• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Throttling for no reason?

broman

Hello, can you please help me because I don't know why my laptop Acer Swift 3 (SF314-56G) is throttling.

I have Admin privileges. Windows 10 home 1909. 8.74 Throttlestop

It's not temperature throttling - always <85 degrees
It's not power throttling - always <15 W
(15 W is limit on my i5-8265u)

Also I have problems with "Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits" when I try to turn it on, I get Error: "Insufficient System Resources Exist to Complete the Requested Service". I download and install the RwDrv.sys file into my ThrottleStop folder. I am not using any other software that also uses the RwDrv driver. Me and Windows have full access to this file (Full control allow). I am not using Windows Defender or antivirus.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    337.9 KB · Views: 457
  • 2.png
    2.png
    307 KB · Views: 420
  • 3.png
    3.png
    101.6 KB · Views: 410
System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Increase your Turbo ratio limits.
Why are they all set to 27?

Last edited:

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
You are definitely power limit throttling even though power consumption is only 5.5 Watts. Limit Reasons showing PL1 in red confirms power limit throttling.

Are you on battery power? Open the TPL window and try checking the Turbo Boost Short Power Max box. When this box is not checked, ThrottleStop will not send any information to the CPU for this power limit so what is in the power limit register is anyone's guess. I do not think this will solve your problem. If you are plugged in, your Acer laptop is not running properly. There are multiple turbo power limits and one of these is controlled by the EC. It alone can set power limits way below anything in ThrottleStop and it can set a power limit below the 15W TDP. The lowest power limit always wins. The CPU will be limited by the lowest value it finds.

Do you have any gaming software installed like Valorant? Its anti-cheat program Vanguard will block the RwDrv.sys driver from being installed. This driver is only used for the FIVR - Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits feature. This feature will not work correctly if this driver is blocked. I am also running Windows 10 1909 and I am not having any problems with this driver. No Vanguard or Valorant for me.

Last edited:
System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Do you have any gaming software installed like Valorant? Its anti-cheat program Vanguard will block the RwDrv.sys driver from being installed. This driver is only used for the FIVR - Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits feature. This feature will not work correctly if this driver is blocked. I am also running Windows 10 1909 and I am not having any problems with this driver. No Vanguard or Valorant for me.

unclewebb

@Caring1 - Last I heard, the Vanguard anti-cheat program that Valorant uses blocks the RwDrv.sys driver that ThrottleStop uses.

Most of ThrottleStop will run correctly except for the FIVR - Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits feature. This feature will be blocked. You will see an error message if you try to use this feature. This is the one and only ThrottleStop feature that uses the RwDrv.sys driver.

broman

Increase your Turbo ratio limits.
Why are they all set to 27?

I set it to 27, because when it higher then x27 I get more 15W TDP = throttling

You are definitely power limit throttling even though power consumption is only 5.5 Watts. Limit Reasons showing PL1 in red confirms power limit throttling.

Are you on battery power? Open the TPL window and try checking the Turbo Boost Short Power Max box. When this box is not checked, ThrottleStop will not send any information to the CPU for this power limit so what is in the power limit register is anyone's guess. I do not think this will solve your problem. If you are plugged in, your Acer laptop is not running properly. There are multiple turbo power limits and one of these is controlled by the EC. It alone can set power limits way below anything in ThrottleStop and it can set a power limit below the 15W TDP. The lowest power limit always wins. The CPU will be limited by the lowest value it finds.

I am not on battery power. I check Turbo Boost Short Power Max box, and yes, this don't solve my problem. What can I do in this situation? How can I check "true"power limit?

I found that Faceit Anti-cheat also block RwDrv.sys. Can I hope that after sometime throttlestop update will solve it? Or will be better to write to Faceit?

unclewebb

How can I check "true"power limit?
ThrottleStop is showing you your "true" power limit. Your screenshot shows that your CPU is power limit throttling even though power consumption is only at 5.5W. That is a problem with your Acer Swift 3 laptop. Acer has set the turbo power limit way below the recommend 15W value. You will have to contact Acer to find out if this is a problem with only your laptop or if it is a problem with all Acer Swift 3 laptops. Have you updated the BIOS? I would return it.

I found that Faceit Anti-cheat also block RwDrv.sys.
I am not surprised. Thanks for testing that for me. FaceIt and Riot Games do not like the RwDrv.sys driver. They will never allow this driver to run so there is no point in contacting FaceIt.

Can I hope that after sometime throttlestop update will solve it?
Maybe next year.