• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

thinking about software design and starting to train

System Name HOMECOMPUTER
Processor Intel i9 - 9900k @ 5.1Ghz - 1.31v
Motherboard Asux ROG Maximus XI Hero Wifi
Cooling ek supremacy evo full nickle, 2xEK 360 Radiators, ek d5 pump/res combo, ek full cover 2080ti block
Memory 16GB DDR 3600 Trident Z RGB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 2080TI
Storage 1xWD black NVME 500GB, 1xSamsung 970 Evo Plus NVME 1TB
Display(s) 2 Dell Gaming 27" 1440P Gsync
Case Lian LI PC-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Evga P2 1200Watt
Mouse Zowie FK1+
Keyboard Corsair Strafe rgb silent
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores i'm working on that
I'm considering finally going to college after going it the hard way the last 5 years. and i'm considering software design. To be completely honest, i can't code for crap and really nevered tried. I mean i was sick with html back in the day but even that isn't real software design imho. I'm wondering where i can get some free or at least really cheap training material i can use on the pc. I'm also looking to learn a more popular windows based language. Please help me out, all your tips on the subject will be taken to heart, i appreciate it in advance.

System Name Aquarium
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x
Motherboard ROG Strix X670-E
Cooling Lian Li Galahead 360 AIO
Memory 2x16gb Flare X5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5-6000 PC5-48000
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3060
Storage 2TB WD SN850X Black NVMe, 500GB Samsung 970 NVMe
Display(s) Gigabyte 32" IPS 144Hz
Case Hyte Y60
Power Supply Corsair RMx 850
Software Win 11 Pro/ PopOS!
The best place to get any information these days is of course, the internet. Google. I have been looking a little into such things lately too, and really, all the info you could ever need is somewhere on the interweb. It just takes time and self-determination to find it, and execute it.

Of course, school can give more direction in the teaching. And the for dummies books are priceless....lol

What are you looking to do. I took a class on python (has elements of java and c++ but simpler and more powerful) last semester and picked up some good training materials on that. I can give you some links to those if you want (they're all online).

System Name HOMECOMPUTER
Processor Intel i9 - 9900k @ 5.1Ghz - 1.31v
Motherboard Asux ROG Maximus XI Hero Wifi
Cooling ek supremacy evo full nickle, 2xEK 360 Radiators, ek d5 pump/res combo, ek full cover 2080ti block
Memory 16GB DDR 3600 Trident Z RGB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 2080TI
Storage 1xWD black NVME 500GB, 1xSamsung 970 Evo Plus NVME 1TB
Display(s) 2 Dell Gaming 27" 1440P Gsync
Case Lian LI PC-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Evga P2 1200Watt
Mouse Zowie FK1+
Keyboard Corsair Strafe rgb silent
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores i'm working on that
i'm really not sure, what is the more popular language being used today? is it visual basic?? i know the ms was giving away their training material or somthing i just wasn't paying attention. i wanna get used to a visual programing language and then move to things like silverlight or rim programs like adobe flex

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
You can get Microsoft's development environment (IDE) and any of their compilers (VB, C++, C#, Web Developer, SQL Server) for free is you download the express versions.

www.msdn.com/express

They do not have all the bells and whistles of the real versions, but they are by no means "crippled".

And, of course, if you do use them (or anything else) and have questions, just head over the the "Programming and Webmastering" section of the forums and we will be happy to try to assit you.

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
My suggestion is this:

Get QBASIC. Download a few programs/games like "snake".

If you can learn QBASIC quickly, and its fun learning and understanding programs like "snake" and modifying them... THEN start with visual basic. Get the free versions as per Kreij's suggestion.

Programming is NOT for everyone. For most people it really isnt fun, esp. the debugging part. Dont start a college education on something you arent passionate about. TBH, I dont think you should do it. If you havent ALREADY tried programming, it sounds like you are only trying because its an option for college. Although PCs might have been fun so far (gaming, internet) you might be unpleasantly surprised when it comes to database and object and UI programming.