1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The War: Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by cornemuse, Jan 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kursah

Kursah Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Whenever a topic like this or AMD/ATI vs Nvidia is started, geek wars breakout. It is what it is. Gotta sort through the drama and BS that some folks can't seem to help but spewing, but you'll eventually find some good and useful information. Next time, bring some muck boots and a tarp with you when you start one of these threads! LOL!

Back when you son suggested going AMD, they were a higher performing option, shortly before Core2 was released. The LGA socket, or Land Grid Array has the pins on the motherboard-side. Pins still bend and are a pain in the arse to straighten at times...but a steady hand, small screwdriver (think eye glass repair kit) and a good magnifying glass makes all the difference. I've been able to fix far more LGA bent pins than CPU-side bent pins. It works, Intel's proven it works well and for a long time and I've come to prefer it.

:toast:

yogurt_21 says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  2. Knoxx29

Knoxx29

Thanks Received:
    :respect::respect::respect::respect::respect::respect:

3. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I've used the mechanical pencil technique. The bore where the lead goes is a perfect fit for the pins. Simply slide the pencil bore over the pin and pull it straight out.

yogurt_21 and Kursah say thanks.
  4. dorsetknob

dorsetknob "YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"

Thanks Received:
    Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
    And the Pitch Fork for the invetiable Shit Shoveling[​IMG] :)

yogurt_21 and Kursah say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  5. Kursah

Kursah Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yep, that's a good old trick for sure! Been a looooooooooong time since I last needed to use it! I sadly have had pins break off trying to straighten...even after applying heat. But that's happened with LGA-style pins too...those little gold pins can snap off so damn easily...but they're also easy to change direction with some heat and a few flicks with a micro flathead screwdriver.

Good to see someone sharing that old method for CPU pin straightening. :toast:

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    Off topic, but that's Sparky the mascot for Arizona State University.

He favors Intel.

dorsetknob and CAPSLOCKSTUCK say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  7. Papahyooie

Papahyooie

Thanks Received:
    With PGA (pins on the processor style that AMD still uses) I use a credit card to straighten out pins. Just slide the card along the pins that are straight, all the way up the processor until you get to the bent one, then use the edge of the credit card to push the bent pin back in place until it lines up with the rest of them. Of course, if the pin is bent all the way down to where it's touching the base, that won't help much.... I use some tiny tweezers in that case to get it up to where I can line them up with the credit card.

dorsetknob says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. GelatanousMuck

GelatanousMuck

Thanks Received:
    Intel vs AMD

With AMD it's wait for Bulldozer, well that didn't do it.
    OK wait for Piledriver, nope not the Mama!
    Wait for Steamroller then, you'll see. No that didn't do it.
    Ok, Ok, wait for Excavator, and that's not beating Intel either.
    Well now wait for Ryzen?

Seriously Guys, When is enough, enough?

The problem with AMD came when the Intel Core 2 Duo dethroned the early FX line, instead of AMD getting to work to reclaim the crown they literally gave up and went with the business end sinking all their hopes into Opterons.

Guess what, that strategy did not work and AMD let Intel get so far ahead, so far down the road, that today, Intel has no pressure at all to deliver another spanking to AMD.

Intel is presently just releasing baby steps to us, but I guarantee that Intel has some killer tech waiting in the wings, just in case AMD can pull a feather out of it's hat!

Just like all the hoopla we're seeing today regarding Ryzen this, and Ryzen that, with no release date to back up any claims, just like AMD has done all along.

I was an AMD fan but I got tired of waiting a long time ago, with zero Intel regrets. :peace:

9. eidairaman1

eidairaman1 The Exiled Airman

Thanks Received:
    Good for you...

Piledriver fixed a lot of what was broken with BD. Check a few pages back with my results.

10. cdawall

cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    It took 5ghz for you to best a 3.3ghz (stock) 2500k in single threaded performance. Piledriver didn't fix the awful single threaded IPC that plagues all of the AM3+ lineup.

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    2500K and 8350 were in same ball park figures stock on both for ST. The major advantages were intels chip running a little cooler/power draw.

12. cdawall

Thanks Received:
    I mean some would call a 70% IPC gain a pretty big advantage.

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    1199 for 8350 (bear in mind a physically crippled unit from manufacturer), 1317 for 2500K.

118 pt difference, I could understand if it was like 2000 lol.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  14. cdawall

Thanks Received:
    That is only a single application. Games showing a 40FPS deficit to AMD reasonably consistently is bad.

Papahyooie says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  15. Papahyooie

Papahyooie

Thanks Received:
    I think I'm going to have to run some tests myself... I simply do not believe that those benchmarks you linked are legit. I'm not saying the sites are deliberately misleading people, just that something has to be up. I have an 8370 and an i5 4690 as I said before, and with the same graphics card in each one, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference side by side. The intel is slightly faster, maybe 5 fps. But nothing that you can see with your eyes.

And on that note, that's another thing... "Can you see it with your eyes?" How good is good enough? If the intel gets 900fps in Doom, and the AMD gets 100fps, none of it will matter because most people won't be able to tell the difference anyway. And that begs the question of monitors. If your monitor is only 60hz, does it make sense to spend extra money to get a processor that bumps you up from 100fps to 150fps? The monitor can't display those frames anyway.

Just more things to think about when choosing. I'm definitely going to run some benchmarks though, because that doesn't at all match up with my personal experience.

Crunching for Team TPU