• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The screen hurt your eyes?

System Name EA-ZEN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D with -50mW UV
Motherboard Asus X570
Cooling Big Air
Memory 2x16 GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 2080 Ti Strix highly OC’ed
Storage 1 TB NVME, 500 GB SSD etc
Display(s) 2x 27”, main: curved 144Hz SVA with BLS and HDR
Case Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Z906 5.1 and Audeze Headphones, Shure SM7B mic
Power Supply Enough
Mouse Old but gold
Keyboard Mechanical Cherry Brown
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores A lot
Ah, you just know, the irrefutable argument. And why is blue the brightest light? Why not violet?
Blue light is used to simulate white light because blue is the nearest to white. Violet is a much darker color, a mix between blue and red which itself is darker than blue. Do you remember red RGBs? They were used in digital clocks or video recorders etc because they weren’t bright so to not distract too much or annoy you at night. Edit: and also the cheapest most easily to produce RGB back then.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Blue light is used to simulate white light because blue is the nearest to white.
By which metric?
Then again, expected from someone that doesn't need to read because "every kid knows that".

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
Does CRI really matter? Poor CRI in LED light sources is because their spectrum contains too little red light, that's clearly bad for colour reproduction but can it hurt the eyes?

Right but I was specifically commenting on room lighting - he mentioned "CCFL globes above" and "warmer coloured LED's in". (In this case, it's CFL, compact fluorescent lamp, not cold cathode fluorescent lamp).

As you can see from the many comments in this thread, this is not an universal good advice. If a black theme is good for you - can I assume that you're using your PC or phone in a dark room? How dark? Lack of total light makes focusing harder. But I'm aware that there are different shades of dark.
I use black background or dark-ish wallpaper. I don't like to use night or blue light feature as it changes the color too much for my tastes. The black/dark back ground reduces the brightness enough to reduce strain on my eyes.

That said, we need a dark them for this forum.

System Name EA-ZEN
Motherboard Asus X570
Cooling Big Air
Case Full Tower
Power Supply Enough
Mouse Old but gold
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores A lot
By which metric?
Then again, expected from someone that doesn't need to read because "every kid knows that".
I don’t need to explain to you all the basics of the universe, these are things I read years ago, you always ask for sources in discussions? Imagine it’s 1994 or something and two normal people having a discussion, there’s no internet, what then? I will just assume you don’t want to trust me and that’s it. I’m moving on.

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
I use black background or dark-ish wallpaper. I don't like to use night or blue light feature as it changes the color too much for my tastes. The black/dark back ground reduces the brightness enough to reduce strain on my eyes.

That said, we need a dark them for this forum.
Last I remember, from a different thread, was that W1zzard wasn't going to do a dark theme for the site - I don't recall the specifics.

You can get a dark theme extension for Chrome (unsure about other browsers) called Dark Reader. I use it at home and it works good on TPU.

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
Last I remember, from a different thread, was that W1zzard wasn't going to do a dark theme for the site - I don't recall the specifics.

You can get a dark theme extension for Chrome (unsure about other browsers) called Dark Reader. I use it at home and it works good on TPU.
Oh that's right dark reader. I had it installed but was disabled, re-enabled. Thanks for reminding me, so much better now.

Processor Threadripper 3955WX
Motherboard M12SWA-TF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 4U SP3
Memory G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3733 (2x8GB)
Video Card(s) 5700XT + 3x RX 590
Storage A lot
Display(s) ViewSonic G225fB
Case Corsair 760T
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply be quiet! DPP12 1500W
Keyboard IBM F122
Software 10 LTSC
Shame this forum doesn't have a dark mode.

Yup try the Dark Reader extension for Chromium based browsers or 58+ Firefox.

I enable it after sunset when the warm lights are on, gives my room a cozy effect that wouldn't be there with white backgrounds. My monitor got stuck at 100% brightness before the front control board died so that's the problem lol.

Processor i9-9900K @ 5.1GHz (H2O Cooled)
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
Cooling CPU = EK Velocity / GPU = EK Vector
Memory 32GB - G-Skill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHz
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6900 XT (H2O Cooled)
Storage Samsung 860 EVO - 970 EVO - 870 QVO
Display(s) Samsung QN90A 50" 4K TV & LG 20" 1600x900
Case Lian Li O11-D
Audio Device(s) Presonus Studio 192
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 850W
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2S
Keyboard Matias RGB Backlit Keyboard
Software Windows 10 & macOS (Hackintosh)
The first thing to check before buying any monitor/TV(almost all TV's uses PWM) is if
it uses PWM for backlight dimming, PWM can cause eye strain, nausea and headaches. :eek:

Check the reviews, flicker free usually means PWM free.

Other good review sites:

wow out of all the countless reviews I've read on rtings I apparently have been glossing right over that little blurb where they warn about this causing headaches even! My TV uses PWM, but at 960Hz.....can't say I've ever gotten a headache from watching TV though. but still, good to know this bit of info!

System Name EA-ZEN
Motherboard Asus X570
Cooling Big Air
Case Full Tower
Power Supply Enough
Mouse Old but gold
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores A lot
There’s also a day and night app that will automatically increase warmness of white tones when it’s evening and thus reduce blue light / reduce eye strain and the effect blue light has on you, as in, imitating sunlight and making you unnecessarily awake if you want to go to sleep soon.

It used to be an easy solution to white backgrounds, in WinXP and all windows with classic theme one could set all the whites to greys and it would stick in all programs.
But now with these new-fangled interfaces, there still remain some areas completely white.
Also - decrease screen brightness (100->63) and contrast a little (50->45), does wonders.
Always have the bacground lit as bright as the screen surface.
Never watch the screen dehydrated (more easily achieved than thought possible).
Every 30 mins of screen-time look out the window a distance to relax the eyes.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
I don’t need to explain to you all the basics of the universe, these are things I read years ago, you always ask for sources in discussions? Imagine it’s 1994 or something and two normal people having a discussion, there’s no internet, what then? I will just assume you don’t want to trust me and that’s it. I’m moving on.
The thing is, what you are saying is completely wrong.

Blue light cannot be "closest to white" in no way, shape or form. Blue is a narrow range of wavelenghts, while white is a (more or less) uniform combination of every wavelength the eye can see. Blue is not used in backlights because it's somehow "closest to white", it's used because of the three primaries, it has the most energy. And when you pass that through a filter to get green and red, that energy naturally decreases. Thus, trying to get the other primaries from red or green would be doing something "unnatural" (i.e. interacting with a filter while also increasing energy). Not impossible, but a lot harder to implement.

System Name EA-ZEN
Motherboard Asus X570
Cooling Big Air
Case Full Tower
Power Supply Enough
Mouse Old but gold
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores A lot
The thing is, what you are saying is completely wrong.

Blue light cannot be "closest to white" in no way, shape or form. Blue is a narrow range of wavelenghts, while white is a (more or less) uniform combination of every wavelength the eye can see. Blue is not used in backlights because it's somehow "closest to white", it's used because of the three primaries, it has the most energy. And when you pass that through a filter to get green and red, that energy naturally decreases. Thus, trying to get the other primaries from red or green would be doing something "unnatural" (i.e. interacting with a filter while also increasing energy). Not impossible, but a lot harder to implement.
Do you know what RGB means? It means Red Green Blue. Not white. Blue. And a very bright sort of blue is what you think “white” is. Ever saw a car with xenon headlamps? It’s blue. It’s incredibly bright. Yes, sorry, everything I said is true, and if you read the thread you’ll see that everyone here, besides you, is on the same page I am. But good luck with your attitude, as I said, I’m moving on, feel free to believe that I’m “wrong”. Generally your problem with me is that you don’t want to accept me or what I say, no matter what I say, you will always say no to it, I already noticed that hours ago, it’s fine. Stick to your opinion.

A “white” LED:
View attachment 4852EDF0-705B-4FD9-833C-2E6DB24DD61A.webp

Last edited:
I don't see how anyone can disagree with bug's assertion that blue isn't close to white and neither is any color because white isn't a narrow range of frequencies it's the entire gamut of visible electromagnetic radiation. I don't see what 'brightness' has to do with that assertion either, amplitude is independent of frequency.

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Cooling Thermalright Perless Assassin 120 SE
Memory 32GB Fury Beast DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 3060 ti gaming oc pro
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, WD SN850x 1TB, plus some random HDDs
Display(s) LG 27gp850 1440p 165Hz 27''
Case Lian Li Lancool II performance
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
forget about all that and reduce brightness to the minimum (it varies from monitor to monitor so choosing one with a low minimum helps), problem solved, you can all thank me later

all my monitors are always at the lowest brightness all the time, it's the first thing i do when i get one. HDR, peak brightness and nits and shit is nice for tvs at a long distance, or if use the monitor for 2/3 hours a day. If you work all day in front of it it's a definetely no.

System Name EA-ZEN
Motherboard Asus X570
Cooling Big Air
Case Full Tower
Power Supply Enough
Mouse Old but gold
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores A lot
I don't see how anyone can disagree with bug's assertion that blue isn't close to white and neither is any color because white isn't a narrow range of frequencies it's the entire gamut of visible electromagnetic radiation. I don't see what 'brightness' has to do with that assertion either, amplitude is independent of frequency.
And then? Even if, It’s only a deviation from the topic of this thread. He objected to the 100% fact that excessive brightness is bad for human eyes, everyone here agrees to that besides him. Small kids understand this, it’s ridiculous. Blue light is most of that which makes screens shine brighter, hence why there are many blue light filters that filter it out to reduce eye strain. 1000 apps for it, well known fact, but no he doesn’t accept it. This is just personal nonsense. If brightness is completely irrelevant to eye strain, please feel free to look directly into the sun every day for minutes, but don’t come back later and complain that you’re blind. It’s silly.

forget about all that and reduce brightness to the minimum (it varies from monitor to monitor so choosing one with a low minimum helps), problem solved, you can all thank me later

all my monitors are always at the lowest brightness all the time, it's the first thing i do when i get one. HDR, peak brightness and nits and shit is nice for tvs at a long distance, or if use the monitor for 2/3 hours a day. If you work all day in front of it it's a definetely no.
There’s also the fact that the background shouldn’t be too dark, hence why there is something called mood light or whatever Phillips called it (Ambilight?) and many pc monitors have it on their back (not for fun). If you use a bright monitor you shouldn’t be using it in the dark or a room that is too dark, it’s not good for the eyes. He’s right, a few hours, maybe, is okay.

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Cooling Thermalright Perless Assassin 120 SE
Memory 32GB Fury Beast DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 3060 ti gaming oc pro
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, WD SN850x 1TB, plus some random HDDs
Display(s) LG 27gp850 1440p 165Hz 27''
Case Lian Li Lancool II performance
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
i think this resumes to this new trends of constantly inventing new products to keep prices up and especially influencers paid to sell the new products and expensive monitors/tvs with insane nits that will only get you blind. HDR with insane nits and peak brightness and whatever is nice, but not for your eyes, not for a monitor in front of your face, not for long periods of work.

For my experience the best is to adjust the monitor brightness to the overall brightness of your environment, you can't really use low brightness in a room full of sunlight, you'll go blind. Or use high brightness is a poorly light room, again blind.

This whole thread makes me wish I could get another 21" CRT (well, except for the heat output).

System Name EA-ZEN
Motherboard Asus X570
Cooling Big Air
Case Full Tower
Power Supply Enough
Mouse Old but gold
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores A lot
This whole thread makes me wish I could get another 21" CRT (well, except for the heat output).
Why? Just get a LCD with backlight strobing or a OLED.

Motherboard M12SWA-TF
Storage A lot
Case Corsair 760T
Keyboard IBM F122
Software 10 LTSC
Do it, and a fan can help with the heat output ^^

System Name EA-ZEN
Motherboard Asus X570
Cooling Big Air
Case Full Tower
Power Supply Enough
Mouse Old but gold
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores A lot
Do it, and a fan can help with the heat output ^^
The problem is the size and not the heat output! It’s nothing compared to the PC itself

Motherboard M12SWA-TF
Storage A lot
Case Corsair 760T
Keyboard IBM F122
Software 10 LTSC
The problem is the size and not the heat output! It’s nothing compared to the PC itself
It's big in 3 dimensions rather than just 2 heh. My viewsonic is a big heavy boy so it needs a sturdy desk, cheap IKEA ones will crack like a water biscuit under the weight of a tube monitor.

A midtower case looks small when paired with such monitors so the solution is to go full tower!! :roll:

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
So I moved to an 34" Alienware Ultrawide IPS a few years back and started having massive headaches. I did everything, blue light glasses, turning brightness down etc. Never had an issue with my 24" TN monitor...

Then I decided to get a 48" CX and sit a bit further away -- headaches gone.... got a flat 28" 4k IPS for downstairs and no issues either. I think it really is screen dependent.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
Do you know what RGB means? It means Red Green Blue. Not white. Blue. And a very bright sort of blue is what you think “white” is. Ever saw a car with xenon headlamps? It’s blue. It’s incredibly bright. Yes, sorry, everything I said is true, and if you read the thread you’ll see that everyone here, besides you, is on the same page I am. But good luck with your attitude, as I said, I’m moving on, feel free to believe that I’m “wrong”. Generally your problem with me is that you don’t want to accept me or what I say, no matter what I say, you will always say no to it, I already noticed that hours ago, it’s fine. Stick to your opinion.

A “white” LED:
View attachment 252980
They typically have a blue tinge due to the bulbs being coated. Xenon bulb is similar to an incandescent with xenon gas to help the filament last longer. They run hotter, and higher wattage bulbs can actually put out UV light. Xenon can be used in a 'neon' style lamp in which case it glows blue-ish.

you can see they give off visible light through the whole spectrum

but sorry for the thread derail

System Name Cumquat 2021
Processor AMD RyZen R7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus Strix X670E - E Gaming WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool LT720 + CM MasterGel Pro TP + Lian Li Uni Fan V2
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident Z5 Neo 6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ OC RX6800 16GB DDR6 2270Cclk / 2010Mclk
Storage 1x Adata SX8200PRO NVMe 1TB gen3 x4 1X Samsung 980 Pro NVMe Gen 4 x4 1TB, 12TB of HDD Storage
Display(s) AOC 24G2 IPS 144Hz FreeSync Premium 1920x1080p
Case Lian Li O11D XL ROG edition
Audio Device(s) RX6800 via HDMI + Pioneer VSX-531 amp Technics 100W 5.1 Speaker set
Power Supply EVGA 1000W G5 Gold
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core Wired
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless
Software Windows 11 X64 PRO (build 23H2)
Benchmark Scores it sucks even more less now ;)
Ah, you just know, the irrefutable argument. And why is blue the brightest light? Why not violet?
because our eyes aren't set up that way we see in RGB

Human-Eye-Cones-Structure.png

so violet is quite a hard colour for humans to see

System Name EA-ZEN
Motherboard Asus X570
Cooling Big Air
Case Full Tower
Power Supply Enough
Mouse Old but gold
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores A lot
So I moved to an 34" Alienware Ultrawide IPS a few years back and started having massive headaches. I did everything, blue light glasses, turning brightness down etc. Never had an issue with my 24" TN monitor...

Then I decided to get a 48" CX and sit a bit further away -- headaches gone.... got a flat 28" 4k IPS for downstairs and no issues either. I think it really is screen dependent.
It’s because of screen flicker that you had headaches. It’s screen flicker or something similar. Unstable frequency, frequency stability. I read about it a few days ago with monitors being mentioned that have problems with it, I just forgot the term, or it’s the one I just mentioned. Fact is, this is a known problem now and reviewers test for it, now.