• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The shortage drives me to Console

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
I was thinking of dusting off the ps4 to play some fight night champions. That's about it...

Processor Intel Core i5-9600K
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming
Cooling Corsair H100i AIO
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz 2 x 8GB
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG STRIX RX 570 4GB OC
Storage Sabrent Rocket 1TB PCIe 3.0
Display(s) BenQ Ex2510
Case Cooler Master MB511
Power Supply Corsair RMx 850W
Sony and Microsoft can set the MSRP, but scalpers still going to scalp unless you are lucky enough to find one.

Yes, I am lucky. So are my friends, many have switched to consoles now.

I didn't know how powerful XSX is until I watch the reviews and several enthusiasts' youtube sharing.

Another lucky thing I've got is that while I was hoping to get a high end graphics card like the RX 6800 XT, I was "cut off" from it and in return I get an XSX which is practically a RX 6800 XT/RTX 3080 compatible with FidelityFX class of performance at RTX 3070 MSRP value. I still reckon it is DLSS comparable performance. The dynamic resolution scaling is just fabulous!

scalp if they must:laugh: I couldn't care less. These street beggars are just so pathetic.

I checked Ebay before posting my comment and the xbox series x is being sold for around $750 and the PS5 is being sold for between $750 and $850

Granted the scalping is nowhere near as bad as gaming GPUs for PC
I have the following views towards scalpers and that is so without prejudice.

I grow up in this part of the world where the population is rather high. People take opportunities to make money, fast money I mean. There are countless stories about how successful tycoons are created and being admired for their "success", of course nobody mentions anything about the way they've got from nothing to everything in no time. I was brought up in a middle class family, my father the bread and butter made his way from a bank clerk to a bank manager earning as nVidia said hard earned money. He sent us to the UK for tertiary education and spent all his earnings. He retired and migrated to Australia with his retirement funds, had he not sent us to the UK he would have became a real millionaire. Integrity is everything in his time as a banker. Today, such integrity is strange in each and every single financial institution, even the Federal Reserve is no exception. I worked for the Commonwealth Bank of Australia, Deutsche Bank, S.W.I.F.T, Hewlett-Packard and State Street Bank myself and there are certain core values we all believe in. Those tycoons mentioned earlier made their money out of some "illegal" ways yet government authorities cover for them. As a consequence, this culture nurtures a scalper mentality in almost every opportunists in the land.

The western civilization originally was free from such bad influence but as the world goes round; globalization normalizes and as it gains general popularities, like a pandemic, such bad influence sweeps across the Atlantic to the other side of the world. One good example is the properties' price in London, New York, Vancouver and Toronto. Same in Tokyo and Singapore where capitalism is seen as a back door opened for such viral attacks, silently. People won't notice coz this viral attack is gradual without sound. Have you seen the movie "Hunt for the Red October"? The Red October was built to shower multiple nuclear warheads out of New York, Washington and the entire east coast with little or no warning on or before impact. This "silent" change of culture and peoples' mentality in the USA and the UK are step-by-step without one feeling being changed. In fact, the supply was not that short of, but some "invisible force" create a false "high demand" either by way of propaganda or fake buyers. The fact which makes one shivers is that such fake buyers are not a few in numbers but a giant network of people that collaborate together on one single goal - Scalp whatever is scalp-able. Unfortunately, the West takes it! But of course, the West has already been infiltrated. Blame for no one else but yourself. Why did politicians in bed with foreign women from the East and makes decision based on the good feel of his johnson?! Too much "V":laugh:

I wouldn't surprise of one day the USA falls apart which is in fact not far from that day. The more the West adapts to these bad influence without feeling nothing wrong, the happier that "Silent" invader is. While she is growing, you the USA is declining.:rockout:

Referring particularly to the shortage of graphics card which by extension the shortage of semiconductors, from I see is that the USA relies too much on TSAMC and places exceedingly too much trust on the Taiwanese. Imagine one day if the cold war between the USA and the China turns to a hot one, where will Taiwan stand? The answer is obvious if one studies WWII history hard enough.

The fall of the USA together with Christianity commences from here-on-in.

I was thinking of dusting off the ps4 to play some fight night champions. That's about it...
I really wish that the USA can get independent from TSMC and the Far East chain as soon as she possibly can. Not until then will the nation can produce their own iPhone, XBox, EVGA cards...etc. Stand up strong again please, don't let them win. God bless America!

Those are my last words.

Last edited:

FireFox

The Power Of Intel
Processor Intel i7 10700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus XII Hero
Cooling 2x Black Ice Nemesis GTX 480 - 1x Black Ice Nemesis GTX 420 - D5 VPP655P - 13x Corsair LL120 - LL140
Memory 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 3600Hz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORCE RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 500GB/1TB - WD Blue SN550 1TB - 2 X WD Blue 1TB - 3 X WD Black 1TB
Display(s) Asus ROG PG278QR 2560x1440 144Hz (Overclocked 165Hz )/ Samsung
Case Corsair Obsidian 1000D
Audio Device(s) I prefer Gaming-Headset
Power Supply Enermax MaxTytan 1250W 80+ Titanium
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard Virtuis Advanced Gaming Keyboard ( Batboard )
Software Windows 10 Enterprise/Windows 10 Pro/Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores My PC runs FiFA
So pathetic. I'm really sorry for you and your wallet
Why is that pathetic?
It's a hobby some people enjoy, i really like Retro PCs.

Display(s) BenQ Ex2510
Case Cooler Master MB511
Why is that pathetic?
It's a hobby some people enjoy, i really like Retro PCs.
Have it your way, I mean as long as you enjoy it, it's nothing bad. Keep enjoying while it lasts.

Last edited:
System Name The86
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASROCKS B450 Steel Legend
Cooling AMD Stealth
Memory 2x8gb DDR4 3200 Corsair
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti
Storage WD Black 512gb, WD Blue 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24in
Case Raidmax Alpha Prime
Power Supply 700W Thermaltake Smart
Mouse Logitech Mx510
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow 2012
Software Windows 10 Professional
Have it your way, I mean as long as you enjoy it, it's nothing bad. Keep enjoying while it lasts.

It's not pathetic at all, I'm sorry you think so, but nothing beats playing doom on a real 486, or hearing the 98SE boot sound again. It's actually quite fun, there are millions of older games out there, most of them more fun and interesting to anything made in the last decade. But enjoy your inferior console experience, and the walled garden approach they take, enjoy not having any control over your games, and being forced to buy into the cash shop on modern games to remain competative, with a bunch of a 12 yr old's that only know phrases related to your mother.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
It's not pathetic at all, I'm sorry you think so, but nothing beats playing doom on a real 486, or hearing the 98SE boot sound again.
I think he meant it as in "it's pathetic if you were expecting todays graphics and forced back to 1990-whatever for financial reasons"

Of course it's perfectly valid and wonderful to enjoy retro for what it is.

las

System Name Obsolete / Waiting for Zen 5 or Arrow Lake
Processor i9-9900K @ 5.2 GHz @ 1.35v / No AVX Offset
Motherboard AsRock Z390 Taichi
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32GB G.Skill @ 4000/CL15
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX 4090 Phantom / Undervolt + OC
Storage Samsung 990 Pro 2TB + WD SN850X 1TB + 64TB NAS/Server
Display(s) 27" 1440p IPS @ 280 Hz + 77" QD-OLED @ 144 Hz VRR
Case Fractal Design Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Asus Essence STX / Upgraded Op-Amps
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x / Native 12VHPWR
Mouse Logitech G Pro Wireless Superlight
Keyboard Corsair K60 Pro / MX Low Profile Speed
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Well said. Hope it elevates some people's thinking.

I said in previous thread, but don't mind to repeat: Microsoft has introduced Game Pass, much like Origin. You paid a premium for the whole year and you're all set. Say you like playing Cyberpunk, you've got it! You like Halo Infinite, you've go it! You like Crysis Remastered, you've got it! You want Watch Dog Legion, you'ver go it! Get this: they all sum up to USD 200 if you purchase them from Steam for instance, you save quite a lot by getting the game pass instead. In additions, you've got many more which are free now. If you want RDR 2, you've to pay another 50 bucks to Steam if you play it on PC. Hope it clears things a bit for you in case you're not aware of it.

Dude, the games on that pass are old or bad, most people already played most of them. Hence the low price.

I had it on PC, but sadly Microsoft Store is ABSOLUTELY USELESS (revamp incoming soon) and on my Xbox One X (which is collecting dust btw).

Xbox Game Pass is a joke unless you have been in jail for the past 5-10 years maybe.

A console for me, is about exclusives, and Xbox have none. I can play all the games on PC. I bought PS4 Pro and XSX both on release. Used the PS4 Pro 10 times as much because of superior exclusives, most which can't be played on PC.

Last edited:
System Name Chip
Processor Amd 5600X
Motherboard MSI B450M Mortar Max
Cooling Hyper 212
Memory 2x 16g ddr4 3200mz
Video Card(s) RX 6700
Storage 5.5 tb hd 220 g ssd
Display(s) Normal moniter
Case something cheap
VR HMD Vive
Dude, the games on that pass are old or bad, most people already played most of them. Hence the low price.

I had it on PC, but sadly Microsoft Store is ABSOLUTELY USELESS (revamp incoming soon) and on my Xbox One X (which is collecting dust btw).

Xbox Game Pass is a joke unless you have been in jail for the past 5-10 years maybe.

A console for me, is about exclusives, and Xbox have none. I can play all the games on PC. I bought PS4 Pro and XSX both on release. Used the PS4 Pro 10 times as much because of superior exclusives, most which can't be played on PC
Honestly this sounds like a person who can't get gamepass and is grumpy it comes with certain games day one on gamepass

las

Cooling Custom Water
Honestly this sounds like a person who can't get gamepass and is grumpy it comes with certain games day one on gamepass

You are kidding right? I'm mainly a PC gamer, all the games on Xbox Game Pass are free, cheap or already played to death long time ago

System Name Chip
Processor Amd 5600X
Cooling Hyper 212
Video Card(s) RX 6700
Case something cheap
VR HMD Vive
You are kidding right? I'm mainly a PC gamer, all the games on Xbox Game Pass are free, cheap or already played to death long time ago
Um dirt 5 has not been free doom eternal has not been free list goes on and I don't know anyone who has played all the great games gamepass has to offer

las

Cooling Custom Water
Um dirt 5 has not been free doom eternal has not been free list goes on and I don't know anyone who has played all the great games gamepass has to offer

Haha, Dirt 5 is crap and Doom Eternal I got for free long time ago with my 3080, key was included just like cyberpunk 2077 key + cod cold war key - also people torrent games you know, pc games are always free if you want

AGAIN, why do you think Game Pass is cheap? Mostly older games or games who failed on release and then was sold cheap.

Game pass has exactly ZERO games I want to play.

System Name Chip
Processor Amd 5600X
Cooling Hyper 212
Video Card(s) RX 6700
Case something cheap
VR HMD Vive
Haha, Dirt 5 is crap and Doom Eternal I got for free long time ago with my 3080, key was included just like cyberpunk 2077 key + cod cold war key - also people torrent games you know, pc games are always free if you want

AGAIN, why do you think Game Pass is cheap? Mostly older games or games who failed on release and then was sold cheap.

Game pass has exactly ZERO games I want to play.
that dont mean its bad if i dident hate the concept i would def have it
also piracy is ILLEGAL

las

Cooling Custom Water
that dont mean its bad if i dident hate the concept i would def have it
also piracy is ILLEGAL

And? People are still doing it

Game pass is cheap for a reason, who the hell buys a console to play pc games, this is why Xbox is failing hard compared to Playstation, no true exclusives

My Xbox One X is collecting dust for a reason, it's not even worth booting up, last time I used it, was to play a UHD Bluray. Luckily it was cheap as hell :laugh:
Playstation is way better because you actually gets true exclusives, like Nintendo Switch and both sells better than Xbox because of this fact.

Xbox w/ Game Pass is good for people with no PC maybe, not me, snoozefest or games that I have already played to death

You get free games on Playstation too if you buy Plus, better games on average

Last edited:
System Name Chip
Processor Amd 5600X
Cooling Hyper 212
Video Card(s) RX 6700
Case something cheap
VR HMD Vive
And? People are still doing it

Game pass is cheap for a reason, who the hell buys a console to play pc games, this is why Xbox is failing hard compared to Playstation, no true exclusives

My Xbox One X is collecting dust for a reason, it's not even worth booting up, last time I used it, was to play a UHD Bluray. Luckily it was cheap as hell :laugh:
Playstation is way better because you actually gets true exclusives, like Nintendo Switch and both sells better than Xbox because of this fact.

Xbox w/ Game Pass is good for people with no PC maybe, not me, snoozefest or games that I have already played to death

You get free games on Playstation too if you buy Plus, better games on avera
people still murder other people does that make it better?

las

Cooling Custom Water
people still murder other people does that make it better?

So piracy is as bad as murder? :laugh: just stop this non-sense please. Game pass is cheap for a reason, the end.

Playstation dominates Xbox regardless of Game Pass. I might get Game Pass again some time on my old dusty Xbox One X but not right now. Depends on games and if price stays low or it won't be worth it at all :peace:

People sign up and play the few games they want to play, then stop paying for a long time till catalog is different and better, thats how streaming works in general, very few people keeps paying if content is trash OR they have seen/played it all.. Game pass does not add much new stuff, even tho Microsoft claims that.. It's mostly cheap trash being added

Last edited:
System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Processor i9-9900K @ 5.1GHz (H2O Cooled)
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
Cooling CPU = EK Velocity / GPU = EK Vector
Memory 32GB - G-Skill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHz
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6900 XT (H2O Cooled)
Storage Samsung 860 EVO - 970 EVO - 870 QVO
Display(s) Samsung QN90A 50" 4K TV & LG 20" 1600x900
Case Lian Li O11-D
Audio Device(s) Presonus Studio 192
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 850W
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2S
Keyboard Matias RGB Backlit Keyboard
Software Windows 10 & macOS (Hackintosh)
saying you're going to buy a new console because you cannot find a current gen GPU is like saying "well I couldn't find a unicorn in my hunt today so I'll try trapping an elf tomorrow"

good luck....

las

Cooling Custom Water
saying you're going to buy a new console because you cannot find a current gen GPU is like saying "well I couldn't find a unicorn in my hunt today so I'll try trapping an elf tomorrow"

good luck....

He can get a last gen console :roll: maybe

Processor 5800x(2)/5700g/5600x/5600g/2700x/1700x/1700
Motherboard MSI B550 Carbon (2)/ MSI z490 Unify/Asus Strix B550-F/MSI B450 Tomahawk (3)
Cooling EK AIO 360 (2)/EK AIO 240, Arctic Cooling Freezer II 280/EVGA CLC 280/Noctua D15/Cryorig M9(2)
Memory 32 GB Ballistix Elite/32 GB TridentZ/16GB Mushkin Redline Black/16 GB Dominator
Video Card(s) Asus Strix RTX3060/EVGA 970(2)/Asus 750 ti/Old Quadros
Storage Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB/WD Black M.2 NVMe 500GB/Adata 500gb NVMe
Display(s) Acer 1080p 22"/ (3) Samsung 22" 1080p
Case (2) Lian Li Lancool II Mesh/Corsair 4000D /Phanteks Eclipse 500a/Be Quiet Pure Base 500/Bones of HAF
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 850G(2)/EVGA Supernova GT 650w/Phantek Amps 750w/Seasonic Focus 750w
Mouse Generic Black wireless (5)
Keyboard Generic Black wireless (5)
Software Win 10/Ubuntu
Another way to skin a cat would be to buy a pre-built machine from companys like Cyberpower, maingear & originpc. Then just take what you want from your old pc and flog the rest on ebay or craigslist when your new system arrives. People are so desperate for hardware that you'll recoup a fair chunk of the cost you spent on the pre-built.

This seems the easiest and most straightforward way that will guarantee you get a graphics card that you want.

My friend tried to do the same thing with Cyberpower. Though that didnt go to plan unfortunately. They took his money then told him there was an error with the system and they couldnt send him the system he specced out despite him receiving a confirmation email. He called them three times to try and resolve the issue so that he would still get what he paid for but apparently there was nothing even the managers could do. He had to wait two weeks for their system to auto process his refund.
I don't think this strategy is working for the majority of people. Ebay and reddit forums are FULL of these gpu gutted systems that they can't sell because the gpu or a very high end cpu is what they are looking for. These prebuilts are usually fitted with i5 10400 cpus, crappy psu's, subpar motherboards etc. so they are barely a bargain and a hard sell to many PC enthusiasts.

As for me. I have just sold off most of my higher end graphics cards to gamers in favor of console only gaming, putting my money into WCG crunching machines and paying off some debt. I find that all I really do with graphics cards these days is overclock and benchmark, then I'm pretty much done with them. Considering this, it's just not worth my money having these cards until prices come way down.

System Name schweinestalle
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700 X
Motherboard Asus Prime - Pro X 570 + Asus PCI -E AC68 Dual Band Wi-Fi Adapter
Cooling Standard Air
Memory Kingston HyperX 2 x 16 gb DDR 4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 5700 XT 8 GB Strix
Storage Intel SSD 240 gb Speed Demon & WD 240 SSD Blue & WD 250 SSD & WD Green 500gb SSD & Seagate 1 TB Sata
Display(s) Asus XG 32 V ROG
Case Corsair AIR ATX
Audio Device(s) Realtech standard
Power Supply Corsair 850 Modular
Mouse CM Havoc
Keyboard Corsair Cherry Mechanical
Software Win 10
Benchmark Scores Unigine_Superposition 4K ultra 7582
I don't think this strategy is working for the majority of people. Ebay and reddit forums are FULL of these gpu gutted systems that they can't sell because the gpu or a very high end cpu is what they are looking for. These prebuilts are usually fitted with i5 10400 cpus, crappy psu's, subpar motherboards etc. so they are barely a bargain and a hard sell to many PC enthusiasts.

As for me. I have just sold off most of my higher end graphics cards to gamers in favor of console only gaming, putting my money into WCG crunching machines and paying off some debt. I find that all I really do with graphics cards these days is overclock and benchmark, then I'm pretty much done with them. Considering this, it's just not worth my money having these cards until prices come way down.

i find i agree with u about gf cards , and my 5700xt is still doing all very good .

System Name Locutus TT P90 open air case
Processor Intel I7 12700K
Motherboard Asus Z690 WIFI D4
Cooling NZXT 280 mm AIO
Memory 32 Gig Corsair Vengeance 3600 DDR4
Video Card(s) Zotac 3080 Holo LHR
Storage 3 various branded SSDs and 6 TB Seagate HD
Display(s) LG 32'' g-sync 144 Hz VA IPS
Case P90 open air case
Power Supply EVGA G2 1 KW
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Software Win 11 Pro
Funny thing is I had money set aside got frustrated and bought a high end SVS subwoofer instead. If I game at all on PC it is COD MW FPS games and I am the only player on PC most of my lobby/opponents are cross platform.

Display(s) BenQ Ex2510
Case Cooler Master MB511

The true fact is that more and more PC gamers will be moving to consoles, nobody can stop this trend. And once it starts going, it will not be reversed - console gamers will not moving to PC. The consequence MIGHT be the console market grows. 2/3 of the world population plays video games.

To say however, console will burry PC gaming is still early to say. To account for the loss of market sharing due to this shortage, who is to be blamed? The answers are scalpers, miners and those who are "change of hearts"?

More about the miners: who encourages them? The bitcoin business which is toppling the US dollars domination is winning day-by-day, again "silently". Who sparks this extremely slow motion "Pearl Harbor" attack or Ultra slow motion "911 attack" which killed over 3000 people in just a couple of splashes? Both nVidia and AMD is no doubt the clear answer. The USA uses her own technologies to destroy herself sounds unbelievable and unconvincing. But seeing that both CEOs are doing nothing to correct the course of the current situation, should they be interviewed and investigated by the FBI to put them behind bars? To topple the US dollar via money laundry which clearly is one way people use bitcoin for is a crime. Both nVidia and AMD GF cards are built with such power to be used for facilitating the operation of bitcoin, Ethereum and other similar digital currencies has already established enough grounds for the FBI to take actions.

It would be painful for those who uses GF cards in the proper way namely gaming, during this shortage. But the USA administration must swiftly proceed to investigating these two GF cards manufacturers and execute orders to halt the production of these cards. Gamers are just expected to wait a little longer. For the sake of the national security of the USA, this wait is necessary.

But it is clear the US has no gust to do that because they are inferior to the $$$ which goes into their pockets, including the politicians.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
@mynote4 Nah, when the graphics card shortage and price gouging goes away, you'll be back. You know it makes sense. ;) :D