• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ThrottleStop - Constant red edp other

RaymanDK

Hi,

I've used Throttlestop for years and it just works. Thank you, UncleWebb.
Recently I've noticed that it stopped working, but the PL1 and PL2 are not the issue here (yellow), but what limits me is "EDP Other" (Red) in CORE, GPU, and RING. My CPU will boost up to about 17W but nothing else. It usually would let me run it as high as I wanted (40W) until it crashes due to temperature. I downgraded my BIOS just in case since the newest BIOS blocks Undervoltage from being applied. I've tried removing IDPT and having it installed but nothing changes.

Laptop:
XPS 13 9370
I7-8550U
Windows 10 V2004 - Memory integrity is turned OFF
ThrottleStop 9.2/9.2.2

Attachments

• FIVR.png
    FIVR.png
    48.1 KB · Views: 2,163
  • Limit Reasons.png
    Limit Reasons.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 2,603
  • TPL.png
    TPL.png
    14.7 KB · Views: 2,540
  • Main.png
    Main.png
    27.6 KB · Views: 2,531
Last edited:

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
EDP OTHER in red across all 3 domains is usually caused by the PP0 Current Limit being set too low. Your screenshots show that the Lock box is checked and it is set to 0. If this is set to 0 and it is not locked, that is usually OK. Do you remember if you checked the Lock option in ThrottleStop or perhaps the BIOS has locked this register? Having the PP0 Current Limit locked at 0 might be the source of your throttling problem.

I would exit ThrottleStop, delete the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file and completely shutdown. Hold the Shift key down on your keyboard when selecting the Windows Shut Down menu option. When you start back up and run ThrottleStop, it will create a new ThrottleStop.INI configuration file. Immediately open the TPL window and see if this is option is Locked or not. If it is not locked, set it to 0 or 100. There is rarely a situation where this register needs to be locked. If you do have a need to lock this, better to lock it at 100 than lock it at 0.

Your CPU cannot be overclocked so you might as well use the default turbo ratios, 40, 40, 37, 37. The CPU ignores anything beyond this.

No need to have the turbo time limits set to 3,670,016 seconds. The default 28 seconds is more than enough. If you use values way outside the normal range, the CPU might decide to ignore your request. I would also avoid checking the TDP Level Control option. A setting of 0 is usually the default value.

The PP0 Power Limit is also rarely used or set by the BIOS. When you delete the config file and go back to default settings, avoid changing things in ThrottleStop unless you know exactly what each change does. Lots of guides recommend making random adjustments without providing any proof that an adjustment will improve performance.

RaymanDK

Thank you for getting back to me.

I reset ThrottleStop following your instructions and the PP0 is auto-locked at 0 so that wasn't me. It has always been that way. All the other settings just worked even though most are placebo, haha.

It still isn't working though. I have a feeling it has something to do with either IDPT or the "Disable and lock Turbo Power Limits" maybe not applying like it used to? I re-downloaded the file when I rebooted but still nothing.

Attachments

• Clean TPL.png
    Clean TPL.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 1,352

unclewebb

Disable and lock Turbo Power Limits
When you first boot up and run ThrottleStop with no ThrottleStop.INI config file, this item is not checked so your problem should not have anything to do with this setting.

On some Dell laptops, when you install and try to go back to the previous BIOS, everything may not be exactly the same. Some settings from the new BIOS can be maintained even though you installed the previous BIOS version. Look in your BIOS for a Reset to Factory option.

It might be a problem with the IDPT driver. It could set the Lock bit on this register as you are booting up.

RaymanDK

Bios has been factory reset and that fixed the Undervoltage not being applied. So that isn't it. Even tried really old BIOS versions to no avail.

I tried removing and blocking IDPT for being installed but that didn't work. I just completely removed it again.

EDIT:
Here's something odd. I enabled Speedshift at 128 and it would boost up a little more with TS Bench to about 23W. With games and CPU-Z, it'll boost to only 15W.
If I change Speedshift to 0 like I always had it, it would go back to 17W in TS Bench and 11W for games and CPU-Z.

But still won't listen to anything I do above 17W in PL and it's still red EDP Other

Usually enabling "Disable and lock Turbo Power Limits" fix all my problems but now it won't listen. Doesn't matter if it's checked or not. With or without IDPT.

Attachments

• Speedshift 128 TS Bench.png
    Speedshift 128 TS Bench.png
    28.1 KB · Views: 789
  • CPU-Z 128.png
    CPU-Z 128.png
    104.7 KB · Views: 814
  • TS bench 128 with limit reasons.png
    TS bench 128 with limit reasons.png
    127.3 KB · Views: 817
Last edited:

unclewebb

Try setting the Windows power plan back to Balanced. Do not check this option in ThrottleStop and do not set it to High Performance. Your computer uses Speed Shift Technology to control the CPU speed so I do not think you need to use this option.

Completely shut down your computer by holding the Shift key on the keyboard and selecting the Windows Shut Down menu option.

It is possible that Dell knows about the ThrottleStop Disable and Lock trick. They can easily decide to set and lock this register first before ThrottleStop has access to it. If it is already locked, ThrottleStop cannot do anything so the Disable and Lock feature will no longer work.

Your throttling is because the current limit is set too low. Different stress tests that use the AVX instructions will need more current so your CPU will throttle at a lower power level. The TS Bench test does not use AVX instructions. Perhaps it is allowed to run faster when the current limit is at a fixed value.

There are multiple power and current limits that are duplicated. Some of these are set and controlled internally by the EC. ThrottleStop does not have access to them. If a sensor craps out, it might be setting a permanent low current value and triggering constant throttling.

RaymanDK

If I disable High performance from Throttlestop I am stuck at 17W no matter what. The High performance with speedshift at 128 lets me get to 23W in TS Bench.

My battery recently took a crap but it still worked plugged it. Could it be battery related even though I'm plugged into the wall?

unclewebb

Could it be battery related
It could definitely be battery related. Some laptops depend on having a functional battery. Your laptop might switch to lower power limits when a battery is not found or if it is not working correctly.

ThrottleStop has not changed so it must be something on your side that has changed. The battery makes sense.

RaymanDK

I'll order a new one and see if it fixes the problem. I'll update my post when I get it in the mail. I hope it's this simple even though I feel awful for wasting your time on this matter.

We can say EDP Other can be affected by the battery's health and how it might kneecap the power limits. Maybe put that somewhere in the notes for people in the future.

unclewebb

It is never a waste of time. I am as interested as you in getting this problem solved. Dell uses quite a few schemes to manage their laptops based on battery and power adapter status. When a sensor on their power adapters goes bad, it can cause throttling down to 800 MHz or worse. At least your laptop is still usable. Let me know if you find a solution.

manningus

Hello Unclewebb, you helped me a lot with different machine, now i have Dell XPS 15 9500 so thats why i write to this "XPS" thread. Please what do u think about my settings? Thanks !

PS:In other profiles i have much less turbo ratio and its better, no yellow or red fields but i just would ike to fix this in higher ratios

Attachments

• 2022-12-02_21-26-47.png
    2022-12-02_21-26-47.png
    269.3 KB · Views: 327

unclewebb

In the TPL window, try setting Power Limit 4 to a value of 0.

In the FIVR window, set IccMax for both the core and the cache to the maximum, 255.75. That might help with the EDP OTHER throttling issues.

With a Dell XPS, it might not be possible to fix some throttling problems. They usually have beautiful screens but I would never buy an XPS. Too many random throttling issues.

Turn on the Log File option and go play a game for 15 minutes or do some testing. Attach a log file so I can see how your computer runs.

manningus

I changed settings you recommanded and its MUCH better, no yellow or red in idle works much better. I did some TS Bench and there are results in attach.

Btw you are right with XPS line, too fancy machine with no ports, i ll jump back to precision 75XX line when my local "outlet" got some :)

thanks for your time.

Attachments

• 2022-12-03.txt
    162.9 KB · Views: 113

THGisop

helo uncle webb
I also have this same issue
how to fix that i am not able to plese help me
my gaming performance is so down
anything more info need just write

1685339059815.png

unclewebb

If the PP0 Current Limit is set too low, it can cause EDP OTHER throttling across all three domains.
Try setting the PP0 Current Limit to 0 to disable it. You can also set this limit sky high, 1023.

1685341707692.png

Post a screenshot of the FIVR window if you need more help.

THGisop

thanks that works but i am not able to set my speed to 28 then my temps goes very high like 99 and 100
as i know i am not able to acess fiver
i have tryed everything to do but not working
1685346312190.png
1685346278536.png

ProgUn1corn

Hi, I'm using a Dell 7320 Detachable and I'm experiencing this now. When plugged to AC, everything works fine and CPU is working as it should, however when unplugged, almost within a second it will lock to 0.5-0.6ghz with EDP Other all red. These are my settings, I couldn't find a reason why, only unplugged. And sometimes this won't happen, but it happens 8/10 times which is driving me nuts. FIVR is locked because 11th gen and Dell bios. Could someone help me?

This are the settings I'm using, as you can see when plugged, it's totally normal, it can run at 28.9w at 3.4ghz, with slight EDP Other limits but I guess it's ok.
1685349562818.png

1685349693699.png

However when unplugged, it absolutely stucked to 0.5-0.6ghz whatsoever, and all EDP Others are flashing red violently. Strangly it's not happening everytime, but quite often that 8/10 times. When it doesn't happen, CPU is still kinda suck at just above 1.5ghz. I've read somewhere else said it's maybe a battery problem, but everything Dell checked is good and battery is healthy (at least according to report)
1685349913367.png

1685349934917.png

Attachments

• 1685349577854.png
    1685349577854.png
    55.2 KB · Views: 72

unclewebb

i have tried everything
It is possible that a BIOS update has disabled all of the FIVR controls. Make sure VBS is completely disabled and core isolation memory integrity is disabled. There is a link in my signature that explains what needs to be turned off so ThrottleStop can access your CPU.

Could someone help me?
No one can help you. Dell is probably using an embedded controller (EC) that sets a very low current limit as soon as you switch to battery power. This protects the battery but performance is terrible. Dumb ideas like this are why I do not recommend buying Dell laptops or tablets. There are too many throttling problems that can no longer be fixed.

With Intel's decision to remove FIVR control from 11th Gen G7 CPUs, there is nothing that ThrottleStop can do to try and fix this problem. Any device that only runs at 550 MHz in 2023 is shameful.

Do not check Sync MMIO when MMIO Lock is checked.

ProgUn1corn

It is possible that a BIOS update has disabled all of the FIVR controls. Make sure VBS is completely disabled and core isolation memory integrity is disabled. There is a link in my signature that explains what needs to be turned off so ThrottleStop can access your CPU.

No one can help you. Dell is probably using an embedded controller (EC) that sets a very low current limit as soon as you switch to battery power. This protects the battery but performance is terrible. Dumb ideas like this are why I do not recommend buying Dell laptops or tablets. There are too many throttling problems that can no longer be fixed.

With Intel's decision to remove FIVR control from 11th Gen G7 CPUs, there is nothing that ThrottleStop can do to try and fix this problem. Any device that only runs at 550 MHz in 2023 is shameful.

Thank you, I've decided to sell it. This is absolutely unacceptable, with no one saying there's the problem. I guess their target is fine for 550mhz, but not for me.

unclewebb

This is absolutely unacceptable
I wish more consumers were smart enough to diagnose these throttling problems that are caused by poor design. Laptop and tablet review sites should do consumers a favor by posting a screenshot of Limit Reasons with EDP OTHER lighting up like a Christmas tree. It is difficult to find any properly functioning mobile device that can live up to its specs, especially when running on battery power.

I have had good luck with Lenovo but only after turning off all of their throttling schemes. Do lots of testing the day you buy anything and be prepared to return it if it is junk.

ProgUn1corn

Yeah, absolutely. Have no way to know if the laptop performs good or not on those review sites with no information on these throttling monitors. I personally have 10th gen Dell XPS that still can let you undervolt, that laptop worked fine without strange throttling so I decided to give Dell another try, but it turns out very bad lol. So far I've had very good experience with MSI, as they have advanced BIOS that unlocked everything and there's no random throttling, only thermal and power which is totally normal on a laptop. But their suite app is pretty junk as well, I haven't use them for a long time as I control everything with throttlestop now. Thanks again for your amazing software.

System Name Dell Latitude 5500
Processor i7-8665U
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Multi-core) : 4534
Dumb ideas like this are why I do not recommend buying Dell laptops or tablets.
Dell is only good at providing the thinnest slices of metal to cool your CPU, adding thermal power limits and removing headphone jacks from newer laptops.

THGisop

Bro i have tried to disable vbs but can't i have done everything