• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[Throttlestop] Error creating service: The specified service already exists

yb-ressap

Hi,

Lately, whenever I start Throttlestop, this message pops up:
"Error creating service: The specified service already exists"

No, there is no Throttlestop task running in the Task Manager prior to this message.

Also, Throttlestop has been misbehaving lately. Sometimes, it will terminate the task on its own.
Other times, Turbo Boost Limits in Throttlestop won't stick-- they were sticking before.

I did not update any drivers or BIOS in months.
I only updated Windows 10 to 1909 version.

Running Lenovo Y540 i7 9750H.
Throttlestop 8.70.6.

I tried deleting the Config file and resetting Throttlestop; didn't work.
I tried the 8.74 version-- same problem.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
"Error creating service: The specified service already exists"
This happens if you have some other software running on your computer that is using the same RwDrv.sys driver. If you do not use the FIVR - Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits feature, this error will go away. That is the only ThrottleStop feature that uses this driver.

I think it might be Lenovo Vantage that will set its own turbo power limits. Do you have any Lenovo specific software installed? I think their software also causes the above problem.

Sometimes, it will terminate the task on its own.
Are you using the Task Scheduler to start ThrottleStop? If you follow the Task Scheduler Guide, this will not happen.

By default, there are options in the Task Scheduler that appear to be inactive but are actually active. A grayed out option in the Task Scheduler is still active. You have to clear these options. Follow the guide.

yb-ressap

Thanks for the reply, unclewebb.

Yes, I'm using "Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits" feature.

Now that you mention it, Lenovo Vantage is the only software that has been upgrading/updating itself despite disabling auto updates.
Probably, Lenovo are being a pain with the latest update of this software.

I only use the "Battery Conservation Mode" via Vantage. I can't stop battery from charging to 100% without it. I guess there's no way around it.
One has to go. I'll uncheck the "Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits" feature.

I am using Task Scheduler. Yes, a couple of grayed out options were checked.

I will try your solutions and test for a while before coming back with the result.

Thanks

yb-ressap

Thanks, @unclewebb

I got rid of the message. The task has been running without unexpected terminations.

Maybe I'll try downgrading Lenovo Vantage, and blocking it via Firewall.