• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Theoretical waterproofing and cooling a PC

Harpener

Could someone tell me why this wouldn't work. Since water is supposedly one of the best heat transfer materials around but it can't be mixed with electricity so why not use the recent cellphone waterproofing technology. Have every single component, wire, motherboard, case, CPU and even the power supply sent through the nanotechnology waterproofing process then reassemble the computer and drop it into a big tub of water. Since the technology works for phones, Nintendo DS's, and other electronics why wouldn't it work for a computer. Seems like this would be the ideal cooling solution.*
Feels free to shoot my idea full of holes. It just popped into my head when I saw a notice about one of the nanotech waterproofing companies planning to open a location near me.*

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
As long as it doesnt make contact i dont see why not. I dont know how this waterproofing technology works though.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7600
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
Memory Kingston Fury Beast DDR5-5600 16GBx2
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT 16GB
Storage TEAMGROUP T-Force Z440 2TB, SPower A60 2TB, SPower A55 2TB, Seagate 4TBx2, Samsung 870 2TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 + Xitrix WFP-2415
Case Montech Air X
Audio Device(s) Realtek onboard
Power Supply Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 FM 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G304
Keyboard Redragon K557 KAIA RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 10
There have been liquid cooling already done that way, albeit it's oil and not water that is used.

This shows a fundamental lack of understanding about the technology. Here we go.

Water proofing, as in the kind for smaller devices, is providing a seal around the entire device. This seal is generally a deposition process, so light easily passes through the surface. You wind up with a device that isn't actually waterproof, just water tight.

Water is actually non-conductive. Whenever you get salts, or other conductors, dissolved into it you get something dangerous to technology. You can run deionized water over a running motherboard without any fear of a short circuit. The problem is that deionized water only stays that way for so long.

The devices you are talking about generate almost no thermal energy. They are designed to run on batteries, and thus minimize power consumption. A PC is designed to have much higher temperatures, but be able to perform calculations a lot better.

The "solution" you're thinking about is not reasonable. There is no magic water proofing element. On the other hand, the solution you are aspiring toward has existed for years. Submerge the entire PC in oil. No water damage, better heat dissipation, and less costly than applying a coating. Is it stupid, yeah. Do people do it, yep.

Harpener

I'd seen the oil bath version before. I read in that article that water is a much better coolant. Also mineral oil is expensive especially if you need a large amount. Water is pretty much free and it's easier to cleanup if you spill some. Is it possible that the high temperatures break apart the nano seals?

Edit: just noticed lilhasselhoffer answered most of what I was curious about.

I'd seen the oil bath version before. I read in that article that water is a much better coolant. Also mineral oil is expensive especially if you need a large amount. Water is pretty much free and it's easier to cleanup if you spill some. Is it possible that the high temperatures break apart the nano seals?

?

1) Nano seal means nothing. It just means that the deposition process they use is very fine.
2) Heat is referenced because sealing something in tends to stop heat transfer. No heat transfer means heat buildup, which mean overheating.
3) Water is not a better conductor than oil. You give me the situation, and there are a dozen oils that can transfer heat better.
4) A computer has multiple ports. A water seal would have to cover them. Who wants a PC that can't even have a graphics card (not to mention RAM) swapped out?

If you want a computer with zero upgradeability, no warranty, and you've got money to burn you're welcome to do this. Otherwise it's 100% frivolous, 100% a money waste, and completely non-functional.

Now one last point of education. The "nano waterproof seal" is a misnomer. Essentially a very thin layer of metal oxide is applied to a surface. The process vaporizes the metal oxide, then allows the vapor to condense onto the device. This deposited layer creates a shell around the device, sealing it from outside water penetration. Not magic. It's basically the same as plastic shrink wrap. Now think about plastic shrink wrapping your motherboard. Seem foolish yet?

System Name windows 10 pro 64bit
Processor i5 6600k 4.4ghz 1.25v
Motherboard asus maximus viii gene
Cooling BeQuiet Dark Rock pro
Memory 2x8(16)GB 2860mhz
Video Card(s) gtx 1070 EVGA
Storage ssd x2 128gb raid0/ ssd480gb
Display(s) AOC 1440p 75hz
Case Aerocool DS Cube
Audio Device(s) asus motherboard intergrated
Power Supply be Quiet pure power L8 600w
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw wireles
Keyboard Logitec G213
Software my favorite World of Tanks :) is that a software?? :)
im just wondering if u buy som watercooling kit...,witch u need to asemble by your self...,is ther some liquid that is non conductive to fill the loop so if the loop is leaking for some reason it dont damage hardware??is there some kind of oil that can fill the loop and doo the job??

Harpener

Thanks. I've learned alot. It wasn't something I was really planning on trying I was just curious about the theoretical possibility. If most oils are better thermal conductors why do most water cooling kits use some form of water based coolant?

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Now one last point of education. The "nano waterproof seal" is a misnomer. Essentially a very thin layer of metal oxide is applied to a surface. The process vaporizes the metal oxide, then allows the vapor to condense onto the device. This deposited layer creates a shell around the device, sealing it from outside water penetration. Not magic. It's basically the same as plastic shrink wrap. Now think about plastic shrink wrapping your motherboard. Seem foolish yet?

Hey thanks. I thought someone had made something new and awesome.

Thanks. I've learned alot. It wasn't something I was really planning on trying I was just curious about the theoretical possibility. If most oils are better thermal conductors why do most water cooling kits use some form of water based coolant?

Oil is thick. Water flows like .. water, oils doesn't. There might be more to it.

Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
james888 has it.

Flow is something completely different. Viscosity is a function of how well molecules within a fluid are allowed to slide past one another. More viscous fluids have a higher internal resistance to flow.

Viscosity does not imply thermal resistance, conductance, or capacitance.

Thermal resistance, conductance, and capacitance determine how a fluid transfers and stores heat energy.

To put us in the right frame of mind, here are a few examples. Thermal paste is a homogenized fluid. It has a very low resistivity, but tends to be immensely viscous. Water is a good conductor, but non-viscous. Silly putty is extremely viscous, but a poor conductor (yeah, I'm cheating with a non-newtonian fluid).

Oil is a general term. Hydrocarbons have a myriad array of building themselves. By choosing a hydrocarbon mix you can get very specific properties for whatever application you'd like.

Now, addressing the issue of why water is used in sealed coolers.

Plastics are functionally hydrocarbons. This means that exposure to oils may partially dissolve them over time. Choosing the right non-corrosive plastic and oil combination may not be ideal for heat transfer. Additionally, cost is an issue. The right oil may be twenty times more expensive than deionized water.

None of this even touches on the potential danger of leaking systems. An oil leaking could present the risk of fire damage, given the correct conditions. Water may damage systems, but a $1000 computer is preferable to a $100,000 home.

So in short, water prevails because it is more cost efficient and presents less inherent risk than oil.

Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
Now, addressing the issue of why water is used in sealed coolers.

Sealed like the h60/antec620/etc? Those all use a distilled water glycol solution. Not just water. I am not trying to say your wrong or anything, I just thought the glycol part is relevant to the discussion.

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
The hotter components like CPU, GPU and Chipset would need most likely need moving water to dissapate the heat... and of course if it's a closed system, some type of external radiator.

Processor 5930K
Motherboard MSI X99 SLI
Cooling WATER
Memory 16GB DDR4 2132
Video Card(s) EVGAY 2070 SUPER
Storage SEVERAL SSD"S
Display(s) Catleap/Yamakasi 2560X1440
Case D Frame MINI drilled out
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse DEATH ADDER
Keyboard Razer Black Widow Tournament
Software W10HB
Benchmark Scores PhIlLyChEeSeStEaK

because oil is thicker(Viscossity) and will burn out a pump in no time. Plus it would take for ever to pass through a Rad, oil is a better coolant under Certain Conditions (this not being one of them). We could split hairs all day about this........

OPPS Already covered, im on a small phone

Fully immersed cooling wouldn't be very practical. Although, computer guts in a fish tank with live fish.... Any takers??
Might be cool on an older rig where you can conformal coat the board and silicone up the slots and ports.
Also oil can be a better thermal conductor, but there is the viscosity issue and the cost. Most transformers that step down power line AC are oil filled, because the oil also increases the dielectric strength of the wire insulation/coating inside.
I've made boards "water resistant" before for TEC/peltier + Watercooling. I stripped the board down, taped off the slots,dies, sockets, and conformal coated it. I used silicone gel (spark plug boot goo) in the cpu and ram sockets. Worked even when covered with condensation.

Last edited:
System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro