• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Tom's Hardware Recovers Gold And Silver From CPUs

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified

:cool:

In our first step, the processors are dropped into a bath of concentrated nitric acid. They’re going to spend a while there, as we'll see. And the experience won't be particularly pleasant for them, either.

During this stage, the strong acid reacts with certain metals, particularly copper and silver. Nitric acid has no effect on gold, however.

Interestingly, our K5 doesn’t seem to react to the forced bath...yet.

Let’s throw in a few more processors. On the left, our CPUs have just been tossed into a concentrated nitric acid solution. On the right, after a few minutes, the solution is already taking on a bluish color, characteristic of the presence of copper(II) nitrate, and thus of the Cu2+ ion. It's also important to note that the bath is now giving off a brown gas (nitrogen dioxide, or NO2).

Cu + 4 HNO3 -> Cu(NO3)2 + 2 NO2 + 2 H2O

The reaction can be more rapid (and violent) at times, but it’s always dangerous.

After a few weeks, the solution is very blue, due to the strong presence of Cu2+ ions. The copper and silver (among other things) are dissolved, but not the gold

Now we remove the processors from the bath.Needless to say, they wouldn’t perform quite as well now...

The next step is to filter. Silver is in the solution as silver nitrate (AgNO3), whereas the gold and a few other metals that weren't attacked by the nitric acid, plus the impurities, remain in the filter. We’ll set the filter aside for later and concentrate on the solution.

We add a little sodium chloride (ordinary table salt) to the solution.

It’s magic (well, almost)! The silver in the silver nitrate precipitates and forms silver chloride.

AgNO3(aq) + NaCl(Aq) -> AgCl(s) + NaNO3(aq)

Now we add a little hydrochloric acid. Then, we immerse a piece of zinc in the same solution. Attention: This is an exothermic reaction!

After a few hours, metallic silver becomes noticeable. We also see that the silver chloride precipitate has begun to blacken in the light. The zinc has reacted with the hydrochloric acid to form dihydrogen (and zinc chloride).

Zn + 2 HCl -> H2 + ZnCl2

The dihydrogen will then reduce the silver chloride;

We filter the solution and rinse everything. The result is metallic silver! Let’s let the powder dry...

Now, all we need to do is melt the silver in a crucible with an oxy-butane torch.

And voilà: a pretty little silver coin! Of course, it’s not 100% pure, which is impossible with this kind of do-it-yourself process, but it’s reasonably close. We suspect the presence of platinum, palladium, and rhodium. Let's continue.

We haven't finished with our CPUs yet, though. We still need to get them to give up their gold!

After a short rinsing with distilled water, we put them in a bath of hydrochloric acid and 3% hydrogen peroxide, in a proportion of two to one

You can see the very fine gold wires around the processor die separating. We’ll leave the processors in the bath for a few hours...

After a few hours, we filter the solution to recover the gold flakes and various waste substances.

What’s left behind in the filter is a mixture of various metals and impurities. We put everything in a mixture of 35% hydrochloric acid and 5% chlorine bleach, in a proportion of two to one. The reaction is highly exothermic and produces extremely dangerous chlorine gas (Cl2)!

2 HCl + NaClO -> Cl2 + NaCl + H2O

We filter everything one more time. The filter retains all the impurities, and nothing is left in the solution except gold(III) chloride.

To recover the metallic gold, we need to get the gold that’s in solution to precipitate. For that, we use powdered sodium metabisulfite. In the presence of water, the sodium metabisulfite produces sodium bisulfite.

Na2S2O5 + H2O -> 2 NaHSO3

The sodium bisulfite is what will allow the gold to precipitate.

3 NaHSO3 + 2 AuCl3 + 3 H2O -> 3 NaHSO4 + 6 HCl + 2 Au

Now we need to recover the powder by filtering the solution, then allow it to dry.

It still doesn’t look like gold, and yet…

After drying the gold powder, we need to melt it in a crucible. Our oxy-butane torch can do the job, since the melting point of gold is around 1064°C

The result is a pretty gold BB! As with the silver, our homemade process can’t extract perfectly pure gold, which is one reason why industrial operations use other, more dangerous processes. But that’s another story...
:D
http://www.tomshardware.com/picturestory/576-gold-silver-cpu.html

Last edited:
System Name PC-Chips
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming.
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Air Cooler 6 heat pipes.
Memory Patriot Viper 32gig dual channel 3600mhz
Video Card(s) PowerColor HellHound RX 7900 GRE OC
Storage 2X Samsung 860 EVO SSD's 500gig / 2TB crucial P3-NVME / WD-BLUE SN550 1TB M.2 / SP A55 512gig
Display(s) Panasonic 40-inch 4k TV
Case Modded NZXT H510
Audio Device(s) Realtek S1220A - Yamaha A-S501 AMP - 4 x Wharfedale diamond 9.1 speakers - Wharfedale SW150 sub
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G6 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Some cheap wireless thing
Keyboard Razer Cynosa lite
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2 128gig version
Software Windows 11 pro 64bit
Watched a program called bang goes the theory and they did the same thing as this, Was very intresting, The guy went round the scrap yards getting all the old pc parts.

Last edited:
System Name this_is_so_leet_it_needs_no_name
Processor Intel I5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz
Motherboard Asus P8 P67-M Pro
Cooling MUX-120 with Dual Fan
Memory Samsung Memory DDR3 2133 Overclocked (non LP)
Video Card(s) XFX ATI/AMD 5870 1gb @ [tbc]
Storage 2*2tb Samsung Raid 0 + 64gb Kingston SSD
Display(s) BenQ G2420HDBL LED monitor
Case Lian Li PC-60 old skool alu case
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DX/XD PCI-Express (great)
Power Supply Corsair 650 TX
Software Win 7 64bit
Pretty cool, I wonder was all that gold from a single processor or all the processors they show? Probably the latter I guess.

System Name PC-Chips
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming.
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Air Cooler 6 heat pipes.
Memory Patriot Viper 32gig dual channel 3600mhz
Video Card(s) PowerColor HellHound RX 7900 GRE OC
Storage 2X Samsung 860 EVO SSD's 500gig / 2TB crucial P3-NVME / WD-BLUE SN550 1TB M.2 / SP A55 512gig
Display(s) Panasonic 40-inch 4k TV
Case Modded NZXT H510
Audio Device(s) Realtek S1220A - Yamaha A-S501 AMP - 4 x Wharfedale diamond 9.1 speakers - Wharfedale SW150 sub
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G6 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Some cheap wireless thing
Keyboard Razer Cynosa lite
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2 128gig version
Software Windows 11 pro 64bit
Pretty cool, I wonder was all that gold from a single processor or all the processors they show? Probably the latter I guess.

From all of them

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified

i remember several years ago theres a rumor that these coins contain gold

T

twilyth

I hope no one decides to try this at home, although I should really know better than to think that. Aside from being pretty dangerous, I'm sure the cost of the chemicals would outweigh the value of the relatively impure metals you extract.

System Name Runs Smooth
Processor FX 8350
Motherboard Crosshair V Formula Z
Cooling Corsair H110 with AeroCool Shark 140mm fans
Memory 16GB G-skill Trident X 1866 Cl. 8
Video Card(s) HIS 7970 IceQ X² GHZ Edition
Storage OCZ Vector 256GB SSD & 1Tb piece of crap
Display(s) acer H243H
Case NZXT Phantom 820 matte black
Audio Device(s) Nada
Power Supply NZXT Hale90 V2 850 watt
Software Windows 7 Pro
Benchmark Scores Lesbians are hot!!!
I hope no one decides to try this at home, although I should really know better than to think that. Aside from being pretty dangerous, I'm sure the cost of the chemicals would outweigh the value of the relatively impure metals you extract.

There you go fucking up my fun. I was just getting ready to blow some shit up.

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks, micropage7... :)

Nice find on this.
Not for me, though, I had my fill of chemistry years ago.

System Name RiseZEN Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ Auto
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS DUAL RX 6700 XT DUAL-RX6700XT-12G
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries 5Hv2 w/ Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair RM750x Power Supply
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64-Bit Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...
Todays PC parts have a lot more gold than in them :D