• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Threadripper with RTX build

aQi

Hello techpowerup.

As per customer’s demand i am and will have to build this pc instead of lga3647.

So here we go...

Processor: Threadripper 2990wx
Motherboard: Asus (recomendation)
Ram: Gskill or Corsair (64gb 3200mhz)
Gpu: 2x GTX2080Ti
Storage: Samsung 970 pro NVME 512gb
Powersupply: Recommendation

I need some advises as per performance parts and vendors.

And definitely price to deal with (lowest)

And ofcorse if someone has these and willing to sale the customer does accept unless the hardware is not abused.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Unless he needs all those cores, a 2950wx costs a lot less and has heaps of cores still, as well as a higher boost clock.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
"As per customers demand" guys.

Just build it and profit. Fools and money will be parted...

But really, this should be going back to the drawing board, it reads as that typical uninformed rich kid PC.

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard Asrock Taichi X370
Cooling NH-C14, with the AM4 mounting kit
Memory G.Skill Kit 16GB DDR4 F4 - 3200 C16D - 16 GTZB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 OC 4 GB
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 850M 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite
Software Ubuntu 19.04 LTS
What would this monster be used for ?

Because 2990Wx is a very poor gaming CPU, and 2x RTX 2080Ti's are going to be used for.... ?

Why are you assuming this build is intended for gaming? Because of the two 2080Ti's? Has it occurred to you this build's requestor has a need for two such GPUs for other reasons?

I'll give you an example: fellow TPUer @xkm1948 uses his 2080Ti for his bioinformatic work.

As the saying goes, "assumption is the mother of all fvck-ups".

EDIT

@ OP:

- be careful with the RAM you end up choosing: make sure it's in whatever board's QVL you end up getting and, even then, odds are you'll have to run it @ lower-then-rated-spec speeds due to it being 64 GB.
- this dude has @ least SEVEN TR builds and AFAIK all of them use AsRock Taichi x399 board. That includes @ least one TR 2990WX. So long as the build's requestor doesn't plan on upgrading the CPU later to one with even more cores (assuming they'll exist) due to possible issues with the VRMs, this board should work quite well.
- no mention of the planned CPU cooling. According to this review, the Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 is the best air cooler for this platform.

Last edited:
Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
You're building this for a customer...but need advice to do so? What kind of company are you running?

Anyway, we need to know the uses for this machine. As was pointed out earlier, unless your buyer can use all the cores and threads, it's a waste of money. It doesnt game as well as their much cheaper counterparts. With sli you want a fast cpu with high clockspeeds....TR isnt that.

Why are you assuming this build is intended for gaming?
Because it's a fair assumption considering how many people game versus uses gpus to crunch at home. I mean, you are right, there are other uses...but there isnt a need to look crooked at someone who suggests gaming...its a primary use.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
"As per customers demand" guys.

Just build it and profit. Fools and money will be parted...

Fool or not, that's not the OP's problem - The customer as it's said is always right so if they have the money, just build it.

But really, this should be going back to the drawing board, it reads as that typical uninformed rich kid PC.

Could well be but again, it's not the OP's problem.
If the customer specifically said "I want this and that" they should get it as long as they pony up for the parts.

The following however would be a gray area:
If the customer said "I want it to do this and that" but the actual parts selection was left up to the OP based on what they expect from the build then I'd have to say once the OP has a list of components for the build go over the parts list with the customer, explain things and the options available per cost of it all and let them make the final decision on what's purchased. In that case the research of it all is on the OP and they should come up with a few variants parts-wise and price-wise of the final build to present to the customer for going over.

This way the OP isn't at fault for what was chosen for it, cost to build or whatever else related to purchasing it all.

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Fool or not, that's not the OP's problem - The customer as it's said is always right so if they have the money, just build it.

If the customer specifically said "I want this and that" they should get it as long as they pony up for the parts.

The following however would be a gray area:
If the customer said "I want it to do this and that" but the actual parts selection was left up to the OP based on what they expect from the build then I'd have to say once the OP has a list of components for the build go over the parts list with the customer, explain things and the options available per cost of it all and let them make the final decision on what's purchased. In that case the research of it all is on the OP and they should come up with a few variants parts-wise and price-wise of the final build to present to the customer for going over.

This way the OP isn't at fault for what was chosen for it, cost to build or whatever else related to purchasing it all.

Absolutely 100% agree but there are examples where good advice is valued highly by customers and is reason to come back. That would certainly apply here if we consider the CPU choice, unless the customer has a very specific use case for it. Its the worst possible choice really at the highest possible cost.

Reactions: aQi

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
Absolutely 100% agree but there are examples where good advice is valued highly by customers and is reason to come back. That would certainly apply here if we consider the CPU choice, unless the customer has a very specific use case for it. Its the worst possible choice really at the highest possible cost.

That's why I also said what was below - If the customer themselves dropped the parts list into the OP's lap and said "Build it" that's certainly not on the OP, he would be doing the job as requested.

If the customer said they had a certain use in mind and wanted it to be something based on a TR build running a 2990 or something similar then that does open up options.

I learned a long time ago that if you present things to the customer and just go over it with them, showing them options that may not be quite as expensive most will at least listen and consider. I also agree to say some of the things may be/are overkill for a given useage then you present something cheaper and not as extreme, again most of the time they will listen.

However you will eventually get the one that will tell you "If I wanted a 24 core I would have said 24 core - I said 32 core and that's what I expect" so.....
If that's the case chances are they already know it's gonna cost and don't really care about the rest as long as they get what they want. That's been my experience with it, some folks just don't care about the cost as long as they get what they want.
That goes right back to "The customer is always right" if so.

You still want to present them with the cost of it all to make sure they understand so you're not blamed if it's not what the customer expected cost-wise.

Since this has kinda gone off topic I'll make these two suggestions.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813119186
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813119026
The Strix is certainly cheaper yet still gives plenty of features to use.
The Alpha is really more of an overclocker's board, fully capable of pushing one yet still has alot of features itself.

If the customer wants it just for features and useability then the Strix is the one.
If they plan on pushing the chip along the way then the Alpha would be it if anything.

Last edited:

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
There are better options than Asus for threadripper especially when it comes to the 2990WX. Would suggest the MSI MEG over it as the VRM is substantially better.

aQi

Okay now that i have read all the post i will definitely want to tell i never built an amd system and there is no channel or distributers over here in my country. Intel is dominant and is always recommended.
Regardless still people buy either used or import hardware.
This build is put forward by a realiable customer Basically deals in H265 encoding. File server and casual gaming.

I have put forward some options but he is not interested iv also wanted him to consider Asus Dominus Extreme+Xeon W3175X for better results over Threadripper. But no he says he wants to settle with it.

This morning i got a call for quad SLI recomendation although Two 2080ti were more then enough to handle his 4k gaming.

I need to know more about the boards ? Asus Zenith Extreme is a better option no ?

I don't think Quad-SLI exists anymore unless it is two (old) dual GPU video cards.

Is the Zenith Extm a better option as in what? What does your customer NEED? You as the seller, need to be asking the person these questions and looking up boards that fit his needs. This is a waste of time for us being a intermediary right now as we have no idea what the client's requirements are. We are 17 posts in and just now know he does encoding and casual gaming. How many SATA ports? M.2? USB 3.1 G2? etc...

Hard to help with such little information...

Last edited:

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
I don't think Quad-SLI exists anymore unless it is two (old) dual GPU video cards.

Better option as in what? What does your customer NEED? You as the seller, need to be asking the person these questions and looking up boards that fit his needs. This is a waste of time for us being a intermediary right now as we have no idea what the client's requirements are. We are 17 posts in and NOW know he does encoding and casual gaming. How many SATA ports? M.2? USB 3.1 G2? etc...

Hard to help without any information...

Even back in the day when Quad SLI was supported it was a big hassle to get working properly. These days even 2 cards in SLI is questionable as a lot of Developers have stopped supporting SLI. Too few gamers use it for Developers to consider it worth their time to bother with anymore.

No doubt. Scaling was typically terrible when it was en vogue. Now... no way would I do that even if it worked. :p

But yeah, OP needs to get himself together here and see what the heck his customer wants. Just buying the highest of high end motherboards isn't the answer... though this is clearly a more money than sense build so that needs to be kept in mind.

Processor Intel Core i9 13900KF
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero EVA Edition
Cooling Asus Ryujin II 360 EVA Edition
Memory 4x16GBs DDR5 6800MHz G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo Series
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Display(s) LG C2 OLED 42" 4K 120Hz HDR G-Sync enabled TV
Case Asus ROG Helios EVA Edition
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1300W
Mouse Asus ROG Keris EVA Edition - Asus ROG Scabbard II EVA Edition
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Scope EVA Edition
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey VR
Software Windows 11 Pro 64bit
Okay now that i have read all the post i will definitely want to tell i never built an amd system and there is no channel or distributers over here in my country. Intel is dominant and is always recommended.
Regardless still people buy either used or import hardware.
This build is put forward by a realiable customer Basically deals in H265 encoding. File server and casual gaming.

I have put forward some options but he is not interested iv also wanted him to consider Asus Dominus Extreme+Xeon W3175X for better results over Threadripper. But no he says he wants to settle with it.

This morning i got a call for quad SLI recomendation although Two 2080ti were more then enough to handle his 4k gaming.

I need to know more about the boards ? Asus Zenith Extreme is a better option no ?

Quad SLI for gaming? Good luck even enabling dual SLI for current games, been waiting for SLI profiles for multiple current games, with no real support from major studios, SLI is going the way of the dodo.

As a 2080 Ti owner, I can tell you one card is enough for maxed out settings gaming at 4K. I wish I could recommend SLI, I've been an advocate for it for many years, but yeah, from personal experience I can't vouch for it anymore.

All my SLI systems run non supported games way worse when I enable two cards, as opposed to using a single card.

Unless you're going for Max profit from this build for your client, you should really do him a favor and advise him against SLI....

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Better yet, direct him to this forum topic and I'll slap him in the face for you. :rolleyes:

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Better yet, direct him to this forum topic and I'll slap him in the face for you. :rolleyes:
Hush, hush, you don't want his customer to find out that his pro pc builder gets build advice on TPU. You might put Aqeel out of business.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Hush, hush, you don't want his customer to find out that his pro pc builder gets build advice on TPU. You might put Aqeel out of business.

They call that 'a company backed by a powerful community' :p

System Name 1.21 gigawatts!
Processor Intel Core i7 6700K
Motherboard MSI Z170A Krait Gaming 3X
Cooling Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Slim with Arctic MX-4
Memory 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3000 MHz
Video Card(s) Palit GTX 1080 Game Rock
Storage Mushkin Triactor 240GB + Toshiba X300 4TB + Team L3 EVO 480GB
Display(s) Philips 237E7QDSB/00 23" FHD AH-IPS
Case Aerocool Aero-1000 white + 4 Arctic F12 PWM Rev.2 fans
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio Boost 3 with Nahimic Audio Enhancer
Power Supply FSP Hydro G 650W
Mouse Cougar 700M eSports white
Keyboard E-Blue Cobra II
Software Windows 8.1 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15: 948 (stock) / 1044 (4,7 GHz) FarCry 5 1080p Ultra: min 100, avg 116, max 133 FPS
It depends what for is this potential customer going to use such PC.

I suspect (if this story is somehow real) that it's some spoiled and rich brat with no hardware knowledge spending dad's or mom's money for a "gaming" PC. Despite this might sound awful to some, but if this is the case, rip him/her off as much as possible. Vayra86 mentioned famous proverb about fool and his money. :D The thing is that usually such individuals don't inform properly prior to purchase and base their knowledge on the most expensive products they can find. Even more, if you try recommending them that eg. TR 2950X + single RTX 2080TI + 32GB RAM or i9 9900X + single RTX 2080 Ti + 32 GB RAM (both of which would be a monster 4K gaming machines) are better and much cheaper solutions, they might think that you want to sc**w them up and you'll have a very hard time convincing them otherwise.
In such case I would recommend Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 1000W PSU and Asus ROG Zenith Extreme MOBO.

However, if this is someone who wants a proper 4K gaming PC and if such individual isn't spoiled like some "famous" YT/insta "influencers", be reasonable and suggest Ryzen TR 2950X (cheaper and faster than i9 9900X), Asrock X399 Phantom Gaming 6, iGame/MSI/Gainward/Palit RTX 2080 Ti, 32 GB G.Skill DDR4 and FSP Hydro G 750W PSU.

Wrong. As a business you have to inform the customer what will not work and why, it's part of the service you provide.

Example: If you go with 4 spare tires (doughnuts) to the tire shop and tell them to install them on your car, they are required to tell you that's a bad idea and if it is even legal (most places is not). After that, they will do what you want, but they informed you. Sometimes they even make you initial a piece of paper that they did so.

H265 encoding cannot use multiple video cards. SLI or not, the encoding will use either the CPU (in which case a dual socket Intel Xeon will be a better option, Intel just works faster in video encoding) or, if he has a software that can do encoding in GPU, will use the hardware nvenc SIP core inside of ONE of those video cards. That SIP core is the same over the whole range of cards, has nothing to do with the other CUDA or RTX cores, so a 2080TI won't encode faster than a 2060 or even a 1660. However, not all video encoding software supports hardware encoding.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_NVENC#Sixth_generation,_Turing_TU10x/TU11x

Mixing "file server" with "casual gaming" is a bad idea. Is that file server working just intermittently?
Also, "casual gaming" does not require one 2080Ti. More less 2 or 4 of those.

I think is just a case of spoiled kid spending other people money (parents).

Last edited: