• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Time Dilation - Help me understand

lyndonguitar

I play games
System Name X6 | Lyndon-ROG
Processor Intel Core i7-8700k | Intel Core i7 6700HQ
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 5 | Asus ROG-GL552VX
Cooling Deepcool Captain 240EX
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LED | 8 GB
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GTX 1080 8 GB GDDR5X | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M 4GB
Storage SSDs: 500GB, HDDs: 2TB, 2TB, 3TB | SSD: 250GB, HDD: 1TB
Display(s) Samsung 49" CHG90 3840x1080@144Hz, Panasonic 32" HDTV, | 15.6"1080p
Case Cougar Panzer Max
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud II | Corsair Gaming H1500 7.1 | ROCCAT Kave 5.1 | Edifier M3200
Power Supply EVGA 750GQ
Mouse Logitech G403 | Razer Deathadder Chroma | Logitech G302 | Mad Catz Cyborg R.A.T. 5
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Red
Software Windows 10
[yt]G-R8LGy-OVs[/yt]

I've been trying to understand the phenomenon called Time Dilation. by reading a couple of sites and watching alot of vids including that one... I finally understood most of it, but somethings really BUGGING me.

Based on what I understand... Time is relative to the observer because it can be bent by 'light' to preserve the absolute rule that light travels at 1c per second.

Relative to your position if you observe that Light travels slower than 1c per sec, time would seem to bend in that particular place to preserve the rule of the speed of light.

I have a question about this...

EARTH PERSPECTIVE:
A spaceship travels fast going to another star, observers from earth, from their point of view, observes that the earth's time is normal, but they observe that the ship's time is going slower. and so for every 2 earth seconds = 1 ship second. (JUST AN EXAMPLE)

10 years had passed on earth and the Spaceship returns.. the astronauts on board had only aged 5 years and the spaceship timer started at the start of the journey also only counted 5 years.

SHIP PERSPECTIVE:
A spaceship travels fast going to another star, observers from the ship, from their point of view observes the ship's time as normal. but earth is going far away, therefore they are observing it as a moving object, and so from their point of view they observed that the earth's clocks are running slower. that would mean for every 2 ship seconds = 1 earth second.

10 years had passed on earth and the Spaceship returns.. the astronauts on board had aged 20 years and the spaceship timer started at the start of the journey also only counted 20 years.

---------------------------------------------

In both scenarios 10 years had passed on earth. however this is the problem, would the astronauts age 5 years, or 20 years? If so what is wrong my examples? :confused: Would this prove the existence of a multi-verse? or what?? :laugh: anyone got better examples?

HELP

Processor Xeon x5650
Motherboard SABERTOOTH X58
Cooling Fans
Memory 24 GB Kingston HyperX 1600
Video Card(s) GTX 1060 3GB
Storage small ssd
Display(s) Dell 2001F, BenQ short throw
Case Lian Li
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply X750
Software Mint 19.3, Win 10
Benchmark Scores not so fast...
If I remember correctly, it has to do with speed, not direction. A satellite around earth doesn't change its distance, but time dilation still occurs.

Just adding to your confusion I suppose.

Also, the trip towards the other planet will dilate time on that planet, too.

System Name Gaming System / HTPC-Server
Processor i7 8700K (@4.8 Ghz All-Core) / R7 5900X
Motherboard Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming / MSI B450 Mortar Max
Cooling CM ML360 / CM ML240L
Memory 16Gb Hynix @3200 MHz / 16Gb Hynix @3000Mhz
Video Card(s) Zotac 3080 / Colorful 1060
Storage 750G MX300 + 2x500G NVMe / 40Tb Reds + 1Tb WD Blue NVMe
Display(s) LG 27GN800-B 27'' 2K 144Hz / Sony TV
Case Xigmatek Aquarius Plus / Corsair Air 240
Audio Device(s) On Board Realtek
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750W / Andyson TX-700 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero / K400+
Keyboard Wooting Two / K400+
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15 = 1542 3D Mark Timespy = 9758
The astronauts would have aged 5 years. Time slows down (relatively) for the object travelling at higher speeds.

I.e. The astronauts would have reached the star and come back, and it would appear to them that only 5 years has passed, but everyone on earth would be 10 years older.

lyndonguitar

I play games
Case Cougar Panzer Max
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud II | Corsair Gaming H1500 7.1 | ROCCAT Kave 5.1 | Edifier M3200
Power Supply EVGA 750GQ
Mouse Logitech G403 | Razer Deathadder Chroma | Logitech G302 | Mad Catz Cyborg R.A.T. 5
Software Windows 10
The astronauts would have aged 5 years. Time slows down (relatively) for the object travelling at higher speeds.

I.e. The astronauts would have reached the star and come back, and it would appear to them that only 5 years has passed, but everyone on earth would be 10 years older.

but relative to the astronauts, the earth traveled at high speeds, wouldn't time be slowed down(in earth) in their perspective? what's what the video says :wtf: http://youtu.be/G-R8LGy-OVs?t=7m17s

Processor Xeon x5650
Motherboard SABERTOOTH X58
Cooling Fans
Memory 24 GB Kingston HyperX 1600
Video Card(s) GTX 1060 3GB
Storage small ssd
Display(s) Dell 2001F, BenQ short throw
Case Lian Li
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply X750
Software Mint 19.3, Win 10
Benchmark Scores not so fast...
Relative to the speed of light, not object

Processor Intel i9-9900k @ 5GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi
Cooling ThermalTake Riing 240
Memory 2x8GB G-Skill 3600 CL19 @ 16-19-19-20
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 2060 Amp!
Storage 2x Samsung 860 Evo 512GB, 4x Seagate 8TB
Display(s) 2x Dell U2713H
Case CoolerMaster M500P
Power Supply ThermalTake Toughpower 730W
Software Windows 10 Pro
Relative to the speed of light, not object

But relativity says there are no absolute reference frames, and you can't measure your own speed against the speed of light because it's always equal to c no matter how fast you're travelling.

The earth is hurtling around the sun, which is in itself hurtling around the galaxy, and yet we percieve ourselves to be at absolute rest. Would not an observer, on board a particularly energetic planet travelling at an even higher speed, still perceive himself to be at absolute rest and see us as a particularly fast-ageing species/planet when observed through his uncannily powerful theoretical telescope?

:roll:

System Name Frankenstein v7
Processor Intel i7 2600K (@ stock)
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V
Cooling Corsair H100
Memory Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB DDR3 @ 1866MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 7870 WindForce 2GB
Storage Samsung F3 1TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung S24C750
Case Antec P280
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs X-Fi Elite Pro
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Software Windows 7 Pro - 64-bit
From what I remember, it exactly comes down to the observer - thus, position is most relevant (hence "relativity").
From one point of view, time passes at one rate, from another viewpoint of the exact same event, time passes at a different rate.
They are both correct in their individual observations (they both run at the same time), relative to themselves, but different, when compared to the other's observations.
Time itself does NOT, in & of itself, slow down - this is simply how it looks compared to the observer's observed point.
Perhaps an easy example: the car you see speeding down the road, seems to travel awfully quickly, whilst the 'flying car' high above, seems to take forever to disappear from view.
HOWEVER: in the time it takes these vehicles to disappear from sight, the car may have only travelled (for argument's sake) 1 kilometre, whilst the 'flying car' overhead travelled the same distance, yet seems to have moved very little.
As the 'flying car' is clearly further away, it stands to reason that the closer the observer is to the object observed, the faster it *appears* to be going, when in actual fact, this is not the case at all.

There was once an example given to Einstein about a bus:
"if a bus travelled at the speed of light, but a passenger runs from the back to the front, would that person not travel faster than the speed of light?".
The simple answer is no.
However, if you observed such motion from a different point of view, this may appear to be the case, when, in actual fact, this person only travelled as quickly as possible, within the confines of said vehicle.

Relativity is both the easiest & perhaps the most complex matter to get your head around.
Knowing when to apply this, I think, is probably the trick to work out.
I think NASA & ESA are very close though ;)

BTW: thanks for posting this most intriguing poser ^^

Last edited:
System Name Multipurpose desktop
Processor AMD Phenom II x6 1605T @ 3.75Ghz , NB @ 2.5
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 (rev 1.0)
Cooling Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. C, 2x120mm CM Blademaster
Memory Corsair Vengeance LP (4x4GB) @1666Mhz 9-9-9-20-24 1T
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix R7-370 4GB OC
Storage 2x WD Caviar Black 500GB Sata III in RAID 0
Display(s) Acer S211HL 21.5" 1920x1080
Case Cooler Master Centurion 534+, 3x 120mm CM Sickle Flow
Power Supply Seasonic X650 Gold
Software Windows 7 x64 Home Premium SP1
But relativity says there are no absolute reference frames, and you can't measure your own speed against the speed of light because it's always equal to c no matter how fast you're travelling.

The earth is hurtling around the sun, which is in itself hurtling around the galaxy, and yet we percieve ourselves to be at absolute rest. Would not an observer, on board a particularly energetic planet travelling at an even higher speed, still perceive himself to be at absolute rest and see us as a particularly fast-ageing species/planet when observed through his uncannily powerful theoretical telescope?

:roll:

Motion is relative to our frame of reference. In the example of the Astronaut(s), their frame of reference is 'anchored' to the Earth -- so, within that reference frame, the Earth is virtually motionless. There is no universal reference frame, it's all relative motion, there's no use in trying to think of some kind of universal reference frame. If you want to imagine yourself as being in motion at c velocity, then everything in your reference frame would be in motion at the speed of light, everything would have to be in order to preserve causality, so in effect, you and your reference frame are all travelling at c, preserving causality, so that everything works as it should...meaning you and the entire observable universe...then you aren't moving... because everything is moving with you. It all cancels out, figuratively speaking. Stop thinking of universal frames of reference.

Software Windows 10 x64
but relative to the astronauts, the earth traveled at high speeds, wouldn't time be slowed down(in earth) in their perspective? what's what the video says :wtf: http://youtu.be/G-R8LGy-OVs?t=7m17s

If i remember correctly, If it were possible for the people in the spacecraft to view people on earth, they would appear to be moving in slow-motion and vice-versa.

Huddo93

System Name Gaming Rig
Processor i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz
Motherboard Asus Z77 Deluxe-V
Cooling Corsair H100
Memory RipjawsX 8GB @ 2133MHz 11-11-11-30
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX670 SC @ 1300MHz core
Storage OCZ Vertex 4 256GB + 1TB Samsung HDD
Display(s) 23" LG W2343T
Case Corsair 650D
Power Supply Corsiar AX-850
I see your problem, and with the basic idea of time dilation there is no explanation, it is simply a Paradox. Look up "The Twin Paradox" and you can find a way they "solved" the issue. In answer to your question: "When they meet up on earth after the trip, the ages of the space traveler moving close to speed of light and the stationary observer, the space traveler will be seen to be 5 years younger that the observer on earth.

In a little bit of self investigation (wikipedia :p), the difference in time elapsed for the observer and the space traveler is due to the fact that the space traveler goes through a "U turn" acceleration from when he heads away from earth and then turns around the head back. At the point where the space ship comes to rest, before starting to move back towards earth, it must re asses its relative frame to earth and thats where the actual time difference occurs, making the space traveler physically younger.

You must remember when looking into things like Special Relativity that it isn't the whole story. A lot of newer discoveries in string theory, much better fit the laws of general relativity more than that of special relativity (don't be fooled by the names either, general relativity isn't "general" but rather very complex).

Good luck on your journey for knowledge, if your after something else to get your head around, try reading introductory books on string theory and the like. The one I just read about 4 months ago is a small book (around 200 pages) called "The Little Book of String Theory by Steven S. Gubser" and its a good way to start off giving a basic understanding of how the basis of string theory and general/special relativity do and don't fit string theory.

lyndonguitar

I play games
Case Cougar Panzer Max
Power Supply EVGA 750GQ
Software Windows 10
If i remember correctly, If it were possible for the people in the spacecraft to view people on earth, they would appear to be moving in slow-motion and vice-versa.

That's my problem, from each perspectives, they view the other one as going slow motion = meaning they would both age faster in their perspective

I see your problem, and with the basic idea of time dilation there is no explanation, it is simply a Paradox. Look up "The Twin Paradox" and you can find a way they "solved" the issue. In answer to your question: "When they meet up on earth after the trip, the ages of the space traveler moving close to speed of light and the stationary observer, the space traveler will be seen to be 5 years younger that the observer on earth.

In a little bit of self investigation (wikipedia :p), the difference in time elapsed for the observer and the space traveler is due to the fact that the space traveler goes through a "U turn" acceleration from when he heads away from earth and then turns around the head back. At the point where the space ship comes to rest, before starting to move back towards earth, it must re asses its relative frame to earth and thats where the actual time difference occurs, making the space traveler physically younger.

You must remember when looking into things like Special Relativity that it isn't the whole story. A lot of newer discoveries in string theory, much better fit the laws of general relativity more than that of special relativity (don't be fooled by the names either, general relativity isn't "general" but rather very complex).

Good luck on your journey for knowledge, if your after something else to get your head around, try reading introductory books on string theory and the like. The one I just read about 4 months ago is a small book (around 200 pages) called "The Little Book of String Theory by Steven S. Gubser" and its a good way to start off giving a basic understanding of how the basis of string theory and general/special relativity do and don't fit string theory.

Thanks for the explanation!, now I understand, SO it is called the Twin Paradox!!

System Name Aluminum Mallard
Processor Ryzen 1900x
Motherboard AsRock Phantom 6
Cooling AIO
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080Ti FTW
Storage SSD
Display(s) Benq Zowie
Case Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Corsair CX750
VR HMD HTV Vive, Valve Index
Software Arch Linux
Benchmark Scores 31 FPS in Dalaran
[yt]-CIs3jOnfiM[/yt]

SHIP PERSPECTIVE:
A spaceship travels fast going to another star, observers from the ship, from their point of view observes the ship's time as normal. but earth is going far away, therefore they are observing it as a moving object, and so from their point of view they observed that the earth's clocks are running slower. that would mean for every 2 ship seconds = 1 earth second.

10 years had passed on earth and the Spaceship returns.. the astronauts on board had aged 20 years and the spaceship timer started at the start of the journey also only counted 20 years.

---------------------------------------------

In both scenarios 10 years had passed on earth. however this is the problem, would the astronauts age 5 years, or 20 years? If so what is wrong my examples? :confused: Would this prove the existence of a multi-verse? or what?? :laugh: anyone got better examples?

HELP

No. You have not set a perspective, and you have gotten the statement in reverse.

Case 1: Earth Reference
Earth Relative Velocity=0
Ship Relative Velocity=V
Earth observer has 10 years of time pass. Traveler has 5 years of time pass.

To an observer on the ship 2 seconds on earth will be observed as 1 second. Earth will appear as if being fast forwarded, while the ship will appear to be moving at normal speed.

Edit:
Time dilation is rarely accounted for in real life. Rarely do bodies on the surface of earth move fast enough to experience appreciable dilation. One place where this is accounted for though is GPS. The observer is stationary, but each satellite is orbiting the earth at a great speed. As such, the triangulation algorithms need to account for the delay due to dilation. If the dilation did not get accounted for you wouldn't be able to use gps to get any more accuracy than a few dozen meters.

Last edited:
Software Windows 10 x64
Another interesting aspect of travel at relativistic speeds is contraction. I forget the correct term for it, but it's when things get smaller the faster they travel.