• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ThrottleStop has many errors

Muffinized

ok so i use a macbook pro 16 inch with i9 9880h, 32gb ram, and radeon pro 5500m 8gb. in throttlestop, it shows that core has THERMAL, VR CURRENT, and EDP OTHER. in gpu, theres nothing. in RING, there is edp other. both of the EDP OTHER both flashes red when im just typing and doing productivity work, and when i have a game open AT 720P, they both go permanently red. here are some screenshots.

throttlestop:
1600429126194.png

task manager:

1600429147662.png

and taskmgr performance tab:
1600429171236.png

all i did is this:
1600429383748.png

somebody please help me :<

edit: now bd prochot is also in Limit Reasons, and is perm red
1600429338265.png

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Things lighting up in red in Limit Reasons are not errors. It is informing you of the reason or reasons why your CPU is not running at its full rated speed.

Why is Clock Mod checked and set to 62.5%? That was a lousy throttling method 20 years ago. You have a modern CPU. If you need to slow your Apple down due to poor cooling, there are better ways to accomplish that. I would set Clock Mod back to 100.0% and I would not check or use that option.

If slowing your CPU down is your goal, try lowering the turbo power limits in the TPL window. You can also reduce the Speed Shift Max value in the TPL window or reduce the Turbo Ratio Limits in the FIVR window if these are not locked. Many newer computers are locking the Turbo Ratios so reducing Speed Shift Max might be your only option.

Your computer has Speed Shift Technology (SST) enabled. When this is enabled, the Set Multiplier function does not work. It is another old school CPU control method that has been replaced.

BD PROCHOT in red means some other sensor within your computer is sending a throttling signal to your CPU. This does not mean the CPU itself is overheating. I am not familiar with the Macbook Pro so I have no idea what sensor this could be. If you clear the BD PROCHOT box in ThrottleStop, that will tell your CPU to ignore these throttling messages. Without knowing what is triggering these sensors, I cannot recommend doing this.

EDP OTHER throttling is usually caused by the current limits being set too low. Try increasing the PP0 Current Limit or the FIVR IccMax current limits.

Post some pictures of ThrottleStop if you need help.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
That Java process is using a lot of GPU. I hope you know what it is... if it's not a game or something could be malware. /OT commentary.

Muffinized

Java process is minecraft

Things lighting up in red in Limit Reasons are not errors. It is informing you of the reason or reasons why your CPU is not running at its full rated speed.

Why is Clock Mod checked and set to 62.5%? That was a lousy throttling method 20 years ago. You have a modern CPU. If you need to slow your Apple down due to poor cooling, there are better ways to accomplish that. I would set Clock Mod back to 100.0% and I would not check or use that option.

If slowing your CPU down is your goal, try lowering the turbo power limits in the TPL window. You can also reduce the Speed Shift Max value in the TPL window or reduce the Turbo Ratio Limits in the FIVR window if these are not locked. Many newer computers are locking the Turbo Ratios so reducing Speed Shift Max might be your only option.

Your computer has Speed Shift Technology (SST) enabled. When this is enabled, the Set Multiplier function does not work. It is another old school CPU control method that has been replaced.

BD PROCHOT in red means some other sensor within your computer is sending a throttling signal to your CPU. This does not mean the CPU itself is overheating. I am not familiar with the Macbook Pro so I have no idea what sensor this could be. If you clear the BD PROCHOT box in ThrottleStop, that will tell your CPU to ignore these throttling messages. Without knowing what is triggering these sensors, I cannot recommend doing this.

EDP OTHER throttling is usually caused by the current limits being set too low. Try increasing the PP0 Current Limit or the FIVR IccMax current limits.

Post some pictures of ThrottleStop if you need help.
if I unchecked prochot, after sometime, it crashes my laptop cuz it overheats at 98 degrees

unclewebb

Sounds like your Macbook has inadequate cooling. An 8 core 9880H is too much CPU for that chassis.

What are your turbo power limits set to? Try reducing them to see if you can keep your CPU at a max in the 90°C to 95°C range. The default TDP for a 9880H is 45W. When these CPUs are fully loaded they can run at close to 100W but not if the cooling system cannot keep up.

Have a look in the Options window. Is the PROCHOT Offset feature locked? Do you see a lock icon near that feature on the right hand side? If this is not locked, the easy way to control your CPU's maximum temperature is by adjusting the PROCHOT Offset value. Set this to 10 and your CPU will rarely exceed 90°C (100°C - 10). It will start thermal throttling at this temperature so it does not get too hot and crash.

Muffinized

i usually have my cpu locked at 3.00GHZ with quickcpu cuz i cant do that with throttlestop

btw @unclewebb do you know what it throttles at?

unclewebb

i cant do that with throttlestop
Sure you can. If you want your CPU to run at 3.00 GHz, go into the TPL window and set Speed Shift Min and Max to 30. Your CPU will run at that speed as long as it is not throttling. Do not check Set Multiplier and do not check Clock Mod.

do you know what it throttles at?
What are you asking? A CPU can throttle based on temperature, or current or power consumption. The main screen of ThrottleStop shows what the thermal throttling temperature is set to.

PROCHOT xxx °C

Did you adjust the current limits yet? It is possible that the voltage regulator that Apple is using was not designed to handle the current that a 9880H can flow.

Muffinized

i wasnt active recently, sorry for late reply D:

idk how to adjust current limits, and the only way i can keep my cpu temps low is turning of prochot and forcing cpu speed to be set at 3.00GHZ using quickcpu.
also, keep in mind the minimum clock for i9 9880H is 0.8, but sometimes it goes down to 0.02. usually it goes down to 0.35 which aint normal. so thats also a problem ._.

unclewebb

idk how to adjust current limits
In ThrottleStop, open the TPL window and increase the PP0 Current Limit. Open the FIVR window and increase the IccMax current value. I do not see any current limit options in Quick CPU.

but sometimes it goes down to 0.02
Can you show me a screenshot of ThrottleStop when your CPU is running at 0.02 GHz?

it overheats at 98 degrees
That is your main problem. Without better cooling, your computer cannot run 8 cores at their full rated speed. It will have to throttle. Either power limit throttling, current throttling or thermal throttling. You can use Quick CPU or ThrottleStop. Neither of these programs can fix a laptop if the cooling is not adequate.