• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Thoughts on an upgrade to a Kraken G10?

System Name Hella Cool/Mini Moop
Processor i5 3550/i3 3240
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LK/ MSI B75IA-E33
Cooling Antec Kuhler 620 H20+ Corsair SP 120mm Quiet Edition/ Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 1600 MHZ/ 8GB Corsair XMS 1600 MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire VAPOR-X 7970 GHz Edition 3GB DDR5/ HIS 7750 1GB DDR5 Single Slot
Storage Western Digital Black 640GB (SATA III), Toshiba 1TB (SATA III)/ Hitachi 500GB (SATA III)
Display(s) Viewsonic Something (Full HD 1080P, 24 in)
Case Cooler Master CM 690 III/ Cooler Master Elite 110
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Corsair HX 750W/ CM GX 650W (Will change to corsair cx430M)
Software Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit/ Ubuntu or SteamOS
So i'm currently running a 7970 GHz Edition Vapor-X Edition by Sapphire in my rig. No slouch, but temps and noise really do rev up when i'm playing certain games.
The only game I really do play that makes this happen is Bioshock Infinite, so for now, I can live with the fans revving up for 2 hours at best. However, i'm considering going into litecoin mining, and i'm wondering if its worth the time to invest in a Kraken G10+Antec Kuhler 620.
I'm currently running a 620 in my rig, and although CPU and GPU temps are radically different things when it comes to mining, i've been alright with it. I'm looking for a quiet rig that can still mine, so i'm thinking that the G10 will make it worth my while.
I'm not looking for the G10 to pay itself off through mining. Its also just an investment for the longevity of my computer.
Also, if i'm using solely the GPU to mine, does a good, well-cooled CPU matter? I'm starting to consider moving my mini-itx rig to a better case if I do start mining, and pairing that with my 7970.
If there is also a better asetek liquid cooler out there for less then 170 USD that doesn't really use a ridiculously sized dual width radiator, please tell me.
EDIT:
If I go ahead with this, i'll be changing my case to the elite 130. I should be able to fit my current hardware in there, and I might even be able to fit some of my wires where the 5.25" drive bay is. Im not too sure about ventilation within the case though, as the 120mm fan slot will be occupied by the GPU cooler.

Last edited: