• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The TPU UK Clubhouse

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
or children, in my case which isn't ideal, wish I worked nights when I was younger and single lol

I think the same can be said about shift work in general. I experienced a lot of this growing up as a young boy. My dad was always doing shift work and I didnt get to see very much of him. But when i did see him he always wanted to do his own thing rather than really do family stuff.

I always held a rather deep emotional grudge against him, blaming him for not spending more time with me and my sister when we were kids but I started to understand him a lot more the older i got and when I also started doing shift work myself.

I still wish he had spent more time with us but I'm not as mad about it as i was when i was in my teen years.

I went though a long period when i was doing 60hr weeks. The first day you get off becomes a wasted day as you're pretty much sleeping for 8-12hrs of it anyway then the rest of the day and the next youre just lounging around and chilling. You dont want to be around no one, you dont want to see no one. You dont want to hang out with no one - you just want to stay on the couch and play your Playstation or Xbox or jump on the PC for some battlefield and relax.

As for trying to organise days to hang out with friends. Ive have a few friends that all worked odd jobs and we pretty much had to try work around each others off shift patterns which meant we probably could hang out once every 2-3 months unless otherwise. My bus driver friend always seemed to be on a rolling roster but quite a weird one with odd days on and odd days off and one random weekend off in the month.

::EDIT::

6700XT has shipped
Dance Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Now the wait for DPD to deliver it begins. Hopefully they wont steal it. - (delivery tomorrow)

Last edited:
System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
I think the same can be said about shift work in general. I experienced a lot of this growing up as a young boy. My dad was always doing shift work and I didnt get to see very much of him. But when i did see him he always wanted to do his own thing rather than really do family stuff.

I always held a rather deep emotional grudge against him, blaming him for not spending more time with me and my sister when we were kids but I started to understand him a lot more the older i got and when I also started doing shift work myself.

I still wish he had spent more time with us but I'm not as mad about it as i was when i was in my teen years.

I went though a long period when i was doing 60hr weeks. The first day you get off becomes a wasted day as you're pretty much sleeping for 8-12hrs of it anyway then the rest of the day and the next youre just lounging around and chilling. You dont want to be around no one, you dont want to see no one. You dont want to hang out with no one - you just want to stay on the couch and play your Playstation or Xbox or jump on the PC for some battlefield and relax.

As for trying to organise days to hang out with friends. Ive have a few friends that all worked odd jobs and we pretty much had to try work around each others off shift patterns which meant we probably could hang out once every 2-3 months unless otherwise. My bus driver friend always seemed to be on a rolling roster but quite a weird one with odd days on and odd days off and one random weekend off in the month.

::EDIT::

6700XT has shipped
Dance Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Now the wait for DPD to deliver it begins. Hopefully they wont steal it. - (delivery tomorrow)
That's very true. This is one of the reasons why I don't want to have kids. 8 hours of work, 8 hours of sleep and my daily stuff fill my days already. I'm happy if I have an hour or so to sit down at my PC to read TPU and do a little bit of gaming. Money would be extremely tight with a kid as well. Even if I wanted to, there is just no way I could take on more responsibility. Some people say I'm only being selfish, but wanting kids with my schedule would be stupid. I would have to choose between stressing myself out with overtime (not seeing my family) and not having money for a proper life. I'm not only not happy to make this choice, but it would be irresponsible, too. 6 months maternal and 2 weeks paternal leave is nothing. Nowadays, it's the crappy school system that brings up one's kids, not the parents. Generally, I don't think the 21st century is a good time to have kids. Working hours and living conditions have to improve dramatically, or we'll find ourselves in a dying society pretty soon.

FreedomEclipse

Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
That's very true. This is one of the reasons why I don't want to have kids. 8 hours of work, 8 hours of sleep and my daily stuff fill my days already. I'm happy if I have an hour or so to sit down at my PC to read TPU and do a little bit of gaming. Money would be extremely tight with a kid as well. Even if I wanted to, there is just no way I could take on more responsibility. Some people say I'm only being selfish, but wanting kids with my schedule would be stupid. I would have to choose between stressing myself out with overtime (not seeing my family) and not having money for a proper life. I'm not only not happy to make this choice, but it would be irresponsible, too. 6 months maternal and 2 weeks paternal leave is nothing. Nowadays, it's the crappy school system that brings up one's kids, not the parents. Generally, I don't think the 21st century is a good time to have kids. Working hours and living conditions have to improve dramatically, or we'll find ourselves in a dying society pretty soon.

I mean with that said. Having kids can be a sign of maturity. Even for Mike Tyson.

You adapt and get used to it eventually but i get where you're coming from.

Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
I mean with that said. Having kids can be a sign of maturity. Even for Mike Tyson.

You adapt and get used to it eventually but i get where you're coming from.
At nearly 33, I don't think I'll ever be mature enough. Growing up is boring. :p

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
At nearly 33, I don't think I'll ever be mature enough. Growing up is boring. :p

At the end of the day. You dont decide to have a kid unless youre 100% financially stable and with the cost of everything these days, Its real tough. But ive been told having kids is actually good for the soul and helps people live longer because it gives them a sense of purpose or a reason to live. Whether or not thats true at all is anyone's guess. (i mean barring terminal diseases/conditions and fatal accidents of course...)

If youre earning minimum wage here. Its going to be a long road ahead for you if you have a kid.

Software Windows 10 Pro
At the end of the day. You dont decide to have a kid unless youre 100% financially stable and with the cost of everything these days, Its real tough. But ive been told having kids is actually good for the soul and helps people live longer because it gives them a sense of purpose or a reason to live. Whether or not thats true at all is anyone's guess. (i mean barring terminal diseases/conditions and fatal accidents of course...)
I think it's true, with the addition that a child isn't the only source of purpose in life. I see how one can bring joy, but they aren't the only such things. :) For me, I've got my girlfriend, my friends, and although my parents and brother are quite far away, they're important for me as well. Not to mention hobbies...

I just remembered, dealing with teenage temper is another reason why I'm opting out of the experience. I remember my own teenage years... ugh. My poor parents... :respect:

If youre earning minimum wage here. Its going to be a long road ahead for you if you have a kid.
Well, I'm officially pennies above minimum wage, but I have my night shift premium and a small contribution for being a trainer on top of that. It's not a fortune, but decent enough. A child would change everything, though. I have no idea know how families make do with minimum wage, honestly. It must be tax credits or something.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
Actually it's enlightening, you learn and experience so much more and I can say that with experience :D

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Software Win 10 Home x64
Software Windows 10 Pro
You dont decide to have a kid unless youre 100% financially stable and with the cost of everything these days, Its real tough.
Nonsense. I had my first 5 long before I was even close to financially stable.

If you want kids, have them and find a way to make it work. It's part of the challenge of life. Live it and be in the moment. If you stop and wait until you're "ready", you'll never be ready.

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
Nonsense. I had my first 5 long before I was even close to financially stable.

If you want kids, have them and find a way to make it work. It's part of the challenge of life. Live it and be in the moment. If you stop and wait until you're "ready", you'll never be ready.

I wouldnt want to put my kids through hardships like that... If im working flat out to pay bills, rent and put food on the table but just scraping by between paycheques. Thats not how i would choose to raise a child. Its no quality of life and i wouldnt want to condemn submit them to that standard of living. This is pretty much what i would class as 'living beyond ones means' - If i cant afford to have kids. I wont. Im not going to be that guy that will have a girl drop one or two out then decide that it wasnt a very good idea after all.

You have your own opinion and thats fair. But so do I because living in poverty fucking sucks.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 24505

I wouldnt want to put my kids through hardships like

When i was a kid, my dad was a drunk, consequently we did not get fed or clothed properly, sometimes went to school in dirty or dishevelled clothes and not forgetting the physical abuse including sometimes getting whipped with electrical cable. So i totally agree on people being in the correct financial and mental condition before having kids.

I wouldnt want to put my kids through hardships like that...
That would depend on ones definition of "hardship". In our case, money was lean for a few years, but I made sure we wanted for nothing. Had to work 2 jobs for a while. Of course I do that now but am used to it at this point.

Software Windows 10 Pro
I wouldnt want to put my kids through hardships like that... If im working flat out to pay bills, rent and put food on the table but just scraping by between paycheques. Thats not how i would choose to raise a child. Its no quality of life and i wouldnt want to condemn submit them to that standard of living. This is pretty much what i would class as 'living beyond ones means' - If i cant afford to have kids. I wont. Im not going to be that guy that will have a girl drop one or two out then decide that it wasnt a very good idea after all.

You have your own opinion and thats fair. But so do I because living in poverty fucking sucks.
Submitting a child to a hard life isn't necessarily bad. Life isn't all sunshine and rainbows which is best learnt at an early age.

Having said that, I agree that it's better to plan children with a financially stable background. Working 60+ hours a week, two jobs, etc to make ends meet is not impossible, but 1. you end up not spending any quality time with your family, 2. complete mental and physical exhaustion should never be one's lifestyle. You should value yourself enough to allow some down time. I don't want my child to grow up without a father (who's always at work), and I don't want to work only to pay the bills and buy food, which is basically the definition of modern slavery.

Last edited by a moderator:

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(

Sometimes children come along without any real notice at all and sometimes you just have to deal with it and get on with it :)

They can be a blessing but at the moment I'm not sure I'd agree with my youngest being just 3 and acting like she's 13.... The temper tantrums she has... But she's like her Mum, so nothing I can do that.. Guess I'm screwed with that one...
Hardly seeing my eldest who's coming up 9 and she's had a crap life so far in some ways. Was took by my ex whilst I was at work one night, 7 years later and I'm not really any further forward to getting to see properly or such. The talking might be a little better but I've not seen her in 4 months due to my broken leg... Hopefully next weekend, I'll be able to go pick her up but sadly won't be having her for any longer than normal, its just not allowed :laugh: Still, here's hoping things will change when she is a little older and can actually choose where she'd like to live rather than just be taken......

Still, I love both my girls regardless of how they can sometimes act... I do hope however that the youngest gets out of her ways sooner rather than later.. I think environment is a big influence and she's not always in the best of ones....

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
Out of morbid curiosity. Does anyone know where i can get a pre-owned 9900k that hasnt been completely roached out? Not looking at paying amazon prices for it.

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
Generally I just turn to Ebay for somethings like that but I suppose you could always try the HWBot forums, but they are probably just as rare there without them being put under LN2 and pushed through hell.. :(

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
Generally I just turn to Ebay for somethings like that but I suppose you could always try the HWBot forums, but they are probably just as rare there without them being put under LN2 and pushed through hell.. :(

A local CEX has one for £300. I might have to see if they still have it. ebay tells me my 8600k can get at least £95'ish. At least they will have 24months warranty.

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
I believe they had started going up again for a little while, not sure why, maybe to do with the new boards etc. for the 10th gen and such, but £300 seemed about right. Might be able to get a KS version for that money as well maybe??

Maybe something to keep an eye on??

Software Windows 10 Pro
I believe they had started going up again for a little while, not sure why, maybe to do with the new boards etc. for the 10th gen and such, but £300 seemed about right. Might be able to get a KS version for that money as well maybe??

Maybe something to keep an eye on??
Maybe the million core craze is going down with people realising that you don't need the latest and greatest for gaming? I dunno, just a wild guess.

Out of morbid curiosity. Does anyone know where i can get a pre-owned 9900k that hasnt been completely roached out? Not looking at paying amazon prices for it.
I only buy used stuff from CEX, or Ebay sellers with high reputation (over 95% positive). Trust is very hard to come by these days.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Software Win 10 Home x64
You're generous. I generally exclude everyone under 97%. I go looking for the negative remarks if under 100% to see what the problem was.
Personally I am a 100% with at least 50 x feedback man, integrity has gone to shit these days :)

Personally I am a 100% with at least 50 x feedback man, integrity has gone to shit these days :)
That's fair. Thing is, I've been in retail long enough that I allow for things that just go wrong sometimes. Sellers with otherwise perfectly honest intentions get screwed by a dishonest buyer or sometimes things just go wrong and a transaction ends poorly. These kinds of things should be taken into consideration. That's why I look at the feedback, to see if it's something to be concerned about or if it seems like a one-off.