• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OFFICIAL The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (Discussion)

A country of Vast Meadows and Picturesque Forests
System Name SUPPRESSOR Mk IV
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @undervolt
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair VII Hero (X470)
Cooling EK CoolStream PE360 @front w/ 3x NB B12-P; Eisblock XPX; Eisbecher D5 250; Eispumpe VPP755;
Memory G.Skill Trident Z LGBT (B-die) 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3000MHz CL14 @4133 CL19 (F4-3000C14D-32GTZR)
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6800 XT @undervolt w/ EK-Quantum Vector N+; +EK CoolStream PE360 @top
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 x2; +FreeNAS in Node 304 w/ 4x6TB Seagate IronWolf 3.5" HDD
Display(s) NEC PA241W @1200p; Dell U2412M @1200p; Dell U2413 @1200p; LG 65SJ950V @2160p
Case Fractal Define 7 Black /w Dark TG; +2x Be Quiet Shadow Wings 120mm at bottom
Audio Device(s) Yamaha AG06; UR28M; SB X-Fi Elite Pro; Yamaha HS7; Sennheiser HD 650; HyperX Cloud; AKG C214
Power Supply XFX XTS2 1000W (P1-1000-XTS2) (Seasonic PD platform)
Mouse Zowie EC1-A; +Akasa Mouse Pad TXL 1000x500mm
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro (Red Cherry MX)
Software Windows 10 Pro; / AMD Radeon 23.11.1
Im running 352.86 and I had significantly less crashes than the latest.... Actually up until last night I didnt have any crashes at all on 352.86. Last night though in a period of about 30 minutes I got 2 or 3 "Driver stopped working and recovered error" I restarted my computer and set my 970 to default clocks and it hasnt happened since.

Seems to be an intermittent thing...
I'm 350.12. And for ALL games except Witcher 3 it's flawless. I play many racers, like Dirt3, Dirt Rally, Grid, Grid Autosport, Project Cars, Assetto Corsa, also AC Unity, Wasteland 2, Divinity Original Sin. And everything really flawless. Except Witcher 3.
Well, this afternoon i make some tweaks in Xonar driver, - disable PCM, and "play" a little with channels. And after just terrible morning, for now any crash.
Hmm seems like Witcher 3 are very cranky :/

Here is a very nice picture of Geralt in his Griffin armor looking really good:
Griffin gear very beautiful and looks expensive :) I start with it. But now i roll to most light Feline gear.

Feline school gear III, at the moment:

This gear is about attack power, stamina restore and mad sword work, mostly. Compared with Griffin which is maded to increase Sign power.
I want try Ursine gear now :) Heavy stuff..

Last edited:
System Name Isabella
Processor Intel i7-4790K OC
Motherboard Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark I
Cooling NZXT Kraken X61, 2x Corsair SP PWM, 2x Noctua iPPC 3K PWM
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 1866
Video Card(s) Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 500GB, 2xPatriot Blaze 240GB, WD Green 6TB
Display(s) Dell U2410f, Viewsonic VP720b, Sony Bravia 40"
Case NZXT H440 Blue
Audio Device(s) FiiO K3
Power Supply Corsair AX760i
Mouse Logitech G700
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB
Griffin gear very beautiful and looks expensive :) I start with it. But now i roll to most light Feline gear.

Feline school gear III, at the moment:

This gear is about attack power, stamina restore and mad sword work, mostly. Compared with Griffin which is maded to increase Sign power. I want try Ursine gear now :) Heavy stuff..

Oh wow that's a cool armor. I just got the complete set of Griffin armor, sigh, a bit disappointed with the big belly.

Hey, how about we post armors and stickied here or in another thread? I want to aim for a good looking armor (of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder), so if you guys posted some pics would be helpful.

I can't help but to stop and admire the scenery... been a long time I've seen sunset... just amazing... (0_0)

System Name CID
Processor Ryzen 3600x
Motherboard X570 Steel Legend
Cooling Hydro on both gpu and cpu
Memory Corsair vengeance 32GB
Video Card(s) Asrock RX 6900XT
Storage Full SSD
Display(s) Sony 4k HDR display
Case Thermaltake Core X71 Black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Artemis 7.1 wireless
Power Supply Evga supernova 750G2
Mouse Logitech G600 White
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Windows 10 64BIT

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Oh wow that's a cool armor. I just got the complete set of Griffin armor, sigh, a bit disappointed with the big belly.

Hey, how about we post armors and stickied here or in another thread? I want to aim for a good looking armor (of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder), so if you guys posted some pics would be helpful.

I can't help but to stop and admire the scenery... been a long time I've seen sunset... just amazing... (0_0)

I'll have to post my mastercrafted Griffin Armor later. It's a work of art! Right now I'm busy in the first frustrating part of the game, Through Time and Space.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
I'll have to post my mastercrafted Griffin Armor later. It's a work of art! Right now I'm busy in the first frustrating part of the game, Through Time and Space.

You bought the game two years too early? Do you get it now my fellow PC gamer? Stop paying full price at launch to be a beta tester.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Wanted to go ahead and put up some images of Geralt's Mastercrafted Griffin armor and swords.

From the back:

Gold wingtip Griffin boots:

And a conversation view of the armor while talking about future with Triss:

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
You bought the game two years too early? Do you get it now my fellow PC gamer? Stop paying full price at launch to be a beta tester.

Huh? I'm confused. I'm just saying there is a particularly frustrating quest that is....almost insta death if you don't take the right route. It's just a matter of picking out the right path to take.

But hell, 125 hours in on first playhrough and the only time I've been frustrated? Yeah, I'll take that!! This really is the only game I've played that was so thoroughly ready at launch. It's a masterpiece! This is how game SHOULD be made. No players as human guinea pig beta=testers here. :D

System Name CID
Processor Ryzen 3600x
Storage Full SSD
Keyboard Corsair K70
Since this is The end of geralt story I think the next ones will focus on the multi world travel

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Ive put in just under 8hrs into the game. As much as i want to play more. the FOV just irritates me.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard MSI B350 Tomahawk
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4
Memory 32GB (2 x 16GB) Kingston FURY Beast, DDR4 3200MHz, CL16
Video Card(s) ASUS Cerberus GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Advanced Edition
Storage Samsung 960 EVO 512 GB (M.2), Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB (SATA)
Display(s) 27" Ozone DSP27 Pro
Case Fractal Design Define S2
Audio Device(s) Onkyo TX-SR444
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12II-620 Evolution
Mouse Logitech G502 HERO SE
Keyboard Razer Ornata Chroma
Software Windows 10 Home x64
I finished the game earlier this week. I really loved it, did nearly everything in White Orchard, Velen and Novigrad, but left a lot of places unexplored in Skellige (still did the major sidequests though). I didn't precisely count hours, but I'm certain I put well over 100 hours into the game, playing on the second-hardest difficulty level (Blood and Broken Bones).

Technically I found the game almost flawless. There were a few annoying bugs in quests - for example, in one sidequest some scripts failed and I got trapped into a cave and had no way out, had to load an earlier save from half an hour earlier - but other than that, I have nothing to complain about. The graphics were great and frametimes were stable; my FPS hovered between 25 and 35, and I never had any kind of stutter, it's the only game I've ever played where I can really say this, it was entirely smooth at all times. I was running it on medium-high settings on my slightly overclocked HD 7850, which, by the way, is below minimum requirements. The game still ran very well and looked awesome! Oh, and I didn't have a single crash during the game. Definitely didn't feel like I'd be some kind of a beta tester, it felt like a finished product from the release day.

My main issue was the clunky PC controls. Especially targeting individual enemies when facing multiple opponents was painful. I can't remember having such issues in Witcher 2, so this is the only thing where CDPR pretty much went to a bad direction.

Where this game shines compared to other RPGs is the story, quests, and characters. Nearly every side quest is unique and deep. Many quests, including less significant side quests, have very unpredictable turns, which makes them very interesting. Even less important side quests have some kind of a story behind them, there's not much generic, reasonless "go there, kill everyone and loot the place just for the hell of it" content here. Characters are deep and varied, and there's few clearly "evil" or "good" characters. Everyone is just doing things that benefit their personal lives the most. It's refreshing when you have no clear foe in this game (well, aside from the Wild Hunt).

Where I feel that CDPR failed at, is the ending. More specifically, the decisions that determine which ending you get. All of the decisions that specify the ending are made within the last 10 hours, and they're all based on some silly conversation options that are often hard to predict.

For example, apparently telling Ciri to "calm down" in the underground laboratory is one of the decisions that leads to the bad ending. That's because Geralt starts talking about Ciri's lineage with the specific conversation option and gives her the medallion, which makes Ciri feel bad. Now, when I selected the option, I only expected to tell Ciri to "calm down" instead of wrecking the laboratory, I did NOT want to start talking about her heritage and give her that medallion.

Another such silly conversation option was after the battle of Kaer Morhen, when Ciri asked how Geralt deals with all the sorrow. I expected the first option ("I know how to lift up your spirits" or something like that) to make Geralt say something cheesy (which wouldn't fit the situation at all), but it actually leads to a snowball fight, which would actually help. Now, how the hell could I predict that it would lead to a snowball fight? Hence, I took the second conversation option, which led to drinking, and it was a bad decision regarding the ending. CDPR should've been much more clear with the conversation options. I'm not suggesting Mass Effect -like clear black and white decisions, but when a conversation option starts a snowball fight, you might as well tell that to the player. Same with the laboratory scene, saying just "calm down" shouldn't have made Geralt do all that.

I also feel that the ending was a bit rushed. After defeating the Wild Hunt we're all of a sudden told that the real enemy is the White Frost, and at the ending I pretty much had no idea what the White Frost was about. It was never properly explained in the game. So, I don't actually know what happened in the end when Ciri went to some other world via the magical gate. The storytelling of the rest of the game was awesome, but in this case, it flopped.

The bad ending scene was great, though. Geralt crying on Ciri's medallion. It was very emotional. I've never had a similar feeling of sorrow in a videogame before. That was very well done.

Overally, I feel that the ending was bad in comparison to the rest of the game. It wasn't a ME3-class flop, but I got disappointed.

I think this is the best RPG I've ever played. Dragon Age: Origins was quite long and very fun, but damn, nothing matches The Witcher 2 and 3 when it comes to story, drama, dialogue, deepness of the NPCs and maturity. Combine that with the huge amount of content, the massive world, and the awesome graphics in this game, and you have something that I doubt will be bested by any other RPG in many years. I think this game definitely ups the standard of RPGs, especially open-world RPGs.

Well done, CDPR. They really earned their €50. I will be watching this studio's upcoming projects with great interest.

Last edited:

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
I finished the game earlier this week. I really loved it, did nearly everything in White Orchard, Velen and Novigrad, but left a lot of places unexplored in Skellige (still did the major sidequests though). I didn't precisely count hours, but I'm certain I put well over 100 hours into the game, playing on the second-hardest difficulty level (Blood and Broken Bones).

Technically I found the game almost flawless. There were a few annoying bugs in quests - for example, in one sidequest some scripts failed and I got trapped into a cave and had no way out, had to load an earlier save from half an hour earlier - but other than that, I have nothing to complain about. The graphics were great and frametimes were stable; my FPS hovered between 25 and 35, and I never had any kind of stutter, it's the only game I've ever played where I can really say this, it was entirely smooth at all times. I was running it on medium-high settings on my slightly overclocked HD 7850, which, by the way, is below minimum requirements. The game still ran very well and looked awesome! Oh, and I didn't have a single crash during the game. Definitely didn't feel like I'd be some kind of a beta tester, it felt like a finished product from the release day.

My main issue was the clunky PC controls. Especially targeting individual enemies when facing multiple opponents was painful. I can't remember having such issues in Witcher 2, so this is the only thing where CDPR pretty much went to a bad direction.

Where this game shines compared to other RPGs is the story, quests, and characters. Nearly every side quest is unique and deep. Many quests, including less significant side quests, have very unpredictable turns, which makes them very interesting. Even less important side quests have some kind of a story behind them, there's not much generic, reasonless "go there, kill everyone and loot the place just for the hell of it" content here. Characters are deep and varied, and there's few clearly "evil" or "good" characters. Everyone is just doing things that benefit their personal lives the most. It's refreshing when you have no clear foe in this game (well, aside from the Wild Hunt).

Where I feel that CDPR failed at, is the ending. More specifically, the decisions that determine which ending you get. All of the decisions that specify the ending are made within the last 10 hours, and they're all based on some silly conversation options that are often hard to predict.

For example, apparently telling Ciri to "calm down" in the underground laboratory is one of the decisions that leads to the bad ending. That's because Geralt starts talking about Ciri's lineage with the specific conversation option and gives her the medallion, which makes Ciri feel bad. Now, when I selected the option, I only expected to tell Ciri to "calm down" instead of wrecking the laboratory, I did NOT want to start talking about her heritage and give her that medallion.

Another such silly conversation option was after the battle of Kaer Morhen, when Ciri asked how Geralt deals with all the sorrow. I expected the first option ("I know how to lift up your spirits" or something like that) to make Geralt say something cheesy (which wouldn't fit the situation at all), but it actually leads to a snowball fight, which would actually help. Now, how the hell could I predict that it would lead to a snowball fight? Hence, I took the second conversation option, which led to drinking, and it was a bad decision regarding the ending. CDPR should've been much more clear with the conversation options. I'm not suggesting Mass Effect -like clear black and white decisions, but when a conversation option starts a snowball fight, you might as well tell that to the player. Same with the laboratory scene, saying just "calm down" shouldn't have made Geralt do all that.

I also feel that the ending was a bit rushed. After defeating the Wild Hunt we're all of a sudden told that the real enemy is the White Frost, and at the ending I pretty much had no idea what the White Frost was about. It was never properly explained in the game. So, I don't actually know what happened in the end when Ciri went to some other world via the magical gate. The storytelling of the rest of the game was awesome, but in this case, it flopped.

The bad ending scene was great, though. Geralt crying on Ciri's medallion. It was very emotional. I've never had a similar feeling of sorrow in a videogame before. That was very well done.

Overally, I feel that the ending was bad in comparison to the rest of the game. It wasn't a ME3-class flop, but I got disappointed.

I think this is the best RPG I've ever played. Dragon Age: Origins was quite long and very fun, but damn, nothing matches The Witcher 2 and 3 when it comes to story, drama, dialogue, deepness of the NPCs and maturity. Combine that with the huge amount of content, the massive world, and the awesome graphics in this game, and you have something that I doubt will be bested by any other RPG in many years. I think this game definitely ups the standard of RPGs, especially open-world RPGs.

Well done, CDPR. They really earned their €50. I will be watching this studio's upcoming projects with great interest.

Wow, you echoed my feelings exactly! But, i make a save every ten minutes, so its easy to go back and fix a bad conversation piece. So its easy to get one of the other two better endings.

Also, Anlach (spelling?) explains the the white frost, and if youre like me, you picked up and read two books by ancient scholars on the white frost.

Other than that, you echoed my sentiments exactly. Only, with the sheer volume of content, and the QUALITY of all that content, this should be a $150 game! They didnt even cookie cutter dialogue. They spent two years just on the dialogue voice acting recording!

I will take a step further. Not just the best RPG, this easily gets my vote for best game of all time. It has set the bar so high it will likely stay there for ten years, much like HL2 did!

Last edited:
I will take a step further. Not just the best RPG, this easily gets ne vote for best game of all time. It has set the bar so high it will likely stay there for ten years, much like HL2 did!
It just might be the best game of all time, but I don't like comparing games between different genres (I tend to spend most of my gaming time on RTS games), so I'll just say that it's the best RPG I've ever played ;)

Also, Anlach (spelling?) explains the the white frost, and if youre like me, you picked up and read two books by ancient schars on the white frost.
I read some of the books and such, but not all. The game was long enough without them, and I didn't feel like spending half of my summer holidays on the game (and I was focused on the quests) :p But I guess I have some additional reading to do when it comes to the White Frost.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Finished just now with 135 hours. Man, I got the so-called "best" ending, and it was so emotional still.

System Name CID
Processor Ryzen 3600x
Storage Full SSD
Keyboard Corsair K70
Oh yeah pm me ur ending and I'll pm I mine. I'm curious since there is 36 endings lol.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
We need a way to upgrade the Warrior jacket more... and have other items for that set.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter

Processor i7 7700k
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
The characters look great but the background looks like 17 year old shit boiled over with a new face on it. Just my opinion.

The characters look great but the background looks like 17 year old shit boiled over with a new face on it. Just my opinion.

Feel free to list all the games with better "backgrounds". Whatever you ment by that.

Motherboard ASUS STRIX X570-E
Cooling NOCTUA NH-U12A
Memory G.Skill FlareX 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 4070 DUAL
Storage 1 TB WD Black SN850X | 2 TB WD Blue SN570 | 10 TB WD Purple Pro
Display(s) LG 32QP880N 32"
Case Fractal Design Define R5 Black
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
Mouse Pulsar X2
Keyboard KIRA EXS

IIRC, there's a conversation between Geralt and Hjalmar (or Cerys, I don't remember) that mentioned the snowball fight. Ciri spent some of his childhood time in Skellige and she used to play snowball fight with Hjalmar.

IIRC, there's a conversation between Geralt and Hjalmar (or Cerys, I don't remember) that mentioned the snowball fight. Ciri spent some of his childhood time in Skellige and she used to play snowball fight with Hjalmar.
Well, that explains it. Although, I still think CDPR shouldn't expect me to remember such details. While I've gone through the scene, I'm not exactly Geralt and can't remember all the events and conversations that happened hours earlier in the game. And, in this case, the snowball conversation option is rather cryptic, even if you happen to remember that detail from an earlier conversation. It's pretty much impossible to connect "I know what might lift up your spirits" with a snowball fight in this case.

Processor i7 7700k
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
So is it at least more fun than Dear Esther? That whatever in the fuck game it was bored me to shit.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
So is it at least more fun than Dear Esther? That whatever in the fuck game it was bored me to shit.
Turn it down on the language a bit please.

Thanks. :)