• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Thermal Throttling even after under volting my Lenovo Legion Y520-15IKBN Laptop with an i7-7700HQ with 16gb ram and a gtx 1050 4gb.

Clout_

I have an i7-7700HQ and I have undervolted it as you can see in the screenshots attached. My laptop goes to a maximum of 50-52 degrees celsius when doing anything other than gaming but once i start gaming and set the fps limit to 120, after 10-15 minutes, the cpu temperature hits 100 degrees and I start throttling and it doesn't stop until I cap my fps to 60 again. Normally after setting the limit to 60 fps, it is stable but sometimes it throttles again. Can anyone tell me if this is because of a wrong setting in throttlestop or is it related to hardware like my cooling and/or heatsink system because playing at a max of 60 fps and sometimes throttling is annoying when my laptop is capable of playing games at 100-120 fps. Also, in the limits tab, I sometimes have the yellow pl1 and EDP other error.
Screenshot (5).png
Screenshot (3).png
Screenshot (4).png
Screenshot (6).png

Proside

Hey man. I have the same lenovo legion y520 laptop rn with the same specs except mine is 8gb ram and 1050ti 4gb 1tb hdd. i'm having the exact same issues. when i go into a game in gta fortnite or call of duty, cpu goes to 100c degrees which causes a lot of fps stutters. i'm going to try to undervolt my cpu rn, but i think the best solution is to change the thermal paste. Just take your laptop to a close tech store and tell them to change your thermal paste, or you could do it yourself but i dont recommend it because it's risky. If you want to talk to me more, you can contact me on discord : Proside#1744

Best of luck :love:

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
Well I wouldn't put to much faith in the thermal paste. Even if you change it the temp will not drop 10 degrees or so and you hit your limit. I understand the fan is spinning and ramping up when the temps gets higher? Why would you cap the FPS at 120? This laptop doesn't have high refresh rate screen does it? Unless you play on an external monitor?

Proside

Well I wouldn't put to much faith in the thermal paste. Even if you change it the temp will not drop 10 degrees or so and you hit your limit. I understand the fan is spinning and ramping up when the temps gets higher? Why would you cap the FPS at 120? This laptop doesn't have high refresh rate screen does it? Unless you play on an external monitor?

I try to play cod warzone on 60fps but i get so much fps stutters and im pretty sure its cus of cpu thermal throttling. And plus when i just got my laptop, on fortnite i would run smooth 100fps, but now i get sooo much fps stutters. I still think its thermal paste

I know this sounds like a nasty answer. But I wonder about your posts because 100 threads have the same problems. Disable and lock turbo power limits, iccmax all the way to right. iGPU and GPU has to be the same. And put back your default turbo ratio limits. Remove speedstep x. I wonder how good a wife uncleweb has at being able to answer years of other same questions.

Just a noob offtopic question- what exactly is the iccmax (it should be max current drawn for the chip, probably) and isn't it dangerous to max it up beyond the chip's limit? Wouldn't it cause physical damage.

Just a noob offtopic question- what exactly is the iccmax (it should be max current drawn for the chip, probably) and isn't it dangerous to max it up beyond the chip's limit? Wouldn't it cause physical damage.
Just dont ask and but it max. You can also google throttlestop iccmax.

I've googled it prior asking, but couldn't find much. Is it safe? Is it OK to leave it like that. Should I max it up for both Cache and Core? I'm hesitant when I don't understand something good enough ;)

A. When was the least time you cleaned out the heat sing fins and fan blades ?

B. Did you take base readings on day 1, and compare temps over time ?

In the future, if would recommend that if you you want to avoid power and thermal issues, recognize that ...

1. High Performance is curtailed by tag words such as "thin" and "light"
2. Tag words like "thin" and "light" are warnings for "likely to run warm to hot'
3. Most laptop brands you'd recognize do not actually make a laptop

Quanta makes (among others) HP, Lenovo, Apple, Acer, Dell, NEC, and Fujitsu
Compal makes (among others) Acer, Dell, Lenovo and HP
Wistron makes Dell, Acer, Lenovo and HP
Inventec makes HP, Dell and Lenovo;
Pegatron makes Asus, Apple, Dell, Acer and Microsoft
Foxconn makes Asus, Dell, HP and Apple
Flextronics makes HP

We finally got so fed up with experiences like yours that, around 15 years ago, we have all out lappies custom built. Costs less, better support ... and i can run Furmark / Real Bench w/o undervolting.

No location in your profile or I'd point you to a Clevo distributor in your area. You can also specify which TIM used on these builds.

Starting out with an "as new" baseline helps in troubleshooting things down the line. I'd recommend raising the back of your lappie up off the desk and cleaning the dust, cat hair and cookie crumbs out every 3 - 6 months. Id also research if your laptop has a hidden key combo that lets you set fans to 100% with a key combo.

Arkanon

Might be a Thermal Paste issue. They don't do a stellar job from factory, i can tell that much.
Heatpipes between GPU and CPU are also shared, which doesn't help either.
I have the same model with 1060 Max Q. Only after switching paste to liquid metal on both gpu and cpu, undervolting and a custom curve in msi afterburner the laptop started running to my satisfaction.
Haven't seen CPU temps go past 75°c while gaming. GPU with custom curve ( 1500 ish MHz) doesn't hit above 55°c
-130mv on the CPU
Added screenshot is after playing Forza Horizon 4 for a good amount of time

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    381.5 KB · Views: 424