• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The unsatisfying state of air cooling solutions on the market (Case/GPU/NT) - idea as pic

The main problem is with the GPU spreading all the heat around the system components and also the CPU.
Blowers are loud, while Top-Blowers spread the heat into system.

So short of thoughts i painted this pic:
case cooling.png

Also on GPU-top-blowers on the right side it blows the heat upwards the fan of the CPU (its fan sucks it to itself) so warm air goes through the heatsink of the CPU.
Also those GPU air solutions blows directly to the mainboard/PCIe, depends on the direction of the fins. And mostly those cards have it open in direction to the mainboard.

So in the years they started to put the NT on the bottom with its own airchannel in case manufacturing, they could do this too with CPU and GPU to seperate them and
create their own airchannels.

The heatsink of the GPU should be redesigned, fins into length, in direction from front to rear case and a higher profile. So on some GPU cards it would be possible to use them without
any fans attached to it and let the casefans do the work. Generally casefans are more quiet and more reliable.

Also the rear of the case should have a place under the GPU for a casefan to suck the warm air out.

The alternative NT design, just a small additional idea but not so important. Atm in my case for example theres a small space between fan and bottom (without holes), that is also not
optimal.

I hope some manufactures sees this or have their own ideas.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
I’m pretty satisfied with my temps on my setup. Very satisfied in fact with my air cooling. None of my temps ever get anywhere close to worrisome.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
This is getting into the age-old "most efficient cooling solution" discussion, but I think you'll find that the most efficient cooling setup will exhaust out the top. Hot air rises and so an exhaust fan on top will draw all the hot air straight out.
Think about the garbage can 2013 Mac Pro: Terrible machine, but one thing it did brilliantly was it's almost-ideal cooling configuration. Intake on the bottom, exhaust out the top, that means hot air can be pulled straight out as efficiently as possible. That's what you want.

If you are into clockwise turned motherboards, silverstone raven 2 cases make that vertical alignment.
You will have to make due with blower type gpus since heatpipes don't correctly orient in the vertical axis. However for best performance we would need cooling top arrangement in both the gpu and the cpu anyway. So a custom benchtop with a riser will beat all else.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
If you are into clockwise turned motherboards, silverstone raven 2 cases make that vertical alignment.
You will have to make due with blower type gpus since heatpipes don't correctly orient in the vertical axis. However for best performance we would need cooling top arrangement in both the gpu and the cpu anyway. So a custom benchtop with a riser will beat all else.
I agree with the Op , It would be nice to see some more outlandish cooling setups, but more extreme then him for me, I want triple phase chambers with a Tec on top then what most would consider a massive cooler on top of that, and that's just the CPU.
Wtaf not have a Four nah six card slot GPU cooler, who uses more than one slot , like 5% of us tops, put three vapour chambers in that with sixteen heeatpipes on top both cooled by some kind of hybrid jet effect fan ,ultra high pressure low rpm fans.
That's quite too :p

I think vertical is still the best for the case of laminar flow air impedance reduction. If we had back face sweeping large blowers I think we could reduce cooler noise a bit, however they are independable as load increases as flow decreases. That is the opposite with a forward blade blower fan. So we cannot have those small induction motors in the same unit hub.

Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
I think vertical is still the best for the case of laminar flow air impedance reduction. If we had back face sweeping large blowers I think we could reduce cooler noise a bit, however they are independable as load increases as flow decreases. That is the opposite with a forward blade blower fan. So we cannot have those small induction motors in the same unit hub.
Hey I'm just pulling ideas out my butt, I'm not scienceing the crap out of this rig, but I have been getting fresh ideas on an external to my pc removable 360mm stood rad just cooling four recs, meant TECS that then drop my water temps to ambient fully, with the potential for lower.

Hey I'm just pulling ideas out my butt, I'm not scienceing the crap out of this rig, but I have been getting fresh ideas on an external to my pc removable 360mm stood rad just cooling four recs, meant TECS that then drop my water temps to ambient fully, with the potential for lower.
I heard you get better convection with some spacing in the middle. I'm most positive no one makes hub shrouds to the radiator dead zone where the motor sits.

Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
I heard you get better convection with some spacing in the middle. I'm most positive no one makes hub shrouds to the radiator dead zone where the motor sits.
I plan to use an unconventional design, my old cases whole front door, Thermaltake Kandalf Lcs had ,well still atm has a swinging fully aluminuim front door, always liked it, with a weird 360 threaded pipe radiator, like a heatsink ,one pipe 10 passes, it worked well with a lot of air flow across it from push pull, i have phantec standoffs :) set asside for it and enough fans ,waterblocks(ex gpu)and the controller , i just need a pump and some Tecs, and quick release fittings err and pipe but thats it and i can start building.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
I plan to use an unconventional design, my old cases whole front door, Thermaltake Kandalf Lcs had ,well still atm has a swinging fully aluminuim front door, always liked it, with a weird 360 threaded pipe radiator, like a heatsink ,one pipe 10 passes, it worked well with a lot of air flow across it from push pull, i have phantec standoffs :) set asside for it and enough fans ,waterblocks(ex gpu)and the controller , i just need a pump and some Tecs, and quick release fittings err and pipe but thats it and i can start building.
I’m still using that case today. The pump won’t die and I just replaced the CPU block with am AC Cuplex Kyros that keeps my 4790K surppriimgly cool for something so restrictive and designed for Pentium 4s :pimp:

Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
I’m still using that case today. The pump won’t die and I just replaced the CPU block with am AC Cuplex Kyros that keeps my 4790K surppriimgly cool for something so restrictive and designed for Pentium 4s :pimp:
I couldn't throw the case on the tip, I'm even removing the door sympathetically, could all be reversed, it's a good job I'm skint or I'd be surrounded by pcs crunching.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
I couldn't throw the case on the tip, I'm even removing the door sympathetically, could all be reversed, it's a good job I'm skint or I'd be surrounded by pcs crunching.
You couldn't throw it in the tip because it weighs enough to throw out your back...:roll:I actually reversed my door years ago it was a fun hassle.

Processor Intel Core i5 8400
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370N-Wifi
Cooling Silverstone AR05
Memory Micron Crucial 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX1080 G1 Gaming 8G
Storage Micron Crucial MX300 275GB
Display(s) Dell U2415
Case Silverstone RVZ02B
Power Supply Silverstone SSR-SX550
Keyboard Ducky One Red Switch
Software Windows 10 Pro 1909
I would like to have something like a 2U motherboard, except one of the socket is for GPU, and they can both use big tower air coolers. But then, I have no clue how to integrate the GPU circuitry and GDDR.

I would like to have something like a 2U motherboard, except one of the socket is for GPU, and they can both use big tower air coolers. But then, I have no clue how to integrate the GPU circuitry and GDDR.

HBM and SXM3 is the answer to that.

1582256640000.png

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
The unsatisfying state of air cooling solutions on the market
I reject this statement completely. The entire premise is simply false!

With the exception of extreme overclocking (and exceptions do NOT make the rule), if you cannot achieve proper cooling with fans (and without excessive noise too) then it is YOU who are doing an unsatisfactory job at selecting components (case and fans) and setting up your case cooling!

Thanks to the ATX Form Factor standard, there are lots and lots of air cooling solutions on the market giving us lots and lots of very effective options to choose from. :) :) :) And that includes, BTW, OEM CPU cooling solutions for those CPUs that come with OEM supplied coolers.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
giving us lots and lots of very effective options to choose from.

In the mind of a cooling reviewer, I reject this statement.

CPU cooling has taken a nose dive in the last couple of years in the pursuit of silence and RGB. There hasn't been a cooler that can compete with the top of my CPU cooler charts in two to three years. CPU cooler manufacturers are now happy with mediocre results, rather than anyone trying to improve the performance. I too am unsatisfied with the state of current options!

Just because a cooler "works" does not mean satisfaction is part of it.

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
I’m pretty satisfied with my temps on my setup. Very satisfied in fact with my air cooling. None of my temps ever get anywhere close to worrisome.
+1
same, my temps are cool (and my CPU is OC) and my fans stay silent.

Latest generation coolers have two distinct modes of operation, imo. One silent with standard fans and another high power mode with reference fans are installed.
Scythe Fuma & Ninja target specific noise levels and cannot overcome some threshold without running into elevated air pressure. They can offer great improvements, albeit not overcome its associated noise. Such conditionalities force newer generations to slim down to lower air impedance, imo.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
In the mind of a cooling reviewer...

Just because a cooler "works" does not mean satisfaction is part of it.
"In the mind of a" certified master electronics technician, yes it does!

There seems to be this unrealistic belief these days that something is good or satisfactory only if it is the best, and anything less is unsatisfactory. That's simple hogwash! It may seem to be true when it comes to personal opinions. But that is NOT true, or realistic in the unbiased and technical world of electronics cooling. The Laws of Physics and thermodynamics are not based on personal opinion.

If the cooling solution keeps the CPU comfortably within its specified normal operating temperature range, then it "works" and that is "satisfactory"!

It is wrong - from a purely technical aspect - to assume cooler is automatically better. That is just more hogwash! Yes, proper cooling is absolutely essential, but it is NOT necessary to get the coolest temps possible. There is absolutely nothing to suggest a CPU running at 30°C will be more stable, perform better, or have a longer life expectancy than a cooler running at 50° or even warmer.

PLUS - and this seems to be something you chose to ignore in your reply to me :( - proper cooling is also a function of good case cooling too. If the case does not adequately extract the heat the CPU cooler tosses up, then of course, CPU cooling will be affected. But that takes me back to my original comment where I expressly stated that it is the user's responsibility to select the proper case and set up proper case cooling too.

Do note, SP, the OP was NOT just addressing CPU coolers but cases too.

This is getting into the age-old "most efficient cooling solution" discussion, but I think you'll find that the most efficient cooling setup will exhaust out the top. Hot air rises and so an exhaust fan on top will draw all the hot air straight out.
Think about the garbage can 2013 Mac Pro: Terrible machine, but one thing it did brilliantly was it's almost-ideal cooling configuration. Intake on the bottom, exhaust out the top, that means hot air can be pulled straight out as efficiently as possible. That's what you want.
The effect of hot air rising is completely irrelevant as soon as a fan is involved. I really wish people would stop regurgitating this little bit of common nonsense.

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
The effect of hot air rising is completely irrelevant as soon as a fan is involved. I really wish people would stop regurgitating this little bit of common nonsense.
100%, while it does rise it does so slowly and I can stick intake fans in a PC case roof and shove the hot air right out the vented bottom of a case if I want.

CPU cooling has taken a nose dive in the last couple of years in the pursuit of silence and RGB.

That may have more to do with more cache and cores under load and worse thermal transfer from the CPU to the cooler.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
It may seem to be true when it comes to personal opinions. But that is NOT true, or realistic in the unbiased and technical world of electronics cooling.

Oh, I see, only your opinion and perspective matter. Cases have fallen into the same trap too, but I guess that is from someone who has seen damn near all of them, and not just a select segment of the market.

But I digress, as you are always the one who is right on all topics.

System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
I have top intake bottom exhaust, necessity on this case due to front fan (in the 3x3.5 cage) having to be intake to remove power supply exhausted hot air from the poorly ventilated front bezel, that makes the rear fan exhaust to avoid pressure issues, and therefore the top must be intake. No issues. Just have to have a reliable dual ball bearing design if running impeller up.
IMG_3243.JPG
IMG_3245.JPG

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Aqua Elite 360 V3 1x TL-B12, 2x TL-C12 Pro, 2x TL K12
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, Asus Hyper M.2, 2x SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact RGB
Audio Device(s) JBL 2.1 Deep Bass
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750w G+, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
Brute force with big fans. Quiet fans let you overheat. Small coolers will too.