• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Throttlestop problem EDP OTHER and PL 1

Allpureapples

i have an asus rog gu501gm laptop and for some reason pl1 and edp other are always turn on yellow then red, this happens even though my cpu never goes above 80c yet it still throttles. iv tried changing my undervolt setting yet it never works can anyone help me fix this?
1586858158334.png

1586858283234.png

in the second picture the voltage was increassed up from -20 to -65 to stop an error, but the pl1 and edp other still turn yellow then red
1586858394281.png

i ment -70 to -65

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
When PL1 and EDP OTHER light up in red at the same time, this is always because of the PL1, long term turbo power limit. You have both of these limits set to 90 in ThrottleStop. That is a good thing but there are actually 3 unique sets of turbo power limits that control Intel CPUs. Look in the FIVR window on the right side for the Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits feature. Before checking that option, press the Install button and follow the directions. You need to first download the RwDrv.zip file form Mega before using this feature.

Unzip that file and copy the RwDrv.sys file into your ThrottleStop folder. Now you can check the Disable and Lock box.

If you are still having power limit throttling problems at 55 Watts, you are out of luck. Some manufacturers set a hard power limit and you cannot use any software to get beyond that limit. Hopefully the above fix will cure your problem.

The default turbo ratio limits for the 8750H are 41, 41, 40, 40, 39, 39. If you or Asus have deliberately lowered these values to control heat, I understand.

There is a new beta version of ThrottleStop available if you need to bump up your PROCHOT temperature. The Intel spec is 100°C. (PROCHOT Offset = 0). You can adjust this new feature in the Options window.

Edit - NotebookCheck shows the significant drop off in Cinebench performance at default settings. The power limits likely play a part in this.

Last edited:

Allpureapples

OMG IT WORKED THX SO MUCH, IT MADE IT ALL THE WAY THROUGH WITHOUT THROTTLING
1586995465661.png

i even got it up to 39 on all cores and still no throttling
1586995794789.png

1586996058931.png

unclewebb

OMG IT WORKED
That is good news. Give Cinebench R20 a try. It is more demanding and lasts longer.

A laptop with the 8750H needs excellent cooling and some help from ThrottleStop so it can maintain the full 39.00 multiplier during this entire test. Many laptops fall on their face during Cinebench R20. Good luck.

Nice to see that you are using the new ThrottleStop PROCHOT Offset feature. Some laptops set a thermal shutdown temperature right at 100°C so watch out for that. Intel originally designed thermal shutdown to happen approximately 25°C beyond the 100°C thermal throttling temperature which is about 125°C. Some OEMs decided to ignore that advice and are using shutdown temperatures way lower than that.

Last edited:

miloaisdua

There is a new beta version of ThrottleStop available if you need to bump up your PROCHOT temperature. The Intel spec is 100°C. (PROCHOT Offset = 0). You can adjust this new feature in the Options window.

Hi unclewebb! Firstly I'd like to say throttlestop has been great at helping me unlock the potential of my laptop. Been following along the other instructions around the web and forums here, but generally find that your detailed responses are among the best in finding the right performance / power saving balance for different scenarios.

I'm pretty keen on the new PROCHOT offset feature. My Metabox/Clevo P960RF (i7-9750H) has a PROCHOT set to 87 which I'd like to inrease. The google drive link has expired or you've deleted the file. Would you mind sharing it again please? :)

unclewebb

@miloaisdua - Looks like this version of TS is up to beta 4. :)

As long as the OEM did not set the lock bit, this new feature might be wonderful for your laptop. ThrottleStop lets you adjust the PROCHOT Offset. The Intel default PROCHOT for the 9750H is 100°C so your Clevo must be using a 13°C offset. (100°C - 13°C = 87°C)

Default offset is 0. Some OEMs set a thermal shutdown temperature right at 100°C. This is a mistake on their part and is definitely not what Intel recommends. If your laptop shuts down at this temp, you will have to use an offset of 3 or 4 to prevent this from happening.

Post some pics if this works for you.

miloaisdua

Thanks @unclewebb. Seems to work as expected. :)

Using cinebench r20 to generate load. My CPU temps hit 87 without any red "Thermal" limit being flagged after changing the offset from 13 to 3. Unfortunately I hit vr thermal limits around that same temp. Any suggestions that don't require attempting to add thermal pads in my laptop? :laugh:

Max temp 87, throttle due to VR thermal:
PROCHOT 97

TS_prochot_97_options.png
TS_prochot_97_limits.png

TS_fivr.png

TS_tpl.png

In my tests earlier today I did see thermal limits being hit in TS. However that was a couple hours ago and I think my ambient temps have dropped another few degrees since then.

I did a negative test by setting offset to 20 (PROCHOT 80) and running cinebench r20. Only saw thermal and edp other limits being hit. Max temp 81, throttle due to thermal & edp other by intentionally setting PROCHOT to 80:
TS_prochot_80_main.png

TS_prochot_80_limits.png

unclewebb

Unfortunately I hit vr thermal limits
No easy way around this problem without doing some cooling mods. It all makes sense now. During testing, the engineers likely saw that their voltage regulator cooling was crap so rather than spend some money, they got cowardly and chose the free solution. Let's lower the PROCHOT temp. Good idea. That engineer probably got a bonus.

When undervolting these CPUs, the cache voltage is the limiting factor. When testing with Cinebench R20, try backing off your cache offset from -127.9 mV to maybe -110 mV or -100 mV. Run R20 for a baseline. Now see if you can drop only the CPU core offset lower. Some users continue to see improvements with the core as low as -200 mV. Soon after that, improvements stop. This might be a way to run your CPU a little cooler so the voltage regulators do not puke. Definitely need to avoid VR THERMAL throttling.

Thanks for testing ThrottleStop's new PROCHOT Offset feature. When you find an offset value you like, use the Lock PROCHOT Offset feature. ThrottleStop is more efficient if it does not have to keep checking this register for any changes. Once locked, no other software will be able to touch it until the next reboot.

miloaisdua

Thanks for the explanation and recommendations. I’ll try undervolting further and adjust tpl and/or prochot to avoid vr thermal limits.

are there any other settings in TS where the “lock” feature is recommended for efficiency?

in version 8.70 I clicked the tpl lock by mistake before and couldn’t unlock it until I removed TS’ .ini and rebooted the machine. Got abit wary after that heheh.

LucasGamer467

Hello I have a core i5 8265U and I'm having Power Limit problems. I've tried everything to try to solve it but I can't, and when I do the stress test there is a limit PL1 and PL2.
Can someone help me?

Attachments

• Anotação 2020-07-12 181837.png
    Anotação 2020-07-12 181837.png
    38.2 KB · Views: 814
  • 1594588819254.png
    1594588819254.png
    89.7 KB · Views: 862
  • 1594588840741.png
    1594588840741.png
    25.8 KB · Views: 843
  • 1594588853952.png
    1594588853952.png
    43 KB · Views: 868
  • 1594589077564.png
    1594589077564.png
    9 KB · Views: 853

unclewebb

@LucasGamer467 - The 8265U has a 15W TDP rating. Some laptop manufacturers will set the long term turbo power limit internally equal to the 15W TDP. If a manufacturer has done this, there is nothing you can do with ThrottleStop to get beyond this limit. When the power limits are not locked, you can run a low power U series CPU way beyond the 15W TDP indefinitely, or until it overheats.

There is no reason to check the Clock Modulation box in ThrottleStop unless a log file indicates that your laptop is using this throttling method. Most newer laptops use power limit throttling. Clock modulation throttling is the old school method.

Your laptop has Speed Shift enabled (SST in green). When using Speed Shift, the older Set Multiplier function is not used so do not check the Set Multiplier box either. Leave the turbo time limit at the default value which is 28 seconds.

This is a locked CPU so you cannot overclock it. Leave the turbo ratio limits set to their default values, 39, 38, 37, 37.

You can try checking the TDP Level Control option. Set this to 2. This might help to increase the turbo power limits but long term, it is likely that you will still be limited to 15W or whatever your laptop is limiting you to.

If you are going to undervolt the Intel GPU, you need to also under volt the iGPU Unslice equally. You have a Nvidia GPU so there is probably no reason to under volt the Intel GPU.

unclewebb

to prevent thermal throttling
Preventing thermal throttling would not be a good idea. If a CPU is too hot, it should throttle.

If you mean using RW Everything to prevent power limit throttling, that sounds like a good idea. I do not own a laptop with any EC power limit throttling issues so I have not tried to pursue this.

jeffp898

@unclewebb sorry i meant to prevent power limit throttling. I have a HP spectre x360 ice lake edition. No matter what I do in throttlestop after about an hour going at 25W (temps under 90c) it will throttle down to 12w. PL1 is red under limits. I am pretty sure it is the EC that is limiting the power to 12w. Unfortunately I have no idea how to recognize what to change. I am trying to observe the differences in RWeverything under EC when power limit is 25W vs 12W but too many values change.

LucasGamer467

Preventing thermal throttling would not be a good idea. If a CPU is too hot, it should throttle.

If you mean using RW Everything to prevent power limit throttling, that sounds like a good idea. I do not own a laptop with any EC power limit throttling issues so I have not tried to pursue this.
thank you

LucasGamer467

hello i have another problem, when i go to play my processor stays at 15W normally and i play at 60fps, after a few minutes playing my game starts to crash and i play at 40 fps and when i see it, my CPU is at 13,5W with low frequency. What can it be?

my CPU does not pass 80 °

unclewebb

my CPU does not pass 80°C
Intel's low power U series of CPUs are designed to power limit throttle. This will happen regardless of the CPU temperature. Kind of dumb but that is how these CPUs operate. Depending on the manufacturer and what throttling options they are using, gaming performance can be miserable. I would not recommend anyone buy a laptop with a low power 15W CPU for gaming unless it has great cooling and the power limits can be disabled.

The 15W power limit is bad enough but these CPUs also have available Configurable TDP-down mode. If the CPU enters this mode, the power limit can be dropped to 10W and the CPU frequency can be forced much lower. In some laptop models, there is nothing you can do about this "feature".

Turn on the ThrottleStop Log File option and go play a game for a while. When finished, exit the game and then exit ThrottleStop so it can finalize your log file. Your log file will be in the ThrottleStop / Logs folder. Attach it to your next post so I can have a look. You might have to consider selling your laptop and finding one that is not so locked down. Either that or get a laptop with a CPU that has a 45W TDP rating instead of 15W.

Kunju

My laptop was giving me this weird behavior, but i changed the PROCHOT to 99 Degree from 90, thanks to the advice from @unclewebb. Thanks a lot. It literally saved me from buying a new laptop. Laptops are really expensive in my country, almost double what they cost in US.
Taskmanager 22-10-20.jpeg

unclewebb

@Kunju - After setting PROCHOT Offset to 1, it is important to also use the Lock PROCHOT Offset feature. Some Lenovo laptops are constantly changing this variable. This can reduce the thermal throttling temperature significantly and cause constant premature thermal throttling.

If you have any more problems with your CPU getting stuck at 400 MHz, try clearing the BD PROCHOT box on the main ThrottleStop screen. That is another popular throttling method.

Kunju

Hey @unclewebb , thanks, I did what you said, for good measure. My laptop is an Asus X558UQ. I didn't mention it because my problem was already solved. There were microstutters before. Now even that is gone.

Krupiz

@unclewebb can you help me? I am having issuse with PL1 limit throttling everytime my cup gets 70 or 75 celcius degree and then it locks at 35 W...
1609345087979.png

unclewebb

@Krupiz - Have you checked the FIVR - Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits box? Show me a screenshot of the FIVR window and of the TPL window.

What laptop model do you have? Some laptops are hard locked to a lower power limit.
The 8300H has a TDP-down mode of 35 Watts. Your laptop manufacturer might have decided that when the Nvidia GPU is active, this laptop will limit the CPU to 35W. Sometimes there is nothing you can do about this besides shop elsewhere next time. Post some TS screenshots so I can see if there is anything that might help.

Krupiz

@unclewebb Those are screenshots you requested (I am sorry if I make errors in writing, but It's not my national language...) and my laptop model is HP Pavilion Gaming 15 cx0033nw with i5 8300H and gtx 1050. Also I have downloaded the RwDrv.zip you posted and unzipped it to my throttlestop folder. Edit: I tried undervolting and still had to undercolck from 39 on all cores to 37 on all cores.
1609405337372.png
1609405358304.png

Last edited:

unclewebb

I have downloaded the RwDrv.zip you posted
You can delete that file. The older versions of ThrottleStop required that file but the newer versions do not. The RwDrv driver and all of the WinRIng0 related files in your ThrottleStop folder can all be removed when using ThrottleStop 9.2 or newer versions.

Setting the turbo time limits to 3670716 seconds is equivalent to a time period of 42.5 days. I know lots of YouTube videos encourage doing this but there is no reason to do this. Leave the time limits at the default of 28 seconds. You can also check the Turbo Boost Short Power Max box. This ensures that the information is going to the CPU. There is no reason to check the PP0 Power Limit. Leave this unchecked, the Clamp option for this unchecked and set the PP0 Power Limit to 0 so it is not used.

The TDP Level Control appears to be set to 1. This might be causing your problem. Try checking that option, check the Lock box and set this to 0.

The TDP Level can be set in multiple places so this suggestion might not solve your problem. Once you get this changed, do another test and see if your CPU is still dropping down to the 35W TDP Level 1 mode. If it is, there is nothing more you can do.

Use the latest version of ThrottleStop.