• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut scratching and denting.

Processor i7 8700K
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-A12x25 PWM + 4xNF-A14 PWM
Memory 16 GB Adata XPG Dazzle DDR4 3000 MHz CL16
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Gaming 8G
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus, Samsung 850 Evo
Display(s) Samsung C24FG73 144Hz 1080p
Case Fractal Design Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Steelseries Arctis 3
Power Supply Superflower Leadex II Gold 650W
Mouse Steelseries Rival 600
Keyboard Steelseries Apex 7
Software Windows 11 Pro
I would edit your post and send it to the OP via inbox. Im sure the rep wouldnt appreciate the tonne of spam he's going to get.
I thought about that too, but he posted it publicly himself here, plus it's a corporate email, so I guess he's fine with it.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Thats fine. Just trying to be respectful with someone elses contact details. I sure as hell wouldnt appreciate if my own contact details were leaked all over the internet. I cant imagine anyone else would.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
I love my overpriced kryonaut, but the moment i saw this thread title i knew it had to be about that bad batch

that rep may no longer work for TG, definitely use the contact options on their website and give them some time. For a known issue and proof you have a legit sample (the serial) you'll get a new tube at the very least.

System Name Main
Processor R7 5950x
Motherboard MSI x570S Unify-X Max
Cooling D5 clone, 280 rad, two F14 + three F12S bottom/intake, two P14S + F14S (Rad) + two F14 (top)
Memory 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance bdie 3600@CL16 1.35v
Video Card(s) GB 2080S WaterForce WB
Storage six M.2 pcie gen 4
Display(s) Sony 50X90J
Case Tt Level 20 HT
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar AE, modded Sennheiser HD 558, Klipsch 2.1 THX
Power Supply Corsair RMx 750w
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard GSKILL Ripjaws
VR HMD NA
Software win 10 pro x64
Benchmark Scores TimeSpy score Fire Strike Ultra SuperPosition CB20
@Massdeth
thats not how it works for any tech support. no, they dont consult a lawyer everytime the get a call/email.
its 5/10/50/xx ppl sitting in a call center like setting, or most likely outsourced to 3rd party.

its unacceptable to have to wait for long periods, and again shows they are not interested to help someone that spend money on one of their products,
and if a company doesnt respond at all, how are "you" supposed to win?
one thing i learned:
NO answer, IS an answer. learn your lesson, and switch brands...

@Massdeth
thats not how it works for any tech support. no, they dont consult a lawyer everytime the get a call/email.
its 5/10/50/xx ppl sitting in a call center like setting, or most likely outsourced to 3rd party.

its unacceptable to have to wait for long periods, and again shows they are not interested to help someone that spend money on one of their products,
and if a company doesnt respond at all, how are "you" supposed to win?
one thing i learned:
NO answer, IS an answer. learn your lesson, and switch brands...
Were not talking about your run of the mill complaint. This is a physical damage issue stemming from a previous acknowledged incident and has to be handled judiciously, in fact the reps may even have memo's that were sent that if anymore of these type complaints come in to do X,Y,Z. You get enough people involved you can escalate this to a bankruptcy if you so choose and find the people willing to push it and im sure the chiefs are well aware of it or at least had a long consult with there lawyers. Moves and counter moves.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
I love my overpriced kryonaut, but the moment i saw this thread title i knew it had to be about that bad batch

that rep may no longer work for TG, definitely use the contact options on their website and give them some time. For a known issue and proof you have a legit sample (the serial) you'll get a new tube at the very least.
I‘m just a bit shocked it’s still out there. I’ve /boughten at least 3 tube in the last year m all of em with the verification method n them as a direct reaction to the first incident

System Name Main
Processor R7 5950x
Cooling D5 clone, 280 rad, two F14 + three F12S bottom/intake, two P14S + F14S (Rad) + two F14 (top)
Display(s) Sony 50X90J
Case Tt Level 20 HT
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard GSKILL Ripjaws
VR HMD NA
Software win 10 pro x64
@massdeath
legal things/decisions are done on the top floor of a company, not by/at (tech) support.
just as some info, more than 80% of support does NOT work for the company they "represent" at work, and that includes big ones like
car manufacturers or companies like Amex, especially for online/phone stuff, email contact especially above tier 1, might be different.
and a few like amazon are the exception to the rule, but they do it to improve/speedup CS..

and telling someone to be patient, when a product doesnt match its spec/capabilities/etc, is a joke, we're not talking about a cold burger here.
for me it doesnt matter how much, if I spend MY money on something (no matter if its 1$ or 1000), it better perform as expected.
if not, i wont sit down and "chill" to say it mildly, until a company gets their act together.
and especially when it comes to a company being located in Germany, a country which is proud to label products "Made in..",
not "crap made in.."...

what do you think would anyone say, if they get an email/letter/call with following mssg:
Hi, sorry to hear you received a counterfeit product. please provide us with an address so we can ship you a genuine one..
(and depending on their insurance, replace both affected items, which probably cheaper than giving customer the purchase price).

reminds me why ppl always ask me why i spend so much more money on dji multi-rotors.
other companies: "pilot/user error" not covered by warranty/return policy.
dji: where do you want your replacement sent....
guess what company i will always buy/recommend

Last edited:
1. Kryonaut certainly has the best non-metal numbers .... the came out on top on every test I have read since it was released.

2. I do not have enough experience with Kryonaut t to comment on workability over time. We always used Shin Etsi G751 on CPUs (and half the price) but because of the multitude of surfaces to which it oft needs to be applied on GFX cards, found the extended workability of Gelid to be more suitable for that application. With Shin Etsu nor the same price as Kryonaut have been using that since Shin Etsu broke the $4 mark

3. If there were clumps in the tube, it would seem they would be seen or felt at the time of original application.

4. We have never had a laptop CPU that got anywhere near the temps comapared to what our desktop builds have hit.

5. We establish a baseline for every build on day 1 and try and revisit 1, 2 and 3 months later and every 6 months after that. Not seen many significant changes ... AS5 seems to improve after the 1st 1-2 month but haven't used in over 10 years. Not seen anything else change by more than 0.1 to 0.2C unless mount was disturbed during shipping, transport or a good bump. When removing heat sinks for whatever reason, never saw any damage or discoloring except w/ liquid metal type TIMs (Shin Etsu, Gelid, IC Diamond)

6. I find it odd that 1C temp difference between TIMs is "no big deal" when people will pay $40 - $100 more to get a cooler than gets 1C better than a $50 air cooler.

7. Understand that with the pandemic, many companies have cut staff or have folks working from home.

8. Above all, be resectful and patient, ... the person you are communicating with isnt responsible for the bad batch.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
and telling someone to be patient, when a product doesnt match its spec/capabilities/etc, is a joke, we're not talking about a cold burger here.
for me it doesnt matter how much, if I spend MY money on something (no matter if its 1$ or 1000), it better perform as expected.

Your mistake is that they only need to perform as ADVERTISED

Interesting. Just bought a tube of Kryonaut. Gonna try it out on an old socket 775 system that I'm upgrading a bit.

System Name ChronicleScienceWorkStation
Processor AMD Threadripper 1950X
Motherboard Asrock X399 Taichi
Cooling Noctua U14S-TR4
Memory G.Skill DDR4 3200 C14 16GB*4
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon VII
Storage Samsung 970 Pro*1, Kingston A2000 1TB*2 RAID 0, HGST 8TB*5 RAID 6
Case Lian Li PC-A75X
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Software Proxmox 6.2
I had similar experience a long time ago with GC-Extreme, on my NH-C14 and an intel CPU.
I didn't know the exact reason, but there maybe something in the paste that was rigid enough to make the scratch as the heatsink was being tightened to the end.

I have since switched to using NT-H1 and NH-H2 now, never had the same issue.
I found them to be more watery and probably do not contain those tiny rigid object that could cause a scratch.

Last edited:
Processor i7 8700K
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-A12x25 PWM + 4xNF-A14 PWM
Memory 16 GB Adata XPG Dazzle DDR4 3000 MHz CL16
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Gaming 8G
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus, Samsung 850 Evo
Display(s) Samsung C24FG73 144Hz 1080p
Case Fractal Design Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Steelseries Arctis 3
Power Supply Superflower Leadex II Gold 650W
Mouse Steelseries Rival 600
Keyboard Steelseries Apex 7
Software Windows 11 Pro
I had similar experience a long time ago with GC-Extreme, on my NH-C14 and an intel CPU.
I didn't know the exact reason, but there maybe something in the paste that was rigid enough to make the scratch as the heatsink was being tightened to the end.

I have since switched to using NT-H1 and NH-H2 now, never had the same issue.
I found them to be more watery and probably do not contain those tiny rigid object that could cause a scratch.
I've remained with NT-H1 myself, the tube that came "free" with my NH-D15S cooler will last for ages, hell, I still have MX2 and MX3 paste somewhere from what must be a decade now, never got to fully using it.

The scratching could be caused by zinc oxide fragments. The paste has to be ground up, der8auer mentioned they grind Kryonaut components "6 times longer"/"almost for a full day", which leads to increased manufacturing costs. Who knows what failed during their process. It would be interesting to know.

Chen

How long is the wait though? The quality of their responses does not match the amount that they are charging for a tube of paste, I am not asking them to solve this immediately but they could not even bother to send an update or something, just leaving me in the dark... which is very frustrating.

Chen

Were not talking about your run of the mill complaint. This is a physical damage issue stemming from a previous acknowledged incident and has to be handled judiciously, in fact the reps may even have memo's that were sent that if anymore of these type complaints come in to do X,Y,Z. You get enough people involved you can escalate this to a bankruptcy if you so choose and find the people willing to push it and im sure the chiefs are well aware of it or at least had a long consult with there lawyers. Moves and counter moves.

I understand what you are saying, but TG should at least let me know that they are currently working on the issue. What's happening now is that TG is not giving me any sort of response at all. The fact is that if TG is indeed trying to solve this issue, they will not be hesitant to let me know of their progress. If TG is trying to neglect this issue, then the most likely thing for them to do is to ignore my emails, which is what consumers are worried about.

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
Hi,
Not sure what they can say
It sure isn't the first time bad batches were put out and I'm sure there is still old stock out there.

Keoma07

I know it won't make any difference for them, but thanks to this thread, I just canceled my kryonaut order.

I just don't want to risk getting a bad tube and then be ignored by them.

I'm actually a bit torn between the mx4 and the Gelid Extreme right now. But I'm using the mx4 that came with the Liquid Freezer II and the temps are a bit on the high side, so I think I'm going to try gelid.

And in case a TG staff reads this, you do lose new customers with threads likes this (well, at least you lost one).

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
for me, i better have 1 degree higher that something that would scratch my hardware, and i feel if they want to sell something that more to higher level market they should be ready for more quality control or better handling if there's something like this

Chen

I know it won't make any difference for them, but thanks to this thread, I just canceled my kryonaut order.

I just don't want to risk getting a bad tube and then be ignored by them.

I'm actually a bit torn between the mx4 and the Gelid Extreme right now. But I'm using the mx4 that came with the Liquid Freezer II and the temps are a bit on the high side, so I think I'm going to try gelid.

And in case a TG staff reads this, you do lose new customers with threads likes this (well, at least you lost one).

I agree. I wouldn't risk getting Kryonaut or any TG product again. I would personally suggest Gelid GC Extreme or Kingpin KPx, they get about the same temp as kryonaut and cheaper and don't scratch your hardware. I am currently using GC extreme.

for me, i better have 1 degree higher that something that would scratch my hardware, and i feel if they want to sell something that more to higher level market they should be ready for more quality control or better handling if there's something like this

yeah, it's very frustrating, not even an email from TG support.... just leaving their customers in the dark. What a joke for a premium product!

LORDLODOSS

I apologize for reviving an old thread as my first post but just wanted to inform buyers that this does not seem to be a rare issue. Recently swapped my old B350 to X570 and noticed the copper on my Thermaltake AIO is pretty scratched up and more importantly pitted. Have been recommending it to all my friends due to its great performance but now I feel guilty for possibly damaging their components.

Chen

I apologize for reviving an old thread as my first post but just wanted to inform buyers that this does not seem to be a rare issue. Recently swapped my old B350 to X570 and noticed the copper on my Thermaltake AIO is pretty scratched up and more importantly pitted. Have been recommending it to all my friends due to its great performance but now I feel guilty for possibly damaging their components.
I heard kryonaut from derbauer. The product is good but the company has no morals, simply ignoring all the support messages I sent.

rdwing

Did you ever get a reply? I have a tube from the bad batch back in 2018, I didn't realize just how bad it was until I used it on my new Zen 3 build. It's shockingly abrasive.
I reached out to TG on 1/29 and after 2 emails back and forth where they requested photos and I provided them, they've just ignored me. I've followed up weekly but just nothing. Super super unprofessional.

System Name Main
Processor R7 5950x
Display(s) Sony 50X90J
Case Tt Level 20 HT
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard GSKILL Ripjaws
VR HMD NA
Software win 10 pro x64
i got tired of pulling cpu out of the socket, forgetting i used LM,
when Arctic put out the MX5.

Seems to be exactly what i was looking for (consistency/not getting "repelled" by residue on HS),
and gets close enough in performance that i wont bother with the extreme stuff.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
i got tired of pulling cpu out of the socket, forgetting i used LM,
when Arctic put out the MX5.

Seems to be exactly what i was looking for (consistency/not getting "repelled" by residue on HS),
and gets close enough in performance that i wont bother with the extreme stuff.
I use a piece of masking tape hidden near the CPU socket for things like that

"LM"
"broken pins in socket DO NOT REMOVE"
"Bodies buried behind the apple tree"