• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

throttlestop dead on windows 11

validate

od1n0

I think that's the reason: https://plundervolt.com/
yes it is same reason because dell locked fivr register by default under bios setting.

Strange, it doesn't make sense even if I was right
registermsr.png

Last edited:

jhigh2000

New update: I used https://github.com/Mattiwatti/EfiGuard's Loader (modified a little bit for compatibility with PowerMonkey) with PowerMonkey (used -90 CPU Cache + CPU Core + -40 GT Uncore and GT Unslice), and it works without Secure Boot + S3 sleep.

Used https://github.com/Mattiwatti/EfiGuard/issues/2#issuecomment-478998015 to add UEFI entry for Loader.
Files: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1EdZvptKrud9tCpU2L58V9NgugjTR41zz?usp=sharing
Thank you for experimenting with PowerMonkey. Would you be willing to build another version of PowerMonkey.efi with *only* -90 CPU Core and -90 CPU Cache?

Edit: I see from your earlier post that was your V1 version with just Core/Cache?

Last edited:

validate

Thank you for experimenting with PowerMonkey. Would you be willing to build another version of PowerMonkey.efi with *only* -90 CPU Core and -90 CPU Cache?

Edit: I see from your earlier post that was your V1 version with just Core/Cache?
First version is -90 CPU and Cache exactly. Also I’ll make a new thread about introducing the tool, Just use that PowerMonkey efi with newly introduced Loader efi.

jhigh2000

First version is -90 CPU and Cache exactly. Also I’ll make a new thread about introducing the tool, Just use that PowerMonkey efi with newly introduced Loader efi.
Which CPU(s) have you had luck with so far? My Core i9-9980HK is stable with pre-Windows11 ThrottleStop undervolt at -125 cpu/cache, but loading loading -90 PowerMonkey.efi from an EFI shell freezes at the programming screen.

validate

Which CPU(s) have you had luck with so far? My Core i9-9980HK is stable with pre-Windows11 ThrottleStop undervolt at -125 cpu/cache, but loading loading -90 PowerMonkey.efi from an EFI shell freezes at the programming screen.
I’m using i5 8265U, and I was using -95 CPU Core-Cache and -45 GPU and GPU Unslice before. Is shell freezes even if you press ESC?

Also you make sure that you set Loader.efi as an entry point, not PowerMonkey.efi. Loader.efi finds PowerMonkey.efi automatically, as it is hardcoded by me in the efi file directly. Put these efi files to (your EFI disk letter):/EFI/BOOT/, and set Loader.efi as a first bootable point from UEFI Shell. Loader also finds your Windows Boot Manager and boots into it.

jhigh2000

I’m using i5 8265U, and I was using -95 CPU Core-Cache and -45 GPU and GPU Unslice before. Is shell freezes even if you press ESC?

Also you make sure that you set Loader.efi as an entry point, not PowerMonkey.efi. Loader.efi finds PowerMonkey.efi automatically, as it is hardcoded by me in the efi file directly. Put these efi files to (your EFI disk letter):/EFI/BOOT/, and set Loader.efi as a first bootable point from UEFI Shell. Loader also finds your Windows Boot Manager and boots into it.
No, I can ESC out of it during the 3 second window. PowerMonkey freezes on programming the voltage offsets.

Edit: Tried with Loader.efi as the entry point. Same result. PowerMonkey freezes on on programming. Sorry for the blurry photo.

1634488554511.png

Last edited:

validate

No, I can ESC out of it during the 3 second window. PowerMonkey freezes on programming the voltage offsets.
Actually, I don’t know why it causes, but I will create a file with -5 mV for CPU + cache only, just for you to test. In addition, I’ll create a new thread for the tool, and compiling processes, maybe a little helper script for compile quickly, etc.

Edit: Tried with Loader.efi as the entry point. Same result. PowerMonkey freezes on on programming. Sorry for the blurry photo.

View attachment 221206
How many boot entries you have? If there were PowerMonkey.efi and Loader.efi separate, delete PowerMonkey one.

jhigh2000

Actually, I don’t know why it causes, but I will create a file with -5 mV for CPU + cache only, just for you to test. In addition, I’ll create a new thread for the tool, and compiling processes, maybe a little helper script for compile quickly, etc.

How many boot entries you have? If there were PowerMonkey.efi and Loader.efi separate, delete PowerMonkey one.
Thank you - that will be a good test. I have just the single Loader.efi entry.

Terse

I've upgraded, downgraded, and upgraded over the past couple of days. I found that WSL caused throttlestop to become haywire, something to do with virtualization, I'm on the beta channel and I can still undervolt.

validate

Thank you for making the custom file. Unfortunately PowerMonkey still locks hard during programming. ☹️
Oh, then it is not something about the value. Is PowerMonkey still freezing while booting via external USB without any external custom entry? PowerMonkey just basically writes proper values to given MSRs.

od1n0

I've upgraded, downgraded, and upgraded over the past couple of days. I found that WSL caused throttlestop to become haywire, something to do with virtualization, I'm on the beta channel and I can still undervolt.
bvs (base virtual support) in release version (build 10.0.22000) denied access to msr registry to undervolt cpu. with hypervisor disabled undervolt work.

validate

Yes, exactly. I tried that scenario. Freezing as soon as programming starts.
Got it. Then, please create an issue on PowerMonkey repo about the indicent if you can. I’m sure that the configuration is not flawed, as it works flawlessly for me. Maybe there is something that should be implemented for your specific CPU, I don’t know.

Actually, when you activate WSL2, Virtual Machine Platform should be activated. This feature enables VBS and VBS blocks accessing specific MSRs via software. You cannot disable VBS even if you specifically declare with Group Policy. VBS is the blocker.

jhigh2000

Got it. Then, please create an issue on PowerMonkey repo about the indicent if you can. I’m sure that the configuration is not flawed, as it works flawlessly for me. Maybe there is something that should be implemented for your specific CPU, I don’t know.
Issue created. Please let me know if there is any additional information that you think would be useful to provide.

validate

Issue created. Please let me know if there is any additional information that you think would be useful to provide.
Checked. It's perfectly fine at the moment. Hope it's gonna be solved as soon as possible.

1634556147579.png

@unclewebb Interestingly ThrottleStop says "Locked" even Overclocking Lock is disabled when using PowerMonkey. They are unlocked but cannot be accessed as expected without PowerMonkey (they are all VBS enabled). Reporting for your info.

Lemon7Prime

New update: I used https://github.com/Mattiwatti/EfiGuard's Loader (modified a little bit for compatibility with PowerMonkey) with PowerMonkey (used -90 CPU Cache + CPU Core + -40 GT Uncore and GT Unslice), and it works without Secure Boot + S3 sleep.

Used https://github.com/Mattiwatti/EfiGuard/issues/2#issuecomment-478998015 to add UEFI entry for Loader.
Files: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1EdZvptKrud9tCpU2L58V9NgugjTR41zz?usp=sharing
Many thanks for your post, this method work correctly on my laptop when i use the wsl_andriod.

validate

Many thanks for your post, this method work correctly on my laptop when i use the wsl_andriod.
Yes it has been working flawlessly for a week for me. I’ll also create a documentation for compiling processes etc. Don’t have a time for now :/

validate

Yes, exactly. I tried that scenario. Freezing as soon as programming starts.
I did change something, maybe that works for your particular case. Could you try this EFI with the same Loader please? -90mV CPU + -40mV iGPU there.

I'm so sorry that I cannot create a tutorial for building + deploying these EFI files. I have a busy week :/