• We've upgraded our forums. Please post any issues/requests in this thread.

OFFICIAL Tomb Raider (Discussion)

So far, given the way you write and especially your avatar, I've read all your posts in my head in Cartman's voice. Even if your arguments aren't successful, you are. :rockout:
Right now hes try'n to convince Stan, Kyle and Kenny. TressFX is no biggy while even Kenny is running it at 60fps with TressFX on.

Wait until he realizes he has a 660 TI and starts cursing at it. :laugh:

The links to TombRaider bechmarks are posted in this thread in Post #83 & #84

There has been 2 game updates and 2 driver updates to help Nvidia performance.

Last edited:
Processor Intel i7 950 @ 3.2GHz
Motherboard ASUS P6X58D-E
Cooling Corsair H50 push/pull
Memory Kingston HyperX 1600 8GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 7970 OC
Storage Plextor M5P 128GB/WD Black 2x1TB,1x6TB/Seagate 1TB
Display(s) Panasonic TC-L32U3
Case Antec DF-85
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371 AVR
Power Supply XFX 850w Black Edition
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech K120
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Look at your system specs, and maybe try the new beta drivers from NVidia that boost performance in Tomb Raider with TressFX by about 60% on average.

Also TressFX is DirectCompute accelerated. your GTX660ti like my 680 but even worse are weak with DirectCompute which is why performance is hit so hard with it enabled. :shadedshu
Exactly, was going to sufffice with saying my spec doesn't have anywhere near such problems, but you said it better.

Processor AMD Phenom II x6 1090T @ 3.8GHz
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
Cooling Corsair H80i GTX
Memory Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 460 4GB
Storage 1TB WD Red
Display(s) 1920x1080 HDTV
Case NZXT Phantom 240
Power Supply Corsair CX750M 750w
Software Win7 Professional though I hate it, I want XP back!
People give PhysX crap because its only accelerated through CUDA API which only works if you have a certain type of GPU.
I just wanted to revisit this statement because I learned something today.

TressFX isn't even included in the PS3 or Xbox360 versions of the game.

PhysX works on both consoles, as well as the Wii and WiiU.

PhysX works on more hardware than TressFX, so your argument doesn't make any sense.

Look at your system specs, and maybe try the new beta drivers from NVidia that boost performance in Tomb Raider with TressFX by about 60% on average.

Also TressFX is DirectCompute accelerated. your GTX660ti like my 680 but even worse are weak with DirectCompute which is why performance is hit so hard with it enabled. :shadedshu
It isn't just about performance.

If the performance was terrible but the effect was actually good I wouldn't have a problem with it.

But her hair looks like a bunch of shit spaghetti stuck on her head.

No one wants that.

And simply rendering hair should not take that much directcompute power.

Midrange cards should be able to handle that.

Now if TressFX was used for explosions and a lot of things going on on screen then it could use a lot of directcompute power, but it isn't.

It is being used on hair so it shouldn't be using any directcompute power at all.

And everyone said that developers would start to use physics to improve games once a standard was released that worked on both nVidia and AMD, but obviously that didn't happen.

Developers were giving something that works on both and they decided it was best used to render hair.

Not all the cool stuff that it could have been used for.

Not destructible environments or explosions, no, they used it to render hair, and did a shitty job at it too.

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
System Name Gamer
Processor Intel i7-6700K (ES)
Motherboard MSI Aegis TI
Cooling Custom Dragon Cooler
Memory 16 GB Kingston HyperX 2133 MHz C13
Video Card(s) 2x MSI GAMING GTX 980
Storage 2x Intel 600P
Display(s) Dell 3008WFP
Case MSI Aegis Ti
Mouse MSI Interceptor DS B1
Keyboard MSI DS4200 GAMING Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Home
and did a shitty job at it too.
I think this is because the entire world is not physic-reactive, so the hair itself isn't truly manipulated by the environment as in real life.

That said, they need runtimes for each little bit here, one by one..walls...dust, air, ground, persons, cloth, hair...and then they need to sync each up. You're not going to get any really decent physic-based effects until the world itself is actually 100% a physics object.. and we are many years away from that still.

This is simply step one. By a baby. Give that baby time to grow, and it might surprise you of what it is capable of.

I just wanted to revisit this statement because I learned something today.

TressFX isn't even included in the PS3 or Xbox360 versions of the game.

PhysX works on both consoles, as well as the Wii and WiiU.

PhysX works on more hardware than TressFX, so your argument doesn't make any sense.
And console dont accelerate PhysX when included in there games. Only PC versions of those game have acceleration and require Nvidia hardware to do so thru CUDA API.

If TressFX was a PhysX feature it would only be accelerated on Nvidia hardware.

The fact is TressFX works on both major PC GPUs Nvidia and AMD because its using Microsoft DirectX DirectCompute to accelerate not some proprietary API like PhysX Cuda.

Last edited:
Case Antec DF-85
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech K120
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
TressFX isn't a PhysX feature, it's what AMD came up with, and they've never jumped on Nvidia's PhysX bandwagon.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2013/02/26/amd-tressfx/

Note that physics is mentioned, but never once do they refer to "PhysX".

TressFX, like HDAO, works on both AMD and Nvidia GPUs, but AMD has the performance edge with much stronger direct compute power. If you ask me, Nvidia need to step up their game in this regard. They do OK on AA, but that's about it lately.

Cooling Corsair H80i GTX
Storage 1TB WD Red
Case NZXT Phantom 240
The fact is TressFX works on both major PC GPUs Nvidia and AMD because its using Microsoft DirectX DirectCompute to accelerate not some proprietary API like PhysX Cuda.
I shouldn't have to explain the irony of your statement.

Anyone that thinks DirectX isn't a proprietary API is an idiot.

System Name New / Breakin' the Lol
Processor i5 2500k / Athlon64 X2 4200+ (65W)
Motherboard P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 / Asus M2N4-SLI
Cooling / Air (1 x 250mm, 2 x 120mm, 1 x 90mm)
Memory DDR3-1600 (8GB) / Crucial Ballistix Tracer PC2-6400 (2gb)
Video Card(s) / Visiontek 4870
Storage HD103SJ /
Display(s) Viewsonic 22" VX2240W
Case Xigmatek Midgard II / Thermaltake VA8003SWA
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W

I'm pretty sure he was talking about proprietary with regards to the hardware. DirectX is proprietary to the platform.

To elaborate, you could only use the DirectX API on a Microsoft platform. PhysX, however, can be used on a number of different platforms; Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, etc.

Case Antec DF-85
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech K120
Software W10 Pro 64 bit

He means DirectCompute, unlike PhysX, is not exclusive to Nvidia or AMD. Seems obvious to me.

That said, "proprietary" is a bit misleading because PhysX is free for AMD to use. AMD just never chose to get involved with it. Thus, it's only exclusive to Nvidia by AMD's choice.

The word "proprietary" often implies royalties paid, but in the case of PhysX, it's as free to use as any open source software, provided it's used on the platforms it's designed for.

Last edited:

:rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure he was talking about proprietary with regards to the hardware. DirectX is proprietary to the platform.

To elaborate, you could only use the DirectX API on a Microsoft platform. PhysX, however, can be used on a number of different platforms; Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, etc.
Thats what I get for asuming he understands.

Should explain to him that PhysX is only accelerated on Windows PC platforms.

Any other platform its just a tool like any other middleware to enhance the game engine if a developer chooses to incorperate it.

Last edited:
Cooling Corsair H80i GTX
Storage 1TB WD Red
Case NZXT Phantom 240
:rolleyes:

Thats what I get for asuming he understands.

Should explain to him that PhysX is only accelerated on Windows PC platforms.

Any other platform its just a tool like any other middleware to enhance the game engine if a developer chooses to incorperate it.
So you're saying that TressFX is so much better than PhysX because it uses a non-proprietary API, that is actually proprietary, because it allows hardware acceleration of hair on both nVidia and AMD hardware on Windows only while PhysX allows physics to be applied to more than just hair on Windows, OSX, Linux, Android, PS3, Xbox, etc.?

Yep, that makes perfect sense.

Case Antec DF-85
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech K120
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Stop confusing the platform base with proprietary. Proprietary only refers to whom developed and owns it. The platforms it's licensed for is an entirely different issue and not solely the decision of the proprietor.

The word "proprietary" often implies royalties paid, but in the case of PhysX, it's as free to use as any open source software, provided it's used on the platforms it's designed for.
Not too sure about that. Site say its free but when you read the EULA.

2. License. Subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement, NVIDIA grants you (“you”) a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable world-wide, royalty-free license to (a) internally install, use and display the PHYSX SDK, solely for purposes of developing PHYSX asset content for Physics Applications; (b) internally use, copy, modify and compile the Sample Code to design, develop and test PHYSX assets; and (c) reproduce and distribute the Redistributable Code only in object code form and only as fully integrated into Physics Applications, in each case solely for (i) your commercial purposes provided that you receive less than one hundred thousand dollars ($100,000) in gross revenue associated with Physics Applications or (ii) your non-commercial purposes.
Its free unless you make $100,000 or more. Similar to Havok and if they charge the same they pretty much raping developers. The only differance there is Havok doesnt require you to be a marketing tool for them if your paying fees.
With PhysX you pretty much become a NasCar sponsored by Nvidia type deal.

Last edited:
Case Antec DF-85
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech K120
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Not too sure about that. Site say its free but when you read the EULA.
I'm not talking about royalties charged to developers, I'm referring to AMD having been offered things like CUDA and PhysX as free to use technologies. That said, I miss worded the sentence prior to referring to AMD's refusal to use it. It's been edited.

AMD refused, and I can understand why, just as I'd understand if Nvidia didn't want to use TressFX.

I happen to think the tech industry works best when there's more of an atmosphere of competition, it sparks innovation and keeps prices lower.

It's understandable royalties on such tech would scale for software developers, because they are merely using tech that the chip designers create. There's no cost for them to design, test or implement it into a chip. They merely apply it to their own projects, and are even given instruction on how to use it. It's similar to developers being charged a fee for using an engine they didn't create. It's also understandable small scale use of it would be free, so they can make things like tech demos to decide if they want to use it, or start up dev teams trying it out on small test projects.

Personally I don't get why Nvidia and others get blamed for such things. Does not Miicrosoft charge for Office? Does not Adobe charge for Photoshop?

Last edited:
System Name Thakk
Processor i7 6700k @ 4.5Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte G1 Z170N ITX
Cooling Deepcool Maelstrom 120k / H55
Memory 16GB Corsair LPX DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) GTX1080ti Founders Ed. AIO Cooled
Storage Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD / Intel 250GB SSD / Samsung Pro 512 SSD / 3TB Seagate SV32
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 100hz IPS Gsync / HTC Vive
Case Cougar QBX mini itx
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 > Creative Gigaworks T40 > AKG Q701
Power Supply Thermaltake 600w 140mm
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Ducky Shine TKL MX Blue + Vortex PBT Doubleshots
Software Windows 10 64bit
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/fs/12108888
Well it looks like TressFX runs better on an nvidia card with the latest nv beta drivers.. shaving off just 10.4% performance on the GTX680 with TressFX turned on as opposed to the 22.2% performance penalty from the overclocked HD7970.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/03/20/tomb_raider_video_card_performance_iq_review/6

And all this time I thought it was Kepler's crappy compute power that was holding it back.
After reading more on TressFX. It seams the initial AMD boost had more to do with the way AMD was handling instructions. The new Nvidia drivers fixed that so performance should be good on either manufacturer. If I can find the article again I'll link it.

Thats the way it should be. Tech that works good on both so the end user gets the benefit of the product they purchase.

System Name Thakk
Processor i7 6700k @ 4.5Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte G1 Z170N ITX
Cooling Deepcool Maelstrom 120k / H55
Memory 16GB Corsair LPX DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) GTX1080ti Founders Ed. AIO Cooled
Storage Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD / Intel 250GB SSD / Samsung Pro 512 SSD / 3TB Seagate SV32
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 100hz IPS Gsync / HTC Vive
Case Cougar QBX mini itx
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 > Creative Gigaworks T40 > AKG Q701
Power Supply Thermaltake 600w 140mm
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Ducky Shine TKL MX Blue + Vortex PBT Doubleshots
Software Windows 10 64bit
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/fs/12108888
Still doubtfull about the nvidia performance though.. I'm thinking nv driver shaving off a bit of image quality on TR to get those numbers... anybody wants to do an nv-amd comparison count on Lara's tressFx hair strands? :D jk

inb4 bald Lara jokes

Last edited:
Still doubtfull about the nvidia performance though.. I'm thinking nv driver shaving off a bit of image quality on TR to get those numbers... anybody wants to do a nv-amd comparison count on Lara's tressFx hair strands? :D jk
Stop joking around man... :p

Before someone bust out the DirectCompute to CUDA wrapper on you :slap:

Would be funny if either one was doing something like that. Like the old days.
Atleast we'd have something to talk about instead of just waiting for next gen cycle or next good game to come out.

Case Antec DF-85
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech K120
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Still doubtfull about the nvidia performance though.. I'm thinking nv driver shaving off a bit of image quality on TR to get those numbers...
If so, it certainly wouldn't be the first time Nvidia has done such things. I seem to recall an instance where a driver update of their's left a game with lots of texture pop-ins

MxPhenom 216

Corsair Fanboy
System Name The Battlestation
Processor Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.2GHZ 1.275v
Motherboard MSi Z97 Gaming 5
Cooling EK Supremacy w/ EK Coolstream PE360
Memory G. Skill Trident X 16Gb (4x4GB) 2400mhz @ 1.65v
Video Card(s) MSi GTX1070 Gaming X 8GB @ 2GHz
Storage Samsung 830 128GB SSD, Crucial MX200 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB (2x 1TB Partitions)
Display(s) Qnix QX2710 27" 2560 x 1440 PLS @ 100hz
Case Phantek Enthoo Evolv ATX TG
Audio Device(s) MSi Gaming AudioBoost ALC1150 w/ Sennheiser Game Ones
Power Supply Seasonic Flagship Prime Platinum 850
Mouse Steelseries Rival 310 w/ QCK Mass mat
Keyboard Corsair K70 w/ MX Browns and Red Backlit
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 15439
If so, it certainly wouldn't be the first time Nvidia has done such things. I seem to recall an instance where a driver update of their's left a game with lots of texture pop-ins
I think the last time I remember image quality not being the best with an NVidia driver update was with Crysis 1. Things in the distance looked so much better on an AMD card then Nvidia. When both were running AF x16

MxPhenom 216

Corsair Fanboy
System Name The Battlestation
Processor Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.2GHZ 1.275v
Motherboard MSi Z97 Gaming 5
Cooling EK Supremacy w/ EK Coolstream PE360
Memory G. Skill Trident X 16Gb (4x4GB) 2400mhz @ 1.65v
Video Card(s) MSi GTX1070 Gaming X 8GB @ 2GHz
Storage Samsung 830 128GB SSD, Crucial MX200 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB (2x 1TB Partitions)
Display(s) Qnix QX2710 27" 2560 x 1440 PLS @ 100hz
Case Phantek Enthoo Evolv ATX TG
Audio Device(s) MSi Gaming AudioBoost ALC1150 w/ Sennheiser Game Ones
Power Supply Seasonic Flagship Prime Platinum 850
Mouse Steelseries Rival 310 w/ QCK Mass mat
Keyboard Corsair K70 w/ MX Browns and Red Backlit
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 15439
Just updated to Nvidia new beta drivers. Heres the results for you guys 20FPS increase!

TressFX on 314.07 WHQL

TressFX on 314.21 Beta
For this one I kept shadow resolution to Medium, because that is what the Ultimate graphic setting used to set too before the High Shadow resolution setting was available.

nvidia this, amd that ... In the meanwhile

Lara Croft was supposed to be gay, writer reveals

Writer Rhianna Pratchett reveals that she originally wanted Lara Croft to be gay. She believes that having a gay character would be a very interesting change in videogames. However, she doesn't think the industry is ready for that yet. “There's a part of me that would've loved to make Lara gay. I'm not sure Crystal Dynamics would be ready for it!” said Pratchett.
Thoughts?

System Name Red Monster
Processor Intel Core i7 7800X @ 4.7GHz
Motherboard MSI X299 Gaming M7 ACK
Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H115i 280mm
Memory Corsair Vengeance LED 32GB DDR4 3466
Video Card(s) evga GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 iCX
Storage Intel 535 Series 2.5" 480GB SATA /WD Blue 1TB SSD /Radeon R7 240GB SSD /1TB, & 4TB HHD
Display(s) Samsung UN55KS8500 55" 4K & Oculus Rift CV1
Case Corsair Carbide Series Air 540
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZX > Pagoda DAC > multiple amps
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherri MX
Software Windows 10
System Name Windows 7 64-bit Core i5 3570K
Processor Intel Core i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, 1.26 V
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H
Cooling Scythe Katana 4
Memory 4 x 4 GB G-Skill Sniper DDR3 @ 1600 MHz