• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The rise and downfall of $@

System Name SloMo
Processor G4560
Motherboard MSi H110-PRO-D
Cooling LC-CC-95 @ Arctic Cooling fan
Memory 2X Crucial DDR4 2400 4GB
Video Card(s) Integrated HD 610
Storage WD 500 GB + Seagate 500 GB + Toshiba 3 TB
Display(s) Lenovo D221
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) Manhattan Flex BT Headphones, Encore P-801 stereo speakers
Power Supply Corsair CX450M
Mouse microsoft office mouse
Keyboard Modecom mc-800m
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores gorstak @ hwbot.org
$@ reads as bucket.

So, I had an old pc, and got an amex credit card. Limit was 1500kn and 1000 Eur on it to spend on whatever. Cheap as I am, I decided to make a very cheap pc. But I wanted it to be perfect, as I'm a hardware guy at my soul, and got some exp under my belt.

First purchase was cpu and mobo together. I figured intel's got highest ipc, so all it would take is 4 threads, so I got pentium g4560 on first shipment that came to europe .
Mobo that I bought with it was gigabyte B150-d3h DDR3. I had 2 G.Skill Sniper F3 2x4GB 1866 Mhz sticks from my old machine left and wanted to use them, and this was the only mobo that offered ddr3 in the store. Kaby lake can run both ddr4 and ddr3.
Now I had to order the rest out of my country, since my 1500kn limit was spent, and decided to order from germany. I was looking at reviews and decided to buy patriot M.2 nvme 240gb hellfire...it was faster then equivalent samsung for about 200kn less. Payed it around 900kn. I was also looking at reviews of psu's and found out that corsair cxX5X psu's are awesome, with quality components inside, and quite cheap. I ordered the modular version of it, thinking cables inside will look neat without the extra cables. I also ordered corsair 100r since it was on sale and same price as 88r, or I would have gotten the latter. All that was left to buy was gpu. I've read an article on anandtech or somewhere and saw cooling on zotac 1050ti mini put the other manufacturers to shame, and it was one of the cheapest in the german store that I bought the rest stuff from and decided to order it. I also decided to use all 3 500GB drives that I had and put them as spanned volume for storage, since my mobo didn't have builtin raid.

When the pc was assembled, I felt something was missing, and I ordered LC-PCI-LED. It's basically 2 led strips which could change colors and were being powered with a sata connector. Got it from a local store next month for 100kn.

I got my Lenovo 1050p screen, which was a perfect screen without any backlight bleeding for 500kn at local used hardware store.

So, what's so special about this rig? Obviously, it wont win any benchmark contest?

Ha, that's where the brilliant mind and exp come to play. Basically, the 1050ti has 60 gp/s, meaning it was perfect for my screen resoultion, 1050p. It could deliver it's full gflops strength, meaning my framerate was always around 60 at dx 11 titles, and if I wanted to overclock the card, I could have gotten a 60 fps lock, which was also my screens refresh rate. Instead, I turned on fastsync in nvidia driver options, and didn't really care if framerate would drop, since fastsync eliminated screen tearing. My g4560 proved to be sufficient, as my cpu usage never went above 70% in games since my zotac was at 100%, and there was no stuttering, and the card was dead quiet with it's more then efficient cooling, although wasn't much to look at. My hellfire was a decent purchase, as the tests on user.benchmark.com showed my entire rig was performing above average and the hellfire was outstanding with it being 240% faster then samsung 850. Regarding my 3 500gb drives, they formed the D partition with a 1.5 TB size as raid 1, or spanned volume, but the trick was all three drives were working simultaniously when I was writing data to them, giving me a almost triple speed boost. So, windows was on m.2 with insane loading times, and storage was also fast as hell.

The entire machine was one of the slowest at my current community at the time, bug.hr, but basically, I could run whatever they ran, just about any game, and except in benchmarks, I was probably more comfortable behind my pc, and was enjoying working on it, without much latency and waiting in just about anything. The best part is I didn't even pay for it much, and cheaped out wherever I could, keeping and using the old stuff somewhat sensibly. I spent the rest of the euros on some others stuff and ended which brings me to next part of the story, the downfall.

Basically I ended up in a blockade since my company wasn't paying out sallaries, and my bank sat on my account. I ended up in a blockade that was taking 1/3 of every money I got.

One day, I decided to mess with my mobo bios, change some options inside, like hpet or something, can't remember which, and after saving and rebooting, mobo went to bootloop. Clearing cmos, turning power off, unpluging everything, I tried it all, nothing helped. The used computer store dude where I got my screen from had a programator and it was like 100kn cost to reflash the bios but the idiot in me decided to do things the "proper way". I returned the mobo to store. Ended up looking at my cellphone for the next month, and in the end, after a month of waiting, got an email that my mobo was returned to factory and my funds returned to my credit card. I couldn't get that money since my card was blocked, and decided to sell the m.2 just to afford a new mobo. I managed to sell it, with all my personal data on it, since I had no way of formating the drive, and tried to find another ddr3 mobo, but there was none to be found. I had to buy the cheapest ddr4 mobo I could find, just to afford a ddr4 ram stick. I also got into a fight with residents of my household in the process. I guess it's true when they say good times don't last long?

Anyway, for some reason, wanted to get this off my chest, and in the process offer some build advice, so if you had the patience to read all this, and are able to learn, something good my come of it after all.

Last edited: