1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The TPU UK Clubhouse

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by mullered07, Aug 13, 2008.

1. d1nky

Thanks Received:
    i dont think i could drive a 1.2. ive had the pleasure of driving bmw's, gti's, 2L gsi's at a youngish age. and im not the lightest, so it would be screaming everywhere lol

if it does get too expensive with fuel etc ill sell her and get something more economical...

or i'll start selling my arse and dogging in the car to pay to run her!

2. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Well the new new 1.2's are probably far faster than the old 1.6's and below. Those fiesta fusion 1.2's are mighty fine driving machines. Then again they're a lot up front. All that being said, when money is an issue, the engine size stops being a problem. I swallowed my pride and stuck with a 1.2 for all this time. Luckily I get a shiny new car in February and saved up long enough to make it a decent one. I've had enough issues with cheap cars to know my stinginess cannot extend to motors.

Engine size isn't everything. Bare in mind those F1 cars are only 1.6's...

EDIT: What's your yearly tax cost like? My 1.2 is about £140, I dread to think what you might be paying xD

3. d1nky

Thanks Received:
    i couldnt afford too much upfront, was saving but ended up blowing whatever i saved. I saw this underneath my flat for sale and jumped on it. I can do most things myself if anything goes wrong, ebay is full of salvaged parts. also i only need it to run until april when i get my tax return.

i understand new cars are quite efficient and fast compared to old, but i didnt manage to save anything for one.

plus i prefer older as i know my way around em and new cars are all electric and plastics.

4. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    True, I despise the fact my dad has to go to an engineer with a computer to get an LED to turn off for his car to start. I can remove my engine with about 8 bolts and a portable lifting kit :laugh:

@LaytonJnr you've been quiet lately!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  5. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    Scan managed to get my 970 out the door :toast: tomorrow will be a good day

6. d1nky

Thanks Received:
    my new 3770k is on its way as well.

do want a 980.......

7. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    @the54thvoid I'm looking for a test bench. I'm looking at primochill, dimastech and Lian Li, but can't figure out which one to get. Looking at the Dimastech Mini or Nano as I'm on mATX and intend to stay that way, but I like the aesthetics of the wet bench. Other issue is I'm using a plain singel fan AIO, and don't see anywhere to mount it.

8. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    My youngest daughter has recently bought her first car, not driven or been insured previously, she got a new DS3 1.6 Turbo diesel....... 800 quid fully comp :)

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    How old??? That's ridiculous. Did she put named drivers on it or something?
    If she's above the age 25 bracket that makes sense.

10. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    No she is 22, passed her test 4 years ago but as she went to Uni shortly after so she never owned a car, drove or had insurance, she has her Mum and sister as named drivers though.

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    From what I saw I could halve my insurance if I put my parents on it. Unfortunately, that legally means the person has to be a driver of the car, which my parents never do, so I feel obliged to not circumvent their rules and regs.

I suppose it also helps that she's had a license for 4 years. New drivers always get higher premiums, I reckon if I had my license for an extra 3 years before insuring I'd get cheaper premiums too.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  12. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    Youre doin it wrong tatty - you should have gotten her one of these....

[​IMG]

guaranteed to boost her no claims bonus.

Only the best for Tatty's Daddys little girl!!

Tatty_One and RCoon say thanks.
  13. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    She bought the car herself........ 15,000 quid as she started her first job last month, and she was still classified as a "new" driver, you only lose that status when you have a years no claims. Named drivers do not have to drive the car, the insured is simply saying tha they may have occasional use, in any case it can't be measured, daughter is the insured named and main driver, not Mum or Sister.

RCoon says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  14. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    Fair enough, then by the sounds of things her insurance premiums are low because she's a woman, which they're not supposed to do any more. I can think of no other reason her insurance is cheaper than mine on a much more powerful car.

Tatty_One says thanks.
  15. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    She bought it new???

16. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    Yes brand spanking new, she has a 42 mile each way commute so she wanted/needed something reliable, she leaves the house every morning at 6.30AM :eek:

@RCoon what insurer you with?

10 Year Member at TPU
  17. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:

Must be a pretty dern well paid job.

personally i would have taken the tank - Road Rage??? no problem! please accept my most humble apologies with this here 120mm tank shell...

Guaranteed no cop will ever pull you over for running a red light.

Tatty_One says thanks.
  18. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    After checking 3 separate comparison sites Swift cover turned up cheapest for fully comp 6000 miles/year

Tatty_One says thanks.
  19. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    It is a good job, she has been very fortunate but genuinely..... she is a driven woman! She works for the Government ;)

10 Year Member at TPU
  20. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:

let me guess daddyo, you shoehorned her into a job by pulling a few strings?? Im quite sure you have many contacts within the government who could possibly return a few favours right?

21. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    No, she did it all by herself, I know she is my daughter and all that but she has serious amounts of talent, far more than I ever did, certainly at that age.

10 Year Member at TPU
  22. LaytonJnr

LaytonJnr

Thanks Received:
    @RCoon - It seems life becomes busy unexpectedly. I've been trying to follow what's been going on in this thread, but apart from that I haven't really been around on the forums much.

The release of the GTX 970 and 980 almost got my upgrade fingers twitching, but I'm currently interested in what a potential GTX 960 could be like compared to the 760. I'm pretty happy at 1080p at the moment, and my 270X is still playing smoothly at Ultra or High settings for what I'm throwing at it, so I'm pretty content with what I got.

23. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Hey bud, you know the key is research. I went for a test bench to accommodate a stupendously OTT array of cooling. I liked the functionality of the Dimastech set up. I'd personally avoid an open bench that looks 'fangled' as it may not be quite as practical as you'd like. As for mounting, it can require a bit of creativity but that's where the fun begins. Get googling, I read up on quite a few sites before settling on the one i have now. I have no more case upgrade urges - I have reached the fabled nirvana of 'upgrade requirement banished'. All I have to do is clean my loop and upgrade the system as required.

24. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    I've spent an age looking at test benches. I adore the Primochill, but honestly, no PSU mount, and £130 for what is a few pieces of acryllic I can build at work is just not on. I've also looked at the Strike-X Air but it looks to childish, and is largely bendy plastic. I think the Dimastech Mini is probably my best bet, not sure the Nano is entirely worth it for a mere £10 less. It's just that damn AIO mount.

25. d1nky

Thanks Received:
    Rcoon get the dimastech V3 which can mount 2x360s (take it your rad is 240 and enough hose?) should fit!