• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Titan ITX status. (placeholder)

Sean.Crees

Any fan spinning faster than 1000rpm is too loud, and a 70mm fan spinning that slow isn't going to push enough air. Also there are tonality issues with 70mm fans. Finding quiet 80mm, or 120mm fans is much easier. The bigger the fan, the slower it can spin and still give proper cooling. Personally I don't run any fans over 800rpm in any of my systems.

Also all stock GPU heatsink/fans are too loud, hence necessitating some sort of aftermarket cooling. All aftermarket air coolers I can find are 3 slot solutions only.

That all said, my biggest hurdle has always been finding the right sized enclosure, and your enclosure is as close to the perfect size I've been able to find. I can always just buy a riser card one slot higher and mod your chassis to fit it. There appears to be enough vertical clearance for it to fit. Then just use a 4.75" hole saw to cut fan holes in the top and bottom. I'd probably want top and bottom panels without vents so the final product looks clean. I'd rather have wire fan grills than stamped vents in the case panels.

Processor i7 2600k@4.6ghz
Motherboard MSI z68ma-ed55
Cooling Silentx Extreem 120mm
Memory 2x4gb XMS 7-8-7-20 1600
Video Card(s) HD6870
Storage 2x128gb Kingston Hyper-X (Raid0), 2x750gb RE3 (RAID1), 2x750gb RE3 (RAID1)
Display(s) Soyo 24", Gateway 22"
Case Fractal Design Arc Mini 6x120mm fans.
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Zalman 750w
Software Windows 7
Any fan spinning faster than 1000rpm is too loud, and a 70mm fan spinning that slow isn't going to push enough air. Also there are tonality issues with 70mm fans.

The fans don't need to move alot of air when the system is idle. When under load they will kick up but the GPU is still louder. Aftermarket coolers are quieter but if you raise the GPU, you will loose the optical, 2.5", and 3.5" mounts. You can probably stick a 2.5" on top of the PSU. At this point there's enough room there.

What you intend with 120mm fans will take some moding. I don't think your going to get a 120mm fan anywhere in here (except above the CPU) unless you raise the GPU and use a 2-slot GPU cooler. Then you will have room for a 120mm and a drive or two.

Sean.Crees

The fans don't need to move alot of air when the system is idle. When under load they will kick up but the GPU is still louder. Aftermarket coolers are quieter but if you raise the GPU, you will loose the optical, 2.5", and 3.5" mounts. You can probably stick a 2.5" on top of the PSU. At this point there's enough room there.

What you intend with 120mm fans will take some moding. I don't think your going to get a 120mm fan anywhere in here (except above the CPU) unless you raise the GPU and use a 2-slot GPU cooler. Then you will have room for a 120mm and a drive or two.

All I need is a single 2.5" drive bay. I only use SSDs in my systems and use external NAS for mass storage. Keeps the computers quiet and allows the data to be used by multiple systems.

Your case is 3.5" thick which is the same as 2U cases. 2U allows for 75mm high CPU coolers. The Big Shuriken is 45mm, and the 120mm nexus is 25mm, leaving 5mm to spare. So no problems with a 120mm fan on the CPU.

I have found 2U cases with 3 horizontal expansion slots, so I know I can get a riser card one higher than what you are using now and it'll fit. That would give me enough space under a 2 slot GPU for a 120mm fan.

That gives me a system with 2 120mm fans running at 800rpm, and the PSU fan with no mechanical HDDs. The loudest thing would probably be the 80mm fan in the PSU.

Sean.Crees

What about making the GPU 1 slot higher and putting the optical/drive bays under the GPU instead of above it? It shouldn't affect price, size, or drive capabilities, and it would allow those that don't want an optical drive and instead a 3 slot GPU to do so.

Video Card(s) HD6870
Storage 2x128gb Kingston Hyper-X (Raid0), 2x750gb RE3 (RAID1), 2x750gb RE3 (RAID1)
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Zalman 750w
Software Windows 7
I wanted the GPU inlet on the bottom of the chassis. If the GFX were to draw in say ~10c warmer air (from inside the chassis) the GFX's fan would have to run faster. Remember, this was designed to suit a wide market and offer as many features as I could fit in the space allowed. There are likely more people who would use a 3.5" or 3.5"+SSD then there are -only- an SSD with a 3-slot GFX card. In addition, those who do not want to use a GFX card can add another 3.5" drive. If someone wanted to make a 2-drive NAS out of this (plus an SSD for OS), they can. :)

Sean.Crees

Well either way ill be buying one as soon as they are available. Speaking of which, any idea when they might be available to buy?

Just don't be upset if the first thing I do with it is hack it up with a dremel and hole saw.

Sean.Crees

So i was wondering if you knew where the cheapest place to get a 1 off steel chassis made? You seem to have contacted numerous contractors to get lots of quotes for this case, i thought maybe you might be able to recommend someone to me.

Here are some pics of what I'm thinking of, it's 12.5" x 12.5", x 3.5". I drew up the case and a basic layout for it in Sketchup. I left the PC components intentionally vague so as to not slow down Sketchup when panning view around. The black parts are a foam duct and thermal barrier. As you can see i had to shave about 2mm off the top of the SFX PSU to get the 120mm fan to fit above it.

The case is very detailed though, and i left out cutouts on purpose. I figure the hardest part is getting the case the right size. I can do all the hole cutouts and internal structural work myself. I wanted to keep it as simple as possible so as to keep cost of production down. I'd only want 1, so i don't have to worry about spending a bunch of time cutting holes for every case like you do.

What do you think? See any potential pitfalls? You've been through this process further than i have, so i figure you would have more insight than I.

Attachments

• ITX Box ISO.jpg
    ITX Box ISO.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 613
  • ITX Box Front.jpg
    ITX Box Front.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 671
  • ITX Box Rear.jpg
    ITX Box Rear.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 562
  • ITX Box Bottom.jpg
    ITX Box Bottom.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 649
  • ITX Box Top.jpg
    ITX Box Top.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 525
  • ITX Layout ISO 1.jpg
    ITX Layout ISO 1.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 664
  • ITX Layout ISO 2.jpg
    ITX Layout ISO 2.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 646
Video Card(s) HD6870
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Zalman 750w
Software Windows 7
So i was wondering if you knew where the cheapest place to get a 1 off steel chassis made?

I don't. Parts are all fairly expensive due to the setup time for the machines. I personally know the owners of the shops in my area so it was somewhat inexpensive for me to get rapid prototyping. I would suggest going to a local shop (bring your completed and accurate prints, dxf, dwf, step, cad, etc) and speak with someone there. Some shops don't mind knocking out a part or two to help get you started.

Sean.Crees

I had some updated parts test cut on some scrap today. Here's the 13.5x3.5" rear panel. Judging by the I/O shield, you can get a better idea of it's size.

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=44830&stc=1&d=1324597525

So i was going over the sketchup I'm making for the case i want, and i noticed a discrepancy with your backplate. I'm designing mine to use a 2U riser card just like you said you're doing with yours, but my backplate cutout for expansion cards is a full slot higher than yours. Are you using a 1U riser card by mistake, or by design?

This is what the back of my case looks like so far.

Attachments

• ITX Box Rear ISO.jpg
    ITX Box Rear ISO.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 557

Sean.Crees

I think i have finally finished this sketchup model. I have double and triple checked every measurement. Here are pics with the top cover closed. If you'd like i can send you the sketchup i have, maybe it could help you with your case.

Attachments

• Rear ITX Case.jpg
    Rear ITX Case.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 901
  • Front ITX Case.jpg
    Front ITX Case.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 620
  • Top ITX Case.jpg
    Top ITX Case.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 675
  • Right Side ITX Case.jpg
    Right Side ITX Case.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 698
  • Left Side ITX Case.jpg
    Left Side ITX Case.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 636
  • Bottom ITX Case.jpg
    Bottom ITX Case.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 673
Video Card(s) HD6870
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Zalman 750w
Software Windows 7
Google sketchup is ok to whip up concept drawings but I don't think it will output a format that can head straight to the shop for production. A laser or waterjet would likely use a DXF format that's ready to go with all your edges, holes, bend radius/k-factors, and relief radiuses in place. Those values will depend on the material type, thickness, and machines being used.

That seems like an aweful lot of air flow. :confused: Just a heads up on axial fans... They do not function well when placed near an object (on it's inlet side) closer then roughly the fans thickness. A 120x25mm fan, for example, should be 25mm away from anything. Try it on the desk when you get a chance. The 360 slim uses an axial as a puller right against the heatsink. I bet that fan is opperating below 50% of it's rated cfm. It was cheap and easy for MS though.

I think i have finally finished this sketchup model. I have double and triple checked every measurement. Here are pics with the top cover closed. If you'd like i can send you the sketchup i have, maybe it could help you with your case.

Last edited:

Sean.Crees

Google sketchup is ok to whip up concept drawings but I don't think it will output a format that can head straight to the shop for production. A laser or waterjet would likely use a DXF format that's ready to go with all your edges, holes, bend radius/k-factors, and relief radiuses in place. Those values will depend on the material type, thickness, and machines being used.

That seems like an aweful lot of air flow. :confused: Just a heads up on axial fans... They do not function well when placed near an object (on it's inlet side) closer then roughly the fans thickness. A 120x25mm fan, for example, should be 25mm away from anything. Try it on the desk when you get a chance. The 360 slim uses an axial as a puller right against the heatsink. I bet that fan is opperating below 50% of it's rated cfm. It was cheap and easy for MS though.

I was reading online, and there is a free utility i can get to convert the sketchup into any of the CAD formats. I was very detailed in all of my measurements, sometimes down to 6 decimal places of a millimeter. The only thing i wasn't sure how to do was bend radius', i just did 90 degree bends.

The three axial fans on top are intake, so there wont' be anything near the inlet side, the inlet side is the top of the case. I am going to use Scythe Gentle Typhoons which are known to have great static pressure, and are double ball bearing so using them in a horizontal position won't hamper them at all. Gentle Typhoons are also one of the quietest fans on the market if you get the 800rpm version. They are around 30CFM each. The only axial fan that may have issues is the thin one under the graphics card, it only has around a 1/4" space under it, but it's just there to provide some sort of airflow to the VRM's, it doesn't have to be a lot, just as long as it's better than nothing. It's more to direct air, not to move air, and i may not even need it i just put it there in case i do. There are no exhaust fans, this is a positive air pressure design. PSU air is directed out the side via a foam duct, so PSU air won't increase internal case temperatures at all. All other hot air from the CPU and GPU are exhausted out the back of the chassis.

Video Card(s) HD6870
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Zalman 750w
Software Windows 7
The only thing i wasn't sure how to do was bend radius', i just did 90 degree bends.

Depends on the dies and materials. As long as you have the folded od the shops can figure it out.

jobsmxli

So I my suppose this product is not going that well. Anyway, I'll find the ml05 fun to play with.

Last edited:

darckhart

found your thread while googling. very interested in this project. any new progress?

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
anything on this little bit of awesome ? I want one

Video Card(s) HD6870
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Zalman 750w
Software Windows 7
It amounts to me not being able to find a cad guy willing to work on the side. Those that own the software paid 1000s for it and charge just as much to draw with it. It's a shame really because I know a fluent designer could whip this up in a few hours. That and my hands are tied between my store and my vehicle. The store is doing well and soon I'll have the funds to bite the bullet and pay these guys.

Everything is sourced though and just waiting on production quality drawings. Sorry about the delays.

Main Performance PC

It amounts to me not being able to find a cad guy willing to work on the side. Those that own the software paid 1000s for it and charge just as much to draw with it. It's a shame really because I know a fluent designer could whip this up in a few hours. That and my hands are tied between my store and my vehicle. The store is doing well and soon I'll have the funds to bite the bullet and pay these guys.

Everything is sourced though and just waiting on production quality drawings. Sorry about the delays.

Hi Lazzer,

Can you please PM me your contact information? My company is interested in your design.

Processor Intel i7 920 (stock)
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5
Cooling Noctua NH-U12P (2x120mm on the case, 2x120mm on the HS)
Memory 3x2GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) BFG GTX 275 OC
Storage 256GB Samsung 830, 1TB WD Black
Case Lian Li PC-A05N
Power Supply PC Power and Cooling S75QB
Software Win 8
I've been obsessing for the last week or so about just how small I could make a potent new machine. I've currently got an i7-920 and a GTX 275 in a Lian-Li PC-A05N; my goal with that build was "smallest possible system, off-the-shelf, with full-size components". Now, I look at ATX and think... what am I doing? I only ever use one expansion slot, what a waste!

So, I've been fantasizing about how small things could get with an mITX board and a SFX PSU. Things like the FT-03 Mini... and then I found this thread, along with things like the FNW Tiki and the Alienware x51.

And then, I happen to run across this article today: http://www.techpowerup.com/185264/s...es-raven-to-mini-itx-gaming-build-worthy.html

The plastic shroud/surround is pretty hideous, but it looks like Silverstone's about to start competing in your niche!

Video Card(s) HD6870
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Zalman 750w
Software Windows 7
It's funny how all these companies crawl out of the woodwork with an ITX chassis about a year after I contact them. :rolleyes:

System Name Orange_box
Processor i5-3570K (@ 4.4 Jiggahurtz ;)
Motherboard P8Z77-I DELUXE
Cooling Thermalright Archon with 2 TY-140
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengence LP (1600)
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 1060 6G
Storage Samsung 850 EVO + Samsung 840 EVO + 4TB WD
Display(s) Samsung 24''
Case Bitfenix Prodigy (orange)
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar U3
Power Supply Corsair 750 W
Mouse Roccat Kone
Keyboard Logitech (el cheapo)
Software W10pro x64 / Manjaro XFCE x64
Benchmark Scores who cares...
I've been obsessing for the last week or so about just how small I could make a potent new machine. I've currently got an i7-920 and a GTX 275 in a Lian-Li PC-A05N; my goal with that build was "smallest possible system, off-the-shelf, with full-size components". Now, I look at ATX and think... what am I doing? I only ever use one expansion slot, what a waste!

So, I've been fantasizing about how small things could get with an mITX board and a SFX PSU. Things like the FT-03 Mini... and then I found this thread, along with things like the FNW Tiki and the Alienware x51.

And then, I happen to run across this article today: http://www.techpowerup.com/185264/s...es-raven-to-mini-itx-gaming-build-worthy.html

The plastic shroud/surround is pretty hideous, but it looks like Silverstone's about to start competing in your niche!

I was doing the same as you for some time and finally few weeks ago I update my computer with mini-ITX build (see my system specs)...
in my case I decided to go with Prodigy simply because I already had the Termalright Archon which is one of the tallest heatsinks... I wanted to keep it because I like the performance of it: both cooling & noise wise; so in my case, Prodigy was the only case capable of accepting it...
however, the only point I miss from my previous, ATX based setup, is the external sound card...
I do hear difference between cheap XtremeGamer and onboard audio with the same headset (Roccat Kave); note that Kave is not an audiophile grade gear, but apparently good enough to show difference between analog audio paths (the main difference between onboard and add-on sound card)

System Name Orange_box
Processor i5-3570K (@ 4.4 Jiggahurtz ;)
Motherboard P8Z77-I DELUXE
Cooling Thermalright Archon with 2 TY-140
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengence LP (1600)
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 1060 6G
Storage Samsung 850 EVO + Samsung 840 EVO + 4TB WD
Display(s) Samsung 24''
Case Bitfenix Prodigy (orange)
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar U3
Power Supply Corsair 750 W
Mouse Roccat Kone
Keyboard Logitech (el cheapo)
Software W10pro x64 / Manjaro XFCE x64
Benchmark Scores who cares...
It's funny how all these companies crawl out of the woodwork with an ITX chassis about a year after I contact them. :rolleyes:

That is probably because they realized that mini-ITX is the next mATX format... :D the same as white cases - the white became the new black, the same as black became new beige... :laugh:

Video Card(s) HD6870
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Zalman 750w
Software Windows 7
Revolt: i don't like the type of psu they use. plus its very ugly.
Bolt: i don't like the type of psu they use.
Raven: looks a little big
Tiki: near complete rip-off of your design.
x51: uses external psu. not a bad decision, but limits you in terms of what you can use for components.

MightyMouth

Titan ITX production prototype soon. (You'll love what I've done with the place)

What is everyone's opinions (pros and cons) of the following chassis/systems.

x51 (Alienware)
Tiki (Falcon Northwest)
Revolt (iBuypower)
Bolt (Digital Storm)
Raven ITX (Silverstone)

• x51 - Would look ok under the TV as a Steam box console replacement - Overpriced, the chassis must be 1/3 of the price considering the components.
  • Tiki - Nice, sleek and stylish. :eek: How much? They are charging at least $800 for the chassis because the components work out to less than $900.
  • Revolt - Ugly but might be a decent alternative to the x51 - again way over priced
  • Bolt - Fugly, way over priced. wouldnt even consider.
  • Raven - Not sure what they are thinking with this one, their cases are usually quite nice looking but this looks like a left over desktop PC from 2003. If they made it look a little more like the RV04 then I would consider it. Saying that, out of this lot, this is the one I would buy because I want a self build and this is the only option until the Titan-ITX is available. I think I will hold out for yours.

Come on, release yours already!!! :laugh:

ps. I would be happy to buy a prototype :D