1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Thinking about a budget upgrade

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Graogrim, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Graogrim New Member

Thanks Received:
    So my current system has been around for about 2.5 years and has served me very well. It was a budget construction from the start, but even now I still feel pretty good about it. Every real application and game I throw at it still performs at least adequately.

That said, there are a few specific cases starting to pop up that are making me think of upgrading. Not upgrading hugely, however. My plan is to once again replace the CPU, motherboard, and RAM and reuse my other components. My goal is to keep costs under $350, and the choices I have made reflect that goal.

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU: i3-530

Memory: CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

I'm not married to any of these choices, but they represent the kind of setup I'm looking for. The motherboard looks like it will age reasonably well, retaining support for a future i7 upgrade and more RAM as needed. The CPU is a considerable upgrade from my humble E2200, and the RAM just fits the price point and seems to offer good performance for the cost.

I do plan on overclocking this system, probably by a margin similar to what I overclock now--nothing stellar, just the best performance I can get on air while maintaining strong stability and longevity.

So, with all this in mind, I'm trolling for better choices floating around out there. Anyone have any recommendations or suggestions? Just keep in mind that I'm absolutely not considering splurging at this point--I am sticking to my budget.

2. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Graogrim says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  3. Graogrim New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi, JRF. Been a while. I'm much obliged for the suggestion. It's going into the hat for consideration, though it strains the budget somewhat. I'm unfamiliar with ASRock. Do they have a good reputation?

4. b82rez New Member

Thanks Received:
  5. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    Also not to forget that going the AM3 route would probably save you a little money in the long run if you want to upgrade again later. And motherboard options are limited with 1156, but although I will say they are expanding a little more as of late.

6. twilyth Guest

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward

Thanks Received:
    ASRock Motherbaords are good to go.

I love mine and plan on purchasing a second one. :D

8. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    I don't know about that. I have clocked a 965 Black C2 to 3.8Ghz 1.4v. With personal 24.7 usage, the i3 530 felt just as fast to me. The only chip I would consider is the x6 over the Core i3.

Here's also another option for you:
    Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, L...

As far as AsRock goes, they are the only "budget minded" brand I would look at and the only "budget" brand that has improved the most over the past 8 years. Meaning if i had to buy a new board I would take a feature rich Asrock over another brand's "vanilla" motherboard.

Graogrim says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  9. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
  10. Graogrim New Member

Thanks Received:
    Huh. MicroATX is something that I've reflexively avoided in the past, but given how much is now integrated on the motherboard these days the relative lack of slots just doesn't matter like it used to. That could be a game changer in my choice, thanks!