• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The shortage drives me to Console

Processor Intel Core i5-9600K
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming
Cooling Corsair H100i AIO
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz 2 x 8GB
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG STRIX RX 570 4GB OC
Storage Sabrent Rocket 1TB PCIe 3.0
Display(s) BenQ Ex2510
Case Cooler Master MB511
Power Supply Corsair RMx 850W
I bought a XBox Series X as the graphics card shortage rages on.

I'm very happy because I don't need to wait forever for an overpriced graphics card. Besides, console is plug and play, no needs to consider overclocking this and that plus the fact that stunning graphics effects are guaranteed.

It's like the difference between Android and Apple. True is that PC can let you do many things, whereas consoles are just for games only. So be it, let the PC play old or glitch games and do productivity tasks.

Goodbye to PC games for me. And good luck to those who are waiting for a graphics card of your preferences.

Inspired by this video

Attachments

• signal-2021-05-11-165156.jpg
    signal-2021-05-11-165156.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
So be it, let the PC play old or glitch games and do productivity tasks. Goodbye to PC games for me. And good luck to those who are waiting for a graphics card of your preferences.
Good luck. Lack of modding in Elder Scrolls style games, or no choice of keyboard & mouse for many genres (FPS, RTS, isometric RPG (eg, Baldur's Gate / Divinity Original Sin), point & click adventures, etc) would drive me nuts. If it works out for you and your choice of games though, then congrats.

System Name Chip
Processor Amd 5600X
Motherboard MSI B450M Mortar Max
Cooling Hyper 212
Memory 2x 16g ddr4 3200mz
Video Card(s) RX 6700
Storage 5.5 tb hd 220 g ssd
Display(s) Normal moniter
Case something cheap
VR HMD Vive
I dont hate consoles i just hate a thing thats 600 dollars and can only game
my pc can at least get some work done
also some of my favourite games are pc exclusive i dont think i could swap to console but im sure a lot of people can

System Name Sunk Cost Fallacy
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock B650E Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev. 7
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7900 XTX Vapor-X
Storage WD Black SN850X 1TB + 2x 2TB, 2x 4TB Crucial MX500, 4TB Samsung 870 Evo.
Display(s) Alienware AW2723DF, LG 27GR93U, LG 27GN950-B
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Bose Companion Series 2 III, Sennheiser GSP600 and HD599 SE - Creative Soundblaster X4
Power Supply bequiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1500w Titanium
Mouse Logitech GPRO X Superlight & G502 X
Keyboard Corsair K65 RGB Mini, Razer Black Widow V3 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
tbh before i pay 1500 bucks for a 3070...

the xbox series s with three months xbox live ultimate for 329€ sounds pretty appealing. especially with crossplay.

System Name His & Hers
Processor R7 5800X/ R9 5950X Stock
Motherboard X570 Aorus Master/ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
Cooling Corsair h150 elite/ Corsair h115i Platinum
Memory 32 GB 4x8GB 4000CL15 Trident Z Royal/ 32 GB 3200 CL14 @3800 CL16 Team T Force Nighthawk
Video Card(s) Evga FTW 3 Ultra 3080ti/ Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090
Storage lots of SSD.
Display(s) LG G2 65/LG C1 48/ LG 27GP850/ MSI 27 inch VA panel 1440p165hz
Case 011 Dynamic XL/ Phanteks Evolv X
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
Power Supply Seasonic Ultra Prime Titanium 1000w/850w
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed/ Logitech G Pro Hero.
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB Platinum/ Logitech G Pro
Xbox series X seems super solid for $499.... I grabbed a PS5 because I like sony exclusives.

I have to say I'm pretty impressed with this generation miles better than what we got in 2013 with the PS4/XBone.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Hope you enjoy the machine, its walled garden, its limitations. It has pros but also has cons, much like the PC.

System Name Main PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS X570 Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)
Cooling EKWB X570 VIII Hero Monoblock, 2x XD5, Heatkiller IV SB block for chipset,Alphacool 3090 Strix block
Memory 4x16GB 3200-14-14-14-34 G.Skill Trident RGB (OC: 3600-14-14-14-28)
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 3090 Strix OC
Storage 500GB+500GB SSD RAID0, Fusion IoDrive2 1.2TB, Huawei HSSD 2TB, 11TB on server used for steam
Display(s) Dell LG CX48 (custom res: 3840x1620@120Hz) + Acer XB271HU 2560x1440@144Hz
Case Corsair 1000D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD599, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Corsair RM1000i
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK2
Software Windows 10 Pro 20H2
Have fun, the Series X is a great console. If games is all that matters, it's by far better value than a PC right now. You made a good choice, I don't see why others in this thread are acting all high and mighty. Buying a console right now is the more logical choice in this market (assuming you can get one), if playing games is all you care about.

Though I do have to nitpick slightly, you say "console is plug and play, no needs to consider overclocking this and that plus the fact that stunning graphics effects are guaranteed". This applies to PC as well though. You don't need to overclock. It's a choice. If you buy the right components, then stunning graphical effects are guaranteed to the same degree as they are on console. And yes, they are plug and play unless you do a strange build. A PC can be a console in every respect; it can be as easy to use, easy to build and easy to setup. What PC offers beyond that is what makes it an appealing platform. The freedom of choice to go beyond a console's capabilities, or to save money and go below a console's capabilities.
Also, the fact that you can use a PC for more than just games and streaming services.

"True is that PC can let you do many things, whereas consoles are just for games only. So be it, let the PC play old or glitch games and do productivity tasks." is a laughable couple of sentences.
I'm on PC and play the latest and greatest, in much higher fidelity than a Series X ever could. So my PC is actually a better games console than yours!
Do we really need to go back to 2007 and have to hate on anything but the thing you have yourself? It's quite childish, honestly. They all have their place and are all good platforms. Nobody's less than for choosing one over the other. That goes both ways... (looking at some of the people in this thread)

Display(s) BenQ Ex2510
Case Cooler Master MB511
tbh before i pay 1500 bucks for a 3070...

the xbox series s with three months xbox live ultimate for 329€ sounds pretty appealing. especially with crossplay.
And tell you "all sold out!". I went to a retailer last Monday was told one Sapphire PULSE 6800 XT and one Nitro+ 6700 XT are available for $1,200 and $850 respectively. Spent two days to research the performance of these two cards then went back on Thursday to buy the 6800 XT with $1,200 cash. As soon as I reached the counter, the man said "sorry, sold out!". I don't mean I'm rich, but I just have some spared money left over last year. Sorry AMD, you have pretty good hardware out there, it's just the local distributors are not doing their jobs right perhaps, or you really have a supply issue. You've just lost one business from me. I hope such unlucky and unpleasant encounter just happen to me and not other hard core enthusiasts in this part of the world where your CEO Lisa Siu comes from.

I just find this so called shortage and scalped priced wave a bit ridiculous. It's been lasted for like how long? More than a year? And players like AMD and nVidia just watch without doing anything constructive!? The most irritating fact is that both keep on launching new models where they can't be purchased practically. Actually, I know people like my friends are gradually ignoring such events. As a matter of fact, at least 6 of my old secondary school mates have switched to XBox and PS5, two of them are for their kids.

After watching numerous videos of PS5 and XBox, I suddenly realize how easy and trouble free they are to play with compared with PC gaming, I'm particularly referring to AAA titles, like CP 2077, Watch Dog Legion, Forza Horizon, The Medium...and many more. I can just use a game pass which is an excellent notion by the way. You don't need to own a game which you have no need to keep after you finished playing it.

$1,500 I have bought an Airpod 2 pro which is an ingenious improvement over the first gen Airpod and this XBox Series X and still have change for perhaps either an iPhone or a PS 5 or a great LG TV for the consoles.

If PC gaming means triple costs of consoles added to troubleshoot ing and unstable FPS, sorry, count me out!

Display(s) BenQ Ex2510
Case Cooler Master MB511
"True is that PC can let you do many things, whereas consoles are just for games only. So be it, let the PC play old or glitch games and do productivity tasks." is a laughable couple of sentences.
I'm on PC and play the latest and greatest, in much higher fidelity than a Series X ever could. So my PC is actually a better games console than yours!
I don't hate PC gaming. In fact, I will still play games on PC. The difference now is that I have more choices.

With what I have had with my PC, I can't have a smooth gaming experience with CP 2077 or Mafia III not even Watch Dog 2! Of course, that's because this rig is inferior to the recommended requirements of those titles and that will not be my own problems should my wallet be more filled with hard dollars. I can go to places like eBay paying scalped price for a 3070. If all the titles are well ported and run butterly smooth, I have no problem paying for that price. The trouble is, I can't be sure, or more precisely, I lack the confidence on these games (PC version) I mean.

I know the X series still have it's limitation s, but for the games I like to play, I can put up with these limitations. So I'm pretty happy about it.

As I've said, I have my options opened.

Unless the prices come back to normal, I will stick to the new consoles I've got as more and more of my friends are doing the same. The same money one can spend on the current GPU, one can spend them more meaningfully on other things if this message happens to wake you up.

Display(s) BenQ Ex2510
Case Cooler Master MB511
Hope you enjoy the machine, its walled garden, its limitations. It has pros but also has cons, much like the PC.
Thanks for the reminders. I have also watched the cons kinda video. I will have to get used to controller first thing first XD

Display(s) BenQ Ex2510
Case Cooler Master MB511
Xbox series X seems super solid for $499.... I grabbed a PS5 because I like sony exclusives.

I have to say I'm pretty impressed with this generation miles better than what we got in 2013 with the PS4/XBone.
True, I also watched this video before buying the toy. It's very sturdy build. Love it's style.

Love sharper images also.

Last edited:

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Aqua Elite 360 V3 1x TL-B12, 2x TL-C12 Pro, 2x TL K12
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, Asus Hyper M.2, 2x SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact RGB
Audio Device(s) JBL 2.1 Deep Bass
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750w G+, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
Nothing wrong with buying a console. You cant buy a GPU, so might as well. Overclocking is just a hobby, and is not needed just to play a game. No point in building a gaming pc if all you do is game.. really.

Display(s) BenQ Ex2510
Case Cooler Master MB511
No point in building a gaming pc if all you do is game.. really.
That's why I don't understand why the prices of GPU are scalped to such a scale that is totally out of proportion. Maybe, there are people whose socks are really too small to fit and have too much money that even banks are refusing their deposit. LOL

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
I bought a XBox Series X as the graphics card shortage rages on.

I'm very happy because I don't need to wait forever for an overpriced graphics card. Besides, console is plug and play, no needs to consider overclocking this and that plus the fact that stunning graphics effects are guaranteed.

It's like the difference between Android and Apple. True is that PC can let you do many things, whereas consoles are just for games only. So be it, let the PC play old or glitch games and do productivity tasks.

Goodbye to PC games for me. And good luck to those who are waiting for a graphics card of your preferences.

Inspired by this video

I doubt you are the only PC gamer switching over to more console games due to high PC part prices.

Display(s) BenQ Ex2510
Case Cooler Master MB511
I doubt you are the only PC gamer switching over to more console games due to high PC part prices.
It just makes me feeling like I am being despised if you see what I mean. We're no beggars. "Look, you ain't deserve a piece of hardware just because you're somebody else" or "If a problem can be solved by money it ain't a problem."

Earlier on, I watched a Youtube video published by Hardware Unboxed. I've never heard of this channel before until I searched for AMD cards reviews then I chanced on it. Amongst all of their videos I watched one regarding a dispute between this channel and nVidia. It shocked me! nVidia basically is complaining the channel not giving positive comments on RTX 3000 series cards and in the letter nVidia sent to the channel, it's full of biased, personal attack and extremely dictatorship tone. Linus Sebastian of Linus Tech Tip which I quite often attend to their videos also voiced out outrageously. I second his response actually. Ray tracing is not everything in the Computer World, and is not new technologies. I am the first frontier to research the technique back in the late 80's in the UK where I received my most memorable tertiary education and university years. Seeing it in real time actions is a fantastic experience. It's all about luck and nVidia has it. But it doesn't mean that rasterization should not be mentioned. In fact, without rasterization prioritized, ray tracing won't work as the way it does. The matter in this dispute between a youtube channel and a giant vendor sends one message to the audience and gamer alike in general is that the arrogance of this vendor in question. Be it nVidia or AMD, I will see it the same way.

Depressed by the shortage over the last 6 months doubled by knowing what I know now as to the "behaviour" of these graphics card vendors be they AMD or nVidia, really pissed me off further. Indulged in the successful sales of their graphics cards, hardcore gamers and enthusiasts are beggars. "Who cares about your $1300" or "We care about miners more than you". Fine! 1 ant can't move a mountain but 1M can. Don't step on those ants.

There are many angry ants out there LOL!

System Name DadsBadAss
Processor I7 13700k w/ HEATKILLER IV PRO Copper Nickel
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk Wifi DDR4
Cooling BarrowCH Boxfish 200mm-HWLabs SR2 420/GTX&GTS 360-BP Dual D5 MOD TOP- 2x Koolance PMP 450S
Memory 4x8gb HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 4000
Video Card(s) Asrock 6800xt PG D w/ Byski A-AR6900XT-X
Storage WD SN850x 1TB NVME M.2/Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB NVMe M.2
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case ThermalTake X71 w/5 Noctua NF-A14 2000 IP67 PWM/3 Noctua NF-F12 2000 IP67 PWM/3 CorsairML120 Pro RGB
Audio Device(s) Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 w/CableMod PRO ModMesh RT-Series Black/Blue
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Aluminun Mechanical Clicky Thing With Blue LEDs, hows that for a name?!
Software Win11pro
Your not the first and certainly wont be the last to supplement their gaming fix with a console rather than a gpu. Many find both to be equally satisfying despite the imaginary line some like to draw in the sand. Theres no reason why you cant do both pc and console gaming with equal gusto! Just do you and ignore the outside noise i say.

System Name I don't name my systems.
Processor i3-12100F 'power limit removed'
Motherboard Asus Prime B660-PLUS D4
Cooling ID-Cooling SE 224 XT ARGB V3 'CPU', 4x Be Quiet! Light Wings + 2x Arctic P12 black case fans.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TuF V2 RTX 3060 Ti @1920 MHz Core/950mV Undervolt
Storage 4 TB WD Red, 1 TB Silicon Power A55 Sata, 1 TB Kingston A2000 NVMe, 256 GB Adata Spectrix s40g NVMe
Display(s) 29" 2560x1080 75 Hz / LG 29WK600-W
Case Be Quiet! Pure Base 500 FX Black
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Hama uRage SoundZ 900+USB DAC
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM 500W 80+ Gold
Mouse Canyon Puncher GM-20
Keyboard SPC Gear GK630K Tournament 'Kailh Brown'
Software Windows 10 Pro
If you are happy with it then thats all that matters and extra options are always a good thing. :)

Personally consoles aint for me since I like modding older games and play a lot of ARPGS 'stuff like Diablo/Grim Dawn,etc' and a controller would drive me crazy in such games, well in most games actually.:laugh:

I'm also one of the ppl whos stuck with an older GPU and was unable to upgrade before this chaos started but luckily I don't have to only play the latest and greatest games only.
Bunch of solid games in my backlog from ~2008-2015 or so and those don't require a stronger card than mine.

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
Earlier on, I watched a Youtube video published by Hardware Unboxed. I've never heard of this channel before until I searched for AMD cards reviews then I chanced on it.
It's run by the main reviewer (Steve) at techspot.com. If you ever just want to read the reviews rather than watch them you can go there.
Amongst all of their videos I watched one regarding a dispute between this channel and nVidia. It shocked me!
It shouldn't, yes it was blatant and more naked in its form but Nvidia is hardly alone in the PC hardware business of doing it nor is the PC hardware business alone in having these kind of pay for reviews and pressures.
Depressed by the shortage over the last 6 months doubled by knowing what I know now as to the "behaviour" of these graphics card vendors be they AMD or nVidia, really pissed me off further. Indulged in the successful sales of their graphics cards, hardcore gamers and enthusiasts are beggars. "Who cares about your $1300" or "We care about miners more than you". Fine! 1 ant can't move a mountain but 1M can. Don't step on those ants.

AMD and Nvidia have a fiduciary responsibility to their stock holders to make as much money as they can be it selling GPU's to gamers, miners, or old ladies at the senior center playing bridge. Your responsibility is your yourself and you took your business elsewhere (to MS) and no one should make you feel "despised" because of it since that is how a free market should work. If people have a blind allegation to a brand or product that is a them problem. If you are over paying for hardware that is a you problem unless the fan boys are willing to put their money where their mouth is and buy you the hardware.

System Name EventHorizon
Processor Intel® Core™ Processor i9-13900KF 8P/16 + 16E 3.00GHz [Turbo 5.7GHz] 36MB Cache LGA1700
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z790-P
Cooling CyberpowerPC MasterLiquid Lite 240mm ARGB CPU Liquid Cooler
Memory 32GB (16GBx2) DDR5/6000MHz Dual Channel Memory (KINGSTON FURY BEAST RGB)
Video Card(s) GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB
Storage 2TB WD BLACK SN850X (PCIe Gen4) NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 7300/6600 MB/s, Rnd R/W up to 1200/110
Display(s) LG 34''
Case CyberPowerPC HYTE Y60 Dual Chamber Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Panoramic View Tempered Glass + 2x120mm
Audio Device(s) Asus Strix w/Alan Finote mod for Windows 11
Power Supply High Power 1300W 80+ GOLD Full Modular w/ PCIE 12+4Pins Connector for PCIe 5.0 graphics cards
Mouse Steelseries Rival 600 wired
Keyboard Steelseries Apex 7 TKL red Switch
Software Win 11 Pro
At least you'll have something to do when the Eastcoast/Southern USA fuel runs out. If it goes as the scaremongers' tout, you better buy a gun and learn to hunt, fish, and build a fire. ;)

System Name Chip
Processor Amd 5600X
Motherboard MSI B450M Mortar Max
Cooling Hyper 212
Memory 2x 16g ddr4 3200mz
Video Card(s) RX 6700
Storage 5.5 tb hd 220 g ssd
Display(s) Normal moniter
Case something cheap
VR HMD Vive
Consoles not free from this magical shortage and covid and scalping down in Australia I have not seen a single next gen console

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Another way to skin a cat would be to buy a pre-built machine from companys like Cyberpower, maingear & originpc. Then just take what you want from your old pc and flog the rest on ebay or craigslist when your new system arrives. People are so desperate for hardware that you'll recoup a fair chunk of the cost you spent on the pre-built.

This seems the easiest and most straightforward way that will guarantee you get a graphics card that you want.

My friend tried to do the same thing with Cyberpower. Though that didnt go to plan unfortunately. They took his money then told him there was an error with the system and they couldnt send him the system he specced out despite him receiving a confirmation email. He called them three times to try and resolve the issue so that he would still get what he paid for but apparently there was nothing even the managers could do. He had to wait two weeks for their system to auto process his refund.

System Name i'm done in
Processor AMD 5950x
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
Memory GSkil 64gb 3600 cl16
Video Card(s) Power Color R7900xtx Hell Hound oh hell ya
Storage 2x wd sn770 2tb 1-4tb wd- hd 2x8tb wd hd actually 1 fire cuda
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 1440p 32" 165hz hdr monitor might go oled
Case Corsair 4000D Air Flow
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G5 80+ Gold
Mouse logitech and roccet wcord
Keyboard logitech
Software W10 forever
i am not going to stop playing with a pc just turning my attention to other projects a console can not handle. have a back log of games that i need to play since i paid for them and now is the prefect time. if some one wants to play only games that is fine. do want you think is in your best interest.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
Nothing wrong with buying a console. You cant buy a GPU, so might as well. Overclocking is just a hobby, and is not needed just to play a game. No point in building a gaming pc if all you do is game.. really.

Heck even if we assume that he could magically buy a GPU, MSRP of graphics cards over the last 2 gens has been out of hand anyways.

Top end went from $700 to $1,500 and cards down the entire stack increased in price a ton as well. Zero attention paid to budget cards, which Gamersnexus recently chided AMD and Nvidia for.

AMD and Nvidia have a fiduciary responsibility to their stock holders to make as much money as they can be it selling GPU's to gamers, miners, or old ladies at the senior center playing bridge. Your responsibility is your yourself and you took your business elsewhere (to MS) and no one should make you feel "despised" because of it since that is how a free market should work. If people have a blind allegation to a brand or product that is a them problem. If you are over paying for hardware that is a you problem unless the fan boys are willing to put their money where their mouth is and buy you the hardware.

The US is a mixed market as is most 1st world countries. If it were a free market, the government would not be there to guarantee patent and IP protections. That's the definition of government intervention, which a free market must operate without. Mind you, even if we assumed these companies did operate in an entirely free market, they don't quality to meet that definition anyways. In order to be a free market, it must operated free of influence (including coordination between corporate or any private entities). Prices would be determined by voluntary exchange between customers and business and customers must have bargaining power to determine prices. Currently I could easily argue that AMD and Nvidia are intentionally setting prices high (before or during this pandemic prices were higher than usual) as they know many customers will have to buy a video card from one of them regardless. This violates the rule that the market must be free of influence (aside from customers of course). Second, many customers need graphics cards in order to work. It could also be argued that because we are in a pandemic and people are stuck home, GPUs are of vital importance for mental health and not a choice but a requirement for many to remain sane. Both these points go against the free and voluntary exchange required of a free market. Last but not least, customers have zero say in the pricing of these cards. That much is evidenced by the fact that Nvidia massively increase pricing for the 2000 series and again customers had no say in pricing during this pandemic. What are you going to do, buy from AMD? They copied Nvidia's jacked up pricing model minus $50 to the tee. That's less competition and more AMD and Nvidia working around each other because they know between the two of them, they own the market.

Given that it's the people that protect the patents and IP of these companies, they also have a responsibility to return the favor by reasonably pricing their graphics card. People always use the "free market" defense but forget that 1) It's not a free market 2) They are indebted to the people whos pockets they are picking and are doing so during a pandemic no less.

Last edited: