• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ThrottleStop Ver. 830

Is it possible to keep using throttlestop version 830 and NOT ver 840? I keep getting an error saying ver 830 has expired and using ver 840 will NOT clock my 2670v3 dual xeon PC even close to where ver 830 let me>>>> HELP!!!!!! Thanks a million to anyone that can help me!!

someone?

Last edited by a moderator:

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
I don't bother keeping old versions so once they expire they are gone. There shouldn't be any significant difference between 8.30 and 8.40 as long as they are set up exactly the same. Did you copy the ThrottleStop.exe version 8.40 into the same folder where you had version 8.30?

If you want to do some testing with 8.30 you will have to roll back your system date. If you can see anything that has obviously changed then post some clear screenshots that show the difference when your CPUs are loaded. Unfortunately I do not own any dual socket Xeon hardware and feedback was non-existent so something might have accidentally changed and I would have never noticed. I cannot think of anything at the moment.

webb... ver 8.40 will NOT clock my xeons using the turbo multi... they are fully stuck on 2.2ghz. Ver 8.30 will clock my xeons using the turbo multis so i was able to go up to 2.7ghz on all 24 cores and that was FUN! Anything fix you can think of to get this new version to work with the xeons turbo multi's?

unclewebb

Are your CPUs retail or ES? With turbo disabled, the default speed for a 2670v3 is 2.3 GHz.

http://ark.intel.com/products/81709/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2670-v3-30M-Cache-2_30-GHz?q=2670v3

Does the ThrottleStop Limit Reasons program show anything in red? When a Xeon is running at one notch below the default speed, that is usually a sign of something else going on. Have there been any Windows or bios updates or changes recently?

Can you post some ThrottleStop screenshots of the main screen, the Limit Reasons window and the FIVR window while running something simple like a single thread of the TS Bench.

Without hardware sitting in front of me, problems like this are difficult to solve. Can you also try running my RegReport program?

https://www.sendspace.com/file/isttre

This will create a text file with the values of all of the important registers within your CPU so I can try and track down why turbo boost is not working anymore. Either attach the file here or copy and paste it to www.pastebin.com and post a link here.

sorry, i should have been more direct with my reply sir. Yes, these are in fact ES Samples.. QS samples though with R2 steppings which are pretty much release ready. They run amazing when apps can take advantage of 24 cores! really only built this PC for web/youtube/ and misc other things as I wanted an excuse to build a dual cpu pc for the first time, and will say it was a PITA to get a matching pair of CPU's that the board would boot with!

what i circled in RED is the turbo option... I can NOT move that from 22 on this version where as on the old ver 8.30 I could..... and achieve a much better OC. Im sure if I can adjust that turbo option again off 22 multi, I can have my OC back.. Any thoughts?? Thanks a million for your help so far Webb!

Last edited:

unclewebb

The ThrottleStop Set Multiplier function does not work unless SpeedStep is enabled. It also will not work correctly unless the Non Turbo Ratio is set to 0. Fix those two things and if that doesn't work, try enabling SpeedStep in the bios. Increase the Set Multiplier value to its maximum and put a load on your CPU with 1 Thread of the TS Bench test and see what happens.

Edit - Also click on the Start Monitoring button so I can watch for any changes.

ok, will report back. Thanks

im still stuck @ 2.2ghz no matter what I do.... I just wish I could go back to 8.30

unclewebb

Send me a RegReport so I can have a look. It looks like something is not set correctly. Post another screenshot so I can see how you have things setup now.

unclewebb

RegReport is a simple program that writes all the the CPU registers to a file. I previously posted the download link. I should be able to see something in this file that is causing your problem.

I disabled speedstep again back in bios as I HATE it when this pc fluctuates speed. I like it 1 speed at all times! So just like I setup ver 8.30, im still not getting anything past 2.2ghz on 8.40. here is a screenie ppic of it currently

I DL'ed your program, what do you want me to post you?

this what you want???? Im a little confused

Attachments

• MSR_085_170454.txt
    243.6 KB · Views: 504

unclewebb

Thanks for the data.
what i circled in RED is the turbo option...

What you circled in red is what Intel calls the Non Turbo Ratio. On a retail CPU, the maximum that software should let you set this to is the same as your default multiplier which is 22.

If TS 8.30 was letting you set this to 27, that was a bug in TS that I must have fixed. Fixing this TS bug was obviously not a good thing for your ES CPUs.

Can you try running TS 8.30, set the Non Turbo Ratio to 27 and show me a screenshot that confirms that the CPU is using the 27 multi. To get TS 8.30 to start up without complaining, temporarily adjust your system date to March 1. With your CPU loaded with a thread or two of the TS Bench, can you run the RegReport program one more time? I think I understand what is going on. Some more numbers will help me confirm it.

It will take me a couple of days but I will try to add this bug back to ThrottleStop so you can enjoy your 27 multiplier again.

ill be more then happy to do all you are asking but im on a 48hr shift at the fire dept today (over time plus reg shift) when I get home on Wednesday ill report back with everything you need. THANKS SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HELP

something VERY strange is happening... now when I load 8.30ver it says cpu not supported... never had that before

**EDIT** I cant load 8.30 at all anymore.... what is going on??

unclewebb

Unfortunately the pirates hacked a previous version of ThrottleStop so I built a few more safeguards into the recent versions to discourage the casual hackers. They need a challenge.

Are you absolutely sure that you could adjust the Non Turbo Ratio that you circled in red up to 27 before? If you are 100% sure, I will send you a version of ThrottleStop that lets you do this again.

Unfortunately the pirates hacked a previous version of ThrottleStop so I built a few more safeguards into the recent versions to discourage the casual hackers. They need a challenge.

Are you absolutely sure that you could adjust the Non Turbo Ratio that you circled in red up to 27 before? If you are 100% sure, I will send you a version of ThrottleStop that lets you do this again.
No sir, im not 100% sure, but going over everything that ive told you, I have made a error in reporting to you. In ver 8.30 The highest I could clock my 2670 v3's was too 2.5ghz NOT 2.7ghz... I wish it was 2.7 and maybe I could get 2.7 if you help me with this program. The max turbo multi on my chips is 27, so i guess its possible, but for whatever reason 2.5 was the fastest I could get and HOW I GOT IT I WILL SHOW YOU, but give me a few please.. I got home from a 48hr long shift and I literately crashed on the bed for a few hours just to get a quick 2hr nap. Im getting my bearings now, and will go to the server build and will take some screenies for you. I AM SO GRATEFUL FOR YOUR HELP SO FAR!!

unclewebb

Check your messages. See if you can get that version to run your CPUs at 2.5 GHz and post some screenshots to show me how you have it setup. I am very interested in getting this fixed so everyone can run their Xeons like Intel intended them to run.

OK, got 8.30 that you sent me and instantly got my 2.5GHz back.... What I dont understand is why I cant get the turbo multi of 26 or 27 to ever work??? Is it a power setting thing or on ES CPU issue??? Here is a pic for you... if you want anything else, please let me know. Thanks a million for all your assistance, you are an outstanding person!!

unclewebb

Can you open up the FIVR window and show me what the Non Turbo Ratio and turbo multipliers are set to?

On the main screen, you have SpeedStep disabled so there is no point in checking the Set Multiplier box. There is also no point in checking the Clock Modulation or Chipset Clock Modulation boxes unless your computer specifically has one of these issues.

The 27 multiplier is likely only available when a limited number of cores are active. You also need to have at least the C3 C State enabled to access the maximum multiplier on locked CPUs. Your bios might not have an option to enable the C3 or C6 C State.

Try running the RegReport program again so I can try to figure out what registers have changed compared to before.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/isttre

i believe my biois has those options and I disabled them.. I will ENABLE them and see waht happens. Ill post your requested pics in a few. thanks

i enabled c3 and c6 states in bios and It now fluctuates between all sorts of multi's up to 27! Thank you for that bit of info... IS there a way you can help me achieve a steady 26 or 27 multi and have it jjust stay 100% at that speed? Here is the pic you wanted sir.

here is another reg report file you asked for sir.......

Attachments

• MSR_094_153600.txt
    243.6 KB · Views: 453