• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Throttle stop laptop freeze issues

laxus2002

I have a Dell vostro 15-5568 and i unlocked the BIOS of it to undervolt here are the problems that i face now and can i get a fix:

1.I have to factory settings every session to keep my undervolt unlocked.
2. Laptop crashes and BSOD if ac is removed or switched off
3. I did the profile setup "battery and performance" but lucky isn't on my side

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
What CPU do you have and what are your undervolt settings? Any BSOD when undervolting is a good sign that you have set the voltage too low. Most people only test their undervolt when the CPU is fully loaded. Most BSOD problems in laptops happen when the CPU is lightly loaded or idle. You have to increase the voltage until the BSOD problems go away.

Some Asus laptops can relock the undervolt each session. I have not heard about this problem on Dell laptops. Here is a guide that many people have used on their Dell laptops.

laxus2002

What CPU do you have and what are your undervolt settings? Any BSOD when undervolting is a good sign that you have set the voltage too low. Most people only test their undervolt when the CPU is fully loaded. Most BSOD problems in laptops happen when the CPU is lightly loaded or idle. You have to increase the voltage until the BSOD problems go away.

Some Asus laptops can relock the undervolt each session. I have not heard about this problem on Dell laptops. Here is a guide that many people have used on their Dell laptops.

I followed this guide to unlock my bios my settings on load are (core cache "107" gpu and that other gpu around "53")In my battery profile i have not unlocked voltages and i used ts bench to test (no errors) and i didn't get a chance to boot on battery mode bacuse i am always on AC and since the light went out yesterday for half a day i think ill be in trouble if i lost my PS or word files due to light cut
(my battery gpu OC using adus gpu Tweak II gaming mv 12+ "1324 and 3000mhz" when checked in msi i get 12+MV stock idle battery 1189 and 2000mhz tested it using furmark it's stable")

I must have missed somethings ill get the all the screenshots of my tweaks.

i am gonna try saving factory settings to custom and upload the ss

Attachments

• Screenshot (11).png
    Screenshot (11).png
    571.2 KB · Views: 71
  • Screenshot (12).png
    Screenshot (12).png
    566.2 KB · Views: 66
  • Screenshot (13).png
    Screenshot (13).png
    578.1 KB · Views: 60
  • Screenshot (14).png
    Screenshot (14).png
    553 KB · Views: 65
  • Screenshot (16).png
    Screenshot (16).png
    553.8 KB · Views: 55

laxus2002

should i undervolt i gpu and i gpu unslice

The undervolt was too high on battery settings now how do i fix the other issue undervolt gets locked after every restart or shutdhown

unclewebb

should i undervolt i gpu and i gpu unslice
I recommend that you do not undervolt those two voltages. Set them both to an offset of +0.0000. You have a Nvidia GPU. Undervolting the Intel GPU is not that beneficial and this can cause instability.

In my battery profile i have not unlocked voltages
If you unlock the voltage in one profile, you need to unlock the voltage in every profile. If you do not do this, when you change profiles, the CPU will continue using the same offset voltage that it was previously using. That is what your ThrottleStop screenshot shows. Look at the voltage in the FIVR monitoring table. In your battery profile, it is still using -107 mV for the core and the cache and -53 mV for the Intel GPU and iGPU Unslice. You have to specifically tell ThrottleStop what you want it to do or it will do nothing. I recommend using the same offset voltages for both AC and battery power. The voltage is either 100% stable or it is not 100% stable and should be reduced.

Setting the voltage is always a compromise. It is great if you are TS Bench stable when plugged in at -107 mV but you cannot use this undervolt if you are not 100% stable when lightly loaded or idle. Most people with similar U series CPUs are usually stable at -50 mV to -70 mV. Go back to -50 mV and do some testing for a few days. Make sure you are stable before going further to -60 mV or -70 mV.

Your CPU supports Speed Shift Technology but your BIOS is not enabling this. I recommend checking the Speed Shift box in the TPL window. You should see SST in green on the main screen. After you do that, you can check the Speed Shift EPP box on the main screen to control your CPU. An EPP value of 0 tells the CPU to run at full speed regardless of load. An EPP setting of 80 is a good compromise for laptops. This allows the CPU to slow down when lightly loaded but will quickly get up to full speed when needed. This is the purpose of Speed Shift Technology. It improves off idle performance in laptops.

Edit - Just noticed. Increase IccMax for the core and the cache to the maximum, 255.75.

You can set Speed Shift Max to 31 since that is the maximum multiplier that your CPU can use. Setting Speed Shift Max to 255 also accomplishes the same thing.

Last edited:

laxus2002

yeah i get it but what do i about the restart issue(it gets lcoked after every restart

unclewebb

I do not know how to fix the restart issue. Does it still lock the voltage settings when the offset voltages are at +0.0000?

The auto lock might be a new Dell feature. This never used to happen. Are you on the most recent BIOS version?

laxus2002

I do not know how to fix the restart issue. Does it still lock the voltage settings when the offset voltages are at +0.0000?

The auto lock might be a new Dell feature. This never used to happen. Are you on the most recent BIOS version?
i am on 1.15 the latest is 1.16yeah it does locks the slider and greys out all the fivr options