1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The TPU UK Clubhouse

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by mullered07, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Not all the time. If you have a smoker at home, its going to royally fuck the fan up to the point chisel is needed. And it doesn't need to be a smoker, if PC is close to kitchen the oil is going to fuck it up too, and so on.

2. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    thats the asian in you speaking right there bro *highfive*

Bo$$ says thanks.
  3. Millennium

Millennium

Thanks Received:
    Good news, looks like I will be getting a ~£600 windfall soon :) Then again I think I deserve it for finding a job in this bl**dy economy !

Anyway, thinking of trying out some BullDozer goodness depending on the reviews, or maybe invest in a new monitor and gpu if not. I have memory and graphics for a bulldozer rig already, not the best but they would do for some benchmarking... I actually don't have a spare PSU any more though :/

Freedom how is the new case working out that might be worth changing too (my case only has 90mm fans lol)

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    Dont know yet. havent even got everything inside the case yet.

all ive done so far is replaced the fans, put the mobo in, take out the top HDD compartment and attach the HDD's to the caddies.

next to go in is the PSU and mounting the CPU cooler then a dry to see if it boots - fingers crossed that it boots first time and isnt earthed with the case.

that asside - BIG CASE IS BIG!!!! I havent had a case as big as this since 2003 or something

5. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Well i stopped smoking a couple of months ago, so i don't have to scrape of crappy smoke residue no more at least.

On my xfx 6850 i may be able to take off the plastic cover without removing the warranty sealed screws.

My old lian li Lian li PC-201B in my sig, was pretty big.

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. MilkyWay

Thanks Received:
    Glad you like it so far, i feel vindicated lol.
    @Millennium - Im also considering going Bulldozer, depends really on performance but if its near a intel i5 2500k price and performance i might well do.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  7. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    or, a laptop capable of runnning BC2 on high

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_5560G_1091471.html

since it's going to be console ports for the near future

8. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    almost done. everythings in and all i have to do is tidy up some cabling around the back. put the panels in and away we go

9. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    Pics!!!

EDIT:Talking about pics paint.net doesn't seem to be very efficient, it's using a lot of CPU just to let me edit an image i scanned into the computer

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  10. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    10 Year Member at TPU
  11. MilkyWay

Thanks Received:
  12. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    builds complete!!!! going for a shower then i will upload pics

13. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    where MAh pics?!

14. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    they are coming, I didnt even bother to shower and just spent time taking pictures - buffing the case to a nice shine with car wax and editing pictures.

give me 5mins

15. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    Well I took a lot of pics and not all of them were worth uploading, as for step by step pictures, i was too lazy but i got some decent ones.

Dirty old Antec 902:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Antec sidepanel ghetto airflow mod with a dust filter bought from ebay and black micro mesh - a.k.a Mosquito netting

[​IMG]

Define XL

vacant spot for stuff, Possibly a PC -

[​IMG]

just managed to squeeze in -

[​IMG]

the empty shell -

[​IMG]

Replacing shitty white fans -

[​IMG]

120mm Aksa Apache up top -

[​IMG]

All aboard the Define XL Xpress -

[​IMG]

Pancakes -- I mean hard drives!!! NEEDZ MOAR SYRUP!!

[​IMG]

Messy cables -

[​IMG]

Almost there -

[​IMG]

Case after a little elbow grease -

[​IMG]

So far the case seems pretty good. Already my idle temps have dropped significantly, especially my top 6970, It used to idle around 50-60'c+ but now its around 40-50'c.

I cant hear my 6970s ramp up when it comes to running 3D11 Xtreme bench. I cant even hear it when it runs vantage and before it was LOUD.

at the moment, Ive got the Silverstone fan running at its lowest speed. the case isnt 100% silent, and to be honest, i was expecting it to be almost whisper quiet.

Swtiching the 180mm Silvertone to the fastest speed makes the case quite a little louder.

at the moment, its as quiet as my old Ante 902, if it stays this quiet during my gaming session, then i will be a very happy bunny.

my 2 6970s are borderline unbearable when it comes to gaming but i cant do a fucking thing about it because it voids my warranty to put a waterblock or aftermarket cooler on it! (3 cheers for XFX - hip hip hofuckingray)

Ive got a fan controller installed to control the speed of the 140mm on the side panel. theres nothing wrong with the fan itself but when attached to the side panel and running at full whack the fan starts to let of this high pitched whine which im guessing is what happends when a fan resonates with a case.

MilkyWay says thanks.
  16. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    Looks quite good Freedom! I approve of your wallpaper too, cant wait for episode 4!

17. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    its not my wallpaper - its my log on screen

18. MilkyWay

Thanks Received:
    I really like that case, its spurring me on to get a better case.

19. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    your K-62 is still a good case.

IMO I would have stuck with my Antec 902 if the side panel fan was still attachable. but the case was just too small and cramped with everything inside and it was really effecting airflow.

After more then an hour of BC2 last night. the fan rarely ramped up at all. I quit in the middle of an heated game and it seems temps only ever went as high as 60-70'c which is just amazing seeing as temps used to hit more then 80'c in the 902.

If you really need to get a case though, id try hang on until christmas time and see if there are any good deals to be had.

imo, you dont really need a new case as you dont run uber hot components :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2016
  20. Millennium

Millennium

Thanks Received:
    I am considering the Define R3, mainly because I don't need all that space and it got a very good review on bit-tech.

Also it's a little cheaper which is nice. Anyone have any thoughts on this or similar mid-tower cases that might be worth a look? I don't mind spending more for better cooling performance. My main requirement would be ability to fit a H60 type water cooler to it when I upgrade to Ivy Bridge next year (or BD even sooner!).

Cheers

10 Year Member at TPU
  21. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    If my friend didnt pay me the money he owed i would have gone for the R3 - I was really getting desperate for a new case.

22. MilkyWay

Thanks Received:
    I think i will hang on and see if i can pick up a special or offer on a nice case. Your right this case is decent and i could use it for another year or so but i dont like the air flow intake for example there is only one intake fan and 3 exhaust and even then the intake fan is pushing straight onto the hard drive cage.

I like how its super easy to hide cables and the tooless design is amazing. Its possible to only have to screw in the motherboard everything else like the pci retention mechanisms work perfect.

I was looking at the Lancool PC K9 with the side panel window but it has no top fan, although it does have 2 front panel intake fans and you can detach the 2nd hard drive cage. I also considered the Fractle Design R3 but i dont know about that as i have a thing for side panel windows. Considered the Corsair 600T in white but the price is ridiculous for a mid tower.

23. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    yeah, Im missing the side panel in my 902, I had blue neons in there.

I could mod myself a side panel after i pay £30 for a dremel but i lose all that soundproofing this XL comes with and that stuff is expensive.

24. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    Why bother with side panel and fancy lightings when the Fractal Design case is a "clean look" case?

25. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    Because deep inside im a child at heart and things look cooler covered in Neons.

Id have neons underneath my tea cup if i was that good at modding