• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Thinking of giving Ubuntu a try...

MisterM

Ok, so I've downloaded the ISO and I'm almost ready to install. I've run it from the disk once, but I'm not sure that it's such a great idea for a newb like me to be installing before I even know how to connect to the internet with it. And I'm not kidding, I knew it would take some configuration, but I don't possess the details to configure it :/

Is there a guide that I could print/buy. I'm not the richest guy on the planet but reliability is more of a factor than cost. If someone could point me in the direction of a good guide it'd be much appreciated.

System Name Dell inspiron 5570
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-7500U Processor
Motherboard Dell Inc.
Memory SK Hynix 4GB DDR4 SDRAM PC4-19200
Video Card(s) Intel(R) HD Graphics 620
Storage Intel Optane+932GBHDD w/ External Crucial M500 240GB ssd
Display(s) 15.6" w/ Extended display Samsung 27"
Audio Device(s) Realtek Audio
Mouse ONN Wireless
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Home (x64)
Benchmark Scores HaHa yeah right :p

Studabaker

System Name Built Entirely With Parts From CompUSA
Processor E7400 2.8 @ 3.6 [9.0*400/1.31v]
Motherboard Gigabyte EP45-UD3R
Cooling Masscool 8WA741
Memory 2x1GB Corsair XMS2 800 4-4-4-12
Video Card(s) BFG 9800GTX+OC; GTS250 BIOS
Storage 2x WD 250GB AAKS in RAID0!
Display(s) 19" I-Inc LCD @ 1440x900
Case Ultra X-Blaster Clear Side
Audio Device(s) Audigy with X-Fi drivers; Logitech X-540s
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Software Vista 32-Bit
The Ubuntu install disc uses a Live environment. It loads up a fully usable version of the OS, with internet connectivity and all (you shouldn't have to configure anything by hand if you're connected via ethernet or wireless card). That means that you can literally use the OS and learn as you go along. Installation is simple, you can actually install Ubuntu inside of the Windows partition (that's the data space inside the hard drive, sorry if I'm explaining stuff you know) or you can re-size the Windows partition and create a new Ubuntu partition for a 'true' install. This stuff is simple and the Ubuntu setup process guides you right through it (note that to install Ubuntu inside of Windows you just run the executable on the DVD). Plus like I said, the installation happens through an actual working copy of the OS so while you're doing it you can launch Firefox and look for any help you need. Cheers and good luck.

MisterM

Thanks

Thanks for the responses, I'm about to check it out now. Hopefully I'll be able to report back soon :p