• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The State of Cryptocurrency

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
It is? I have read about 20 hospital and local city government ransomware that were forced to pay in last 12 months alone, and it's increasing at a compounding rate as price goes up.

Price, and by proxy bitcoin, has nothing to do with it. Ransomware writers would demand irreversible transactions like western union wire transfers to a no-laws nation if cryptocurrency were banned. They cash out nearly immediately anyways so price does not matter to them.

The issue is the cryptography that powers ransomware, and you can't really outlaw that.

enjoy all your riches.

Don't need to. Money doesn't buy happiness.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Price, and by proxy bitcoin, has nothing to do with it. Ransomware writers would demand irreversible transactions like western union wire transfers to a no-laws nation if cryptocurrency were banned. They cash out nearly immediately anyways so price does not matter to them.

The issue is the cryptography that powers ransomware, and you can't really outlaw that.

Don't need to. Money doesn't buy happiness.

I have never seen a single ransomware ask for western union... and even if it did exist it existed in primitive times... it would easily be traceable now and setup before the hospital/government would release the funds. Also the frequency of the attacks would be lower. Crpyto makes it easier to be a criminal no doubt about it.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
I have never seen a single ransomware ask for western union...

Because it costs more. Expect it when crypto is banned (along with increased cost).

it would easily be traceable now and setup before the hospital/government would release the funds.

There'll always be a bank that won't cooperate somewhere.

Crpyto makes it easier to be a criminal no doubt about it.

That may be true, but it's not enough reason to outlaw it IMO.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I suppose so, and corporations are kept in check because of crpyto as well, their power is limited when they are not monopoly. I don't know though, it seems to be the U.S. Government doesn't enforce the laws so well lately when it comes to money laundering etc, it makes me wonder why doesn't everyone just go full on corrupt, I think that will happen in next ten years or so. and soon after the value of the dollar will be worthless, especially when are 6 trillion war debts stay unpaid with compounding interest, and 23 trillion total now even though it only like 14 trillion actual, but still. once the democrats win in response to trump and add on a few trillion to that with universal healthcare, etc "unexpected it cost this much" as an excuse...

I don't know, eh. just seems like the world is playing a dangerous game lately, specifically America. Debt is no big deal anymore. How long can that last before it all collapses. Maybe crypto is the future

D

Deleted member 158293

no but critical systems should never be hooked up to an online network to begin with. LAN only imo. the context of your argument is different than mine, but thanks for trying to distort it.

regardless I don't care either way. i have lived 15 years on 10 bucks an hour, and quite frankly I am plenty happy. enjoy all your riches.

Hmm ok then, nobody including banks, should be able to use cryptography either because bad people could use it? The basic idea is the same.

As for debt, under the current monetary system debt is required. Without debt the borrowing system can't function, and when borrowing too much, well we will see what happens.

System Name future xeon II
Processor DUAL SOCKET xeon e5 2686 v3 , 36c/72t, hacked all cores @3.5ghz, TDP limit hacked
Motherboard asrock rack ep2c612 ws
Cooling case fans,liquid corsair h100iv2 x2
Memory 96 gb ddr4 2133mhz gskill+corsair
Video Card(s) 2x 1080 sc acx3 SLI, @STOCK
Storage Hp ex950 2tb nvme+ adata xpg sx8200 pro 1tb nvme+ sata ssd's+ spinners
Display(s) philips 40" bdm4065uc 4k @60
Case silverstone temjin tj07-b
Audio Device(s) sb Z
Power Supply corsair hx1200i
Mouse corsair m95 16 buttons
Keyboard microsoft internet keyboard pro
Software windows 10 x64 1903 ,enterprise
Benchmark Scores fire strike ultra- 10k time spy- 15k cpu z- 400/15000
bitcoin has now briefly been on 11k $, and analysts predict it will rise in a few months to 40k$ per unit.

It is? I have read about 20 hospital and local city government ransomware that were forced to pay in last 12 months alone, and it's increasing at a compounding rate as price goes up.
Ok, now compare that number to theft crimes IRL. I'm not saying it's not happening or that it's not serious, just that it's not rampant and the whole of the cryptocurrency world shouldn't have to close up shop because of the actions of a few nitwits.

Last edited:

If they had invested in security that would never have happened, with few steps as a network administrator, I could have solved all their problems hehe

bitcoin has now briefly been on 11k $, and analysts predict it will rise in a few months to 40k$ per unit.

Few companies have already trillion dollar market value, to me is just normal cryptocoin market value hitting that next year.

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
i wish i had bought one whole bitcoin back at the beginning of the year.. but at least i didnt sell what i had.. my hodling is paying off.. he he..

neo is my big loser.. it was worth hundreds now its worth 15 dollars.. i have 25 of the f-cking things i sold half my litecoin to buy neo.. ouch..

trog

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
i wish i had bought one whole bitcoin back at the beginning of the year.. but at least i didnt sell what i had.. my hodling is paying off.. he he..

neo is my big loser.. it was worth hundreds now its worth 15 dollars.. i have 25 of the f-cking things i sold half my litecoin to buy neo.. ouch..

trog

there is no stopping bitcoin now, i'd trade everything you have for whatever small amount you can get, and it will still double in value. I'm still worried we are helping China rise to ultimate power with bitcoin, those massive mines on the river dams... there is no doubt in my mind they control majority of coins. since the government seized a lot of those massive mines, I saw one photo on an niche website of this dam in China, massive massive farm... miners everywhere in like a massive cave... it was lit. lol more power to them, death comes soon enough for all of us, mother nature has had enough with us. :) we got 20 years at best left before mass displacement begins, 3-5 years if you live in India where 600 million might be out of water soon.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
regardless I don't care either way. i have lived 15 years on 10 bucks an hour, and quite frankly I am plenty happy. enjoy all your riches.

Orly?

I suppose so, and corporations are kept in check because of crpyto as well, their power is limited when they are not monopoly. I don't know though, it seems to be the U.S. Government doesn't enforce the laws so well lately when it comes to money laundering etc, it makes me wonder why doesn't everyone just go full on corrupt, I think that will happen in next ten years or so. and soon after the value of the dollar will be worthless, especially when are 6 trillion war debts stay unpaid with compounding interest, and 23 trillion total now even though it only like 14 trillion actual, but still. once the democrats win in response to trump and add on a few trillion to that with universal healthcare, etc "unexpected it cost this much" as an excuse...

I don't know, eh. just seems like the world is playing a dangerous game lately, specifically America. Debt is no big deal anymore. How long can that last before it all collapses. Maybe crypto is the future

there is no stopping bitcoin now, i'd trade everything you have for whatever small amount you can get, and it will still double in value. I'm still worried we are helping China rise to ultimate power with bitcoin, those massive mines on the river dams... there is no doubt in my mind they control majority of coins. since the government seized a lot of those massive mines, I saw one photo on an niche website of this dam in China, massive massive farm... miners everywhere in like a massive cave... it was lit. lol more power to them, death comes soon enough for all of us, mother nature has had enough with us. :) we got 20 years at best left before mass displacement begins, 3-5 years if you live in India where 600 million might be out of water soon.

Those aren't happy thoughts from a happy person.

System Name money pit..
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Bitcoin is around $12500 now.. i think what it does now is anybodies guess.. :)

trog

Outback Bronze

Staff member
System Name Raptor Baked
Processor 14900k w.c.
Motherboard Z790 Hero
Cooling w.c.
Memory 32GB Hynix
Video Card(s) Zotac 4080 w.c.
Storage 2TB Kingston kc3k
Display(s) Gigabyte 34" Curved
Case Corsair 460X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PCIe5 850w
Mouse Asus
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win 11
Benchmark Scores Cool n Quiet.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
Price can go up or down but many people are sweating it don't spike a resurgence of mining and the resultant Price rise/demand for hardware

D

Deleted member 158293

Bitcoin mining at an all time high.

For those worried about hardware prices, so far only bitcoin proper is going up in fiat value and bitcoin has no need of regular CPUs or GPUs, only altcoins need those.

System Name money pit..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Bitcoin mining at an all time high.

For those worried about hardware prices, so far only bitcoin proper is going up in fiat value and bitcoin has no need of regular CPUs or GPUs, only altcoins need those.

bitcoin makes the headlines but the main altcoins are following bitcoin up.. they missed this last little overnight spike but thats about all..

trog

Crime done in FIAT outshines those done in cryptocurrency probably thousand times.

People will use whatever they want to do crime and pay for it. Heck, they even use gold bars.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
I cashed out just over .1 BTC when it was just below $7000. Had I waited until today to do that, instead of roughly $700 I could have pulled over $1300. That really rustles my jimmies... but then I remember I can easily make that up by taking a few extra days at work, and I can do so in about 2 weeks or so. I took me over a year to mine .1BTC.

FWIW I needed a car and that helped me get one. So now I'm rebuilding my little BTC stash until next time...

System Name Gaming System / HTPC-Server
Processor i7 8700K (@4.8 Ghz All-Core) / R7 5900X
Motherboard Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming / MSI B450 Mortar Max
Cooling CM ML360 / CM ML240L
Memory 16Gb Hynix @3200 MHz / 16Gb Hynix @3000Mhz
Video Card(s) Zotac 3080 / Colorful 1060
Storage 750G MX300 + 2x500G NVMe / 40Tb Reds + 1Tb WD Blue NVMe
Display(s) LG 27GN800-B 27'' 2K 144Hz / Sony TV
Case Xigmatek Aquarius Plus / Corsair Air 240
Audio Device(s) On Board Realtek
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750W / Andyson TX-700 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero / K400+
Keyboard Wooting Two / K400+
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15 = 1542 3D Mark Timespy = 9758
I hear ya... I remember selling a bunch of ETH at $10 each and then seeing it hit $800 the following year. :D

Losing all my mined bitcoin back when it was $3 a pop didn't seem like a big deal. It stung a little more when I saw it reach close to $20k, if only because losing all my bitcoin made me stop bothering to mine it any more.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
aye Bitcoin is the future I have no doubts now, I just wish it didn't have to use so much electricity... we have messed up the Earth more than even scientists realize I think, Bitcoin did not help it any. the permafrost melting in Canada 70 years earlier than predicted has me scared. humans will always be blinded by their greed and envy, this is why mother nature will "correct" our population numbers within 20 years whether we like it or not, and it's our own fault.

System Name Gamer
Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard AsRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/AX
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming D
Case Phanteks Eclipse P200A D-RGB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Why can't BTC go on a bull run during the winter again, so I can get free heat from it instead of having to worry about cooling costs...

System Name money pit..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
just a tad under $13500 now and still seemingly going up vertically..

its gone up well over 2000 dollars in the last 24 hours.. it does make you wonder just what is driving it and how far its gonna go.. he he

trog

D

Deleted member 158293

Yeeeeah this price spike right before AMD launch event is a great hodl test, at least it's not the Threadripper launch!

Expected a pullback 2k+ ago so who knows, this is unknown territory.

bitcoin makes the headlines but the main altcoins are following bitcoin up.. they missed this last little overnight spike but thats about all..

Oh seems the institutional investors (and of all things NFL players, but that's another story) are really popping bitcoin. A couple major alts are somewhat following on tailwinds, maybe from people hoping to regain lost ground. That's quite a big difference from last time at this level.