• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

things games need

System Name MUFFIN_MACHINE
Processor i7 920
Motherboard E760 Classified
Cooling cooler master gemini II
Memory 6gb ddr3 crucial ballistix
Video Card(s) TFIII 6950
Storage 500gb wd, samsung spinpoint t series 500gb, 2 tb samsung somthing or other
Display(s) syncmaster 940bw 19"
Case Corsair Carbide Series 500R
Audio Device(s) X-fi extrememusic
Power Supply Corsair HX 850W
Software windows 7 64bit
Benchmark Scores i can drink a pint in 5 seconds flat.
i found this small list of things modern games need and i found these to be true

Modern Saving

We are no longer limited by the space constraints of yore. Every game should have a quicksave (a save that can be done at any point, quits the game right after the save is complete and deletes itself when loaded). Every game should also have a sensible saving system. Losing progress when you feel like it’s unwarranted is one of the most frustrating player experiences.

So what is meant by a “sensible saving system”? Let me use Mass Effect as an example of a nonsensical saving system. Mass Effect uses a hybrid autosave/player save system. The player can save whenever they are not in combat but the game will automatically save at certain checkpoints. Time after time I’ve heard players say things like, “I lost twenty minutes of progress because I assumed it would save when I went into that building”. Unfortunately the game does not let the player save during combat, and does not necessarily autosave for them before major encounters.

Since there was an autosave players tended to rely on it, unfortunately it wasn’t always reliable. If you are going to include some form of check pointing or autosave system it’s got to be good enough that the player never has to save for themselves. This does not preclude a hybrid system: it just means that player saves should feel like a feature not a necessity.

Moreover, highly functional autosave systems should become the norm. Saving is a chore the player should not have to perform unless they want to. Autosave systems should retain the last few autosaves so that the player can roll back if they want to so that the player never has to worry about getting stuck. Strict autosave systems also have the added benefit of allowing the designers greater control over how badly the player is punished for failure...

But, no matter what saving system you employ the player should never feel as though they were cheated out of progress.

Knowing what the f’k I’m doing

A player should be able to put down a game for a period of months at a time and still be able to hop right back in. Anything else is self-defeating and counter-productive.

We’ve made huge strides in this area over the last several years. MMOs began to refine the “journaling system” or quest log as a necessity but console titles have recently picked up where they left off. Here’s a place where I can thoroughly praise Mass Effect. I encourage you to look at its journal system.

Is there more that can be done? Of course. We can do everything from including video recaps in our journals to creating logical naming conventions for player saves. I still see too many games where all the saves simply label themselves by the hours played instead of where the player was or what they were doing.

What specifically should be done will be very game specific but the player should always have access to the information that will tell them just what they are doing and why. This is one of the hardest things to achieve on this list, but it is also one of the most important.

Stay tuned next time for the final five. It will include in game manuals, meaningful loading screens and more...!

the other ones can be found at this link
http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=9875&Itemid=59

so what else do you guys think is lacking in many games these days?
note: please dont say graphics

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
i totally agree i hate picking up FF games and being like WTF am i doing? Morrowinds journalism system was a step in the right direction but was very loose in some areas...for example if you completed a quest unless you had another one going than the journal said nothing more..as you wont get another quest unless you talk to someone who will give you the last part...and of course it wouldnt tell you which means if you boot the game after 3 months of not p[laying you are in a wolrd of WTF am i doing?...and please dont say dont play it for 3 months oblivion is better and almost exactly like morrowind in the fact that the games span is absolutely huge..finishing morrowind in one sitting will resualt in physical player death...

the only game that i think has totally hit the nail on the head in your first part is crysis...it saves at auto check points and allows you to save whenever you want even in combat i can save getting a rocket shot at me or save while jumping off a cliff and i can creat a new one effectively giving me a list of the past like 200 saves incase i screwed up or think theirs a better way of handeling something.

GJSNeptune

Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Black Edition
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 (with Scythe SFF21E)
Memory 2x1GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CAS4 DHX
Video Card(s) PALiT 9800GTX 512MB PCI-E
Storage WD2500AAKS, WD1600YS, WD1200JD, WD400EB
Display(s) LG L1920P, Viewsonic VA520
Case Lian-Li A05b (with two 120mm Yate Loon D12SM)
Power Supply Corsair HX520
Software Vista Business 32-bit/XP Pro 32-bit dual-boot
So you want strictly linear games? Why are you putting a game down for months if you haven't beaten it? That's not the nature of a true gamer.

System Name Becca 2
Processor AMD A10 4600m quad core @ 2.3 ghz
Motherboard dunno
Cooling Logitech alto connect
Memory 16 Gig ddr3 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Ati HD 7660G + & 7470M
Storage 1 TB
Audio Device(s) onboard crap
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit with sp1
Autosave systems should definitly become the norm one of the worst offenders for bad saving was the destroy all humans game where yad have to finish a level to save. If ya died thru the level youd have to go to start and do it all again pure unadultirated madness.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
no i dont want stricktly linear games...i want to be able to do w/e quest i want and they provide that however they dont tell you what needs to be done next in that quest line..in my opinion changing that so it does does not make it non linear it simply makes it so its easier to pick back up......and you have a very flawed version of non true gamer...because i think im rpetty extreme. for example dropping morrowind when i got oblivion to play it non stop for months....ya no life and that would probably be the reason i didnt play morrowind nice try though..

o and on a side note i seriously doubt youve beaten oblivion have you talked to the thousands upon thousands of ppl in the game and completed all the side quests not just the main.....that would take years....i cant take a break to bplay crysis all the way through...i dont think you know me as a gamer...i can rarely put a gome down...but i get i touch with reality when ppl said oblivion was almost impossable to beat with the amount of depth to the game..

GJSNeptune

Haven't played Oblivion.

Processor Core I5 4440 / 4430
Motherboard Asus z87-k / Gigabyte ga h97- d3h
Cooling Arctic freezer / Generic
Memory 8 gb Mushkin / Various
Video Card(s) Radeon 7850 cf / Gtx 690
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 gb / 2x1 terabyte hdds Wd 256 gb nvme
Display(s) Technika 32" / Asus 24` ips
Case Corsair
Audio Device(s) X-fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair 850 w
Software Windows 10
Good article

:cool::cool:

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Haven't played Oblivion.

OB is worth playing even today but to me they made it hell loads easier than Morrowind.

I have to agree with your post you made to.

What bugs me with games is that they make most of them to simple to be able to give better graphics.

For a example Ghost Recon not the biggest maps but had much more freedom than GRAW 1 and 2. NWN2 was another storys not to bad but the area of freedom is much less than NWN and did not require loads of downloading as the modules are much smaller.

There needs a good balance as i like good graphics but i all so like freedom and story.

Arma gives you that freedom ( 50KM ) maps but story is lacking but small downloadable missing and to be able make your own and play with friends makes it great in my eye's.

Bioshock near had what i am after it even got away with being strange?. BUT had exceptable graphics and a little twist in the story. BUT best story i heard in a game has to be Deus Ex.

Good story
Freedom
Graphics

OB near had this story was not the greatest but the other like Graphic and freedom made this game.

jbunch07

Processor i5-2500k
Motherboard ASRock z68 pro3-m
Cooling Corsair A70
Memory Kingston HyperX 8GB 2 x 4GB 1600mhz
Storage OCZ Agility3 60GB(boot) 2x320GB Raid0(storage)
Display(s) Samsung 24" 1920x1200
Case Custom
Power Supply PC Power and Cooling 750w
Software Win 7 x64
thats one thing i didnt like about doom3 if u saved it and came back to play it a day or 2 later you where like ok wtf was i doing? and end up backtracking or something and going completely the wrong way...

GJSNeptune

I bought FFVII a couple years ago during my senior year in college for nostalgic kicks. I got to the third disc and got a little tired of it. I came back a few weeks later and I forgot what I was going after. The third disc is completely open. You can go fight the end boss, or you can do quests and get better weapons.

But I like openness. I like to explore.

ShadowFold

System Name The ShadowFold Draconis (Ordering soon)
Processor AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2.8ghz
Motherboard ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD 870
Cooling Stock
Memory Kingston ValueRAM 4GB DDR3-1333
Video Card(s) XFX ATi Radeon HD 5850 1gb
Storage Western Digital 640gb
Display(s) Acer 21.5" 5ms Full HD 1920x1080P
Case Antec Nine-Hundred
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Creative "Fatal1ty" Headset
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts 650w
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Benchmark Scores -❶-❸-❸-❼-
1. Games need to be longer and have amazing story lines. Half-Life 2, Never-Winter Nights, Warcraft are some examples. I love when I play a game and it just feels epic and never ending. Good never ending games are Neverwinter and Oblivion even tho Oblivions story was meh, I thought it was kinda cool at the time.

2. Games need epic and huge landscapes that almost never repeat. With some mods Oblivion achieves this and so does neverwinter on some levels. World of Warcraft's map is huge and all the areas differ from each other. Imagine a single player game with a really long story in a map thats the size of Azeroth!

3. Optimization is really something devs need to work on. A good example of an optimized game is Half-Life 2, I can run it maxed on a Pentium 4 1.6ghz and a 6150Onboard. Crysis on the other hand runs like crap on even the highest end of machines unless you get some optimizers from a 3rd party which is pretty pathetic.

jbunch07

Processor i5-2500k
Motherboard ASRock z68 pro3-m
Cooling Corsair A70
Memory Kingston HyperX 8GB 2 x 4GB 1600mhz
Storage OCZ Agility3 60GB(boot) 2x320GB Raid0(storage)
Display(s) Samsung 24" 1920x1200
Case Custom
Power Supply PC Power and Cooling 750w
Software Win 7 x64
1. Games need to be longer and have amazing story lines. Half-Life 2, Never-Winter Nights, Warcraft are some examples. I love when I play a game and it just feels epic and never ending. Good never ending games are Neverwinter and Oblivion even tho Oblivions story was meh, I thought it was kinda cool at the time.

2. Games need epic and huge landscapes that almost never repeat. With some mods Oblivion achieves this and so does neverwinter on some levels. World of Warcraft's map is huge and all the areas differ from each other. Imagine a single player game with a really long story in a map thats the size of Azeroth!

3. Optimization is really something devs need to work on. A good example of an optimized game is Half-Life 2, I can run it maxed on a Pentium 4 1.6ghz and a 6150Onboard. Crysis on the other hand runs like crap on even the highest end of machines unless you get some optimizers from a 3rd party which is pretty pathetic.

i agree i think fps games should have really f'in big worlds that they let you explore and do stupid stuff in...like gta games had pretty big worlds that you could just rome and do whatever...or racing games that had free rome where awesome like midnight club and nfs

edit: also agree with games being longer...fps games are way to short imo...especially crysis...

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11

dude mad respect for another lover of NWN i have both 1 and 2 and those are my fav rpg of all time no doubt

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Pro Wifi II
Cooling Hyper 212 EVO v2
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR4-4000
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6750 XT
Storage WD Black SN850 2TB, various other SSD's from ages past
Display(s) LG 27GL850 1440@144, AG Neovo EM2701QC 1440@75
Case Zophos EVO Silent by Raijintek
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud II Wireless headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse ProtoArc EM01
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow X Chroma Mercury
Software Windows 11 Pro
I'd like to see more "leveling" aspects in FPS games. A lot of them touch on it slightly with upgrade systems. Advent Rising (XBOX), was a game that I picked up for 5$ at a local game shop. Excellent game once you get used to it, has a lot of weapons that level as you use them, and the main character develops powers that grow stronger throughout the game as well. Its an action-adventure game that plays a lot like an FPS, minus the first person. Not enough to be called an RPG, and still very linear. I think the closer they can get to developing hybrid games that flow smoothly, the better. You can actually find it on Steam these days.

It was one of the few games over the past couple years that really dove into alternative play styles. Reviewers put it between 50-83 out of 100, which just screams to me that it's too different to base much off it. Try comparing it to other games, and you fail. Look at it for what it is, and it's very playable and enjoyable. You could probably run straight through it in 10-15 hours, but the ability to level up your powers and weapons will stretch that out to 20-25 like it did for me. Bosses are difficult, until you figure out the "trick" to defeating them. Its something that has irritated me over the years, you should always be able to brute force an enemy to the ground, imo. Voice acting is very VERY good, refreshing considering the vast amount of games that just suck it out.

If you have Steam, or can find it laying around, pick it up. There's plenty to be enjoyed.

System Name MSI apache ge62 2qd
Processor intel i7 5700HQ
Memory 12 Gb
Video Card(s) GTX960m
Storage 1TB
Display(s) Dell 24'
Main part Fun Game-Play like in Serious Sam 2 and the ability to many different attacks giving many combo's. Any one played LF2 its a 2-D game but what makes it special is One can customise the charecters oneself in MSPaint itself.
Games also need to work on all platforms and with PC on all OS'es.

Processor i7 920
Video Card(s) TFIII 6950
Storage 500gb wd, samsung spinpoint t series 500gb, 2 tb samsung somthing or other
Software windows 7 64bit
I'd like to see more "leveling" aspects in FPS games. A lot of them touch on it slightly with upgrade systems. Advent Rising (XBOX), was a game that I picked up for 5$ at a local game shop. Excellent game once you get used to it, has a lot of weapons that level as you use them, and the main character develops powers that grow stronger throughout the game as well. Its an action-adventure game that plays a lot like an FPS, minus the first person. Not enough to be called an RPG, and still very linear. I think the closer they can get to developing hybrid games that flow smoothly, the better. You can actually find it on Steam these days.

It was one of the few games over the past couple years that really dove into alternative play styles. Reviewers put it between 50-83 out of 100, which just screams to me that it's too different to base much off it. Try comparing it to other games, and you fail. Look at it for what it is, and it's very playable and enjoyable. You could probably run straight through it in 10-15 hours, but the ability to level up your powers and weapons will stretch that out to 20-25 like it did for me. Bosses are difficult, until you figure out the "trick" to defeating them. Its something that has irritated me over the years, you should always be able to brute force an enemy to the ground, imo. Voice acting is very VERY good, refreshing considering the vast amount of games that just suck it out.

If you have Steam, or can find it laying around, pick it up. There's plenty to be enjoyed.

i have to agree i really liked the game it was just enjoyable to play the voice acting was great and the score was execellent there were i few parts that i didn't like (i hated most boss fights) especially the one with the big rancor like thing i spent a good hour or two just beating up on it until i figured out how to take it down, i really liked that game because the story was very good, gameplay was lacking at times but combining the powers was very fun for me

also you should be able beat any boss with straight on brute force, maybe have weak points that make it easier

also what is nwn? is it like oblivion or diablo or FF? a few people seem to love it but i never checked it out

also i loved oblivion and gta because you could save whenever do what ever you want but still know what your suposed to be doing

fps really need to be longer these days crysis pissed me off in that aspect that was really the only downside for me with that game (other than sys req.)
also NO MORE LOOKING FOR KEYS and other pointless items in games, its stupid and pointless thats when i quit playing a few games is because you always had to look for a friggin key or some shittin thing to open a weak wooden door that you could hack open with you sword or simply kick it open or something

also fable was a great game you could wader around a lot but still know what your doing and you could hack open doors and a lot of customization options (cant wait for 2)

GJSNeptune

Games need to appeal more to girlfriends. Aside from The Sims, that is.

System Name The86
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASROCKS B450 Steel Legend
Cooling AMD Stealth
Memory 2x8gb DDR4 3200 Corsair
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti
Storage WD Black 512gb, WD Blue 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24in
Case Raidmax Alpha Prime
Power Supply 700W Thermaltake Smart
Mouse Logitech Mx510
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow 2012
Software Windows 10 Professional
this is why i like games like Civlization and the Total War games, everything plays diffrent everytime, and after every battle the game saves and at the end of every turn.

Processor i7 920
Video Card(s) TFIII 6950
Software windows 7 64bit
i never really saw teh appeal of the sims, my old gf loved the sims i tried to get her to play gta she liked some of it (driving around) but she didn't like teh rest (killing hookers ;))

Processor i7 920
Video Card(s) TFIII 6950
Software windows 7 64bit
+1 candle
another thing games need is replay value, make the game worth buying (for me this is one of the biggest parts of actually buying a game)

System Name The86
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Cooling AMD Stealth
Display(s) AOC 24in
Case Raidmax Alpha Prime
Mouse Logitech Mx510
i agree, thats why empire building games last so long, today i can pick up say Civilization II and it plays diffrent than the last time and is sitll enjoyable even if its from 1994. A 14 year old game retains its appeal when a 2 year old game can not. Hell i like SimCity 2000 still also. Empire building is the one and only type that will never repeat, even an MMO and an RPG have limited possibilities

Processor i7 920
Video Card(s) TFIII 6950
Software windows 7 64bit
have to agree man i loved those games of course back then they were more worried about gameplay than graphics ;)

GJSNeptune

Ah, the days of Civ. on the SNES. I miss those days. Best gaming ever. The days when EA didn't push games out like a catholic wife. The days when developers cared about story and gameplay.

I would go back to the SNES and PSX days in a heartbeat.

Processor i7 920
Video Card(s) TFIII 6950
Software windows 7 64bit
goldeneye and the original perfect dark still have to be some of my fav. fps games to date

System Name The86
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Cooling AMD Stealth
Display(s) AOC 24in
Case Raidmax Alpha Prime
Mouse Logitech Mx510
I agree, when did we go from a game that could be fun 20 years later to a game that can be fun for 5 hours, COD4 SP come to mind anyone?