• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Thinking about using other bios to fix crashes

Paintface

Processor E5200 @ 3.7ghz
Motherboard DFI LanParty DK P35 DARK
Cooling Zalman CPU + case cooling
Memory OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 4GB 1066
Video Card(s) Saphire 4890 Vapor-X OCed
Storage Raptor 74GB + 640GB sata + 1TB sata ( all WD)
Display(s) BENQ 24inch LCD 1080p
Case my desk
Audio Device(s) Creative Audigy 2 ZS
Power Supply OCZ gameXstream 700w
Software Windows 7 x64 ultimate
So i have owned my Powercolor 3870 PCS for 9 months now, and still have crashing issues with this card.

Got a new mainboard, 2 new PSUs, tried without the creative card in, has excellent zalman cooling ( replaced the zerotherm cooler ).

I dont know what causes it... But this is what happens.

Usually this happens in World of Warcraft alot more frequently then any other game, what is typical about me playing wow is that i alt tab alot, so i thought maybe powerplay could be the issue where it switches alot between 2D and 3D so the clocks go up and down alot, maybe the voltages do too.

Crashing goes along these lines, the screen freezes in either wow or windows desktop, but in both i can still move my cursor for 3-5 seconds, then black screen with blocks of artifacting for a second and my monitor turns itself off. When i press control+alt+delete or sometimes alt+tab the card kicks back and i get the picture back.During this whole precedure sound keeps playing.

I can only assume its that, cause i can play COD4 for hours with my GPU going at the max of 850mhz with my cooling on silent and the GPU cooking at 80C, yet when playing wow and 100mhz less clock on both gpu and memory it can be every 15-30 mins that it does crash.

HEre is the gpu-z screenshot of my card

So i wondered are there BIOSes that disable powerplay? and keep a constant clock at all times? and how safe is it to toy with those things? i dont want to brick my card.

Also i would like to run the card at the stock 775mhz setting instead of 800 of the PCS for stability reasons.

Thanks for any input