• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Throttling On Intel i5-8250U

System Name Acer Swift 3 SF315-52G
Processor Intel i5-8250U
Memory 8 GB DDR4 (Dual Channel)
Video Card(s) Nvidia Geforce MX150
Storage Kingston A2000 500 GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) IPS 1080p
Hi,

I was experimenting with my Intel i5-8250U on my laptop. On my observations, when the processor exceeds 70°C with full performance (3.39 GHz), it reduces back itself to about 60°C and affects the performance (throttles at about 2.4 GHz). How do I stop that?

I changed my power plan to Ultimate Performance (100% processor state), undervolted the CPU by -80 mV. But when I benchmark, it still heats up to 80°C and then, it throttles at 60°C.

ThrottleStop gives EDP Other - PL1 signs when it throttles.

What else can I do that I can prevent it from throttling or overheating?

Thanks.

Processor Intel Core i5 4670K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z87 Extreme 4
Cooling Lepa NeoIllusion RGB CPU cooler
Memory 2*4GB Patriot G2 Series RAM
Video Card(s) MSI Radeon R9 380 4GB
Storage Transcend SSD 740 256GB + WD Caviar Blue 1TB
Display(s) Samsung SA 300 24" Full HD
Case NZXT Phantom 530 + Bitfenix Recon fan controller
Audio Device(s) Creative SB0770 X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Power Supply PC Power and Cooling Silencer MkIII 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Steelseries Apex RAW
Benchmark Scores IT WORKS
Firstly it is not "throttling". The CPU base frequency is 1,6 GHz and IF there is low temperature CPU could give you extra speed UP TO 3,4 GHz. If laptop doesn't give you less extra speed that doesn't mean that it throttling.

I didn't played with Intel Extreme Tuning Utility tool but I believe that there could be option to increase default clocks up to those which are mentioned as Max Boost clocks. Also it could be some useful options in BIOS but before talking about BIOS it would be useful to know laptop model

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Firstly it is not "throttling".
PL1 lighting up in red is informing the user that the CPU has reached the long term turbo power limit. The CPU speed is being throttled based on this power limit. In the TPL window, what are the turbo power limits set to?

An 8th Gen U series CPU can run indefinitely at full speed if the turbo power limits are set appropriately. It will overheat before it power limit throttles.

Processor Intel i5-8250U
Display(s) IPS 1080p
Firstly it is not "throttling". The CPU base frequency is 1,6 GHz and IF there is low temperature CPU could give you extra speed UP TO 3,4 GHz. If laptop doesn't give you less extra speed that doesn't mean that it throttling.

I didn't played with Intel Extreme Tuning Utility tool but I believe that there could be option to increase default clocks up to those which are mentioned as Max Boost clocks. Also it could be some useful options in BIOS but before talking about BIOS it would be useful to know laptop model

I'm using Acer Swift 3 (SF315-52G). And my TPL is looking like this (below).

I tried the Intel XTU but because ThrottleStop seems more reliable and universal, now I'm using ThrottleStop. In the BIOS, there are no useful options in my observation.

When the CPU temperature reaches about 75-80°C, it limits itself at about 2.4 - 2.7 GHz. When I undervolted it, I managed it up to 2.9 GHz when it keeps itself at about 60°C. Is it possible to push it furthermore (like 3.2 GHz)?

Attachments

• TPL.jpg
    TPL.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 7,025
  • FIVR.jpg
    FIVR.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 7,204
  • TS.jpg
    TS.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 7,019

unclewebb

Your TPL screenshot shows that the Turbo Boost Long Power Max is set to 15 Watts. That is what is limiting you. Try increasing both long and short power limits to 30. When your CPU is throttling, watch the reported power consumption. It is power not temperature that limits these CPUs.

You can also increase the PP0 Current Limit up to 100 so it does not interfere with things. Same for IccMax. The FIVR - Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits box might also need to be checked. Do some testing before checking this box. Post a screenshot of ThrottleStop with the Limit Reasons window open while the CPU is loaded and throttling.

The latest version includes adjustable PROCHOT Offset in the Options window. Intel default for this setting is 0.

Last edited:
Processor Intel i5-8250U
Display(s) IPS 1080p
Thanks a lot! Now the frequency kept stable on about 3.3 GHz. Before this, I was getting about 1100 score on Cinebench but now it gets 1564 score (the average was 1259), surpassing i7-4850HQ. The CPU now gets hot as 95°C on maximum.

I did change the current limit, checked the "disable and lock power limits" box, and increased both long and short power limits to 30. I didn't change the IccMax.

I think I will set the long and short power limits a bit lower (maybe 26 or something), just in case it overheats (or should I decrease the PP0 Current Limit?). I will write my results here later.

Attachments

• limit reasons.jpg
    limit reasons.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 3,578

unclewebb

The CPU now gets hot as 95°C on maximum.
Intel rates their CPUs to be able to run reliably up to 100°C. Like most manufacturers, Acer set this limit a little lower at 95°C to be on the safe side so no worries. Your CPU cannot "overheat". It will thermal throttle when it has to which prevents any overheating.

You might be able to use the ThrottleStop version I posted if you are interested in setting this to 100°C.

There is no need to decrease any of the limits but you can set these limits however you like. After all, it is your laptop.
Nice increase in your Cinebench scores. :toast:

Edit - Here is a Task Scheduler guide if you want to run ThrottleStop when Windows starts.

Last edited:
Processor Intel i5-8250U
Display(s) IPS 1080p
Here are my observations:
(The ultimate performance power plan has a 100% minimum and maximum CPU state.)

undervolt.jpg

I think I will switch to this ThrottleStop profile sometimes when I need high performance for a short period. I didn't change the temperature limit, I'm concerned if my CPU or laptop lifetime shortens and as this laptop is still new (a few months old).

On my observation, the CPU performed best on TPL set on 28-28. As you said, it would be because of thermal throttling by Acer. Anyway, it's good enough for now.

I didn't understand the clamp option, what is it for and what will it affect if I disable or enable it? Same for IccMax.

I also applied the task scheduler, thanks a lot for the useful guide.

Jokerjokester55

View attachment 153655

I think I will switch to this ThrottleStop profile sometimes when I need high performance for a short period. I didn't change the temperature limit, I'm concerned if my CPU or laptop lifetime shortens and as this laptop is still new (a few months old).

On my observation, the CPU performed best on TPL set on 28-28. As you said, it would be because of thermal throttling by Acer. Anyway, it's good enough for now.

I didn't understand the clamp option, what is it for and what will it affect if I disable or enable it? Same for IccMax.

@muhlisgursoy This is amazing! thank you! I have a Dell Inspiron 15 7570. It has the same i5-8250U processor which I've undervolted to -105.5mv and using the same settings as listed above (28-28), I was able to get a Cine score of 1636. my default PROCHOT is set to 98° C which i'm guessing was set by Dell and maybe why I squeaked by a little bit. I did hit 99°c for a brief second before it began to thermal throttle then just didnt go over 98 as the test continued. I noticed in you FIVR picture you attached earlier that your turbo ratio limits were set at 3.0 - did you change these back to 3.4 prior to testing?

@unclewebb thank you for your input as well. I've been looking all over to see what values I should be plugging in the TPL settings of Throttlestop (I'm curious why, by default, they were set to 44)
The Cine test takes less than 5 minutes so I'm just wondering how safely I can maintain these temperatures? I use my laptop for video editing sometimes and rendering can take upwards of 20 minutes. Is it safe to maintain these temperatures for an extended period of time? and will this change significantly shorten the life of the processor?

Attachments

• Cinebench score 1636 tpl 28 long -28 short - temp 99 max  -1055 undervolt 1636 score.png
    Cinebench score 1636 tpl 28 long -28 short - temp 99 max -1055 undervolt 1636 score.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,591
Processor Intel i5-8250U
Display(s) IPS 1080p
I noticed in you FIVR picture you attached earlier that your turbo ratio limits were set at 3.0 - did you change these back to 3.4 prior to testing?

At first, I thought that if I reduce the turbo, it will not throttle. But it doesn't have any positive effect on my observation. So yes, I did change it back to 34. Thank you to you too :)

dragon404

@muhlisgursoy
first of all, thank you so much for this! I have core i5-8250u as well and I want to get the best out of it. can you share with us your ThrottleStop.ini or your settings for 1571 cinebench score .

My current settings gave me 1586 on cinebench. What do you think guys? and how do I change the max temperature limit?
Screenshot (2).png

unclewebb

how do I change the max temperature limit?
Is your CPU throttling because of temperature or because of power? The default power limit for the 8250U is 15 Watts. If you do not change this or if you are not able to change this then your CPU will power limit throttle. Some OEMs lock their laptops down so there is no way to get beyond this 15 Watt limit. Changing the throttling temperature will not fix your problem if the real problem is power based.

Are you using ThrottleStop yet? Open the Limit Reasons window when Cinebench testing. It will show you the reason why your CPU is throttling. You cannot fix a problem until you know what the problem is.

dragon404

I have recorded screen while benchmarking with the limit window open and my sittings at the end of the video. it looks like the tempreture isn't my problem.

The video is missed up here is a screenshot
Screenshot (3).png
Screenshot (3).png

Processor Intel i5-8250U
Display(s) IPS 1080p
it looks like the tempreture isn't my problem.

I think you didn't change the TPL settings, the turbo power limit. Here I uploaded my ThrottleStop.ini file but you may customize the configuration before testing it. Currently, its PROCHOT is set to 95 degrees Celsius.

Attachments

• ThrottleStop ini.rar
    1.4 KB · Views: 1,281

unclewebb

Your video shows you have your turbo power limits set to 28W and your Cinebench screenshot shows your CPU is throttling at 27.9W. Guess what the problem is? It is your POWER LIMITS!!! :)

Increase them if you want to go faster.

Your thermal throttling temperature is set to 94°C which is below the Intel 100°C spec. The latest version of ThrottleStop might have a fix for that. Download, unzip and copy the new ThrottleStop.exe into your ThrottleStop folder.

In the Options window, if this feature is not locked, you can adjust the PROCHOT Offset value. Your laptop has this set to 6 currently so your CPU will throttle at 94°C (100°C - 6°C). If this feature is not locked you can try setting PROCHOT Offset lower. The black dot indicates this feature was locked by the BIOS.

dragon404

@unclewebb thank you so much for this now I have a better understanding of what's going on; I have raised the power limits and the PP throttling was gone. but now because of the high power limit, I got "VR Thermal" throttling and a couple of Mghz Drops to compensate high temperatures ( it hit from 70 to 95 and cause the speed to drop occasionally) and thus I got lower benchmark results (around ~1423). I have raised the PRochot limit from 95 to 100 by changing the offset from 6 to 0 using the version you gave me but it is still the same. so after benchmarking and a couple of tests I found the sweet spot of 29 on long power max and 35 on short power max to score 1610.

I think I hit my CPU limits which is rated for "up to 3.40 GHz " Max Turbo Frequency and I don't think it can go higher than that. I was able to hit ~3.2GHz most of the time with little drops.

PikaTak

I'm using Acer Swift 3 (SF315-52G). And my TPL is looking like this (below).

I tried the Intel XTU but because ThrottleStop seems more reliable and universal, now I'm using ThrottleStop. In the BIOS, there are no useful options in my observation.

When the CPU temperature reaches about 75-80°C, it limits itself at about 2.4 - 2.7 GHz. When I undervolted it, I managed it up to 2.9 GHz when it keeps itself at about 60°C. Is it possible to push it furthermore (like 3.2 GHz)?

View attachment 153655

I'm a Turk, too. Do you think this process is worth using the processor at 90 degrees? Isn't it too hot?

unclewebb

Intel sets the thermal throttling temperature to 100C for a reason. Intel considers any temperature below this to be a "safe operating temperature".

PikaTak

Intel sets the thermal throttling temperature to 100C for a reason. Intel considers any temperature below this to be a "safe operating temperature".

Okay, I know it. But working at high temperatures constantly shortens the life of the processor. Sounds like nothing good for someone who bought a new computer.

danker1990

@unclewebb thank you so much for this now I have a better understanding of what's going on; I have raised the power limits and the PP throttling was gone. but now because of the high power limit, I got "VR Thermal" throttling and a couple of Mghz Drops to compensate high temperatures ( it hit from 70 to 95 and cause the speed to drop occasionally) and thus I got lower benchmark results (around ~1423). I have raised the PRochot limit from 95 to 100 by changing the offset from 6 to 0 using the version you gave me but it is still the same. so after benchmarking and a couple of tests I found the sweet spot of 29 on long power max and 35 on short power max to score 1610.

I think I hit my CPU limits which is rated for "up to 3.40 GHz " Max Turbo Frequency and I don't think it can go higher than that. I was able to hit ~3.2GHz most of the time with little drops.

Do you mind sending your ini file for throttlestop so i can try on my setup.

jstnrme

Hi. I have an acer aspire 6 captain america edition with the same processor and I have already undervolted using throttlestop and got a max score of 616 on cinebench. But during benchmarking, my laptop keeps power throttling at 15W and PL1 in limit reasons are blinking like christmas lights. Is power throttling okay or do anyone know how to fix this?

unclewebb

@jstnrme - The laptop you bought has a low power U series CPU. Long term, they are designed to throttle when they reach the 15W TDP limit. By using ThrottleStop, some laptops can go way beyond this 15W limit. What is your goal? Do you want to go beyond this limit? Show some screenshots of how you have ThrottleStop setup if you want some suggestions. I am not sure if your laptop is locked down by Acer or not. Some laptop models are locked down, many are not.

jstnrme

Is it okay to go beyond the limit? If so then here are my screenshots.

Attachments

• cinebench.png
    cinebench.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,223
  • fivr.png
    fivr.png
    271.5 KB · Views: 2,322
  • options.png
    options.png
    144.9 KB · Views: 2,112
  • tpl.png
    tpl.png
    98.4 KB · Views: 2,196

unclewebb

When PL1 in the Core column and EDP OTHER under the Ring column light up red together in Limit Reasons, it is the PL1 or long term turbo power limit that is the limiting factor.

You have ThrottleStop set up correctly. You are requesting this limit be set to 39W but the CPU is enforcing a 15W limit on you. There is no easy way to get around this limit.

For comparison, Lenovo left the turbo power limits completely unlocked on my C930 with an 8th Gen Core i7 CPU. No throttling at all until it hits the thermal limit which is not surprising considering how many watts the CPU is running at.