1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The TPU UK Clubhouse

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by mullered07, Aug 13, 2008.

1. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    My question is could I improve on the performance for the same money without sacrificing HDD space/SSD/RAM capacity etc

2. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    Overall performance or something specific? If it's just games then I wouldn't even waste time considering it. Maybe think of something else to do like case modding to improve airflow and/or aesthetics.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    One of my mates bought a 2700k which he has a triple and dual rad cooling it, and is running it stock. He only got it to fap over and to make him feel superior. Imo its pointless to buy a chip like that and run it stock but he is a moron anyway as he keeps calling it a 8 core as he is too dumb to understand what HT is or does.

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    you know....watercooling does spring a leak occasionally.....

(you didnt hear it from me)

5. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    No worries, sad thing is I was looking at the thread at the time and actually thought at the time that you would find yourself cornered with nowhere to run if you get my meaning.... all is good!

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    I need to upgrade my CPU. I don't wanna do the whole motherboard thing just yet. Don't have the money.

Any one know of a good deal floating around?

7. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The infraction system is semi automated, in so much as they would normally come with a 3 month sentence so to speak, Mods can custom infract and make that time period less. For example, I always check infraction history before I infract someone, otherwise you can be in a situation like NdMk was in, for something like his situation I would try to ensure that my infraction was not going to impact to0 highly in relation to the offence and any previous live infractions, so I could lessen the timespan etc

Basically once you hit 15 live points then a member cannot post in threads but can still PM etc, 25 is a ban, 5 or 10 points means little unless it accumilates to more during the live period..... a bit like a suspended sentence! Last week I 15 pointed someone just for a week to give him a posting holiday, hoping he would come back a little more even tempered, that is rare for me, in the 2 years I have been doing this I have probably only infracted half a dozen people with actual points, I usually find that some simple communication can often solve issues.

Fourstaff and Bo$$ say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  8. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    you don't need to, that board willl run any CPU from the older i7 series

Thats why we love you tatty :)

9. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Just grab a used 1156 off the used market, although I suspect the performance increase will be quite minimal for games.

10. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
  11. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    Good luck man, am holding out for 3+ months or so in the hope the 680 will come down closer to £300....

FreedomEclipse says thanks.
  12. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    Rather have the extra vram. Gonna need it if I'm running a catleap!! Well, I suppose nvidia could release a 4gb 680 too

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  13. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    The 680 2GB seems to do fine on TPU reviews at 2560x1440, I don't see 4GB helping that much unless your running eyefinity. I has Catleap :pimp:

14. Jaffakeik

Thanks Received:
    Wantet to hear your opinion on delivery companies>
    what is better DPD or TNT, I asking because I preodered Diablo3 collectors edition and becuase of its price shopto.net dont do delivery with royal mail.

15. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    Go for whichever one had a building closest to your house. (in case it comes at a time you're not at home and you have to collect it)

In other news that Asus laptop I bought broke completely (couldn't even get the power light on :(), so i sent it back to ebuyer and they sent me a HP laptop in return, and I have to say this laptop is one of the nicest looking laptops I've ever seen! :)

EDIT:If it matters I had 20KG of Audio system delivered via DPD (If I remember correctly) and it arrived in perfect condition on the scheduled date.

Jaffakeik says thanks.
  16. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    DPD are quite good IMO, Scan use them exclusively and they have never missed a delivery, but at the same time ive heard a fair amount of complaints

17. Jaffakeik

Thanks Received:
    I trust only royal mail,because they sometimes leave packages behind my garbage bins or at neightbours.

18. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    Royal mail are being annoyingly fast at the moment, bought something late on Tuesday to be scheduled for delivery on Thursday, and they arrived Wednesday morning when I wasn't there.

19. Jaffakeik

Thanks Received:
    I mostly buy games with royal mail so they just trow into door mailbox.had only once issue when they lost my parcel.

20. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    That ranks as poor service to me. If you have a delivery date - you kinda expect to be in on it.

As for DPD, I've had zero probs. I love the notification you get about which hour it's coming in.

21. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    DPD are VERY good, UPS are good too, have messed up a couple times but mistakes do happen....

22. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    upgraded tp 3202 bios last night for my mobo - and that has just killed my OC. I need 1.40v to hold 4.9Ghz and it wasnt even stable. ontop of that it wont let me select 1.376v vcore in the bios so ive got no choice but to go 1.375 or 1.40v as it wont take anything in between.

at 1.40v it was stable in prime for longer then 8hrs before it BSOD'd and im not willing to increase my voltage anymore so ive stepped down to 4.8ghz until they release a new bios that isnt bugged.

According to the internets, im not the only one who has had issues with the 3202 bios. loads of people with unlocked 6950s cant use their cards anymore because the bios wont recognize them at all as 6970s.

:EDIT:

and the stupid thing is, i cant even downgrade to an older bios because of UFEI

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  23. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    That sucks, no way around it??

Could be worse, my ex just asked for a divorce by text :confused: FML :mad: :roll:

24. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    Shit!

>.<

Sorry t'hear that.

NdMk2o1o says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  25. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    there is a way around it, it was posted up on [H] forums but theres a risk that it could potentially brick the mobo. theres a few people saying it worked for them then theres a few people that are saying it didnt work and now their board wont even post so im scared to try.

searched ebay bios chips for my board just incase i decide to give it a go but they are £11 a pop lol.

Well ive currently tested stable at 4.8Ghz for 10hrs in prime95 now so i will probably stick with it until Asus release a fixed bios. issues with the 3202 bios are well documented online even for the newer Gen3 series boards, but its been 2 months or more since they released 3202 so hopefully they will do one soon.

either way it doesnt matter 4.8Ghz is still good for whatever i need.

and as for the divorce. Im sorry to hear it bud, but women are trouble :laugh: its nice to have a chick to cuddle upto and keep the bed warm at night and make it seem like less of an empty space but thats as far as it goes minus all the kitchen jokes.