• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

This is the end (of Fry's) My only friend, the end

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
Having lived on the East Coast I have only been to Fry's just a few times. Kind of sad to see it go even though plenty of people saw it as basically a best buy. Look's like they are starting clearance sales. At least Fry's will always have that cameo in Mr. Robot.

System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
Thats unfortunate, I have never been to a Frys. I have no love for the local Best Buy, but I am glad my local Microcenter is still around here and I buy a good amount from them.

I would lose whole days perusing the Frys in the Chicagoland area when I lived there. Sad to see another store head to the CompUSA Circuit City grave. :( Looks like sales tax enforcement for the online stores came too late...

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
Bought a Socket A system from them long ago when I lived near one. I remember kicking myself for not going into it sooner, as I went just before I moved. Back then, there were many "electronics" stores, and some really sucked because they were giant showrooms with teams of sales people pushing extended warranties. Not Frys. It was a geek's warehouse. At least I still have a microcenter!

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
It would be smart to thin out inventories and close certain locations and keep others if they want to survive. That's what I would do--trim the fat and keep the profitable locations.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Looks like sales tax enforcement for the online stores came too late...

Frankly, that'd never have made a difference anyways. Retail just has too much overhead.

Frankly, that'd never have made a difference anyways. Retail just has too much overhead.
It made a much bigger difference than people think. When looking at out-the-door costs, shipping was always cheaper than local sales tax, and then online retailers started to absorb the cost of the shipping, which gave them an unfair advantage. If both models had tax enforcement the entire time, I think it would have given the opportunity for the 'best of the best' to still be around. In today's climate, online always wins on price, and no sales tax had a lot to do with that.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
It made a much bigger difference than people think. When looking at out-the-door costs, shipping was always cheaper than local sales tax, and then online retailers started to absorb the cost of the shipping, which gave them an unfair advantage. If both models had tax enforcement the entire time, I think it would have given the opportunity for the 'best of the best' to still be around. In today's climate, online always wins on price, and no sales tax had a lot to do with that.

I think there is just no way ultimately, push come to shove, retail can truly price match online, pay it's employees/rent, and be profitable.

That is really the heart of the problem. Sales tax may have helped, but it would have only been a short term fix. That, and I still question what right my state has to tax me on a product literally bought and sold in another state, but meh. Law is law.

D

Deleted member 185158

The Frys out by me is usually doing well any time I've gone in there. Usually more people there than BestBuy.

After Tiger Direct closed (live close to the warehouse in Naperville Il) it was rather depressing.

Now, Online shopping has a grip on me. I miss walking into the stores and buying hardware. The chicago taxes also make it difficult.

Nkd

They have responded to every comment on facebook lately. I don't think they are closing, I was thinking the same thing. I think they are getting leaner like Microcenter is. ofcourse microcenter is going to look more filled then frys because the sheer size of frys. They didn't used to respond and Below is finally their response to every customer talking about low stock.

"i! We apologize for the low stock levels in our stores. We are moving to a consignment model with our vendors.

During the transition, we have to temporarily stop ordering product as we put new consignment agreements in place.

As of now, we have over 170 vendors on consignment and adding more every week! We appreciate your patience and support during this transition. ^Billy"

I think there is just no way ultimately, push come to shove, retail can truly price match online, pay it's employees/rent, and be profitable.

That is really the heart of the problem. Sales tax may have helped, but it would have only been a short term fix. That, and I still question what right my state has to tax me on a product literally bought and sold in another state, but meh. Law is law.
Owning a physical distribution business at one point, I can say that you can truly exceed online value and be profitable--but it has to be a time-based thing, ie, you need it today and can't wait. This was definitely the case for auto parts, even though people could wait if they timed all their jobs perfectly. And 5-7% on most goods isn't much of a premium compared to overnight shipping, so same-day local wins. It's one of the reasons free in store pickup has made the retailers relevant again.

It's actually the federal government that should be dealing with the state tax issue since one of the jobs of the federal government is to regulate interstate commerce. The problem is that the sheer number of taxing entities--states, counties, and municipalities makes the whole job a tremendous load on a business. At the federal level there should have been a system established to tie into pos systems and remit the taxes collected daily, just as how the merchant systems pay retailers daily. No more returns, no more reconciliations outside of the daily register balances, and no more wondering if it is correct or not.

In the state of Alabama where I was a distributor, I only had to collect taxes for my retail customers which was less than 20% of my overall customer base. And I still had to make a spreadsheet to help me calculate and file over 40 returns to different municipalities, counties, and the state. And this didn't even cover business licenses, which also need to be obtained if you sell even a single retail product in a particular municipality or county, of course in addition to the state.

The defacto rule for many years was that each state honored taxes as being paid as long as they were in another state. But when taxes were not being collected by mail order companies for any state, that's where the problem began. Technically, taxes were due from every consumer of every product sold, but the challenge was how to make them pay for it outside the sale process--hence the introduction of 'use tax' which hardly anyone pays because they are unaware of it. And use tax was really just a band-aid anyways--companies, every company, charging and remitting the proper tax was the real solution, and they're finally getting around to it. And the companies are popping up to help manage all that as the database of just all the tax rates and zip codes has got to be enormous--especially keeping up with it in real-time and adjusting sales systems for any changes immediately. This overhead far exceeds the local retailer that's got at the most 3 tax rates to worry about and 3 places to send it. And that's what would have leveled the playing field a bit between online and store retailers.

The Frys out by me is usually doing well any time I've gone in there. Usually more people there than BestBuy.

After Tiger Direct closed (live close to the warehouse in Naperville Il) it was rather depressing.

Now, Online shopping has a grip on me. I miss walking into the stores and buying hardware. The chicago taxes also make it difficult.
Wow, I had no idea Tiger Direct was there too. I really missed out. I never even got a chance to see abt while I was living there.

Online has its plusess and walk-in has its as well. It's nice to actually see the hardware and see it in action or check something you can't see in pictures or spec sheets. Online is great in that you don't even have to leave home and you get what you want usually for the cheapest you can find it for.

I think the old Service Merchandise retail model would have done absolutely terrific in this environment. They had everything you could buy out on the retail floor to see, but you wrote down your order based on the item numbers and whatnot and then went to check out. After checking out, you went to the pickup area where the items came out on a belt directly from the stocked warehouse--they didn't waste effort stocking the products on a sales floor. Today, you could update that model with an amazon store like interface where you simply scan your items and then tell it you want to pick up and then get them at the delivery belt. Maybe a little too connected this way, but you could have small handheld pos units that would do the scanning and totaling and you swipe your card on them and they print a receipt for pickup. And the same warehouse could also work on fulfilling shipment orders in the same manner so the delivery of belt or ship would be the only difference. Too bad Service Merchandise went out 20+ years ago. I still have a lot of stuff we bought from there.

They have responded to every comment on facebook lately. I don't think they are closing, I was thinking the same thing. I think they are getting leaner like Microcenter is. ofcourse microcenter is going to look more filled then frys because the sheer size of frys. They didn't used to respond and Below is finally their response to every customer talking about low stock.

"i! We apologize for the low stock levels in our stores. We are moving to a consignment model with our vendors.

During the transition, we have to temporarily stop ordering product as we put new consignment agreements in place.

As of now, we have over 170 vendors on consignment and adding more every week! We appreciate your patience and support during this transition. ^Billy"
That's awesome that they're able to do things on consignment--that's actually badass. Then their cash requirement and holding costs go way down, and the manufacturer can probably dictate the price which means they are taking the bulk of the profit and frys will need high volume to make serious money. But this sounds like what MC may be doing already as their prices are sometimes too cheap to believe.

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
Went in there a couple of weeks ago. Shelves were bare

They did however have a bunch of $5 keyboards

Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Mech or just $5 keyboards? :D

You can't make money selling $5 keyboards. They also had a bunch of really discounted toys, and other junk. The store looks completely different.

Last edited:

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Actually for me, I had only ever known Fry’s as an online store (didn’t know they had physical stores). I had bought a number of computer parts from them online over the years. They definitely have a web presence, so that is not the issue.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Actually for me, I had only ever known Fry’s as an online store (didn’t know they had physical stores). I had bought a number of computer parts from them online over the years. They definitely have a web presence, so that is not the issue.
For me brick and mortar, skt A was the build then.

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360 A-RGB
Memory 32 GB Ballistix Elite DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) XFX 6800 XT Speedster Merc 319 Black
Storage Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 1TB
Display(s) LG 27GL850B x 2 / ASUS MG278Q
Case be quiet! Silent Base 802
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster AE-7 / Sennheiser HD 660S
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium
Software Windows 11 Pro 64
The biggest thing I remember about Frys was their return line.

You can't make money selling $5 keyboards. They also had a buck of really discounted toys, and other junk. The store looks completely different.
You'd be surprised--with a 200-300% margin, it's the junk stuff that really makes money if you can move it.

System Name Bruh
Processor 10700K 5.3Ghz 1.35v| i7 7920HQ 3.6Ghz -180Mv |
Motherboard Z490 TUF Wifi | Apple QMS180 |
Cooling EVGA 360MM | Laptop HS |
Memory DDR4 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | LPDDR3 16GB 2133Mhz CL20 |
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix 3080 (2100Mhz/18Ghz)|Radeon Pro 560 (1150Mhz/1655Mhz)|
Storage Many SSDs, ~24TB HDD/8TB SSD
Display(s) S2719DGF, HP Z27i, Z24n| 1800P 15.4" + ZR30W + iPad Pro 10.5 2017
Case NR600 | MBP 2017 15" Silver | MSI GE62VR | Elite 120 Advanced
Audio Device(s) Lol imagine caring about audio
Power Supply 850GQ | Apple 87W USB-C |
Mouse Whatever I have on hand + trackpads (Lanchead TE)
Keyboard HyperX Origins Alloy idk
Software W10 20H2|W10 1903 LTSC/MacOS 11
Benchmark Scores No.
Only reason I visit a IRL store anymore (for tech products, that is) is MicroCenter usually has cheap Ryzen deals or good Open Box prices, Best Buy/Walmart occasionally screws up and lists stuff for cheap (8750H/1060 laptop for $400) but not often.

Processor Raptor Lake 13700K
Motherboard Asus Z690
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600Mhz CAS16
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 4070 Ti
Display(s) Samsung C32HG70 - 32" 1440p
Case Silverstone GD-07B
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 3rd Gen - Sennheiser HD595
The Chicago-area Frys has been going downhill for the better part of a decade.

Their pricing is not competitive, their selection of brands/models has been increasingly poor, their shelf stock is old/outdated but still listed at full launch retail many years later; I could go on. Discrete PC components are affected so badly that they might as well not offer any for sale. "Lets see....for RAM, you have a choice of Patriot Memory or Generic Brand B, both for 70-150% above the going price. Wait, whoops, every single one of them is out of stock. If you're interested, we have this Socket 775 motherboard with all the pins smashed down and a missing heatsink clip for $239.95"

If you actually manage to find something you want and ask for a price-match, they'll add the cost of "shipping" even when said-item includes free shipping from multiple online retailers. With a Microcenter just a few miles away (who, by the way is absolutely killing it as a retailer), there's no reason to deal with this BS. When Frys finally goes out, the only thing of value we'll lose is quick access to several isles of discrete electrical components (resistors, capacitors, switches, etc). To the best of my knowledge, no other retailers offer these in any meaningful capacity, though there's probably a warehouse/wholesaler in an industrial park somewhere who are just much less visible.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Brick and mortar stores aren't competitive on pricing. You can buy anything just about from Amazon and get free shipping as well. The last store I went to looking for PC hardware or games was a Circuit City over 10 years ago and they shut down brick and mortar stores as well.

Motherboard Asus Z690
Case Silverstone GD-07B
Brick and mortar stores aren't competitive on pricing.
Microcenter is not just competitive on CPU prices, they're often the best available anywhere. On top that, they give you $30 off a motherboard, and price-match everything else with no fuss. If anything, I've gone full circle and started moving away from online retailers whenever MC has what I need, because they're competitive and make it easy. As an example, I just bought this for a family member within the past few days:

$80 - Ryzen 5 1600 (6/12 @ 3.2Ghz)
$55 (85 with -$30 combo savings) Asus Prime B450M-A Motherboard
$63 - G Skill Ripjaw 16GB (2x8GB) 2666Mhz
----------------
$198 + Tax

That's ridiculous. I'll likely buy another set of the same Mobo/CPU to try with ECC for a NAS.

Motherboard Asus Z690
Case Silverstone GD-07B