• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ThrottleStop & Core Isolation

HeisenPad

Hello all,

I haven't found a place where one can submit bug reports / feature requests regarding ThrottleStop (I'll happily delete this post if there is one).

Several users on this forum have run into the issue that ThrottleStop does not start when Windows 10's Core Isolation feature is turned on. Based on my looking into this, the solution would be for ThrottleStop's WinRing*.dll binaries to be signed. The main ThrottleStop executable as well as the drivers, WinRing*.sys, are signed with keys that chain up to trusted roots, but the DLL's are not.

Signing the DLL's should allow ThrottleStop to operate with Core Isolation on. This is evidenced by attempting to launch ThrottleStop with Core Isolation on, then looking in Event Viewer, under Windows Logs -> System, where the source is the Service Control Manager, event ID 7000. This shows:

The WinRing0_1_2_0 service failed to start due to the following error:
Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file.

Since the main executable and the SYS files are signed, the only files left that aren't signed and which could in turn cause this problem, are the DLL's.

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Thanks for the heads up. WinRing0 has been end of life for the last decade so there is no chance that it will be updated to support the Windows 10 Core Isolation feature.

ThrottleStop is freeware. It generates zero revenue so there is no money in the budget to spend on signing the DLL's.

Users that really need to run ThrottleStop will be forced to run with Core Isolation turned off or they will have to switch to Intel XTU. :(