• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Throttle-Stop's "Turn On" button ?

rebcabin

The third button from the left at the bottom of Throttle-Stop's dialog box says "Turn On." However, at least some of Throttle-Stop's functionality seems always to be on. For instance, I can change the max attainable GHz of my CPU, as revealed in the Task Manager / Performance display, by toggling the checkbox labeled "Disable Turbo" in Throttle-Stop, and that functionality seems to work whether the "Turn On" button has been pressed or not. The only thing I found different is the message in the title bar. If "Turn On" hasn't been pressed, then the title bar at the top of Throttle-Stop's dialog box says "TS 8.70 - Monitoring." If "Turn On" has been pressed, then the title bar says "Throttle Stop 8.70."

So I'm curious: what does the "Turn On" button do? I know, it turns on throttle stop :) But what functionality actually gets turned on and off with that button?

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
In the early days of development, some users were scared to give ThrottleStop a try so it was a way to get the timid to try ThrottleStop.

The Turn On button only controls 3 things. Clock Modulation, Chipset Clock Modulation and Set Multiplier. On many recent CPUs, you do not need to use any of these ThrottleStop features. For many users, the Turn On / Turn Off button is obsolete so it might be removed someday.

mik

System Name system
Processor 5950x
Motherboard msi mpg b550i itx
Cooling alf ii 280
Memory BL2K32G36C16U4B Crucial Ballistix 64GB Kit (2 x 32GB) DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) 3080
Storage 960 evo 500gb
Display(s) MG279Q
Case nr200
Audio Device(s) enog pro dac, hd560s
Power Supply sf750
Keyboard plum84
Software 10pro|64bit
In the early days of development, some users were scared to give ThrottleStop a try so it was a way to get the timid to try ThrottleStop.

The Turn On button only controls 3 things. Clock Modulation, Chipset Clock Modulation and Set Multiplier. On many recent CPUs, you do not need to use any of these ThrottleStop features. For many users, the Turn On / Turn Off button is obsolete so it might be removed someday.
Then the color of ThrottleStop's icon in taskbar does not matter?

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
It only matters if you are using Clock Modulation, Chipset Clock Modulation or the Set Multiplier feature.

Reactions: mik
I want a mod that lets me add buttons to my wife .... at this point, I'd really like a Mute button.