• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

There is a review of the inland SSD

System Name Purple rain
Processor 10.5 thousand 4.2G 1.1v
Motherboard Zee 490 Aorus Elite
Cooling Noctua D15S
Memory 16GB 4133 CL16-16-16-31 Viper Steel
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
Storage SU900 128,8200Pro 1TB,850 Pro 512+256+256,860 Evo 500,XPG950 480, Skyhawk 2TB
Display(s) Acer XB241YU+Dell S2716DG
Case P600S Silent w. Alpenfohn wing boost 3 ARGBT+ fans
Audio Device(s) K612 Pro w. FiiO E10k DAC,W830BT wireless
Power Supply Superflower Leadex Gold 850W
Mouse G903 lightspeed+powerplay,G403 wireless + Steelseries DeX + Roccat rest
Keyboard HyperX Alloy SilverSpeed (w.HyperX wrist rest),Razer Deathstalker
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT
holy crap, this is on toshiba 64-layer bics.

Processor Intel i5 8400
Motherboard Asus Prime H370M-Plus/CSM
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken & Noctua NF-A15 HS-PWM chromax.black.swap
Memory 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ROG-STRIX-GTX1060-O6G-GAMING
Storage 1TB 980 Pro
Display(s) Samsung UN55KU6300F
Case Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 750w
Software W11 Pro
Unofficial word is 120GB and 240GB are the ones to own. Anything larger is not a wise purchase no matter what it looks like on paper. ;)

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
"DRAMless"

Didn't really have to read the rest of the review. It's cheap, but slow, but faster than a HDD.

"DRAMless"

Didn't really have to read the rest of the review. It's cheap, but slow, but faster than a HDD.

This SSD is slower than some of the fastest SATA SSDs in existence, what a shame really.
"A sports car is slower than some other sports cars on none speed limited roads, but its faster than a bicycle"

Read the review.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
This SSD is slower than some of the fastest SATA SSDs in existence, what a shame really.
"A sports car is slower than some other sports cars on none speed limited roads, but its faster than a bicycle"

Read the review.

Well its nice if you hate resonating HDDs in the case or havent got space for them.

That's about it.

"DRAMless" Didn't really have to read the rest of the review. It's cheap, but slow, but faster than a HDD.
Let's help you out a bit then;
Early in the development of DRAMless SSDs we were told the technology would decrease power consumption. DRAMless drives often deliver low idle consumption results but use more power to perform background activities. In our experience, the additional power required to keep the drive running optimally outweighs the reduction in idle power. The 480GB Inland SATA III SSD isn't a strong choice for use in a notebook as the primary storage drive.
Not an issue for desktop/workstation systems. And even if it's not ideal compared to other SSD's on the market, it's still better than a standard HDD.
Well its nice if you hate resonating HDDs in the case or havent got space for them. That's about it.
Are you deliberately being contrary here? The benchmarks show the drive, while not the best performing SSD out there(within a few percent), leaves standard HDD's in the dust. And that would be true even if it were performing at half it's tested speeds.

This is a good bargain. The only worry is the longevity of the drive. Still, Amazon is backing it so it has at least has some warranty.

Last edited:
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Let's help you out a bit then;

Not an issue for desktop/workstation systems. And even if it's not ideal compared to other SSD's on the market, it's still better than a standard HDD.

Are you deliberately being contrary here? The benchmarks show the drive, while not the best performing SSD out there(within a few percent), leaves standard HDD's in the dust. And that would be true even if it were performing at half it's tested speeds.

This is a good bargain. The only worry is the longevity of the drive. Still, Amazon is backing it so it at least has some warranty.

Well, the price is right and that's about it. The performance is NOT there where it matters, in random read it can be almost half as zippy as an MX500 for example and it also loses hard in low Queue Depths. Sequential is OK, but that is hardly relevant if you use this as an application disk.

Remember, if its too good to be true...

I also remember shaky controllers of the past like OCZ drives used to have and how they went down in history. Storage is still a product that relies heavily on endurance and reliability and the reason you get an SSD is to have that combined with speed. This drive has significantly less of all of that.

I mean this is even worse than half the performance of a decent SSD.
1531730111776.png

Now, compare that performance to the price gap of a mere 35 bucks and translate it to relative numbers. Suddenly doesn't look like that much of a bargain to me... You pay about 30% less for a drive that has over 60% less performance where it counts.
1531730278924.png

Last edited:
4K random reads as great to max out differences between drives, but have very little impact on modern systems. The 128K reads are what i would consider a good reflection of how an SSD these days will deal with something like loading a complex game, like lets say Star Citizen for example.

In reality, I could swap your MX500 with one of these in your sleep, and you may never know it ever happened.
Lets be fair here. 4K is not "where it counts". No modern program or game file-system is made out of hundreds or thousands or useless 4KB files.
This is coming from someone who went from SATA to fully fledged Optane based storage for system and some games.

The performance is NOT there where it matters, in random read it can be almost half as zippy as an MX500 for example and it also loses hard in low Queue Depths. Sequential is OK, but that is hardly relevant if you use this as an application disk.
That's not what the review testing shows, but let's pretend you're correct for a moment and review something said above;
leaves standard HDD's in the dust. And that would be true even if it were performing at half it's tested speeds.
Hmm.. So, inexpensive, performs within a few percent of premium SSD's and absolutely smokes HDD's. Not seeing the downside here. Also, you're comparing this drive to a drive nearly twice the price. Bringing that tidbit into the equation gives a better focus to the debate.
Storage is still a product that relies heavily on endurance and reliability and the reason you get an SSD is to have that combined with speed. This drive has significantly less of all of that.
Now the reliability is possibly a good point. However, Micro Center would not be marketing these drives as their in-house brand unless they were at least decently reliable. So there is that to consider.

Big picture viewpoint shows this drive to be a good value for those wanting a good performing, spacious SSD and yet be inexpensive.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
4K random reads as great to max out differences between drives, but have very little impact on modern systems. The 128K reads are what i would consider a good reflection of how an SSD these days will deal with something like loading a complex game, like lets say Star Citizen for example.

In reality, I could swap your MX500 with one of these in your sleep, and you may never know it ever happened.
Lets be fair here. 4K is not "where it counts".

There are also significant gaps in performance doing every day stuff like the game load test which lasts a full 3 seconds longer. That is noticeable - if I load a multiplayer map every fifteen minutes for example, that major gap with mechanical HDDs isn't all that major anymore.

When it comes to streamed data off this drive the 4K performance matters. And that is another purpose you'd have for cheap but faster storage, another purpose it doesn't really do all too well at.

So back to the original comment I made; its great if you want to or need to lose the HDD and not much more. This is not a performance drive. Its a silent and small one, with no reliability track record.

There are also significant gaps in performance doing every day stuff like the game load test which lasts a full 3 seconds longer.
3 seconds out of 17 total seconds compared to the MX500 at 14 seconds is not a huge difference, even if it's noticeable. That is to say nothing of standard HDD's which can be easily triple that time. That point is very much not an important one.
When it comes to streamed data off this drive the 4K performance matters. And that is another purpose you'd have for cheap but faster storage, another purpose it doesn't really do all too well at.
The benchmarks show it's 4k performance was not stellar, but it was still leaps and bounds better than a HDD. This drive is being marketed to HDD users as a upgrade that will easily eclipse a HDD at a similar price range.

So again you can imply that it isn't that great of an drive, but the facts don't bare that out. You are failing to see the big picture here.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
3 seconds out of 17 total seconds compared to the MX500 at 14 seconds is not a huge difference, even if it's noticeable. That is to say nothing of standard HDD's which can be easily triple that time. That point is very much not an important one.

The benchmarks show it's 4k performance was not stellar, but it was still leaps and bounds better than a HDD. This drive is being marketed to HDD users as a upgrade that will easily eclipse a HDD at a similar price range.

So again you can imply that it isn't that great of an drive, but the facts don't bare that out. You are failing to see the big picture here.

No I'm very aware of the big picture, refer again to the price gap versus the performance gap against other SSD's. I'm quite well on the money here with what I'm saying. The only difference being that you compare to an HDD and I compare to other SSDs. The price/GB however doesn't change and it is already quite close to that of an HDD, the difference that is left in price is much smaller than the difference you get in performance versus faster SSDs.

Do the math. Or let me help you

MX500 500GB: 109,99 / 500 = $0,21 / GB
Inland 480GB: 74,99 / 480 = $0,15 / GB

You save 25% per GB for at least 30% less performance, with situational performance losses of up to 66% if you are relying on 4K performance. On top of that, you have 2 years less warranty.

Running off to the store yet?

Last edited:
How is the steady state performance? I remember that the big problem with the Samsung 840 120 GB, that hardocp reported on, was that its steady state performance was utterly abysmal.

update: Here is the link.

Hugh Briggs said:
The MDX controllers do suffer some read speed degradation in steady state, but for the 120GB 840 this amount of degradation is terrible. This equates to the one strength of the 120GB 840, its read speed, being null and void after regular use.

The read speed of the 120GB Samsung 840 SSD also fell tremendously when we tested in steady state conditions. This removes the one advantage that the product has, making it more suited for sitting on the shelf than setting in your computer.

Last edited:
Do the math. Or let me help you
MX500 500GB: 109.99 / 500 = $0.21 / GB
Inland 480GB: 74.99 / 480 = $0.15 / GB
Oh I do beg your pardon, I was thinking of the MX300 price.
You save 25% per GB for at least 30% less performance, with situational performance losses of up to 66% if you are relying on 4K performance. On top of that, you have 2 years less warranty.
And if someone can't afford $109?
Running off to the store yet?
I've been buying these by the dozens as of late and they have a similar performance profile to the one reviewed above;
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076WX8JPH
They are affordable and perform well. Out of the 37 I've bought, not one has failed.
An additional 120GB for about $7? Yes please. So I might just buy a bunch of these Inland drives and try them out.

And to be fair, if I want ultra reliable, I'm going to go with an MX300, not an MX500.

Processor Intel i5 8400
Storage 1TB 980 Pro
Software W11 Pro
I sold my previous desktop with a brand spanking new one of these in it. New owner was beyond the moon how fast it was compared to what it replaced (probably IDE). $25 well spent and I came away knowing I under promised and over delivered. If you are flipping older budget machines capable of SATA III I'd say they are a very strong option.

Processor Intel i5 8400
Storage 1TB 980 Pro
Software W11 Pro
That I was since argumentativeness had well taken over and I had posted my thoughts on the 480GB.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

Read the review.

I read the review, my point was I didn't have to. Its not that I'm saying it is a bad drive, I'm just saying that is how DRAMless SSDs are, I expected it to be that way, and the review confirmed it.

When you start to look at things like PCMark8, with real world work loads, this drive start to show the shortcomings of DRAMless. They can't handle random access nearly as well, and the random access is what makes an SSD "feel" fast. You can have sequential read and write speeds that are near other SSD, but a common user is almost never writing/reading sequentially unless they are doing a file transfer. But, just like I said, they are still faster than HDDs.

But when you look at price, $73 is not out of this world amazing for a DRAMless SSD with a 3 year warranty. the Team Group L4 Lite and the Patriot Blast are both DRAMless using the same Phison S11 DRAMless controller, and their regular price is $79 and are routinely can be had on sale for $70-75.

When it comes down to it, DRAMless SSDs are just cheap, the inland is the cheapest right now but in a few weeks one of the others will take its place. And if you use a DRAMless SSD to replace a HDD in a normal persons computer, they are going to be amazed at how fast it is. But for most enthusiasts, they are going to be willing to spend the $20 more and grab a WD Blue which are selling on newegg for $94 right now.

Also, anyone saying these are "near HDD prices" if totally full of.... A 1TB 3.5" HDD is $43, and 500GB 2.5" HDD is $42, that's $30 less than the 480GB Inland SSD. These aren't close to HDD prices.

Last edited:
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Oh I do beg your pardon, I was thinking of the MX300 price.

And if someone can't afford $109?

I've been buying these by the dozens as of late and they have a similar performance profile to the one reviewed above;
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076WX8JPH
They are affordable and perform well. Out of the 37 I've bought, not one has failed.
An additional 120GB for about $7? Yes please. So I might just buy a bunch of these Inland drives and try them out.

And to be fair, if I want ultra reliable, I'm going to go with an MX300, not an MX500.

Never said it was a BAD buy. I'm saying its not the bargain people make it out to be and if you look at competition, that is confirmed. @newtekie1 also underlined that very well above me. Of course there is a segment where these are great HDD replacements, I never contested that ;)

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
Lets be fair here. 4K is not "where it counts". No modern program or game file-system is made out of hundreds or thousands or useless 4KB files.
I always thought that the 4K benchmarks are the numbers that most closely mirrors that of real world performance.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
I always thought that the 4K benchmarks are the numbers that most closely mirrors that of real world performance.
How many ~4KB files do you have on your system? Windows's DLLs are in the 10-20,000KB average size so....

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
How many ~4KB files do you have on your system? Windows's DLLs are in the 10-20,000KB average size so....
Yeah but most file systems have a cluster size of 4 KB. So the question is... when the system reads data in from the hard drive, or in this case... the SSD, does it read in the whole 4 KB cluster regardless of whether or not the whole 4 KB cluster is filled with relevant data? With 4 KB cluster sizes, the system reads all data in multiples of 4 KBs.

Or am I barking up the wrong tree here?

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Wake me up when 2TB SSDs come down to a reasonable enough price that I can replace my HDDs with them.