• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The TPU Darkroom - Digital SLR and Photography Club

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
bandung, indonesia
pushed by instagram's filter
IMG_20161106_173702.jpg

blurry spot on the right is rain drop :D :D

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4, 3x Corsair ML140 front intake, 1x rear exhaust
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother
Ever since I got my camera, there's been one spot I've really wanted to hit and just kinda make a day of it. For the past coupla years I've been working as one of two maintenance guys at an old church and school. I love my job, too. The pay and benefits are beyond just living - I don't do paycheck to paycheck anymore. And it only gets better as I rack up more skills and earn raises, which are a consistent given. I've always been a jack of all trades - I like to always be learning new things at the jobs I do - I can already run a lot of equipment and tackle difficult repairs, so it's a great fit. The guy I work under is a master of countless tasks and he teaches me a lot - and he swears he's still learning things after 30 years!

But the best part for me is really just being there. I never get tired of looking around. It's a place with a lot of history and character... so many interesting things everywhere you look. The school itself is super-nostalgic, and not just because I went to school there as a kid. I keep telling myself I'll slide over with my gear on a day off... but I'm always so busy/tired that I never make it. I work hard, man. And there is no way I will ever have time to stop and do anything on days when I'm working. It's one of those jobs where quite often, you really have to be the man and step-up. We don't mess around much. That's why we are treated well. We're asked to do a lot for that place and the people in it.

The other day, I wanted to share it with a friend a few states away, so I snapped some pictures with my phone. I wish I had more than snapshots to share, but these might do for now. It's about all I had time for - summers are when we tackle all of the big yearly projects. Don't mind the old man on the alter - just the master at work. ;) We were shampooing the altar and the pews. We just finished stripping down the finish on the floor and laying down some sealer. Shiny as the old man's head, if not more, and that's saying something! Also of note are the pipes for the organ, currently hidden behind the projector screen, unfortunately.

This church is just awe-inspiring to me. It's not very big and in fact I'd almost call it homey... but I've never seen anything like it here. It's a real-deal, down-home place of worship. Somehow it still feels grand. You'd never know from the outside that there's such art in those walls... walking in, you see things you almost never see in buildings now. Every other church here is one of those lame megachurches that you can't tell apart. There simply are no more old-school churches left here now. It's a shame - I think that churches are supposed to be unique and inspiring places, even when nothing is happening inside. Like this one.

It was built in the late 60's, though some of the stained glass is older than that. Pretty much everything is wood and stone. Even with the modern updates it still oozes character. It was designed to look like an ark, with these impressive archways of stacked wooden boards that have been bent into unbelievably pleasing curves - and all of the wood paneling, with its finely-aged varnish. The lines/contours and the combination of lighting inside with lighting from the stained glass are really something to see.

Everything is just so perfectly set-off that you know the people behind it really loved what they did and took it to a level most people can't imagine. So much about it just works, visually. I can't explain the feeling you get being in that church... I'm not religious, but there's something there. I'm also not an atheist... the spirituality sealed in that building's form is not lost on me. It stirs something in you. You can't not feel it. Every time I'm there, I just feel... better. It's like being back in the womb. Quiet, peaceful, warm, and comforting. That's why when I know I have to work in there, I try to make it first thing in the morning. I swear it makes my day go better.

I dunno... to me, it just begs to be properly photographed and documented. The saddest part is that there are no good photos available. I would love to be able to give some quality photos to the church. It feels direly needed. Back in the early 2000's, one of the hurricanes moving through pushed water through the roof and left stains all over sections of that beautiful wood paneling all along the ceiling. I think of that and shudder at the thought that one day this church could just be gone, and it would only live on in the memories of those who had seen it. I'd be sadder about that than being out of a job that I loved. It's an important piece of this town's history. Prominent shapers of the communities and economies that thrive in this town were wed here... not to mention the countless families who were bound through a higher purpose here, and lives shaped here... so many things that have made this town a better place for everyone to live and grow in for decades.

A lot of good comes in and out of this building all of the time. It may sound like I'm speaking platitudes, but it really is that special. It's rare for things like this to survive in these times. It deserves to be put on that pedestal. I'm proud to say that I have a major hand in preserving it. Hopefully soon I can do more than care for it. My own life might've been very different if not for this place - I went to elementary school next-door. I have things as person that I am grateful for because of the influence of all of the experiences I had and the people who were in my life back then. It's pretty major stuff, even if the whole "god" thing didn't stick how they would've wanted it to. I am truly a better person for it - there will always be a piece of it in me. And I'm one of many, many people of all ages who feel the same.

I'm sorry if I'm rambling with not much to show for it. It's been on my mind for a while. Every day, in fact! I get excited about places like these. And then they get me excited about photography. That's what it's about, right? To be able to show people the things you see and experience in an immediately tangible way... or maybe to tell the many stories of the places and people we come across.

Last edited:
System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
You should tame highlights in lamps and green abberations and use CPL this time to accent the vitrage art and cut outside light.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Software Windows 10 Pro
You should tame highlights in lamps and green abberations and use CPL this time to accent the vitrage art and cut outside light.
I will keep that in mind when I do a real shoot there! These are just cell phone pictures taken while working. The CPL tip is something I never would've thought to do. I hardly ever use them, but I'll see how it goes - that's an interesting use-case.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Case NZXT H710
Software Windows 10 Pro
So... I've been thinking about upgrading from my Canon t3i in a couple of months... something with a little better image quality, better autofocus, higher res, more modern features. Wifi would be welcome, too. I love using my phone as an external controller/display. I could even use it to beam RAWs in and process them. It's a great camera, but not quiiiite there for me on low-light or AF. Not to mention bare functionality. The primes available for it are great, though. It's just a tiny bit too basic and I do find it often holding me back a little.

Lenses are a major deterrent to switching right now... I have two primes I love and one is an ef-s. And then there's my 10-18mm. I'd like to ultimately work my way up to some nice L glass, or something in a similar class. I'm well set on Canon lenses and I know adapter exist for plenty of other brands, but the AF performance always seems kinda dodgy. Also means I'm limited to crop sensor, which is just as well since I can't afford a full-frame body that's worth a damn anyway. By the time I'm buying L glass, I can afford the better body too.

I can't do with out the articulating screen anymore... it's such an awesome feature and I use it constantly. Be nice to have one with touch capabilities.

For a while, the 80D seemed like the ticket. It's basically like a much better t3i, you know? And at ~$600 used it's right in my budget. I can keep my lenses, and even start racking up more full-frame ef lenses for when I wish to jump to a canon full-frame. By then their current high-end ones will be cheaper, or I can throw all the way down for a flagship. But that's thinking unrealistically far ahead. I'm not married to that idea. But... still got the wonderful flippy screen, only it's bigger and touch response. Better sensor, better AF. Top display. Just drop in my lenses and go.

But there is something I really like about mirrorless. I love how much smaller they are and how far the performance has come. I thought of the Sony A6300, which seems like an all around awesome camera with actually good compatibility with my lenses. And then I could start racking up the more expensive Sony lenses. I like everything about what they're doing - the tech is impressive... except the usability is not good for me. And they're pricey for what they are, big picture. It'd be more than just a body swap, you know? Lotta money down the drain not too far off to really get going. Similar story with a couple of Fuji's I liked (XT line is pretty sweet...) and the Fujis have the advantage of a better control layout, which counts for a lot. Even t3i is generally good... the menus are just dated and clunky. Too bad... I definitely prefer the rangefinder-style viewfinder of the Sony. But just watching people work it is frustrating. And then it is again so costly in the big picture.

So I was looking at other mirrorless cameras when I saw the Canon EOS M50. From what I can tell, it's basically a mirrorless 80D... like in almost every way, really. A little smaller and lighter, which I like. I also like that it still looks like a real camera - a mini-DSLR, not a toy. The lens line is a bit lean, but there are some affordable ones that would suit me perfect for a nice, compact setup that still has the features I need and takes great pictures. In the meantime, I can tack on an official Canon adapter to use all of my lenses. I can see my 24mm f/2.8 STM pancake being a great, still-compact pairing. I love that lens man... a little wider than normal, but when you get up close, it still does great and the bokeh is nice. Wanna keep using it. Pretty much the same sensor as the 80D, so still a significant IQ boost from the t3i. I like the dial layout and it also has a nice flippy touch display. It also has a 120fps electronic viewfinder, which is awesome. You can even use the screen to move your focus point while looking through the EVF. I also just like being able to see the exposure in viewfinder, as I do still use that a lot too. t3i one is not useful in general. Small and dark...

Battery life is a downside I suppose, but I don't care about video and I like to have a handful of batteries on hand anyway. Rather have a smaller camera in that regard.

Best of all, the body is only like $600 new. Another $138 for the adapter. Puts it at ~800 for the whole deal. And then I don't have to really buy lenses for it until I need different focal lengths or just really want, say the 22mm prime that's actually made for it. As a mirrorless, it is nobody's first choice, but for me it my just be the ticket, mirrorless or not. I dunno. Still weighing my options. But I'm leaning strongly towards that. Worth it for the EVF and being able to easily reach for a more compact body/lens setup makes it worth the slight premium. And on top of that it is brand new, whereas I'd never buy an 80D new.

I'm actually debating on the EOS M5, now... not as good AF, though still better than t3i by heaps and even better than 80D in liveview. But then no more flippy screen... but more solid and more knobbies. I like the grippy part covering more. Better battery., bigger screen... and a little cheaper? Dammit. Body shopping is hard.

From what I've read, it still has Canon-itis to some extent... where you don't have as much to pull from highlights and shadows... which sucks, but I can live with it so long as the overall IQ is better. The way around that, ime, is actually to shoot at a higher iso and dial back the noise... doing it selectively is best (hit it hardest where it's worst/detail loss isn't as noticeable.) I swear, you can pull more shadows that way, and highlights lose a lot of that high blowout. ISO 400 is good, while 800 is best. Past that you lose the detail to noise instead. I don't know why you get more detail in the highlights and shadows when you crank the sensitivity a little bit, but it's definitely a thing with my t3i.

If I ever get sick of it, I'll just sell all of my shit and buy a Sony or maybe a Nikon FF. :p

Last edited:
System Name ---
Processor FX 8350 @ 4.00 Ghz with 1.28v
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FX-UD3 v4.0, Hacked Bios F4.x
Cooling Silenx 4 pipe Tower cooler + 2 x Cougar 120mm fan, 3 x 120mm, 1 x 200 mm Red LED fan
Memory Kingston HyperX DDR3 1866 16GB + Patriot Memory DDR3 1866 16GB
Video Card(s) Asus R9 290 OC @ GPU - 1050, MEM - 1300
Storage Inland 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD for OS, WDC Black - 2TB + 1TB Storage, Inland 480GB SSD - Games
Display(s) 3 x 1080P LCDs - Acer 25" + Acer 23" + HP 23"
Case AeroCool XPredator X3
Audio Device(s) Built-in Realtek
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Modular
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling PA120+T30┃AXP120x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Display(s) 43" QN90B / 32" M32Q / 27" S2721DGF
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5
Power Supply Corsair HX1000┃HDPlex
Got a question for y'all. My D610 is currently suffering from a moderate case of D600-itis. D610s aren't supposed to suffer from oil, but well......it's got oil spots all down the left side of every image. It's clearly not dust, they're too large of circles and too translucent to be dust. They don't shift around, but depending on the background of the image, not all of them will be visible unless you take a picture of the sky. It's not got anything to do with my lenses, my 35/2D and 50/1.8G pictures have the spots in the exact same places. Obviously, being oil, the internal clean function doesn't do jack shit.

Do I take it to a large camera store chain locally to get the sensor cleaned, or send it all the way to Toronto for Nikon to get it fixed for $40, plus shipping? It's been more than a year since I got the D610, and it also happens to be a (J) model so I can't expect Nikon Canada to do anything warranty-wise for a Japan market camera (I know, I know, never buy grey market, I know)

I'll throw in some randoms I took "lately":

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Case NZXT H710
Software Windows 10 Pro
Got a question for y'all. My D610 is currently suffering from a moderate case of D600-itis. D610s aren't supposed to suffer from oil, but well......it's got oil spots all down the left side of every image. It's clearly not dust, they're too large of circles and too translucent to be dust. They don't shift around, but depending on the background of the image, not all of them will be visible unless you take a picture of the sky. It's not got anything to do with my lenses, my 35/2D and 50/1.8G pictures have the spots in the exact same places. Obviously, being oil, the internal clean function doesn't do jack shit.

Do I take it to a large camera store chain locally to get the sensor cleaned, or send it all the way to Toronto for Nikon to get it fixed for $40, plus shipping? It's been more than a year since I got the D610, and it also happens to be a (J) model so I can't expect Nikon Canada to do anything warranty-wise for a Japan market camera (I know, I know, never buy grey market, I know)

I'll throw in some randoms I took "lately":
I take it you've never cleaned a sensor yourself before? All the built-in cleaning does is rattle the sensor around a little. If you listen, you can hear the little motor going. It usually knocks dust particles loose, but it's never gonna do anything for oil, unfortunately.

It's a little daunting, but you really can do it yourself. If you're careful, the worst thing that happens is you leave residue or something and have to send it in. The biggest precaution you need to be aware of other than no pressure, force, or spraying/blowing, or dusty air, is the shutter closing. You need to be absolutely sure that the shutters won't close while you're cleaning the sensor... they can be pretty much toast if they ever close down on something. Look for a shutter lock or manual cleaning option. Sometimes you get lucky and it still works, but I say take no chances.

You just need a little kit. For your full-frame something like this is good. https://www.amazon.com/VSGO-Camera-Full-Frame-Cleaning-Cleaner/dp/B00K8MTQGY I use the same brand for my crop sensors and they work great. You get a residue-free solution and a bunch of sealed, rake-shaped swabs. I think there are smaller kits out there, but extra swabs come in handy as they actually go fast. The solution also works great as a lens cleaner... just a drop or two on the middle. Also beware of the cheap kits. Inferior applicators and cleaners do more harm than good.

All you do is put one, single little drop of the solution on the tip of the swab (oversaturating leaves streaks,) start from one end of the sensor and make ONE slow and steady pass right across, horizontally. Just one complete movement from one side to another. Edge-to-edge. Very, very little pressure... it takes next to none. Honestly, its better to use none and have to make more passes than push too hard and smear things or even damage the sensor. If you're pushing down and dragging solid particles of dust or dirt along too forcefully, you can scratch it. The coatings are very delicate. After the first pass, flip the applicator over and do the same thing, starting from the opposite end of the sensor.

Once you've used both sides of the applicator once, it's done and you have to toss it. They really have to be perfectly clean. Even touching the pad with your fingers can transfer residue to the sensor. And setting it down on anything may cause it to pick up dust/dirt/gook.

In your case, it's probably going to take several applicators, while most situations will just need one. You might try starting with two and testing it out before doing more. Another thing I might recommend if you do this... after your final wet swab... like, when you know it's clean, open one more and do a dry pass with each side. Helps ensure there are no streaks from any leftover cleaner.

It's kind of a scary thing to do... I get a little nervous every time it needs doing, but it's very valuable to learn. Dirty sensors happen and will happen again and again. Getting comfortable with cleaning them yourself saves a lot of money and hassle. Having to send your camera out for something like this sucks and the actual process isn't that bad. It just always feels sketchy messing with sensors because most people have it ingrained that nothing can ever touch it. Once you actually do it, it's really not that bad. I'd highly recommend watching a video or two on youtube... plenty of good demonstrations that will bring you up to speed on it. Please do that first - I'm glossing over a little just trying to give you an idea of what you'd be in for going this route. Might be your best option if warranty is out of the question. Either way, it's again very good to learn. All cameras require it eventually and having to send them out every time sucks.

But I gotta wonder... if you do this, will the oil come back? It must be splashing/running from somewhere. Maybe the shutter mechanism? I don't know what you could do about that. Getting it off of that mechanism may not even be possible for professionals. I dunno. I've never heard of oil on any sensor! That's kind of crazy to me...

Not sure what the laws are like over in Canada, but over here in the USA, it's no longer a warranty issue when you get to the level of recurring defects requiring servicing- such as with a known design flaw... that's a lemon and it ought to be covered under lemon laws. Nikon wouyld be obligated to either fully repair or replace the unit at their cost. Due to your unique buying situation I'm not sure any of that factors in for you.

Nice images btw! Good luck with your bizarre sensor issue!

Last edited:

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob

The D610 isn't known for oiling, but the D600 had oily sensors like the 5.4 3V had terrible VCT phasers. Bit of an epidemic. That's why the D610 exists, frankly. Which is a problem since there are much less oily D610s, so less support for that specific problem.

The more I think about it, the more appealing sending it off to Nikon sounds. It's not an extortionate price, and I'm not in a crazy hurry to use the D610 right now. The hurdle of cleaning it myself feels a little bit like the very first time I built a custom board, but the stakes are much higher while the cost of having someone else do it is not quite as much.

Lemon Laws don't apply in Canada. As the former owner of a problematic '18 Canyon and a fat stinking lemon of an '18 F-150, ask me how I know. We have CAMVAP, but obviously that's for motor vehicles. If it just needs some cleaning, that's great; if it's indeed a repeat of the D600 shit-show, I'll probably just learn to clean it myself at a later date. Though some people are saying that it's just a one-time cleaning that the camera needs and it runs fine after that, so we'll see.

People were telling me to just pony up for the D750, but the price tag was a little difficult at the time. Now I see their rationale. The D610 is solid, but the D750 is a significantly better body in every single way and doesn't inherit the D600's shadow, as we see here.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Case NZXT H710
Software Windows 10 Pro
The D610 isn't known for oiling, but the D600 had oily sensors like the 5.4 3V had terrible VCT phasers. Bit of an epidemic. That's why the D610 exists, frankly. Which is a problem since there are much less oily D610s, so less support for that specific problem.

The more I think about it, the more appealing sending it off to Nikon sounds. It's not an extortionate price, and I'm not in a crazy hurry to use the D610 right now. The hurdle of cleaning it myself feels a little bit like the very first time I built a custom board, but the stakes are much higher while the cost of having someone else do it is not quite as much.

Lemon Laws don't apply in Canada. As the former owner of a problematic '18 Canyon and a fat stinking lemon of an '18 F-150, ask me how I know. We have CAMVAP, but obviously that's for motor vehicles. If it just needs some cleaning, that's great; if it's indeed a repeat of the D600 shit-show, I'll probably just learn to clean it myself at a later date. Though some people are saying that it's just a one-time cleaning that the camera needs and it runs fine after that, so we'll see.

People were telling me to just pony up for the D750, but the price tag was a little difficult at the time. Now I see their rationale. The D610 is solid, but the D750 is a significantly better body in every single way and doesn't inherit the D600's shadow, as we see here.
Cleaning your sensor isn't something you should do any time, for sure. FWIW I understand that attitude completely hehe. It's delicate work. Personally it's been something I had to learn from always changing lenses in less than ideal environments. For me to send my camera out every time it's gotten dust or especially pollen on the sensor would add up to a lot of downtime.

Shame to have a solid camera held back by such an unheard of fault though... sure it's an older camera, but that's still a Nikon FF and those don't exactly come cheap. Sounds to me like you kinda want a new one anyway :p

System Name Matter's / Helios 300 Predator
Processor Ryzen 7 2700 / i7 7700HQ
Motherboard B450 Tomahawk / Acer Helios 300 Predator
Cooling Arctic Freezer eSports Duo
Memory Patriot Viper ddr4 32gb / 32gb gskill ddr4
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 Super Ventus OC / GTX 1060 6gb
Storage Patriot Viper nvme M2, crucial MX300 275gb, Samsung 860 qvo 1tb
Display(s) Acer 24" 1080p / 15.6 1080p HD
Case Antec 300 / Acer Helios 300 Predator
Audio Device(s) On Board - Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless Cans
Power Supply Antec 850watt high current pro
Mouse Steel series Rival 600
Keyboard Corsair K70 / Acer Helios 300 Predator
Software Win 10 Pro / Win 10 Home
System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
Basically for old glass users, there is no viable cheap route anyways, as all of them have introduced new mounts and new proper glass designed for the short flange distance, not incorporating the same with a built in adapter. Only now Sigma and Tamron has released a proper glass designed for mirror less. It took them a while, it will cool down the prices for glass, as competition arrives.

I would go either Nikon Z or Sony, try to fetch a used a7R III. As the fourth arrived. Rumors are Canon are prepping some Rebel like thing for R mount too. It's a solid purchase you will use 3-4 years, not blow on some useless gimmicks.

@robot zombie There is no practical use for having a6300 now, it is few bucks cheaper than the superior a6400. It is a fantastic travel camera, I own the a6500 for like almost 2 years. I chuckle at all my DSLR friends, doesn't your neck hurt with that weight? Yet I manage to deliver exactly the same results, just a matter of technique and getting used to.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Case NZXT H710
Software Windows 10 Pro
@robot zombie There is no practical use for having a6300 now, it is few bucks cheaper than the superior a6400. It is a fantastic travel camera, I own the a6500 for like almost 2 years. I chuckle at all my DSLR friends, doesn't your neck hurt with that weight? Yet I manage to deliver exactly the same results, just a matter of technique and getting used to.
I actually ended up grabbing an M5. It basically came down to mirrorless vs DSLR... the 80D was tempting until I saw what is pretty much a mirrorless 80D with even better usability thanks to the controls and EVF. Just a simple matter of it being the right thing right now, for very little money. I spent just over $500 on the body and adapter, you know? That's nothing for what is actually a very good entry-level all-rounder. I can see they didn't go over well when they were launched at what... over $1000? Hehe. Fine by me... the value now is very good for people like me. Sometimes I think that price point was the only reason they didn't take off. They wanted the mirrorless enthusiast sector (whereas before they were more selling smartphone upgrades,) but they didn't fully realize where it was already at in 2016... or they did, but started too late.

Coming from a t3i it is a huge, huge jump. Just the dual-pixel AF is huge in itself... touch and drag on the screen while looking through the VF... motion/face tracking that really works. That was big. It is magnificent.

But honestly, the main reason I bought it was the dial layout and control customization. I shoot in aperture priority, so having the exposure compensation dial right there is a big deal. You almost never see it... one of those things I'd have thought would be more widely implemented with most people using some sort of 'assisted' mode these days. Right next to it is an ISO dial. Then you press the button inside of it and get WB on the dial, as well as being able to add things that you can cycle through and also change via that one dial, such as metering and AF modes. Between that and having almost every button be user-assignable, I have the ability to set up the perfect camera... when shooting with the M5 I never need to go into menus... everything has a physical control - and I mean everything. They do let you operate the full menus via touch, too though... something many still don't do. Making everything assignable was brilliant. It means the camera doesn't have to have a confusing/uncomfortable amount of buttons/knobs in order to mold completely to every facet of your shooting style. You configure it precisely to how you want it to operate with no compromises. And you can really refine it. And then on top of that, the positioning of the buttons and dials feels great to use.

Honestly, it's more comfortable to operate than most DSLRs for that reason. I can do more because of it. Even being as small as it is, the grip is comfortable and everything is well-placed. The utility and functionality is pretty up there. Once you set it up how you want it, using it is a joy. It makes it easy to just grab and take pictures any time, anywhere. And as you said, the results aren't below similar DSLR's with a mirrorless ;)

Usability and ergonomics are big for me. I'm OCD about refining my process as much as possible and the Canon actually has the best tools for it in that bracket.. more than a lot of the direct competition. That's something Canon has always had me for. And then on top of that I'm still getting a sensor with IQ and AF performance on par with an 80D, which is exactly what I wanted. For less than the DSLR, even! Mostly I just lose out on video and the rotating screen of the 80D. The screen made me sad, but I can live with it. Video isn't even on my radar... I actually got frustrated at all of the reviews going on and on about video on what is clearly not a vlogger camera but simply an all-rounder mainly for everyday stills. The video is a tack-on, and for a lot of people that is fine. There's that and the fact that the screen flips down... which I get it, it's annoying... but seriously? Between that and people bitching about how it's made out of plastic I was pulling my hair out. Is polycarbonate even bad? I'd think the stuff used in cameras would be at least as strong as magnesium and probably wayyy better for shock absorption. It's still high-tech plastic... good stuff.

Eh, whatever... that is a thing I noticed pursuing reviews for mirrorless cameras. Most of the big ones have decent delivery, but you also get a lot of people mouthing-off about things they clearly haven't looked into, griping about things that would've been fixed if they bothered to familiarize themselves and actually set-up the camera fully, or just straight-up spouting gatekeeping nonsense. Like, there was a guy complaining about the smaller strap loops... saying how you wouldn't be able to find straps, clearly not knowing that the majority of crop and 4/3 mirrorless cameras have been using them for a long time, meaning there are many options lol. But he made a big thing out of it. Same with all of the dudes complaining about accidentally pressing the record button while shooting stills, when you can very easily disable or reassign it (a major perk imo.) And then there was the guy who claimed 'terrible' image quality and used what were actually just bad photographs to back up still unsubstantiated arguments for why nobody could ever conceivably take good pictures with it... eg "I don't know what it is... but it is BAD." All I could think was "maybe it's you...?" And then it's like everyone who reviews on youtube thinks everyone wants to vlog and needs 4k for cropping or fast frame rates for slow-mo or something. I don't get this shit, man. It's like these people don't get how to review things as what they're meant to be. It's like writing a review for a crop sensor and putting down 5 paragraphs to how not being FF is a con. Like, what? How is this happening?

I think I get it. The smaller reviewers want to add a perception of integrity and in order to do that, you need to list negatives. When it succeeds for what it is, you knock it for what you want it to be, but just isn't and doesn't pretend to be. I swear, it's like they operate on a quota system lol.

EVF is friggen sweet. I have the record button assigned to DOF preview for easy, realistic exposure and focus simulation right in the VF. Got focus peaking in there, too. With the performance of the AF and all of these assists, no more reasons to miss focus. That's one thing I hated about that old DSLR. It's a digital camera, sure, but it's still almost as hard to gauge what you're capturing as it was with film. SO much focus-recompose, too. The only difference from film is you can view the image immediately after. I feel like I can save a lot of time and nail more shots being able to really check focus/DOF/exposure before I press the shutter... like actually see it well. Really it all comes down to visibility through the EVF vs optical. Dude, it's like a dream with those systems backing you. It frees me up to focus more on things like light and composition.

Which... isn't that what its all about? I mean, people still shoot in JPEG for this reason. What if you could have that simpler, streamlined experience of nailing the shot in-camera with fewer downsides? To me that's coming up in the form EVFs and all of the assistance they offer, in conjunction with control systems that greatly enhance and accelerate the process of dialing in. Easy as JPEG/auto/semi-auto shooting, with the granularity of full-manual shooting, coupled with the added foresight enabled by the same capabilities.

Just wish the lens lineup was better. Hopefully as they get further into the aps-c mirrorless market we'll see that M line expand into something more diverse. I see a couple I will buy just to have a couple of compact native lenses. They have a couple that I could probably take with me in a small day bag and shoot all day while carrying next to nothing. I'm looking over at my hulking 'medium' shoulder bag with it's 5 compartments thinking something has to change.

For now, the adapter works great with ef-s lenses. Some of them start getting big, but the balance is still good because they're mostly light plastic.

My rationale is that this is great as a main camera right now, even if there winds up being nowhere to go from here in the big picture. As in it is something I will always want to use, will be easy to grab, and still more than get the job done taking good pictures or handling more challenging shots. Superior to my DSLR in every way, aside from no phase-detect... but then the t3i only has 5 points for that anyway lol. When I upgrade it will continue to be great as my grab-and-go. a7r has my attention... I'd love to own one of those eventually. Sony is just killing it in the mirrorless game and the FF options are great, if not pricey. I'll be really curious to see what Canon does, though. I think they have the capability to become a major player in the mirrorless world... but what I also see is them throwing darts, trying to figure out what their market actually is. Slowly, they're getting that people want serious mirrorless cameras. I think once they fully embrace that we'll see some good stuff from them... and maybe they'll actually fill out the M and R lens lines. Between Canon and Nikon making real entries among the likes of Sony, Fuji, and Panasonic, my bets on Canon being the one to actually pull it off. Looking at everything the have in their tech as a whole, they're pretty much already there... just need to string it all together.

I also gotta say, totally understand the mirrorless thing now. Just looking at the M5 next to my t3i, I can't believe I dealt with it. It's not even big or heavy for a DSLR... just clunky and awkward to me now. Can't imagine what these magnesium body FF folks go through. If you're a pro, I get it... but otherwise they are no longer the best option for your average enthusiast trying to get good results. No reason to do that to yourself. Not when you can have a truly serious camera that's less than half of the size yet still packing all of your major modern features.

Even the strap is smaller and less cumbersome. Don't think I'm looking back. Got a little bag that holds the camera w/lens, two other lenses, some batteries and necessities, and nothing more. 90% of situations are covered for me. Even better, this setup is inconspicuous. So many places, you wander around with a DSLR and a ballistic nylon bag, it draws eyes. The little mirrorless in the unassuming belt pouch or small messenger bag blends in better no matter where you go. I'm also thinking about my hikes. Way easier to carry around a small bag slung over shoulder or more likely on side of belt and a tripod strap than a big shoulder bag. The former allows me to carry a backpack with hiking necessities and still stay very light. Big deal in south FL summers. It's the difference between staying out from sunrise to sunset and going late afternoon to sunset or morning to early afternoon... for me, anyway.

Canon made a statement with the looks on the M5 and M50 that speaks to something important. It looks like a mini-DSLR crossed with a point-and-shoot crossed with a rangefinder 35mm. Not only does it look awesome, but that's literally what I think a lot of mirrorless users want. They want a smaller camera that is fun/versatile/easy to use, customizable, and capable of doing the same work as a DSLR while also having the technical benefits of a mirrorless such as EVF and sophisticated sensor-driven AF.

Last edited:

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
He can send it to me when he gets a new one. :) Even with a oil spot or 2 I can use it :)

I'll keep you posted when I jump ship to the D750 :D

In all seriousness, I've got about 10-15 spots of varying size, colour and transparency on the left side of the image / right side of the sensor. It makes my head hurt with the amount of spot removal I have to do on every photo, let alone more complex backgrounds where spot removal doesn't quite work. Given that the repair form on Nikon's site is broken to all hell and sends you back to square one whenever you get to the payment step, and I don't think I can trust the extremely poorly reviewed "repair" stores in town, I think I'll just watch some tutorials and get a cleaning kit.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
and I don't think I can trust the extremely poorly reviewed "repair" stores in town, I think I'll just watch some tutorials and get a cleaning kit.
Most Area's have a local Camera Club Someone there may be able to assist/help you (they also probably helped that repair shop get its poor Review :).:roll:.)
worth a few hours looking in to

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Case NZXT H710
Software Windows 10 Pro
I'll keep you posted when I jump ship to the D750 :D

In all seriousness, I've got about 10-15 spots of varying size, colour and transparency on the left side of the image / right side of the sensor. It makes my head hurt with the amount of spot removal I have to do on every photo, let alone more complex backgrounds where spot removal doesn't quite work. Given that the repair form on Nikon's site is broken to all hell and sends you back to square one whenever you get to the payment step, and I don't think I can trust the extremely poorly reviewed "repair" stores in town, I think I'll just watch some tutorials and get a cleaning kit.
You can do it! It really isn't anything. Sometimes I suspect that for the price manufacturers charge to have it done, they're doing the same damned thing, only in a better environment lol.

Some quick and dirty pics of the new setup. Probably the last time I'll use my t3i in a while...

Not too bad with the adapter and the pancake. Still pretty compact. The EF/S lenses are just wider than the M-series. Performs flawlessly though. But then you get into zooms and...

Comes down to how phallic you like things, I suppose. Even with the smaller tele's I'm sure it looks ridiculous. Not as awkward to hold as you'd think, though! Most of the weight is in the adapter. I almost wish the mounts on that were plastic. With those two heavy metal rings it probably comprises half of the weight of the whole setup. I'll live with it for the ef-s tele I wanna grab and the nifty-fifty I already have, but I think the 11-22mm and 32mm prime ef-m's are calling my name for everything else. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the look of this camera - it's got that perfect balance of sleekness and utility. It's like... Fuji is all sleekness, while Sony is almost pure utilitarian. Canon is somewhere in the middle with the M5 and M50. The word I'd use is 'handsome'. Very mature and not toy-like, even though it shoots like one! It just needs more compact lenses to go along.

Though honestly, functionally I think it doesn't matter so much so long as the weight is biased towards the camera. One thing I learned the first day is that you completely don't hold it like a DSLR. There is no reason to. With a DSLR, you'd have your right hand on the grip where all of your controls are, with left at the base of the lens for stability, zoom operation, DOF button, so on. But on this camera, you've got a grippy surface on the left side. Hmmm... and then you move the AF point on the screen with your left thumb. Looks like a DSLR but you hold it like a point and shoot. Ends up actually being more comfortable to grab onto with small lenses and also gives you instant access to that lovely touch AF. The actual grip, though small is steep and easy to dig your fingers all of the way into. I was worried that with my big hands I might have trouble holding onto the camera and using it, but when you hold it right it is still very comfortable. I can still hold it in one hand and swing it around without fear of dropping it.

I think the spacing of all of the buttons/dials helps, too. The tactful staggering and angling keep the fingers operating them reaching away from eachother to work things, so there's always room even though things are bunched together. Things like the AF-lock button being off on a jutted plateau and the shutter button/primary adjustment knob being down on an angle... it gives you that extra needed distance to rest your digits without taking up additional lateral space. They even gave all of the knobs different springback and actuation so you can tell what they are. Little things like that sway me. I'm sensitive to that stuff. Canon, more than some others thought about how to make a camera smaller without gimping base ergonomics and functionality. Nothing to really get used to coming from a DSLR... it's just intuitive. I'm already working it without ever pulling the viewfinder away. The only other one I know of that comes close in usability on their smaller mirrorless systems is Fuji.

Last edited:
System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
Climbed Broken Top in Oregon 15 mile day hike 7/20/19

In the distance, Three Sisters, Mt Washington, Three Finger Jack, Mt Jefferson and finally Mt. Hood and the end of the frame

Last edited:
System Name ---
Cooling Silenx 4 pipe Tower cooler + 2 x Cougar 120mm fan, 3 x 120mm, 1 x 200 mm Red LED fan
Storage Inland 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD for OS, WDC Black - 2TB + 1TB Storage, Inland 480GB SSD - Games
Climbed Broken Top in Oregon 15 mile day hike

Beautiful. Still snow up the mountains? Last year we visited Oregon and thoroughly enjoyed. I will add this to our list if we decide to visit again.

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
Beautiful. Still snow up the mountains? Last year we visited Oregon and thoroughly enjoyed.

At 8,000 ft there is still snow. This was last Saturday. The most beautiful hike I have ever done Todd Lake to No Name lake Broken Top Crater

System Name All Ryze
Processor Ryzen 7 1700
Motherboard MSI X370 Pro Carbon
Cooling Air
Memory G-skill Flare x 16GB 2400MHz
Video Card(s) MSI 1080
Storage Intel 600p NVMe 512GB for OS , 1TB WD Black and a 4TB Toshiba
Display(s) BENQ PD3200U
Case Phanteks
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 750W
Mouse Logitech G403 wired
Keyboard G19
Software Win 10 Pro
Long time no post , here are a few of my recent shots

System Name Matter's / Helios 300 Predator
Processor Ryzen 7 2700 / i7 7700HQ
Motherboard B450 Tomahawk / Acer Helios 300 Predator
Cooling Arctic Freezer eSports Duo
Memory Patriot Viper ddr4 32gb / 32gb gskill ddr4
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 Super Ventus OC / GTX 1060 6gb
Storage Patriot Viper nvme M2, crucial MX300 275gb, Samsung 860 qvo 1tb
Display(s) Acer 24" 1080p / 15.6 1080p HD
Case Antec 300 / Acer Helios 300 Predator
Audio Device(s) On Board - Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless Cans
Power Supply Antec 850watt high current pro
Mouse Steel series Rival 600
Keyboard Corsair K70 / Acer Helios 300 Predator
Software Win 10 Pro / Win 10 Home
@grunt_408 nice shots of the spiders :) all well done thanks for sharing
live action with fido is cool. how many times did it take?

System Name ---
Long time no post , here are a few of my recent shots

did you kill the spiders or stun the spiders with powerful flash ha ha.

Fantastic pictures.

System Name All Ryze
Processor Ryzen 7 1700
Cooling Air
Video Card(s) MSI 1080
Display(s) BENQ PD3200U
Case Phanteks
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Keyboard G19
Software Win 10 Pro
@grunt_408 nice shots of the spiders :) all well done thanks for sharing
live action with fido is cool. how many times did it take?
It took many tries to get that one shot. It was half an hour of trying and one tired doggo at the end of it. :)

did you kill the spiders or stun the spiders with powerful flash ha ha.

Fantastic pictures.
Spiders where not harmed except for maybe blinding them with flash for a while. The shot on white background is an 80 odd image focus stack.

System Name ---
It took many tries to get that one shot. It was half an hour of trying and one tired doggo at the end of it. :)

Spiders where not harmed except for maybe blinding them with flash for a while. The shot on white background is an 80 odd image focus stack.

What is the software you use to stack images?

any tutorial or dummies guide?

System Name All Ryze
Processor Ryzen 7 1700
Cooling Air
Video Card(s) MSI 1080
Display(s) BENQ PD3200U
Case Phanteks
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Keyboard G19
Software Win 10 Pro
What is the software you use to stack images?

any tutorial or dummies guide?

I am using Photoshop to stack. It does a really good job at aligning handheld stacks , when I use my automated rail I switch to using Zerene stacker. Handheld stacking is an art , you see through the viewfinder where your focus point is and ever so slightly rock back and forward through the range of the subject whilst grabbing slices for a stack.