• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ThrottleStop - 10th gen Intel. TPL PL2 Limiting is enough to keep cool ?

Hazaskull

First of all a big thank you to unclewebb for making ThrottleStop and sharing it with the world!

I have recently bought an HP Omen 25L desktop and while I'm very happy with it, it also suffers the burden of having to cool a 10th gen intel 10700F CPU.
I found that these new CPU's consume power like mad (150W+ loads happen very easily and apparently my 10700F can even hit over 200 Watts!).
With the default air cooler this inevitably leads to thermal throttling (and a VERY loud fan).

Now I know people will tell me to just install a better cooler but the fact of the matter is that I am not looking to run at permanent full boost (and the mainboard and locked CPU would probably not support it anyway).
The stock cooler has no problem with the normal 65W TDP under sustained load (... Flight Simulator...) so it's really fine with me.

My question though: I seem to have successfully limited the short term boost power to about 100W (CoreTemp says I'm hovering around 95) using the TPL plugin. Running the TS bench it keeps the CPU at 95 Watts for the expected 28 seconds until it drops to PL1 (65W for the 10700). No thermal throttling happens at any point.

Am I right in assuming that:

1. If I'm just looking to lower the idiotic 224 Watts default PL2-setting then setting this limit in TPL is sufficient ?
2. That this is actually the preferred method because it lets the CPU handle its boosting while I only have to find out how much Wattage my cooler can handle for 30 seconds ?

It seems to me that this would indeed be my ideal method and really set-and-forget (as I have no interest in messing with voltages and I believe Intel nowadays prevents that anyway)

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on the matter!

unclewebb

RealTemp Author
Reducing the turbo power limits is the best way to handle too much CPU and not enough cooling. This will sacrifice maximum full load performance. If you are OK with that then set the turbo power limits to whatever works best for you.

Some users prefer to reduce the turbo ratio limits which reduces the CPU speed. I disagree with this method because this reduces CPU performance all of the time. Reducing the turbo power limits only reduces CPU performance when the CPU is heavily loaded. That is the problem you are having so adjusting the power limits is the best way to solve it.

Someday I will get around to adding power limits for each profile to ThrottleStop. This would be a useful feature for your problem so you could easily switch between full power and reduced power with a simple profile change.

System Name The de-ploughminator
Processor I7 8700K @ 5.1Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5
Cooling Custom Watercooling
Memory 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Neo 3600mhz 15-15-15-30
Video Card(s) RTX 2080 Ti + Heatkiller IV wb
Storage Plextor 512GB nvme SSD
Display(s) LG 34GN850-B
Case Lian Li 011D Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Creative AE-5
Power Supply Corsair RM1000
To avoid the sudden spin up/down of the stock CPU fan I would just limit to PL2 to 65W.
I have not found a situation where the higher PL2 make any difference; opening programs, playing games or rendering for 28 seconds ?
If you find your peak temperature is high or the fan make noticeable spin up/down noise, just reduce the PL2 further

Hazaskull

Thank you for the fast response!
Good to hear that I took the right path.
TS makes it easy to do.

I expect that this “problem” is common with off the shelf PC’s. I think most high volume brands use small coolers that won’t support much more than the “official TDP number” and wasn’t expecting miracles

I still have a pretty nice boost for 30 seconds without the thing burning down the house so it’s fine like this.

Note: TS benchmark is now somewhat slower (but not terribly so) than without the limit but no more fan-noise and the CPU stays well clear of PROCHOT. Im not chasing the ultimate performance here so this is a good compromise for me.

ThrottleStop is true to its name

To avoid the sudden spin up/down of the stock CPU fan I would just limit to PL2 to 65W.
I have not found a situation where the higher PL2 make any difference; opening programs, playing games or rendering for 28 seconds ?
If you find your peak temperature is high or the fan make noticeable spin up/down noise, just reduce the PL2 further
I agree that the usefulness of PL2 is probably marginal for simulator type gaming but I do like the idea that it allows for 30 second bursts at a configurable power level. With 100W my fan actually hardly spins up. It seems the heat sink has enough capacity to store 30 seconds of that kind of heat. 150+ was a bit too much though !
As long as I can keep it from throttling and can maintain a decent sound level I feel I am having the best of both worlds (even if indeed I might not notice much of a difference between a 65 or 95w of PL2 ;)

Last edited: