1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

THG: Geil sending primo memory to reviewers

Discussion in 'News' started by Sandman, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Sandman New Member

Thanks Received:
    THG is reporting that geil shipped reviewers memory modules far faster than their retails units, claiming them to be standard retail sticks. Comparing a review unit to a retail module, THG found that the retail DDR2-667 module overclocked to 421MHz, while the review unit went up to 471, almost 12 percent higher.

Geil denied the claim, stating that the overclockability of their memory varies from batch to batch. Still, THG says that the difference should have been closer to 2 or 3 percent, since the chips are speed binned and should have made it into a higher rated category.

Source: DailyTech

Last edited: Apr 13, 2006
    10 Year Member at TPU
  2. oldschool New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nothing new here other than Geil getting caught sending memory to Tom's that overclocks far better than what any normal consumer can buy. Geil was exposed for their deception but virtually all hardware companies are guilty of supplying hand picked products to get favorable reviews.

How many defective Asus mobos have been purchased as a result of exceptional online reviews that fail to report the board's defects? If I had a dollar for every product that didn't perform as advertised, I'd be as rich as Bill Gates. And speaking of defective products, ever seen a version of Windows that was secure or that had less than 10,000 known defects? No, I didn't think so.

Carry on.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    umm one retail pair is hardly proof of anything vs the review batch. that'd be like getting a 4000 sandiego that olny overclocks to 2.5GHZ and saying that amd ships better cpu's to reviewers cause the review one went to 2.9GHZ. lol
    batches matter, dates matter, environments matter, boards matter, and cpu core's matter to memory overclocks.

thats the whole reason we say never buya set of memory because a freind got it to 600MHZ and expect to hit the same speed ont he same settings. 2-3% where'd they get that number? their but+? I mean seriously I've seen plenty of venice core 3000's run at 2.7GHZ on stock cooling, that doesn't mean every chip will do it. lol

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. Satchmo New Member

Thanks Received:
    of course not, no 2 sticks will be exactly alike. and conditions around your home will differ even from room to room nevertheless from state to state.

dust, room temp, the amount of static electricity youre carrying, humidity, uh........room temp.

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    For crying out loud - they sell DDR2-667 memory off the shelf that runs at DDR2-842... and the sample they gave THG runs even faster. Are they "cheating"?... perhaps but still damn good numbers both ways. Disclaimer - I'm a huge Geil fan! :toast:

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. Sandman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Guys, the whole point of this is not that the review sticks ran faster that the retail. The point is that a review product (which is meant to give you an idea of how the retail product runs) ran *so* much faster, it should have gotten binned and sold as a higher rated product. This was more than just a "batch to batch" variance.

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    10 Year Member at TPU