1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

thermal paste and my p2 940..

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by exodusprime1337, Feb 7, 2009.

1. exodusprime1337

exodusprime1337

Thanks Received:
    i'm wondering i've never had a quad, this is my frist one, but i'm wondering how i should be spreading the thermal paste. I'm using as5 as of right now, just bought a new tube and figured i'd play around with it.

how should i apply it to the cpu and then mount my thermalright ultra 120 extreme.

also the thermalright is lapped with 2500grit, it's perfectly flat no burs or curve around the edges.

2. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Phenom is native quad core so the blob in the center meathod works. however I always spread it out evenly with a sandwich bag, no matter what it is I'm applying TIM to

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    dab of AS5 in the center of the proc, about 1/8"x1/8"x1/8" then sandwich with the cooler. AS5 works well with conservative application.

4. Flyordie

Flyordie New Member

Thanks Received:
    I used Arctic Silver Ceramique, its kinda hard to work with but you can drench your board in that stuff and it not give one bit of a care which is why I use it over any other.

Anyway... I just grab me a credit card, TP or lint free cloth whichever you prefer... and take a little drop of the ASC and put it where the CPU would be on the Heatsink... I would then smear it around with your finger (if it is protected by say, a latex glove or somthing, don't want oil in there...) then rub that off, as you can see the little pores of the heatsink are now filled with little pieces of Ceramique... now you take a bit more and smear it on the CPU, using the credit card to even it out.. make sure there is a little bit of a mound in the center since some IHS's tend to "dip" making a void... then you slap on the HSF and voila.

Flyordie

5. exodusprime1337

exodusprime1337

Thanks Received:
    cool thanx guys