• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Throttlestop does not work on HP elitebook x360 1040 G6

zugang

Hi @all,

i tried to use Throttlestop with HP elitebook x360 1040 G6, but it doesn't work. I can't undervolt cpu for reducing Temperature.

Does anybody know, why it is not working? I added some pictures. There you can see, that the measured voltage is not equal to set voltage.

Attachments

• Throttlestop.JPG
    Throttlestop.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 511
  • throttstop_mainSettings.JPG
    throttstop_mainSettings.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 487

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Do a search for Plundervolt. This latest security vulnerability has forced Intel to disable CPU voltage control. By setting one specific bit in the CPU during boot up, no more voltage adjustments while in Windows.

A sad day for all Intel laptop owners. No more turbo ratio adjustments either when this bit is set. HP seems to be the first one installing this, either through a bios update or a micro code update. Intel created this update so unless you block updates, everyone, sooner or later will get this.

Desktop boards typically have their own voltage control so should be safe, for the moment.

To go back to a previous microcode version, try replacing the file, mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll with an older version to get voltage control back. After you replace this file, reboot and look in the FIVR window on the right hand side. Beside the PowerCut feature it will show you what microcode version the CPU is currently using.

You can find this microcode update file in this folder

C:\Windows\System32

If the microcode update is baked into the bios, you will not be able to go back to the previous microcode version using this trick. Instead, you will need to try and find and install the previous bios version.

Last edited:

zugang

okay...that sounds not good!
I just wanted to reduce fan noise with throttlestop. Is there another way to reduce fan noise or temperature of notebook?

alejo099

Same problem here, Elitebook x360 g5 1040. Brand new and disappointed with the annoying persistent fan noise (very high pitched) and overall temps. Can't believe the most expensive laptop at HP is so poorly engineered. My 2 year old asus zenbook UX430un -with a worse cpu performs- 20% better without fans being on all the time (No more HP for me. ). Tried finding my own solution for the elitebook via throttlestop but no dice.

My temporal solution was using notebookfancontrol, and load the Elitebook Folio 1040 G1 profile. (Tried many and this profile seems to be working). Fan won't come on until its very hot (critical), then its a couple of seconds of very loud fan and again quiet. Not ideal for long term laptop lifespan, but willing to risk it instead of the mosquito like sound produced by the fans.