1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Time To Update My PC

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Chicken Patty, May 19, 2017.

1. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello everybody,

My current PC (In my system specs) is getting outdated and I think it's time to replace some components. For now I'm looking to upgrade the following. My main use for this PC I your average daily usage and gaming. I tend to play flight simulators which are very taxiing at 4K resolutions. So you understand what I'm looking for.

Below are the components I'm replacing, and what I've considered so far or am looking for. Feel free to recommend based on your preference. Thank you all in advance!

CPU - Since most games are better optimized for Intel, been looking into the i7-7700K. But I'm open to suggestions for other Intels, or AMD.

Motherboard - I would like something capable of overclocking well, but not looking to set a world record. Doesn't have to be the absolute best board, as long as it can overclock well, and is a solid board.

Memory - Can't really go wrong with some 2400 rip jaws. Thinking 2x8GB, 16GB total.

SSD - completely clueless as to how big I should go. Depends on whether I want to install games on it or just OS, probably best to try and run the games on it, if not I won't really be taking much advantage of it.

Case - not picky as long as it has really good cable management and decent water cooling capabilities. Fractal Design R5 mid tower looks great for either or.

Windows - I will be upgrading to windows 10

AlienIsGOD says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. Eric3988

Eric3988

Thanks Received:
    I have the Fractal case and hands down it's the best case I've ever had. It's quiet and keeps the dust out very well. Temps aren't more than 5 above ambient for me too.

As far as your SSD, that's gotta be your call there. It's nice to have your system boot fast, but how often will you do that? If you're just going for games, I would suggest <500 GB m2 from any of the reputable companies. Plenty of space and great speed.

I've heard that the i7700k isn't a big step up from the 6700k, so personally I would get the cheaper last gen CPU, unless I'm missing something. If you're into OCing spring for a better cooler than me. The H60 from Corsair is not impressive even with an extra fan on the radiator.

As for the mobo, something like mine is fine for what you're looking for.

rtwjunkie and Chicken Patty say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  3. 64K

Thanks Received:
    Is a GPU in your upgrade budget? At 4K you really need more GPU than a 970. I would recommend a GTX 1080 at least and a GTX 1080 Ti would be better but that would depend on what settings you are comfortable with.

Caring1, rtwjunkie and Chicken Patty say thanks.
  4. Countryside

Countryside

Thanks Received:
    My quick recommendation would be this

Ryzen 1700x

Asus PRIME X370-PRO

Cant go wrong with ripjaws @2666

SSD EVO850 120 or 250 for OS and other programs and WD 1TB or 2TB for games and other stuff.

EVGA 1070 FTW

With Fractal Design R5 case i think you already nailed it.

Chicken Patty says thanks.
  5. Eric3988

Eric3988

Thanks Received:
    A 1070 would be nice, but I think if you decide to upgrade the GPU, you should wait for a price drop with Vega incoming within a couple of months

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    Yeah as far as case I think I really am set on that one, of course open to suggestions. But that case does seem great. For cooling I was looking into the Swiftech H240. From why I've read it's pretty damn good. Do see a lot of complaints about leaks. But that can always be shipping damage, or not installed properly.

I've also heard the 7700K is not much of a step up either, but I'd have to research on that to see for sure. Thank you for your recommendations!

It isn't right now, but if need be it can be. GTX 1080 is what I was looking into if I decided to upgrade it now as well. You think that the GPU would make more of a difference than a better CPU/motherboard/RAM combo?

Seems like a solid build, if have to price this out and look into the specifics of these components. Only problem I have with going the AMD route is that I mostly play flight simulators such as X-Plane, or Prepar3d. They tend to run better on intel/nvidia PC's. I would hate to buy a great processor and just not use it where it shines. Your thoughts?

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    from what i've read cpu only really underperforms at 1080P and below in gaming in regards to Ryzen 1700x (well ryzen 7 and 5 in general), but since you are looking at 4k there shouldnt be a problem :) plus 8c/16t for world community grid at ryzens prices is a steal over a competing intel imo

Chicken Patty and Countryside say thanks.
  8. 5DVX0130

5DVX0130

Thanks Received:
    The most important question: What is your budget?

CPU - There is minimal difference between the R5 1600/R7 1700 and the 7700k in 4K gaming. So you might consider the Ryzen lineup, if 4K is you main goal. Plus, the platform is only going to get better with time, and you get all the benefits of more cores in everything else.

[​IMG]

Motherboard – ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon.
    Good quality, cheap and they both do a decent OC.
    Memory – Prices have gone up 75% in the last year, so get whatever you can get the cheapest.
    If you can afford it, then I'd suggest the F4-3200C15D-16GVK (3200MHz 16-18-18-38 Samsung B-die).
    GPU – Since you want 4K gaming go with at least a 1070. I’d recommend the 1080 though, and if you can afford it the 1080ti.
    Avoid the Founders Edition cards though.
    SSD – Get a 250-500GB Samsung 850 Evo for system, programs and your most played game. For everything else add a 3TB+ WD Red.
    Case - Fractal Design R5 is a great case. You might also consider the older R4, which can be had for less and is in my opinion built a bit sturdier.

9. Vya Domus

Vya Domus

Thanks Received:
    If 4K is your aim , there is no point in going any further than something like a R5 1600. Use the leftover cash for the GPU.

10. Norton

Norton Moderator & WCG-TPU Captain Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Noctua NH-U14S ($65 at Amazon) would be my recommendation- excellent performance, super easy install, and plenty of ram clearance :cool:

That Fractal case is a solid choice- highly recommended!!!

As far as the rest- both AMD and Intel are putting out some nice stuff atm so I really think you would be happy with either brand

infrared, eidairaman1, Kursah and 3 others say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    Pointless getting a 1080 as a good 1070 can OC to 1080 speeds. Just fork out the money for a 1080Ti. Think of it as a long term investment and it will be a bloody long term investment seeing as youre still running a 2600k which is probably choking to death on its on silicon by now.

10 Year Member at TPU
  12. 5DVX0130

5DVX0130

Thanks Received:
    He might also consider the Noctua NH-D14. Same price, a bit better performance, and massive enough to provide passive cooling for a 95W CPU.
    Got one sitting on a X4 945, no fans, and it never goes past 65C.
    As an added bonus, they can be had for dirt cheap used.

13. Countryside

Countryside

Thanks Received:
    I will not give my head but you should be fine playing your simulators on the ryzen.

Mostly my recommendation stays the same but it depends on your budged.

You can save money with 1600 but in the future you might need those 1700 extra cores and threads.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    Chicken Patty and AlienIsGOD say thanks.
  14. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    Honestly CP, your 2600k is still plenty powerful by todays standards. OC it to 4.5GHz or more and run it for another year unless you have another reason to upgrade. All you really need to be 4k ready is a GPU upgrade, think 1080ti. A 500 GB or bigger SSD would be a nice addition, but not mandatory.

Caring1, rtwjunkie, infrared and 2 others say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    Thanks to everybody who has pitched on so far. When I get home I'll look into this all in more detail and start to finalize on some things. Then I'll head back here and let you all know how it's all going. You guys rock:rockout::rockout::rockout:

Countryside says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    You know I was just thinking the same thing. But I don't know if this stuff is worn down already, or I got a dud. I can't get it stable pat 4.1GHz to save my life. Or maybe I'm just extremely rusty lol.

I can try to overlock this some more, upgrade the GPU which will work if I go forward with the build anyways. See how that works. If not then I get the rest.

AsRock says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    If i was you just buy a 1080 or even Ti and see if it runs your games well enough, if it don't time to get some more CPU grunt.

Caring1 and Chicken Patty say thanks.
  18. Tomgang

Tomgang

Thanks Received:
    If you havent overclock your I7 2600K yes K CPU yet. it about darn time you do it and use the free power you paid for back then you got it.

Besides that SSD Crucial MX300 525 GB or samsung 850 EVO 500 GB is a great place to start with.

GTX 1080 TI is what you want for 4K and besides use more money on GPU for 4K than CPU cause at 4K here it is GPU that are most limiting factor.

And then upgrade your old system from win 7 to Win 10.

maybe try and find some old and faster DDR3 memory, that can also give you a few ekstra FPS in games.

Else i dont think i would change much in your system.

19. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    Thanks guys. Going to look into overclocking this some more. Currently at 4.1GHz which is a small OC from the default speed. I'll probably go ahead and get the 1080Ti since I can use it with a later build if I decide I need the extra GPU power anyways. See how that goes, then go from there. Good point on the memory, maybe I can find some good DDR3 to help things out a tad.

Estaric and infrared say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    you should be able to hit at least 4.6Ghz with that board. Possibly even 4.8 if youre lucky. I had a Z68 board that ran my 2500k at 4.9Ghz though the board itself was a 'pro' model so your board might possible be lacking in the VRM/mosfet department and im too tired to check for you lol.

10 Year Member at TPU
  21. CAPSLOCKSTUCK

CAPSLOCKSTUCK Spaced Out Lunar Tick

Thanks Received:

i would do exactly that ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

22. Tomgang

Tomgang

Thanks Received:
    Yeah old system if properly fine tuned can still run games great. My own old X58 system eats every game i have thrown at it with out a hassel so far. Try out your old system first and if it not perform as you want it to, you can al ways upgrade it.

And if you want to upgrade at least wait for coofee lake/skylake E/AMD ryzen threadripper. I would at least. The next chapter in CPU from the two can maybe be one of the most exciting releases in years cause intel for the first time in years now have proper thread from AMD this time around and the fact that there are not that long time to release.

23. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    You guys are right. I decided to grab a GPU as my budget allowed and got a regular 1080. Local store had a better deal on the 1080's, and since I hate waiting I just snatched it. Really was looking into the 1080Ti but it's a bit more than what I'd like to spend on a card. I saw some reviews and it pretty much doubles the performance of my current GPU from what I saw in 4K gaming. So I'll install it in a bit, and let you guys know. :) :toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  24. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    Alright so I fired up my flight simulator in an area where I have some photo real scenery, add on airports and I know usually takes a toll on my system. Before around this area I'd get anywhere between 13-16 FPS depending on weather and if a lot of clouds had to get drawn, etc. Right off the bat I was getting 45-50fps. I cranked up some settings I was very pleased with the results. I managed to maintain about 22-23fps with settings turned up considerably. I do think that the CPU needs to be overclocked a bit. My next focus is to clean out the case (dust, fans, etc) and with the cooler temps, let it rip if I can get it stable any higher that is. :roll::roll::roll:

rtwjunkie says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. Caring1

Caring1

Thanks Received:
    Replace the TIM on the CPU and hopefully that will drop it a few degrees and allow a better overclock.

XSI and Chicken Patty say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU