• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Thermaltake America Launches FreeUp Program

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
The process and anticipation of upgrading to the latest processor has always been some of the most exciting times for every PC enthusiast. But along with the excitement, users are often faced with various decisions such as which motherboard to get, is a memory upgrade needed or will a new CPU cooler have to be purchased? While Thermaltake cannot make most of those decisions for you, if you currently own or are planning to purchase any of the following Thermaltake performance coolers listed below, you will be in good hands. In order to better serve our customers, Thermaltake is proud to announce the Thermaltake FreeUp Program.

The upcoming Intel Sandy Bridge-E processors will be based on socket LGA-2011 as evident from the recent Intel Developer Forum (IDF) conference. Thermaltake is here to ensure that our current and future customers of Thermaltake cooling solutions will have access to the newest technology without the hassle of trying to mock up new mounting or purchasing a new cooler entirely. The LGA-2011 upgrade mounting hardware will be provided free of charge to anyone who has purchased a qualified cooler on or after September 1st 2011. Thermaltake will be incorporating the new LGA-2011 kit into all LGA-2011 compatible coolers in both retail and e-tail space once the Intel Sandy Bridge-E processor launch is confirmed, but this program is to ensure that anyone who supports Thermaltake brands by choosing the qualified cooler as their solution will have the LGA 2011 mounting available to them when they make their purchase or in the case that the cooler may have been in store before the changeover. Thermaltake wants to ensure you can upgrade and use your recently purchased cooler with no worries about future compatibility.

For those who have purchased a LGA 2011 qualified coolers prior to September 1st, 2011 and are planning on upgrading, Thermaltake will also be making the LGA-2011 kit available for purchase separately. This will ensure that no matter the timeframe, anyone can upgrade to the newest platform with a minimum amount of hassle.

Among various physical attribute changes, the most notable difference is that there are no "pass-through" holes for the mounting mechanism. On the LGA-1155/1156 and LGA-1366 motherboard, the mounting retention would pass through the motherboard and be retained by either plastic push pins or a variation of backplate and mounting screw combination depending upon the cooler used. With the LGA-2011 socket, the main load mechanism to retain the CPU in the socket also has threaded tabs which are where the cooler will be mounted. This will require a change to present cooler mounting for compatibility and Thermaltake has a solution to ensure you can upgrade to this socket with just a minor hardware change.

Intel LGA-2011 compatible coolers:
  • Thermaltake Bigwater 760 Plus
  • Thermaltake Frio OCK
  • Thermaltake Frio
  • Thermaltake Contac 30
To claim your free LGA-2011 mounting upgrade kit:
  • To apply, please visit this page
  • Submit required information to claim your mounting hardware kit
Terms and Conditions for the Thermaltake FreeUp Program:
  • FreeUp product will be shipped shortly after launch of the LGA 2011 processor
  • FreeUp eligibility requires proof of purchase of:
    a. Qualified Thermaltake LGA 2011 compatible cooling solution
    b. LGA-2011 compatible motherboard or processor
  • FreeUp product can take up to 2 weeks for shipping depending upon location
  • Qualified Thermaltake product must be purchased on or after September 1st 2011 to qualify for the FreeUp program
  • The Thermaltake FreeUp Program is only available for customers in North America.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
The Thermaltake FreeUp Program is only available for customers in North America.

Get lost, thermaltake. This is a superficial imitation of Noctua's initiative, with very narrow terms and conditions.
  • It is applicable to very few coolers in Thermaltake's lineup
  • Only for North America
  • Thermaltake product must be purchased on or after September 1st 2011 to qualify for the FreeUp program (wtf?)
It betrays a bad intent, that the "free LGA2011 upgrade" plank is being used purely for larger brand-cleanup.

Noctua's free LGA2011 upgrade is available for customers even in Afghanistan and North Korea, and covers virtually all Noctua cooler models, and you can have a Noctua cooler you purchased way back in 2006 and still avail its free upgrade. Match this or gtfo (don't come up with a phony "free upgrade" program).

Last edited:
System Name Dust Collector
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
Motherboard Asus B550I Aorus Pro WiFi AX
Cooling Alpenfohn Black Ridge V2 w/ Noctua NF-A9x14
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3200MHz/CL16
Video Card(s) Power Color Red Dragon RX 5700 XT
Storage Samsung EVO+ 500GB NVMe
Display(s) Dell S2721DGF
Case Dan Case A4
Power Supply Corsair SF600 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Logitech G613
So... they're essentially trying to get people to buy their coolers under the assumption that they will provide "free" mounting hardware so long as the user goes through what I assume will be a long and tedious process. The only party benefiting from this is Tt since this buys them time to make revisions to existing products to include the mounting gear, and allows retailers to clear up stock while they do it. Tt should man up and offer the hardware to all compatible coolers regardless of purchase date. Maybe then I'll give them a bit of respect.

System Name Obelisc
Processor i7 3770k @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling H110
Memory 16GB(4x4) @ 2400 MHz 9-11-11-31
Video Card(s) GTX 780 Ti
Storage 850 EVO 1TB, 2x 5TB Toshiba
Case T81
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply EVGA 850 T2 80+ TITANIUM
Software Win10 64bit
Wait so installing backplates is no longer necessary for 2011? That should make changing coolers a breeze.

System Name beast
Processor 3930K
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3
Cooling Noctua NH-U12P SE2011
Memory 16GB Kingston Value DDR3 1333Mhz CL9
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aorus Elite RTX3060 12GB
Storage 1x 120GB Intel 520 and some spinny bois
Display(s) 3x DELL S2721DGF
Case Antec P182
Power Supply Corsair 750w
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10
Couldn't have said it any better btarunr

Athlon2K15

HyperVtX™
Processor Intel Core i9 11900K
Motherboard MSI Z590 Carbon EK X
Cooling Custom Water
Memory Team DDR4 4000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 3080 OC
Storage WD WN850 1TB
Display(s) 43" LG NanoCell 4K 120Hz
Power Supply Asus Thor 1200w
Mouse Asus Strix Evolve
Keyboard Asus Strix Claymore
The problem is thermaltake never used a consistent mounting for their coolers so for them to supply the bracket for all of their coolers would be a massive undertaking,Noctua on the other hand has used the same securefirm mounting system since day one so it takes one design to be compatible with all coolers

System Name Money Hole
Processor Core i7 970
Motherboard Asus P6T6 WS Revolution
Cooling Noctua UH-D14
Memory 2133Mhz 12GB (3x4GB) Mushkin 998991
Video Card(s) Sapphire Tri-X OC R9 290X
Storage Samsung 1TB 850 Evo
Display(s) 3x Acer KG240A 144hz
Case CM HAF 932
Audio Device(s) ADI (onboard)
Power Supply Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050w
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
The free bracket from Noctua is really a reason why I would consider getting another one if I needed to.

I thought TT was doing the same thing until I read the first post. Too sad really.

Tt Shannon

Thermaltake Rep
System Name Work computer
Processor i7 5960X
Motherboard Rampage V Extreme
Cooling Custom Tt Liquid cooling
Memory 128GB Crucial Ballistix 2400MHz
Video Card(s) TITAN X 3x SLI
Storage 1.2TB NVME SSD /24TB SSD (Storage)
Display(s) 4x 27" ASUS SWIFT
Case Tt Premium W100
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower DPS G RGB 1250W Titanium
Software Win 7 Ultimate x64
Hello,

Thank you for your feedback.

The reason we launched this program was to ensure our customers had support for the newest socket as many of the enthusiasts such as yourselves will be upgrading to the LGA2011 platform.

I am removing the date requirement in order to better assist all of you.

The reason specific models are listed is that LGA2011 is the Enthusiast platform and therefore will likely be overclocked and have much higher thermals, therefore we want to ensure that the coolers designed to handle such loads are qualified for LGA2011.

Thank you
Tt Enthusiasts