• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

thoughts on Corsair mouse and keyboards

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name Blackbox
Processor Intel i7-7820x
Motherboard Supermicro C9X299-PG300
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 16GB 2666..tentatively
Video Card(s) Powercolor Vega 64
Storage Intel 900p 280GB, 545s 512GB, Barracuda 10TB
Display(s) Viewsonic VX2457, Samsung 4KTV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Software Win 10 Pro
I happen to like them. I have both wired and the new wireless K63/Dark Core. Not quite as thrilled with the wireless, since the software doesn't always initialize the keyboard at Windows boot up properly. Sometimes I need to relaunch the app. But you aren't going to get gaming/mechanical gear that is wireless like this in many other places.

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i5 8600k
Motherboard Asrock Z370 Extreme 4
Cooling Corsair H-110i GTX
Memory 2x 4Gb Crucial Sport LT
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 980 Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 evo 250Gb
Display(s) Dell Ultra Sharp Widescreen 24" 1200P
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 Gold
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
I've tried two of their keyboards, and several of their mice, and in my experience, their best product was the M45 mouse , the KB's i tried were unremarkable. But that M45 was innthe top 5 of the best mice ive ever used, amazing quality....i dont think they make it any longer tho, as this was 4 or more years ago i think

Honest Abe

Well for keyboards, I know last time I was researching them that they use non-standard spacing for the bottom row so you are screwed if you want to use different caps, which is one of the main benefits of using Cherry MX switches in the first place.

I've grown to appreciate PBT keycaps on my MX boards since they resist wear/yellowing and stickiness due to their different properties as opposed to ABS caps. See how pristine 1980's Model M keycaps, which are PBT, still often look compared to other ABS keycap boards of the era.

Last edited:
I hate to give up screen space for monitoring utilities, so much prefer the Logitech Gaming KBs with the LCD. For mice, my Asus Gx950 gave it up after just over 5 years, tried a few others before finding a site still selling the GX950.

I don't use wreless KBs / mice anymore... got tired of re "pairing" , tho a wireless headset is a preferred if ya don't wanna get twisted neck when ya stand up to get a snackie

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor Intel 5960X @ 4.4GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X99-UD3
Cooling Custom Loop. 360+240 rads.
Memory 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2966MHz 16-17-17-35
Video Card(s) ASUS 1080 Ti FE + water block
Storage Optane 900P + Samsung 950Pro 256GB NVMe + 750 EVO 500GB
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270
Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer Deathstalker
Software Windows 10 insider
I hate to give up screen space for monitoring utilities, so much prefer the Logitech Gaming KBs with the LCD. For mice, my Asus Gx950 gave it up after just over 5 years, tried a few others before finding a site still selling the GX950.

I don't use wreless KBs / mice anymore... got tired of re "pairing" , tho a wireless headset is a preferred if ya don't wanna get twisted neck when ya stand up to get a snackie
Order el cheapo 3.5 inch raspberry pi lcd. It drives via HDMI. You can screen there anything you wish as a proper second screen.

System Name Monster
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII WiFi
Cooling Corsair H100i V1.0
Memory Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix RX580 OC 8Gb
Storage 250Gb Samsung EVO SSD, 500Gb WD M.2, plus three spinners up to 1.5Tb
Display(s) Samsung C27F591 curved monitor 27" with FreeSync
Case Cooler Master Storm Trooper
Audio Device(s) Supreme FX
Power Supply Corsair RM850X full modular
Mouse AFX LMO216
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB Silent
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores 3DMark 4053 (lower with freesync off)
I have a Raptor K30 wired keyboard which has served me well for four or five years and I bought it with a Raptor M40 gaming mouse. Of course, both have now been updated by Corsair.
k30.png

I now use them on my work machine and there's no doubt about the quality, although the keyboard has given me lag at times, especially in car racing games. It's not mechanical either.
Last year I went for a Corsair Strafe RGB keyboard, which is mechanical and uses Cherry MX Silent key switches. They're not actually all that silent, but it doesn't bother me because for gaming, it's a big step up from the K30.
Whilst the lighting is nice to look at, once set through iCUE (which is very difficult to grasp, for me anyway), I pretty much leave the colour scheme the way it is. It's big, chunky and very responsive. I think it's worth paying decent money for a good keyboard actually.

strafe-rgb.png

Sparkle1

From my own personal perspective - I feel that they are pants - I have had 2 of their mechanical keyboards die on me in quick succession - the 2nd one I just binned after it started failing. Sour grapes?

Well this I think adds some substance to my statement:

https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/keyboards/mechanical-gaming-keyboards

https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/mice/pc-gaming-mice

Crikey O Riley would you look at all the refurb units on sale? Overpriced mediocrity at best - I personally will be avoiding their peripherals in the future - don't get me wrong, memory, psus, cases I have no issues with whatsoever having purchased and recommended on many occasions.

System Name Monster
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII WiFi
Cooling Corsair H100i V1.0
Memory Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix RX580 OC 8Gb
Storage 250Gb Samsung EVO SSD, 500Gb WD M.2, plus three spinners up to 1.5Tb
Display(s) Samsung C27F591 curved monitor 27" with FreeSync
Case Cooler Master Storm Trooper
Audio Device(s) Supreme FX
Power Supply Corsair RM850X full modular
Mouse AFX LMO216
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB Silent
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores 3DMark 4053 (lower with freesync off)
It's a shame you've had such bad luck @Sparkle1 , so what did you go for in the end?

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel G4400
Motherboard ASUS STRIX
Cooling Deepcool Ice Edge
Memory 8 Gb Team Delta 2
Video Card(s) Radeon R250
Storage Seagate 1 TB, 4Tb and SSD A-Data 128 Gb
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Stock
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse A4Tech X7
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 10 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
corsair keyboard is nice but tai hao keycaps can't really fit on it

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Microsoft Wireless 5000
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
My experience with Corsair keyboards and mice is that they work and are well made. Beyond that, I cannot comment because keyboards and mice are extensions of our own hands. What feels great in my palm or at the end of my fingertips may feel awkward or even painful to you. So you really need to visit your local computer stores and play "touchy-feely" for yourself. Just remember to take some hand-sanitizer with you! :twitch:

I use nothing but wireless keyboards and mice on all my systems and have never had a problem with losing connection - except when the batteries run down. That said, none of mine are Bluetooth, and none are more than 15 feet from the USB dongle.

As for batteries, on my busier computers, they have to be replaced about every 4 - 5 months so this is one place I recommend and use rechargeable batteries. And for the record (knock on forehead/wood) thus far whenever I did lose connectivity due to batteries, simply replacing the batteries immediately restored connectivity - that is, I didn't have to reboot and didn't lose any data. :)

Sparkle1

I don't know whether it could be classed as bad luck my friend - The links that I posted show a worrying (IMHO) number of manufacturer refurbs - now don't get me wrong if I go and spend £30 / $30 on a keyboard - my expectations regarding quality, durability, reliability and generally not crapping out are set accordingly - and I would expect the product to have a comparatively short life span.

On the flip side of that If I am spending £150 / $150 - these expectations would scale commensurately - this is where I feel Corsair peripherals fall short - paying fillet steak prices for a Burger King burger if that makes sense.

I would lump Razer into a similar category - their orignal core products (MICE) were what switched me onto them (Boomslang specifically) - and I can honestly say in the years and several mice since - I haven't bought any other brand. I have however bought a soundcard from them (trousers!) keyboard (even more trousers!).

Status
Not open for further replies.