• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Thoughts on adding downvote capability?

I think the most important would be highlighting the solution post(s) with automated appending of the solution post right below the question post if software allows it. This way, whoever comes to a thread, he doesn't have to scroll through pages lookig for answer, it could be a second post if users mark it as "it worked/solution". Would save tons of time.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
I think users should have a visible overall rating calculated from the ratings they've received, rather than just seeing what individual posts were rated.

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Keyboard under going restoration
Will there be a manual for new members?

1522304643372.png

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I just went into a news post and down-voted all but three posts out of like 40. They were all off-topic and were upvoted. WTF. Some of you guys fail at using this.

I Suggest that if users are upvoting for no reason as seems to be happening, that they get served an infraction, and lose rights to use the system.

I just went into a news post and down-voted all but three posts out of like 40. They were all off-topic and were upvoted. WTF. Some of you guys fail at using this. I Suggest that if users are upvoting for no reason as seems to be happening, that they get served an infraction, and lose rights to use the system.
Can we see to what you are referring? What post was it?

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
I just went into a news post and down-voted all but three posts out of like 40. They were all off-topic and were upvoted. WTF. Some of you guys fail at using this.

I Suggest that if users are upvoting for no reason as seems to be happening, that they get served an infraction, and lose rights to use the system.
This is a problem with likes as well... people spam them without reason. Hence why I wanted to limit them - perhaps people will think a little before using them. Now, the same issue makes its way over to the rating system. Fix the root cause, not just the symptoms. ;)

Pretty sure the adage of give them a foot and they take a mile applied here.
I mean, when there are not any consequences, what did you guys expect really? This is the bed that was made.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Or an even better solution, disband the upvotes as well as downvotes and all likes removed. Just allow people to have interaction. If people get too off topic, mods warn them. It’s the relaxed, non-totalitarian atmosphere that drew most people here.

people spam them without reason.
That is an assumption. None of us are mind-readers, thus none of us can know for certain what the reasoning is behind a like/rating. For example, I'm very generous with likes. My reasoning is that if I like, agree with, appreciate or think a comment is useful, it gets a like.
Hence why I wanted to limit them - perhaps people will think a little before using them.
Putting limits on positivity is the same as being negative. Limits on the downrating are needed as they are the most likely aspect to be abused.
Or an even better solution, disband the upvotes as well as downvotes and all likes removed. Just allow people to have interaction.
Can't agree with this either. Many times I use likes to acknowledge what someone has said and let them know such, which is why the current like system is valuable as it shows not only that someone agrees, but also who. In those instances, adding a comment without much more to say is not needed.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
That is an assumption. None of us are mind-readers, thus none of us can know for certain what the reasoning is behind a like/rating. For example, I'm very generous with likes. My reasoning is that if I like, agree with, appreciate or think a comment is useful, it gets a like.

Putting limits on positivity is the same as being negative. Limits on the downrating are needed as they are the most likely aspect to be abused.

Can't agree with this either. Many times I use likes to acknowledge what someone has said and let them know such, which is why the current like system is valuable as it shows not only that someone agrees, but also who. In those instances, adding a comment without much more to say is not needed.
I was being facetious, since Cadaveca makes these broad proclamations about up voting being out of control without any context or ability to learn from his corrections. So figured what the heck, “we might as well ditch it all.”

People have willingly admitted as such. We saw the abuse already in this or the others thread doing it out of spite. Dave's example is just another feather in the cap.

I don't believe I use it often. To me, it isn't a 'participation trophy' where if you respond I like it. That isn't to say I don't do it willy nilly sometimes either. BUt they aren't handed out like candy from me.

Putting a limit on likes/positivity is not the same as being negative. Its just making people more conscious on how they spread the love. Instead of willy nilly liking things because they agree or whatever. I don't do it back home as we have a limit, so when something is liked there, it tends to be 'worth it'. Down or up, they will both continue to be abused.

To me, it isn't a 'participation trophy' where if you respond I like it.
But that's your perspective. Not everyone thinks of it the same way.
Putting a limit on likes/positivity is not the same as being negative.
Sorry, it is a proven psychological concept. Limiting a persons ability to be positive is a destructive construct, thus negative.

I agree, I even said it was my perspective...I didn't say it was anyone else's or a majority. Just how I handle them here. But as always, appreciate reiteration of my point.
To me, it isn't a 'participation trophy' where if you respond I like it.

Well, so far it hasn't destroyed OCF!!! But, is seemingly eroding away at some here. ;)

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
I was being facetious, since Cadaveca makes these broad proclamations about up voting being out of control without any context or ability to learn from his corrections. So figured what the heck, “we might as well ditch it all.”

Oh, I liked your idea and upvoted you a +3.

I'd love to abandon the super mario cart menagerie of systems we have going and just be adults. The whole thing seems out of hand and unnecessary. I'm liking less posts now because my eyes hurt from all the tags and coloured squares. It's like a social media migraine.

I'm not that into the need to be liked or applaud things.

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64

If someone simply clicks on "Like" it immediately applies a +1 to the post. People may not be actually rating with the Rate button and choosing a +1. Multiple likes on a post doesn't seem to change anything, you need to actually click on "Rate" and choose +2 or +3 to increase the positive points applied to the post.

Is the "Like" button supposed to add the +1 to a post? If so, that seems kind of odd. I could simply go around and Like everything and it would all get a +1 if there was no previous rating on the post.

If you changed a lot of +1 posts, this might be the reason why. Someone clicked on "Like" and the post was automatically given a +1 rating.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
Pretty sure W1zzard tied the +1 and likes together for now. He had reason to do so, server side related if I recall correctly.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Putting a limit on likes/positivity is not the same as being negative. Its just making people more conscious on how they spread the love. Instead of willy nilly liking things because they agree or whatever. I don't do it back home as we have a limit, so when something is liked there, it tends to be 'worth it'. Down or up, they will both continue to be abused.

I gotta say I like this idea and the thought behind it. It also isn't hard to understand for a newcomer, you just see that you have a number of up/downvotes left for a period of time so you'll deal with it. A little mouseover popup with explanation of it would be sufficient.

@sneekypeet yes what I think W1zz said is he seeds the system with +1's from the likes, to get a baseline/feel for it.

So far I have to say I'm not seeing much reason to complain. Of course people will use the wrong vote for certain posts at times. And whether or not something is deemed off-topic is also not entirely concrete, some people just don't realize if a post truly is on-topic. Its also a matter of intelligence, understanding, and how you feel that day.

Live and let live; let it sit here for a second, let people get accustomed to it. Right now we have a forum where there is a Like and a rating system in place, which is the most confusing bit of it all. When the Like option is entirely removed, people will use the system differently for sure.

I agree, I even said it was my perspective...I didn't say it was anyone else's or a majority. Just how I handle them here. But as always, appreciate reiteration of my point. Well, so far it hasn't destroyed OCF!!! But, is seemingly eroding away at some here. ;)
No offense was intended, of course. Only illustrating a point.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
If someone simply clicks on "Like" it immediately applies a +1 to the post. People may not be actually rating with the Rate button and choosing a +1. Multiple likes on a post doesn't seem to change anything, you need to actually click on "Rate" and choose +2 or +3 to increase the positive points applied to the post.

Is the "Like" button supposed to add the +1 to a post? If so, that seems kind of odd. I could simply go around and Like everything and it would all get a +1 if there was no previous rating on the post.

If you changed a lot of +1 posts, this might be the reason why. Someone clicked on "Like" and the post was automatically given a +1 rating.
I didn't change anything, because I don't have the power to do so... but I do have the same powers everyone else does, and a I down-voted off-topic postings. That's all.
Can we see to what you are referring? What post was it?
To be honest I'd have to switch PCs and check my viewing history. I was sitting at a car dealership waiting for service and was perusing threads while waiting, on my Surface. It's was either an NVidia/Intel/amd thread with most of the posts being about some other brand and how they suck, or don't suck, because they don't do this, or do this. You know, basically the same content in any thread. It makes it hard to remember exactly what's going on. :p

It's was either an NVidia/Intel/amd thread with most of the posts being about some other brand and how they suck, or don't suck, because they don't do this, or do this.
Yeah, I'm with you on that one. The fanboy stuff is irritating and the back and forth can get tedious. Some of those discussions and can be constructive, but much of the time it's just nonsense.

D

Deleted member 67555

Yeah, I'm with you on that one. The fanboy stuff is irritating and the back and forth can get tedious. Some of those discussions and can be constructive, but much of the time it's just nonsense.
That type of nonsense is essential for tech forums.... It's also the reason I stayed in the pits of GN for 3 or so years... It becomes irritating quickly but it is necessary.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Except, we saw nothing, and have no reference other than he didn’t like all the pluses and minuses in some mystery thread. @W1zzard needs to see this.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
Except, we saw nothing, and have no reference other than he didn’t like all the pluses and minuses in some mystery thread. @W1zzard needs to see this.

Needs to see what exactly? As far as I can tell, Dave is only conveying much of what has been said, but expressed he saw it in a thread. He also explained that to be sure when providing a link, he had to be on another PC to do so. I'm sure there is no "mystery thread", more likely that he is too busy and cannot provide you with detailed information right at this moment. You have been around long enough not to be twisted this tight about someone expressing something. (also, if you read the guidelines, retaliatory behavior, we are trying to curb at TPU)

Last edited:
While he didn't cite a specific thread, we've all seen what he was talking about, and in that context he was right. I'd still like to see it too as so understand more fully and I'm betting when he checks his activity, he'll let us know.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Or an even better solution, disband the upvotes as well as downvotes and all likes removed. Just allow people to have interaction. If people get too off topic, mods warn them. It’s the relaxed, non-totalitarian atmosphere that drew most people here.

What is this, a logical and rational opinion?

I'm in the same boat as you, I honestly don't believe this sudden change has been thought through enough. The laid-back atmosphere that created TPU forums in its current incarnation, is being replaced by something much stricter and the end result is that a LOT of users used to that are going to leave or end up banned. In fact I'm willing to bet that at least a third of the top 50 posters are going to get the chop within the first 3 months, for the simple reason that many of them are guilty of "crimes" like shitposting that were ignored by the previous regime.

So I guess if the objective is to tear down the community that's been built over the past decade, then... good job?

Personally, I like the idea of TPU forums being more structured. But if you wanted it to be that way, you should've made it that way from day one. Changing the rules halfway down the line for reasons that haven't been made clear, seems rather like disassembling a rocket engine to make it more efficient... while it's taking you into orbit.

What is this, a logical and rational opinion?
Really?
In fact I'm willing to bet that at least a third of the top 50 posters are going to get the chop within the first 3 months, for the simple reason that many of them are guilty of "crimes" like shitposting that were ignored by the previous regime.
You say that like it's a bad thing.
So I guess if the objective is to tear down the community that's been built over the past decade, then... good job?
Be realistic, that's not going to happen.
Personally, I like the idea of TPU forums being more structured.
Ok.
But if you wanted it to be that way, you should've made it that way from day one.
If things stayed the same, there would be no need for change. The world is changing and people are changing with it. If TPU wants to stay a welcoming online community it must modify itself to adapt to the changing times.
Changing the rules halfway down the line for reasons that haven't been made clear, seems rather like disassembling a rocket engine to make it more efficient... while it's taking you into orbit.
That statement implies you think TPU staff are accountable to us forum users. They are not. We are guests who do not own this site, nor the forums that are a part of it. What does happen is they ask for our insights. They take on board the ideas they have and sometimes ideas we offer, but only if it seems useful. They experiment with things like this rating system. It's a work in progress. Voicing a concern, a perspective, some experiences, etc, in a constructive way is far more useful than just blasting them with negativity.