• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Throttlestop overclocking Desktop PCs

Durkhead

Excuse me if I'm posting this on the wrong place but I have a ques bout Intel turbo boost and how it works like if I bought a 9100f and had good motherboard and good cooling could I run it at Max speed as long as the temp was good, would I need throttlestop to do that? or if I got an optiplex with i5 4570 could I make that run at Max speed for long period of time I'm interested in getting a new PC for emulation which needs high clock speed but only uses 2 or three cores

unclewebb

RealTemp Author
Intel CPUs can run at full turbo speed indefinitely as long as they are not overheating and as long as they are not exceeding the turbo power limit. Some boards will allow you to set the power limits sky high. Other boards will lock the power limit register so even with software you will not be able to exceed the TDP limit.

Unless someone has used your exact combination, it is impossible to say what is possible.

System Name BTXTREME
Processor QX6800 SLACP Core2 Extreme
Motherboard Dell 0WG864 LGA775 BTX
Cooling Dell T9303 heatpipe cooler, Delta GFB1212VHG 2 motor fan.
Memory 8GB Dell DDR2@800
Video Card(s) Sapphire Dual BIOS R9-285 ITX O/C 2GB DDR5
Storage Crucial M500 240GB SSD
Display(s) Dell 22" LCD
Case Dell Dimension E 520 MT
Audio Device(s) onboard sound with Logitech Z523 speakers
Power Supply EVGA B2 750W semi modular
Mouse Logitech wireless (two installed)
Keyboard Logitech wireless backlit
Software Win7-64, Throttlestop 6.00 overclock
Benchmark Scores 3DMark 11 P7644 (52% )In Win7 64, Firestrike 6892 ( 58% ) http://valid.x86.fr/l2j5p1
First thing I need to say is we don't know what works until someone tries it.
But here are the principles we try.
Throttlestop, and Intel XTU can "often" control Voltage and multiplier on unlocked CPUs on locked systems.
1-So your first stop should be userbenchmark.com to see if the system your interested in has any unlocked CPUs running there.
2- Get a feel for the CPU score of that CPU at base speed, and look for "outliers" with a noticeably higher CPU score. That's evidence of a successful overclock of "some kind". If there aren't any that means you're the guinea pig. If you try it and it doesn't work post here anyway. The information is still useful to others.
3- Throttlestop has the ability to be text edited in a word processor to only overclock 2 cores of a 4 core CPU. 6+ core IDK. Maybe 2, maybe 3 cores. Newer stuff perhaps the cores are more tightly integrated.
4-MAYBE if you change the file name you could open a 2nd TS window and underclock the other cores since that's Throttlestops purpose in notebooks. I don't think Volatge can be separated though. Has never been tried ASFAIK..
5- I would be looking at a surplus workstation. ECC capability and higher performance VRM and memory subsystems make older workstations perform better than newer Optiplex. Optiplex almost all have a 95W CPU limit. Workstations are 130+W capable. This almost always translates to higher overclock performance.

Last edited:
Processor FX-6350 @4.5ghz/2.5ghz NB
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3
Cooling Hyper 212
Memory 8gb Samsung DDR3L @1666 cl8 1.47v
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming RX 580 8gb @1475/2100
Storage 250gb SSD 2tb hdd
Display(s) LG 42in 1080p60
Audio Device(s) Logitech z-5500
Power Supply CX 650
Benchmark Scores R15 sing/multi 106/538
If I got an optiplex with i5 4570 could I make that run at Max speed for long period of time I'm interested in getting a new PC for emulation which needs high clock speed but only uses 2 or three cores
Hey Durk, I'm really into emulation and have emulated most consoles up to the switch, ps3, and 360. Before you go out and decide an OEM PC to buy for emulation please PM me what consoles you're looking to emulate and I'll help you decide what sort of build would be best for you as well as a few tips to help smooth out gameplay on newer console emulation.

Last edited: