1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Think I fried my 2500K :'(

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by NdMk2o1o, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Nick89

Nick89

Thanks Received:
    Just an FYI, I never use mouse controls in the bios. Only the keyboard. Can't go wrong with the keyboard.

Also, unplug the PSU then take the battery out. That way there is no power to the board at all.

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. KieX

Thanks Received:
    My first 2600K died in a similar fashion. If the new motherboard doesn't solve the problem RMA the CPU, it's possible they give you a new one.

3. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    If I had to guess I would say the motherboard.... If it where the CPU.... you would probably just get a No Post/No video. But since you get to the windows installation....sounds to me like something is damaged on the motherboard somewhere. I would definitely try the motherboard first since you have tried most of the basics that everyone else has suggested to you.

4. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    Think it's bad news, replaced mobo, installed all components went to load Windows and bam BSOD, the same one :cry: left CPU at stock and put 1.35vcore through her and loaded Windows without a hitch the first time. Looks like it has degraded because of the extra voltage put through it, the only real question now is how long it will last. The SB chips are notorious for degrading when they receive too much voltage, sometimes they can run for months and other times it has been a matter of weeks/days from when the degradation starts.

Am in a fresh Windows install so am going to start doing some stress testing at stock and try and get it lower than 1.35vcore to see how bad the situation might be, though tbh I think this 2500k's overclocking days are over, RIP baby :cry:

5. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    2500K is $149 at microcenter atm...

6. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    Pitty you cant RMA a CPU while its in that state too. you are stuck in a half dead like state and you never know when its gonna cop out.

Not bad if shipping to the UK doesnt kill it

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  7. scooper22

scooper22 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Before ordering further hardware or RMAing something (takes time, stamp costs, etc.) you could try to check the system with priority on RAM.
    As you have only a DVD-drive I propose the Ultimate Boot CD. It has lots of stuff like partitioning, etc. but also many hardware test suites. Let them run for some time and pour another glass ;-)

8. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    I have previously tried ALL RAM sticks seperately and in different slots with no luck, tried booting with onboiard and only 1 stick of RAM plugged in and absolutely nothing else and still no joy, tonight everything plugged in, give her some vcore and bam booted straight up, as I mentioned thye symptoms I have SB chips are notorious for developing if you give them too much voltage, luckily (well not for me) it doesn't happen as much now as when they first came out as overclocking SB has come on since and people can still get 4.5-5.0 out of them without pumping them full of voltage and degrading them.

Freedom you are right, I am stuck in limbo, just how far into limbo I am I do not know. Good thing is even at 1.35v it's idling at 24c and running IBT never goes above 40c, bought some MX-2 today and really my temps are FAR FAR better than the temps I had previously with Arctic Silver :wtf:

9. scooper22

scooper22 New Member

Thanks Received:
    there are further tests for CPU (int/fp) validity and stress resistance on that CD. Or HDD-Tests that go through the SATA controller on the SB.
    (Also, sticking one RAM stick in at a time is not testing the stick for vaulth-free-ness. A RAM test covers the whole address space on the stick and is usually located in the hours runtime)

10. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Might aswell bite the bullet and grab another CPU

11. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    Am tearing my hair out,

The CPU is actually at 1.135vcore not 1.35v as I thought and it passes IBT at that voltage (actually reads 1.044-1.055 in Windows :eek: ) So that's my theory of it being the CPU out of the window, I mean it still could be but now it doesn't make any sense at all.

RAM is running at 1333, going to leave everything else as is and run the XMP profile and see what happens :ohwell:

12. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    IMO either your house or room is retardedly cold (was 17-18'c in my room a few nights ago - my coolant temp went down to 28'c) or the temp sensor on your CPU is borked. like my 4870 was when Sapphire returned it from RMA.

My 2500k alone idles at around 30-35'c. Im thinking its borked. I used MX-2 for a long time on CPUs and graphic cards and they never dropped temps that drasticly unless the room was freezing.

-----

I'll probably get trolled for saying this, but id just do whatever i can to finish the CPU off then just RMA it and say it just stopped working one day.

13. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    This is a very Hard lesson learned indeed, wisest words, Everything is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get.

Next time, Up the CPU a little bit and run it for a week with stress tests daily, keep eye on temps, voltage, cooling. Record it down, then up it a lil again n so forth.

14. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    I didn't mean to pump +0.5v into it :shadedshu

So after trying XMP (1600mhz) can't get the system to boot without BSOD even setting 1.65v for RAM and trying from 1.135vcore up to 1.32, it just wouldn't go.

Might be the RAM, chances are it's the memory controller, hirens boot CD here I come :rolleyes:

On a sidenote, it runs lovely at 1333 RAM and low vcore, fast aand solid, anything else and it just won't do it :ohwell:

15. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Try the Factory speed of the ram without XMP, aka force the settings themselves.

16. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    So set 1600 and sub timings manually?

17. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    yes and the voltage that is factory for that ram.

Tell u truth I dont like XMP or anything like that rather do it myself.

NdMk2o1o says thanks.
  18. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Don't forget you may need IMC volts too. With XMP off that will drop to stock. Most XMP profiles will add some here.

10 Year Member at TPU
  19. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    I will try, 1 question should the vcore have an effect on running a higher/tigther RAM timings? as I have it a 1.135v do I need to raise it when I up the RAM as the mem controller is on the proc?

20. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    Not typically, that's why I mentioned IMC voltage.

NdMk2o1o says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  21. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    Thanks man, missed your post while replying, what kind of region should the IMC voltage be in?

22. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    it is different for every kit really:(

If you are having issues at 1600mhz ram speeds, bump it one or two notches from stock, shouldn't take a ton of volts to get it stable though, so if it isn't responding well, don't keep pushing the IMC;)

I don't have my board fired up to see the voltage, but iirc 1.2V is top end, as in you really don't need that much.

10 Year Member at TPU
  23. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    what else might the IMC voltage be listed at :confused:

24. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    googling the board...brb

10 Year Member at TPU
  25. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    TBH I dont overclock ram at all, leave it stock, CPU and vid card are what i focus on.